PDA

View Full Version : The part that really stings about letting the NC slip away tonight was...

maroonmania
04-01-2018, 10:09 PM
I really felt we were the better team AND ND did not play very well themselves. They took that game away from us without even playing at the top of their game. I didn't feel that way in our first 2 chances for NCs in that UCLA dominated us at the CWS and SC beat us rather handily last year and given they beat us 3 times its hard to say we were the better team. However, tonight was one we just sort of gave away by not coming out in the second half and playing anything like we are capable of. Maybe we just ran out of gas or maybe the pressure got to us but this one hurts MUCH worse than the first two because it was right there for the taking and we didn't get it done.

CadaverDawg
04-01-2018, 10:18 PM
May be the best opportunity Mississippi State will ever have at a Title, and we were spotted a double digit halftime lead, and still lost. Stings. Can’t waste opportunities like that. They are few and far between. This one will sting a minute.

Quaoarsking
04-01-2018, 10:25 PM
To win a national title, everything just has to line up just perfectly, and who knows if when we'll have another opportunity like this again.

dawgday166
04-01-2018, 10:26 PM
What really stings to me is ... we're the best team in the country if we play our game, not the other team's game.

ChillOutDog
04-01-2018, 10:28 PM
May be the best opportunity Mississippi State will ever have at a Title, and we were spotted a double digit halftime lead, and still lost. Stings. Can’t waste opportunities like that. They are few and far between. This one will sting a minute.

It will, but there’s been 25 losses in the last 25 years that sting more. CWS 2013, Alabama 2014, Syracuse 96, and EggBowl 2014 are my Mount Rushmore. Tennessee 98, Xavier 2004, UK mens SECT 2010, Egg 2017 next up.

maroonmania
04-01-2018, 10:29 PM
To win a national title, everything just has to line up just perfectly, and who knows if when we'll have another opportunity like this again.

Three chances in the last 5 years and this one was the one that we SHOULD have won. We got lucky in baseball in 2013 because we got hot at the right time, didn't even have a great regular season. WBB has given us the other 2 chances but we take a pretty good step back next year there and we don't even know if Vic will stay around long term or not when A&M comes open. I personally don't feel we will win a NC anytime in the near future if ever.

Bully75
04-02-2018, 05:56 AM
I was hoping to see a National championship in my lifetime. This game was the best chance of ever fulfilling that opportunity. I hate it for these girls and our fan base. No national championship should be decided by poor officiating. Neither team played their best game. Officiating turned things around to give ND a chance. Same ref that helped to cost us every loss we experienced in the past two years had a big impact on our game. NCAA should review championship games and eject inept refs accordingly. The no call on Mo cost us a championship in spite of our poor play brought about by biased officiating in the second half. Proud of our team, Administration, and fans. Hail State!

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Three chances in the last 5 years and this one was the one that we SHOULD have won. We got lucky in baseball in 2013 because we got hot at the right time, didn't even have a great regular season. WBB has given us the other 2 chances but we take a pretty good step back next year there and we don't even know if Vic will stay around long term or not when A&M comes open. I personally don't feel we will win a NC anytime in the near future if ever.

Vic is 57. Just throwing that out there.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Vic is 57. Just throwing that out there.

Exactly. A&M isn't open this season, which means the earliest it will is after next when Vic is 58. Say he left. It would take till year 3 to have much of a team, and year 4-5 to be NC contenders. By that point he's 63, a few years away from retiring.

So, Vic can stay and have say 8 years of NC potential, or he can go to A&M and have 3-4 after another tough uphill rebuild. Maybe he does love A&M that much... but he also seems to love winning, and there's no doubt he'd be able to build a better resume here in the time allotted

Coach34
04-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Vic has recruited well. We will take a step back next year but will still likely be Top 25. Next year’s team has got to find some 3 pt shooting

Pit Bull
04-02-2018, 08:49 AM
I really felt we were the better team AND ND did not play very well themselves. They took that game away from us without even playing at the top of their game. I didn't feel that way in our first 2 chances for NCs in that UCLA dominated us at the CWS and SC beat us rather handily last year and given they beat us 3 times its hard to say we were the better team. However, tonight was one we just sort of gave away by not coming out in the second half and playing anything like we are capable of. Maybe we just ran out of gas or maybe the pressure got to us but this one hurts MUCH worse than the first two because it was right there for the taking and we didn't get it done.

I felt we were the better team than Syracuse in the Men's Final Four Appearance, but they had a 6'7" & 6'8" that dominated the paint over our 6'11" (Dampier) & 6'10" (Walters). In fact I thought we were much much better than Syracuse. Just goes to show!

msstate7
04-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Vic has recruited well. We will take a step back next year but will still likely be Top 25. Next year’s team has got to find some 3 pt shooting

If TM learns to finish better, they will be really good

Coach34
04-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Yep- that 7/19 last night from 6 feet and in last night was a killer

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 09:39 AM

If you go back and watch Her misses, at least 5 of them she got fouled on the shot. Ref for some reason let other players Mug T. Just because She is 6'7" doesn't mean you can foul Her. On the other hand in the 3td quarter there were fouls called on us with them driving that were questionable. A touch foul on a guard should also be a touch foul on a 6'7" player.( but it is not). When Her shots go sideways there is a reason.

confucius say
04-02-2018, 09:40 AM

It really was.

BB30
04-02-2018, 09:46 AM
If you go back and watch Her misses, at least 5 of them she got fouled on the shot. Ref for some reason let other players Mug T. Just because She is 6'7" doesn't mean you can foul Her. On the other hand in the 3td quarter there were fouls called on us with them driving that were questionable. A touch foul on a guard should also be a touch foul on a 6'7" player.( but it is not). When Her shots go sideways there is a reason.

Those were questionable fouls at best...She should have finished the play on the majority of those. There was very little contact that shouldn't have altered her shot. She is a great player and played hard last night but missing those easy buckets absolutely killed us. And then when she got to the line she didn't capitalize on FTs. Our team just didn't play their best basketball point blank.

BeardoMSU
04-02-2018, 09:48 AM
7/19

That number is really depressing...

BrunswickDawg
04-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Someone needs to focus T on using the glass more on offense. Almost all her misses clank off the back of the rim. The back board is there for a reason - use it.

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Those were questionable fouls at best...She should have finished the play on the majority of those. There was very little contact that shouldn't have altered her shot. She is a great player and played hard last night but missing those easy buckets absolutely killed us. And then when she got to the line she didn't capitalize on FTs. Our team just didn't play their best basketball point blank.

says You? so, if the foul is questionable, it is OK. You try to shoot with you arm being hit.