PDA

View Full Version : Refs did not cost us this game ...

dawgday166
04-01-2018, 09:05 PM
We beat ourselves in the 3rd qtr. We suffocated them in the 2nd with pressure D and they scored 3 lousy points the whole qtr. Think about that, we held one of the top 4 teams to 3 freakin points in a qtr.

We started playing "not to lose in 3rd qtr. In the 3rd, for some reason we started jogging down the court getting back on D, so much so that we got beat back down on fast break about 3 or 4 times. We quit moving our feet on D and heavy slow gals are driving right past us and no one would move to help either. And when you don't move your feet on D, you start picking up cheap fouls cause you're always reaching. That's why we got into foul trouble. We quit, for some unknown reason, playing the suffocating pressure D we were playing. And we also let Ogunbowale get into a shooting rhythm cause we weren't guarding her, which she couldn't do in 1st two qtrs cause we were all over her all the time. You can't let a shooter like her get into a groove. They'll kill you.

We also quit moving effectively on offense. And unlike this year, it wasn't because we were gassed early in game. ND was the one gassed in 2nd qtr. Vic gave our gals the rest they needed this year.

Sure we were uptight shooting the ball, but no more than in the 2nd and we still put up a 13 point lead on them at halftime. When not shooting well, D like 2nd qtr will bail you out. We keep playing D in 3rd, we're up over 20 going into 4th. D in 2nd led to easy points for us. Lack of D in 3rd led to easy points for them. We got lazy, hesitant, starting thinking of winning a Natty, or something. The 3rd qtr is really the only time this year I've seen them do anything like this, to this degree.

We played ND's game in 3rd and 4th qtrs, not our game. And it cost us. It's why we lose to USCe when we do too.

ETA: And there is really no adjustment ND can make to the suffocating D. They don't have the stamina, quickness, or the ball handlers to handle it.

Bodaski
04-01-2018, 09:50 PM
I disagree to an extent. The refs came out after the half and started calling everything on us. They literally took our aggressive defense away by getting everyone in foul trouble. It was a totally different officiated game than the first half. But, I also think we tried to control the clock y playing for one shot in every possession. I believe we had 3 or 4 30second violations in the 3rd qtr. I don't think we managed the clock at the end. We still had a foul to give and a TO. Still proud of Vic, asst coaches and the team.

Tbonewannabe
04-01-2018, 10:02 PM
I disagree to an extent. The refs came out after the half and started calling everything on us. They literally took our aggressive defense away by getting everyone in foul trouble. It was a totally different officiated game than the first half. But, I also think we tried to control the clock y playing for one shot in every possession. I believe we had 3 or 4 30second violations in the 3rd qtr. I don't think we managed the clock at the end. We still had a foul to give and a TO. Still proud of Vic, asst coaches and the team.

This was a HUGE factor to the game. Our defense didn't look as great but the refs started calling touch fouls on them that was not happening in the first half. Once our girls started getting in foul trouble, it led to us backing off even more and it snowballed.

Coach007
04-01-2018, 10:09 PM
This was a HUGE factor to the game. Our defense didn't look as great but the refs started calling touch fouls on them that was not happening in the first half. Once our girls started getting in foul trouble, it led to us backing off even more and it snowballed.

This is why I think bookies and vegas are pulling strings. We were a 2.5 favorite. we were killing them...

Spiderman
04-01-2018, 10:10 PM
We beat ourselves in the 3rd qtr. We suffocated them in the 2nd with pressure D and they scored 3 lousy points the whole qtr. Think about that, we held one of the top 4 teams to 3 freakin points in a qtr.

We started playing "not to lose in 3rd qtr. In the 3rd, for some reason we started jogging down the court getting back on D, so much so that we got beat back down on fast break about 3 or 4 times. We quit moving our feet on D and heavy slow gals are driving right past us and no one would move to help either. And when you don't move your feet on D, you start picking up cheap fouls cause you're always reaching. That's why we got into foul trouble. We quit, for some unknown reason, playing the suffocating pressure D we were playing. And we also let Ogunbowale get into a shooting rhythm cause we weren't guarding her, which she couldn't do in 1st two qtrs cause we were all over her all the time. You can't let a shooter like her get into a groove. They'll kill you.

We also quit moving effectively on offense. And unlike this year, it wasn't because we were gassed early in game. ND was the one gassed in 2nd qtr. Vic gave our gals the rest they needed this year.

Sure we were uptight shooting the ball, but no more than in the 2nd and we still put up a 13 point lead on them at halftime. When not shooting well, D like 2nd qtr will bail you out. We keep playing D in 3rd, we're up over 20 going into 4th. D in 2nd led to easy points for us. Lack of D in 3rd led to easy points for them. We got lazy, hesitant, starting thinking of winning a Natty, or something. The 3rd qtr is really the only time this year I've seen them do anything like this, to this degree.

We played ND's game in 3rd and 4th qtrs, not our game. And it cost us. It's why we lose to USCe when we do too.

ETA: And there is really no adjustment ND can make to the suffocating D. They don't have the stamina, quickness, or the ball handlers to handle it.

Main thing I thought was that although we held them to 3 in the 2nd, we only scored 13. We should have put it away then, but blew to many scoring chances

dawgday166
04-01-2018, 10:19 PM

We didn't play full-court pressure D in 3rd qtr at all. Once they got it inbounds, we were letting them bring it down nice and easy.

We weren't moving our feet or hustling on D. We were reaching instead of getting good position. Pretty much everything they called was a foul in 3rd qtr. That's what happens when you don't move your feet on D. It just does.

dawgday166
04-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Main thing I thought was that although we held them to 3 in the 2nd, we only scored 13. We should have put it away then, but blew to many scoring chances

Yea, but if we hold them to say 8 in the 3rd and put up say 15 on them with easy buckets, then we're up 20 going into 4th. We probably could've done both cause the pressure D would've had their tongues hanging down to their knees by late in 3rd qtr. AND ... they would've been in foul trouble not us. Cause they wouldn't have been moving their feet on D either. That's why they play a zone so much, saves their stamina.

My main worry at halftime was we would quit pressuring them and try to ride it out some. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened.

mparkerfd20
04-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Yes they did. The end.

TrapGame
04-01-2018, 10:38 PM
This is why I think bookies and vegas are pulling strings. We were a 2.5 favorite. we were killing them...

We were on the verge of making it a blow out. The NCAA can't have that. ND had no answer and our girls were on a hot streak.

Bdawg
04-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Yes there were times that I wish we had played better, but we didn’t and those circumstances lead us to a tie game with just seconds left. We made a winning defensive play and was trying to make a winning offensive play when the “non call” occurred. We all know what happened after that. Refs screwed us with too little time to over come their f-up.

MarketingBully
04-01-2018, 10:53 PM
They called nine ****ing fouls on us in the third quarter. Nine. They called nine fouls on us in 10 minutes of play. That is bias. They called 21 fouls on us to 17 on ND for the entire game and I know for a fact ND fouled a heck of a lot more then us. They were able to reach in, body us, and slap and maul McCowan in the third quarter and create turnovers with no calls. Meanwhile, they drew fouls on us that ND was able to get away with. It got us in foul trouble extremely quickly and allowed for ND to make their run to tie up the game in the third quarter.

Bully75
04-02-2018, 05:43 AM
They called nine ****ing fouls on us in the third quarter. Nine. They called nine fouls on us in 10 minutes of play. That is bias. They called 21 fouls on us to 17 on ND for the entire game and I know for a fact ND fouled a heck of a lot more then us. They were able to reach in, body us, and slap and maul McCowan in the third quarter and create turnovers with no calls. Meanwhile, they drew fouls on us that ND was able to get away with. It got us in foul trouble extremely quickly and allowed for ND to make their run to tie up the game in the third quarter.

This is truth!

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2018, 07:49 AM

The suffocating defense was taken away by the refs. They called the game differently after halftime. Had we not backed off everybody would have fouled out. Despite that we made the stop to go for the win and the refs botched it. I also think the reason T missed the shot at the end was because she was fouled. The possession befor that we turned it over after a non-called foul.

Bulldog1
04-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Delete

MarketingBully
04-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Delete

It did not matter who we had in there if they called it tight on us and loose on them we were screwed either way.

Tbonewannabe
04-02-2018, 09:29 AM
The suffocating defense was taken away by the refs. They called the game differently after halftime. Had we not backed off everybody would have fouled out. Despite that we made the stop to go for the win and the refs botched it. I also think the reason T missed the shot at the end was because she was fouled. The possession befor that we turned it over after a non-called foul.

I don't think I have seen any player get hacked consistently like that since Shaq and with very few calls. She was "fouled" 4 times and that is just insane. She was fouled 4 times minimum in every quarter. ND was getting fouls called for them driving the lane and lowering a shoulder initiating contact. T wasn't getting the call when they were just beating on her arms.

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 09:44 AM
forget what happened up till the last seconds. the score is tied --they have the ball--we make a great defensive play and have a run out---BUT--the refs allow ND to tackle MO and somehow-they get the ball. So--Yes the Ref screwed Us. Forget what happened up till that point--that was Katie Bar the Door.

drunkernhelldawg
04-02-2018, 09:48 AM
forget what happened up till the last seconds. the score is tied --they have the ball--we make a great defensive play and have a run out---BUT--the refs allow ND to tackle MO and somehow-they get the ball. So--Yes the Ref screwed Us. Forget what happened up till that point--that was Katie Bar the Door.

I agree. But the original poster makes the valid point that we played ND's game in the second half. I knew they'd be tough like us.

BB30
04-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Vegas isn't pulling anything. The line is set and people betting move it one way or the other. Our D quit stopping penetration and frankly looked like they were in slow motion in the 3rd Qtr. We gave the game away. Regardless of how bad the refs were (which I didn't see that many calls made that were just awful) I think there were more no calls on ND but not that many bad calls on us. Yes, the refs weren't the best but if we take care of business its a non issue.

Turfdawg67
04-02-2018, 10:05 AM
This thread is comedy gold. We should’ve had a 25 pt halftime lead, easily. It wasn’t the refs or Vegas and the mob, but if you need that to ease the hurt, so be it. We played like shit in the 2nd half with our unstoppable Center missing layup after layup or 2ft jumpers. Our best player stood around like a statue on offense, practically the entire half and ND couldn’t buy a 3 pointer the whole game but hit two crucial ones in the last 2 minutes. Did the refs blow some calls, of course they did, they always do, on both teams. Louisville twitter was pissed about the refs when we beat them, but we just laughed that off, just like ND is doing today.

Tbonewannabe
04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
This thread is comedy gold. We should’ve had a 25 pt halftime lead, easily. It wasn’t the refs or Vegas and the mob, but if you need that to ease the hurt, so be it. We played like shit in the 2nd half with our unstoppable Center missing layup after layup or 2ft jumpers. Our best player stood around like a statue on offense, practically the entire half and ND couldn’t buy a 3 pointer the whole game but hit two crucial ones in the last 2 minutes. Did the refs blow some calls, of course they did, they always do, on both teams. Louisville twitter was pissed about the refs when we beat them, but we just laughed that off, just like ND is doing today.

A lot of that had to do with their karate chop defense on her arms while she tried to shoot the ball. I don't know if you have ever played basketball but it is really hard to shoot accurately with someone constantly hitting your elbows and wrists. I wonder if we would have gotten the fouls if we had decided to try and drive the lane like ND was at the other end. I don't know if the refs would have called it even but I do know they didn't when it came to T.

Turfdawg67
04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
A lot of that had to do with their karate chop defense on her arms while she tried to shoot the ball. I don't know if you have ever played basketball but it is really hard to shoot accurately with someone constantly hitting your elbows and wrists. I wonder if we would have gotten the fouls if we had decided to try and drive the lane like ND was at the other end. I don't know if the refs would have called it even but I do know they didn't when it came to T.

Ha! Ok. Go watch the replay... T turned around most of the time with both arms above her head and had no touch and wasn’t hacked. No conspiracies folks.

Coach007
04-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Ha! Ok. Go watch the replay... T turned around most of the time with both arms above her head and had no touch and wasn’t hacked. No conspiracies folks.

Who said anything about a conspiracy?

W

Turfdawg67
04-02-2018, 03:30 PM
It’s all through these threads... it was Vegas, it was bookies, its the NCAA, it’s because the don’t want a team from MS to win.

dawgoneyall
04-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Well .....yes they did.

oldjoedawg
04-02-2018, 10:01 PM

I DO KNOW THIS....the refs cost us one last OPPORTUNITY to take the lead with a few seconds left to play and that is indisputable.....No doubt we missed opportunities before that, but don't cheat us out of one last opportunity to win it....that just aint right!

Churchill
04-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Why are so many supposedly MSU folks running cover for the refs ? Is this the politically correct thing to do or something ? The game was tied 0-0 with seconds to play, everything that happened before then was moot, we made the plays to win but a ref blew a call and cost us the game. Any State fan who denies this has an agenda of some sort.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Why are so many supposedly MSU folks running cover for the refs ? Is this the politically correct thing to do or something ? The game was tied 0-0 with seconds to play, everything that happened before then was moot, we made the plays to win but a ref blew a call and cost us the game. Any State fan who denies this has an agenda of some sort.

I think alot of State fans are tired of the whiny woe-is-me attitude of amny State fans blaming everything but ourselves.

We lost the game because McCowan was 7/19 from the field, VV disappeared in the 4th Q, and VV going for the upfake and then backcut by the girl that hit the winning shot- not to mention not fouling her before the shot when we had a foul to give.

We lost because of us. We choked.

tcdog70
04-03-2018, 08:36 AM
I think alot of State fans are tired of the whiny woe-is-me attitude of amny State fans blaming everything but ourselves.

We lost the game because McCowan was 7/19 from the field, VV disappeared in the 4th Q, and VV going for the upfake and then backcut by the girl that hit the winning shot- not to mention not fouling her before the shot when we had a foul to give.

Let's say the Refs did their job and called the foul and Mo hit the free throws and we won. Did we choke? Did Big T then lead us to victory instead of choking--she did make a play to get us the turnover. You see the scenario of us choking or winning turned not on Us but the no-call by the Ref. Forget all that happened before-- the label of hero or goat was on a no call.

Churchill
04-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Why are our own "fans" having such a problem handling this ????? It's nuts. We got beat in the final seconds by a good team that had admittedly played better ball than us in the second half on a blown call. What is so hard to grasp about that.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Forget all that happened before.

Unfortunately you cant. We were up 15 points in the 3rd Q. We choked. 1 play never decides a game- its just part of the 100 plays happening during a game

confucius say
04-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Yall know it is possible that we lost bc we missed too many opportunities and bc the refs blew an obvious foul call with 4 seconds left that would have given us the lead? Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Turfdawg67
04-03-2018, 10:11 AM

This is the correct answer.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Yall know it is possible that we lost bc we missed too many opportunities and bc the refs blew an obvious foul call with 4 seconds left that would have given us the lead? Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Exactly. It's right to view it that way cause that's exactly what happened. Those are the facts.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Even if they call the foul on Morgan- ND still would have gotten the ball in the same place to shoot the same shot

tcdog70
04-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately you cant. We were up 15 points in the 3rd Q. We choked. 1 play never decides a game- its just part of the 100 plays happening during a game

34-it was a hypothetical question- what idiot doesn't understand you can't go back. What I'm saying is the non-action by the REF completely changed at that moment in time they way we would view the outcome of the game. So a player through no action of their own would go from choking to National Champs--sorry I didn't mean to confuse you/

tcdog70
04-03-2018, 10:27 AM
34-it was a hypothetical question- what idiot doesn't understand you can't go back. What I'm saying is the non-action by the REF completely changed at that moment in time they way we would view the outcome of the game. So a player through no action of their own would go from choking to National Champs--sorry I didn't mean to confuse you/

but you are wrong on the 1 play can't decide the game--the last second shot by ND certainly decided the game--and it was 1 play.

confucius say
04-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Even if they call the foul on Morgan- ND still would have gotten the ball in the same place to shoot the same shot

That?s an assumption on your part, but I?m assuming Morgan makes at least one free throw, so ok.

More importantly, Even assuming you are right, the dynamic, pressure level, strategy, and overall situation all change when ND is running a set to get a shot while trailing instead of while tied.

Dildoes
04-03-2018, 12:25 PM

This is a good way to put it - the game may as well have been 0 - 0 with seconds left and our possession. Except, a ref decided to not call a completely blatant tackle giving the possession to ND. They should have never had the ball in the first place.

Folks just wanna seem “cool” by taking the stoic stance and not complaining. This board would be in a complete meltdown if the sport was football instead of women’s hoops

Coach34
04-03-2018, 12:41 PM
but you are wrong on the 1 play can't decide the game--the last second shot by ND certainly decided the game--and it was 1 play.

that play didn’t decide it

You can just as easily say Wanda missing the shot from the block the trip before was the play that decided it. If she makes that shot- we hold ND as we did and Morgan has the ball- she doesn’t push it up the court. She just dribbles around waiting to get fouled.

So Ill go with that play deciding it

Dildoes
04-03-2018, 12:58 PM
that play didn’t decide it

You can just as easily say Wanda missing the shot from the block the trip before was the play that decided it. If she makes that shot- we hold ND as we did and Morgan has the ball- she doesn’t push it up the court. She just dribbles around waiting to get fouled.

We get it. You’re an unflappable paragon of Cool smirking and laugheing at us squares for caring about a Women’s College Basketball game.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
We get it. You’re an unflappable paragon of Cool smirking and laugheing at us squares for caring about a Women’s College Basketball game.

not at all. Just dont accept the woe is me State bullshit. We choked and have to do better. Hopefully we will this Fall and Winter. The girls will be good again next year and will remain a top 15 program in the country currently

basedog
04-03-2018, 02:03 PM
To me choke should be used when you lose to teams such as South Alabama in football. Getting beat by a top team and program like ND is different especially for the Championship.

Getting beat at the buzzer is sickening but not choking as they made the play, the last play, maybe IF we had the last play things would have been different. So many factors.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2018, 02:55 PM
To me choke should be used when you lose to teams such as South Alabama in football. Getting beat by a top team and program like ND is different especially for the Championship.

Getting beat at the buzzer is sickening but not choking as they made the play, the last play, maybe IF we had the last play things would have been different. So many factors.

It also was a hell of a shot by the ND girl. Falling away 3 pointer was an extremely tough shot. It wasn't like it was a set shot wide open. It was a lot tougher than what she made against UConn.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2018, 03:09 PM

I agree. I've never considered any team as chokers that make it to a championship and lose. If you make it to a championship game you most definitely are not chokers. JMO but it takes hard work and a lot of clutch plays to make it that far. You don't just forget how to make clutch plays at that point but you're also playing elite teams that are also used to making clutch plays. The margin of error at this level is microscopic.

basedog
04-03-2018, 04:13 PM
I agree. I've never considered any team as chokers that make it to a championship and lose. If you make it to a championship game you most definitely are not chokers. JMO but it takes hard work and a lot of clutch plays to make it that far. You don't just forget how to make clutch plays at that point but you're also playing elite teams that are also used to making clutch plays. The margin of error at this level is microscopic.

Once again you get it!

Commercecomet24
04-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Once again you get it!

Thanks. I been on both sides of the coin. The joy of winning a championship and the agony of losing. I've made decisions that worked and made some that didn't, in those games. I've seen players make plays and same players not make plays in those critical situations. When you reach that stage you're playing the elites and they know how to coach and make clutch plays too. All you can do is let it all hang out and know you did everything you could do. Doesn't take the sting of losing away but it leaves you with no regrets. Feelings much better when you win though lol

tcdog70
04-03-2018, 04:38 PM
that play didn?t decide it

You can just as easily say Wanda missing the shot from the block the trip before was the play that decided it. If she makes that shot- we hold ND as we did and Morgan has the ball- she doesn?t push it up the court. She just dribbles around waiting to get fouled.

once again you have it wrong. Because even if She makes it there are several different scenarios that could have played out. Whereas the last shot by what's her name was only 1 play and it ended the game--so 1 play in this case decided the game. I believe I have heard Jackie Wayne say several times times that 3 or 4 plays decide everygame.

maroonmania
04-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Yep, its a ridiculous notion. Evenly played games in all sports are almost always decided by 1 play. We were hoping the game the other night was not going to be an evenly played game and we would win comfortably, but in the end that was not the case. So 1 play or 1 non-call was a major factor in deciding the outcome.

maroonmania
04-03-2018, 09:45 PM
that play didn?t decide it

You can just as easily say Wanda missing the shot from the block the trip before was the play that decided it. If she makes that shot- we hold ND as we did and Morgan has the ball- she doesn?t push it up the court. She just dribbles around waiting to get fouled.

The difference being that that play happened as a natural part of the game, not as a result of a blown call by the refs. Being honest, if we were going to lose it would have been much easier for us as a fanbase to take if ND had just never turned the ball over in that last possession and had just hit the last shot to win as the clock ran out which was their plan before we stole the ball.