PDA

View Full Version : Nearly every media tweet I have seen....

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2018, 07:41 PM
says we should have been at the line with three seconds left to win it. Even Barrett Salee says we got robbed. We got robbed folks.

DawgNamedScuba
04-01-2018, 07:42 PM
April Fools! We got tricked into having hope!

maroonmania
04-01-2018, 07:51 PM
We got hosed but it should have never come down to that because MSU depending on refs is a bad recipe.

Coach34
04-01-2018, 07:53 PM
This tweet disagrees with you:

https://twitter.com/ScoutSteveR/status/980604851938787328

@ScoutSteveR (https://twitter.com/ScoutSteveR)FollowingFollowing
@ScoutSteveR

More

State was up 15 in the third quarter and had their chances to put it away. Missed calls or not, you have to make shots. Not excusing the missed call on William at midcourt, but it's never one call.

Todd4State
04-01-2018, 07:54 PM

@ScoutSteveR

More

State was up 15 in the third quarter and had their chances to put it away. Missed calls or not, you have to make shots. Not excusing the missed call on William at midcourt, but it's never one call.

Ahem, Byron DeVinner.

Bulldog1
04-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Did the officials miss T’s layup at the end? Or all the free throws?

Commercecomet24
04-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Sure it?s never ?one call? but in championship games it often is one call. They didn?t play perfect we didn?t either but their one extra possession was the difference in the game.

Coach34
04-01-2018, 07:56 PM
We lost because they defended us in the 2nd half and we couldnt score. End of story.

Todd4State
04-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Sure it?s never ?one call? but in championship games it often is one call. They didn?t play perfect we didn?t either but their one extra possession was the difference in the game.

I'm not sure why some of our fans aren't getting this. It was TIED at the end. It's reasonable to assume that the other team didn't play perfectly either.

tcdog70
04-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Did the officials miss T’s layup at the end? Or all the free throws?

They did miss several fouls on T. The next to last layup, she was hammered on the arm. Why do you think the ball went sideways.

Bulldog1
04-01-2018, 07:59 PM
1) We should?ve played Ro and Danberry more in 3rd Q.
2) We should?ve fouled on the last inbound- had a foul to give.
3) Make our free throws and layups.

tcdog70
04-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Mo was mugged and it the Refs calls a blatant ass foul we are National Champs. What ever else happened at that point doesn't mean shit. 3 seconds we are hammered and somehow they get the ball. Bullshit

Bulldog1
04-01-2018, 08:02 PM
They did miss several fouls on T. The next to last layup, she was hammered on the arm. Why do you think the ball went sideways.

There were some questionable calls and no calls, but that did not lose the game. We were 10-17 from FT Line, T was 4-8.

Coach34
04-01-2018, 08:02 PM
The refs didnt cost us anything. Stop being sore losers- we lost this game. We were up 15 in the 3rd and we didnt handle business. Its 100% on us

msstate7
04-01-2018, 08:03 PM
The refs didnt cost us anything. Stop being sore losers- we lost this game. We were up 15 in the 3rd and we didnt handle business. Its 100% on us

Yep

Bulldog1
04-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Correct.

Coursesuper
04-01-2018, 08:11 PM

Yes, we didn’t handle our biz but that last play was horrible and it cost us.

Mjoelner34
04-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Agree on those 3 and will add 2 more.
4) Don't go into the 'Stansbury Stall' with 5 minutes left in the game.
5) Its not that the call was missed. It's more of an issue when the call was missed. There are missed calls both ways in every game. When a blatant foul like that is missed that late in a tight or tie game, you don't have a chance to overcome it. If that call was missed with 6 minutes left, win or lose we wouldn't be talking about it.

Tbonewannabe
04-01-2018, 08:20 PM

So if you are playing for the state title and your WR gets dragged down by his collar on the winning TD pass you will just say Oh Well? We did a lot of things wrong that could have won the game but the non call on the tackle of Mo decided the game by giving them the possession to win.

Coach34
04-01-2018, 08:23 PM
So if you are playing for the state title and your WR gets dragged down by his collar on the winning TD pass you will just say Oh Well? We did a lot of things wrong that could have won the game but the non call on the tackle of Mo decided the game by giving them the possession to win.

If I was up 2 TD's in the 3rd Q? Absolutely. We didnt handle our business

Coach007
04-01-2018, 08:26 PM

@ScoutSteveR

More

That's not a disagreement

Percho
04-01-2018, 08:26 PM
There were some questionable calls and no calls, but that did not lose the game. We were 10-17 from FT Line, T was 4-8.

Hey, William may have missed both of those free throws but she should have had the opportunity to shoot them.

Do you agree or not?

maroonmania
04-01-2018, 08:29 PM

True, its never one call, but when there is 5 seconds left and a tie game, it CERTAINLY can be one call. And tonight it was. They call the foul with Morgan shooting free throws we likely win the game but with the no call and foul on Big T and its over for us. Even if it went to OT I didn't see us having much chance without McCowan even though she was wasted by the end of the game.

Bulldog1
04-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Hey, William may have missed both of those free throws but she should have had the opportunity to shoot them.

Do you agree or not?

That was a foul, but the game should have not come down to that (see my above post, #11 in this thread for some explanation). That’s all I’m saying; it shouldn’t have came to that.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2018, 08:32 PM
True, its never one call, but when there is 5 seconds left and a tie game, it CERTAINLY can be one call. And tonight it was. They call the foul with Morgan shooting free throws we likely win the game but with the no call and foul on Big T and its over for us. Even if it went to OT I didn't see us having much chance without McCowan even though she was wasted by the end of the game.

100% agree with you.

Coach007
04-01-2018, 08:32 PM
That was a foul, but the game should have not come down to that (see my above post, #11 in this thread for some explanation). That’s all I’m saying; it shouldn’t have came to that.

But it did! And when it does, the game should have been called properly.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2018, 08:33 PM

@ScoutSteveR

More

Actually agreed with me there 34. Typical of you. . I'm not arguing that it that it never should have come to that, it shouldn't have. The fact remains that it did. We got the stop and a clear pass for a layup that was stopped by blatant foul that wasn't called.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-01-2018, 08:33 PM

^^^^^This^^^^^

maroonmania
04-01-2018, 08:34 PM
If I was up 2 TD's in the 3rd Q? Absolutely. We didnt handle our business

True, but ND didn't handle theirs in the first half. We sucked in the 3rd, they sucked in the 2nd. But like I said, MSU depending on a call from the ref is almost always not going to work for us.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2018, 08:34 PM
That's not a disagreement

Actually it's agreeing with me.

Coach007
04-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Actually agreed with me there 34. Typical of you. . I'm not arguing that it that it never should have come to that, it shouldn't have. The fact remains that it did. We got the stop and a clear pass for a layup that was stopped by blatant foul that wasn't called.

This can't be stated enough. Yes, we didn't do some things right. But with the GAME ON THE LINE, WE MADE THE STOP.... and the refs took that away from the team. They gave the ball back to ND

Commercecomet24
04-01-2018, 08:39 PM

Yep. They basically intentionally fouled mo cause they knew we had a layup but it didn?t get called and then T had to foul to prevent their layup. Completely reversed everything

Commercecomet24
04-01-2018, 08:42 PM
This can't be stated enough. Yes, we didn't do some things right. But with the GAME ON THE LINE, WE MADE THE STOP.... and the refs took that away from the team. They gave the ball back to ND

Right. We made what should?ve been a game winning play but it was wiped out by a no call and then called us for a foul.

bulldawg28
04-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Truth

bulldawg28
04-01-2018, 08:50 PM

One missed call didn't cost us the game when we had 40 mins to put it away.

Percho
04-01-2018, 08:59 PM

I agree. If we had hit all our shots and they had hit all theirs we would have won 185 to 148.

We just ain't no good except at getting shots.

Percho
04-01-2018, 09:04 PM
If we had a 10 point lead that foul would not have mattered but we didn't have a 10 point lead the game was tied. That obvious foul that was not called cost us an opportunity to win A NC with a 85 % free shooter shooting for the win.

In my opinion refereeing cost us the game.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2018, 09:05 PM

I’m not arguing that. I agree with you. The fact remains that we made the play to potentially win it anyway and it was negated by a blatant foul that wasn’t called. Quit making excuses for bad officiating. By doing so you are making it worse.

bulldawg28
04-01-2018, 09:10 PM
I’m not arguing that. I agree with you. The fact remains that we made the play to potentially win it anyway and it was negated by a blatant foul that wasn’t called. Quit making excuses for bad officiating. By doing so you are making it worse.

Your making it worse by blaming an entire game on one call that didn't impact the game. We still had a chance to play defense and go into overtime. If we are honest the refs helped us against Louisville. The last second missed shot was a foul that was not called to our benefit. We won in OT

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Your making it worse by blaming an entire game on one call that didn't impact the game. We still had a chance to play defense and go into overtime. If we are honest the refs helped us against Louisville. The last second missed shot was a foul that was not called to our benefit. We won in OT

I’m not blaming the entire game on one call. I’m blaming that one call that had it been made properly would have had us at the line with three seconds left in a tie game. Had the foul not been made we get a layup to win at the buzzer. I also suggest you take a look at the officiating in the third quarter.

If you think we were winning that game without Sweet T in overtime you are deluded.

Coach007
04-01-2018, 09:21 PM

Nobody is blaming an entire game on it. We are blaming them for factual details.

We played well enough to be tied and in need a play. Our team stepped up and made that play! There is no disputing that. That's not a hypothetical. That's reality. Nothing prior to that point matters. We EARNED the defensive stop and the refs took that away.

You can say all day that we should have made our shots. They can say the same thing. All of that offsets. What does NOT offset is with the game on the line and it tied up, our girls made the stop they had to. The refs then decided how it would play out in the end.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Nobody is blaming an entire game on it. We are blaming them for factual details.

We played well enough to be tied and in need a play. Our team stepped up and made that play! There is no disputing that. That's not a hypothetical. That's reality. Nothing prior to that point matters. We EARNED the defensive stop and the refs took that away.

You can say all day that we should have made our shots. They can say the same thing. All of that offsets. What does NOT offset is with the game on the line and it tied up, our girls made the stop they had to. The refs then decided how it would play out in the end.

Right. Don?t know why people can?t understand this. Dang we had a freaking layup to win the game until
Mo was tackled, the game would?ve been over. At the very least she should?ve been shooting fts. Our girls stepped up and made a play to win
It and it was negated by officiating

Coach007
04-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Right. Don?t know why people can?t understand this. Dang we had a freaking layup to win the game until
Mo was tackled, the game would?ve been over. At the very least she should?ve been shooting fts. Our girls stepped up and made a play to win

YEP!

maroonmania
04-01-2018, 09:44 PM
One of the reasons that basketball is behind football and baseball for me is because refs have so much control of the game. Especially given the fact that foul calls can send a player out of the game.

Bdawg
04-01-2018, 10:19 PM

It?s not hard. Some people just don?t like blaming the officials. Now I?m not one to always blame officials, but I believe it is totally justifiable to put the blame on them when they make a mistake in a CRUCIAL situations( like in a tie game with 5 secs to go). Now some people say we shouldn?t have been in that spot in the first place, and I understand what they are saying. You can go back and play the what if game all you want but it doesn?t change the fact that we were tied up late in the game with still a chance to win it. Matter of fact, we made the defensive stop to win it, was pushing the ball up the court on a break trying to win, when in the process the refs botched a call that led to big T having to foul and giving the game winning shot to the other team instead of us being at the line with our best FT shooter. So in this instance I say blame the refs wholeheartedly.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2018, 10:29 PM
It?s not hard. Some people just don?t like blaming the officials. Now I?m not one to always blame officials, but I believe it is totally justifiable to put the blame on them when they make a mistake in a CRUCIAL situations( like in a tie game with 5 secs to go). Now some people say we shouldn?t have been in that spot in the first place, and I understand what they are saying. You can go back and play the what if game all you want but it doesn?t change the fact that we were tied up late in the game with still a chance to win it. Matter of fact, we made the defensive stop to win it, was pushing the ball up the court on a break trying to win, when in the process the refs botched a call that led to big T having to foul and giving the game winning shot to the other team instead of us being at the line with our best FT shooter. So in this instance I say blame the refs wholeheartedly.

That?s my perspective as well.

Todd4State
04-01-2018, 10:37 PM
One of the reasons that basketball is behind football and baseball for me is because refs have so much control of the game. Especially given the fact that foul calls can send a player out of the game.

Baseball can be every bit as bad if you have a ridiculous home plate umpire.

smootness
04-02-2018, 03:44 AM
How do people not understand that we would have lost anyway? Say we make both FTs. Great. We still lose by 1 with that shot at the end.

Bully75
04-02-2018, 05:35 AM
How do people not understand that we would have lost anyway? Say we make both FTs. Great. We still lose by 1 with that shot at the end.

Shot at the end doesn’t happen because they’d have to go length of the court to shoot. No call on Mo cost us the game. End of discussion.

Bulldog1
04-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Shot at the end doesn?t happen because they?d have to go length of the court to shoot. No call on Mo cost us the game. End of discussion.

No they wouldn?t. They had a timeout which would advance the ball to mid-court.

smootness
04-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Shot at the end doesn’t happen because they’d have to go length of the court to shoot. No call on Mo cost us the game. End of discussion.

They would have been able to inbound it from basically the exact same spot with actually more time on the clock. Th is no call cost us nothing. I have no idea why we’re even talking about it, except that it feels good to blame somebody else.

Bdawg
04-02-2018, 08:31 AM
They would have been able to inbound it from basically the exact same spot with actually more time on the clock. Th is no call cost us nothing. I have no idea why we’re even talking about it, except that it feels good to blame somebody else.

Wrong. Big T would have still been in the game and being up two could have totally changed our defense or they may have done something differently offensively. Heck, Morgan may have made one and missed the second and they had the length of the court to go. You just can’t say it would have played out the same way if the call was made.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-02-2018, 08:34 AM

@ScoutSteveR

More

Do you know what "NEARLY" means?

smootness
04-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Wrong. Big T would have still been in the game and being up two could have totally changed our defense or they may have done something differently offensively. Heck, Morgan may have made one and missed the second and they had the length of the court to go. You just can’t say it would have played out the same way if the call was made.

Again, they would not have had to go the length of the court. They had a timeout.

And you’re not going to play better defense on the inbound than we did. You’re not going to give them a tougher shot. They made the shot and won by 3.

Saying ‘that no call cost us the game,’ even if it was a bad no call, is wrong. Could it have changed something about the way the end played out? Sure. Would ND have still been able to get a shot at the end to win it? Yes. Would it have been a harder shot than the one they made? No.

dawgs
04-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Why can?t we have failed to close out like we should, but ultimately still should have gotten a BLATANTLY OBVIOUS FOUL CALL WITH 3 SECONDS LEFT to put us at the line with a chance to go ahead? They aren?t mutually exclusive events, and both are true statements. Because someone missed some 3s and FTs never excuses a BLATANT MISSED FOUL CALL IN THE CLOSING SECONDS in a tied game. Maybe ND should have scored more than 3 points in the 2nd quarter, but that doesn?t mean they deserve to have the game swung in the final seconds on a BLATANTLY MISSED CALL either.

dawgs
04-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Again, they would not have had to go the length of the court. They had a timeout.

And you’re not going to play better defense on the inbound than we did. You’re not going to give them a tougher shot. They made the shot and won by 3.

Saying ‘that no call cost us the game,’ even if it was a bad no call, is wrong. Could it have changed something about the way the end played out? Sure. Would ND have still been able to get a shot at the end to win it? Yes. Would it have been a harder shot than the one they made? No.

Maybe she misses the 2nd and we get the rebound. Whatever the case, the ND girl doesn’t take that same shot in the exact same moment and situation, and that’s all I’d ask for because she ain’t making that shot more then a couple times out of 100 attempts.

Bulldog1
04-02-2018, 08:49 AM
We had a foul to give. Use it!

BrunswickDawg
04-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Couple of things - for the ones saying "we didn't finish it" because we blew a 15 pt lead - It was a National Title game. Most basketball title games ebb and flow just like ours did. You could make the same argument about the 8 point lead ND had early. They had us down big early and couldn't put us away.

The officiating in this game completely changed in the 3rd quarter. Each team had 1 foul in the 1st. Each team had 1 foul called in the 2nd.
7 called on state and 4 called on ND in the 3rd. In the 4th, State had 3 fouls and ND 5. The ref's completely changed how they were calling the game - on both teams - in the 2nd half. That lack of consistency changes the game dramatically. It changes the aggressiveness of players. It slows the game down by never allowing one team to build a consistent flow offensively. It takes players off the floor. And - other than the fact that we were blowing ND out, there is no reason for them to have changed how the game was called. To have changed how the game was being called, and then have the ending dramatically shaped by a blatant NON-Call to me is a reason to blame the refs in this. Consistency is all people want to see. They were not consistent and that allowed the refs to impact the game.

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Baseball can be every bit as bad if you have a ridiculous home plate umpire.

usually it is the same for both teams--doesn't compare to the screwing we took yesterday

Bdawg
04-02-2018, 09:21 AM

We’ll just have to disagree on the end playing out the exact same way if we had gotten the call.

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Smoot-if we were up--we for sure would have fouled--at best we were going to OT without T and really thought to defend rather than foul Victoria out . if we were ahead it is a whole different scenario

smootness
04-02-2018, 09:25 AM
We had a foul to give. Use it!

This all day. Inexcusable.

smootness
04-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Smoot-if we were up--we for sure would have fouled--at best we were going to OT without T and really thought to defend rather than foul Victoria out . if we were ahead it is a whole different scenario

I have a hard time believing that since it's actually more necessary to foul when tied and we still didn't do that.

Bdawg
04-02-2018, 09:31 AM
This all day. Inexcusable.

I will say I thought we should have fouled too, Shane Powers said it was the right move not to foul when the girl was moving toward the basket. IDK

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Couple of things - for the ones saying "we didn't finish it" because we blew a 15 pt lead - It was a National Title game. Most basketball title games ebb and flow just like ours did. You could make the same argument about the 8 point lead ND had early. They had us down big early and couldn't put us away.

The officiating in this game completely changed in the 3rd quarter. Each team had 1 foul in the 1st. Each team had 1 foul called in the 2nd.
7 called on state and 4 called on ND in the 3rd. In the 4th, State had 3 fouls and ND 5. The ref's completely changed how they were calling the game - on both teams - in the 2nd half. That lack of consistency changes the game dramatically. It changes the aggressiveness of players. It slows the game down by never allowing one team to build a consistent flow offensively. It takes players off the floor. And - other than the fact that we were blowing ND out, there is no reason for them to have changed how the game was called. To have changed how the game was being called, and then have the ending dramatically shaped by a blatant NON-Call to me is a reason to blame the refs in this. Consistency is all people want to see. They were not consistent and that allowed the refs to impact the game.

another point--in the third, we were missing shots and they were in transition and driving to the rack. They weren't running their offense, which we shut down. They made an adjustment(which we helped by not scoring) and just let their best players drive. This is what we should have done with Victoria. when we were up 15 we should have given Her the ball and said shoot and Big T you rebound. We would have never given up the lead . if Victoria had driven She would have fouled out their Big players--Vic chose to throw the ball around the horn till the shot clock ran down and throw up a prayer. bad move.

tcdog70
04-02-2018, 10:10 AM

THE 40 MINUTES OF PLAY PUT US IN POSITION TO STEAL THE BALL AND WIN THE GAME--WE DID THEY DIDN'T CALL IT.

smootness
04-02-2018, 10:15 AM
I will say I thought we should have fouled too, Shane Powers said it was the right move not to foul when the girl was moving toward the basket. IDK

We had two fouls to give. Once she catches it, you foul her. Even if only .5 seconds comes off the clock, you still have another foul to give and they have to inbound it again.

Sure, we forced them into a very tough shot, so maybe Schaefer said that so long as it's on the perimeter and will be a heave, let it go. But I still think the right move there is clearly to foul twice. Get that clock down to around a second.

Tbonewannabe
04-02-2018, 11:01 AM
We had two fouls to give. Once she catches it, you foul her. Even if only .5 seconds comes off the clock, you still have another foul to give and they have to inbound it again.

Sure, we forced them into a very tough shot, so maybe Schaefer said that so long as it's on the perimeter and will be a heave, let it go. But I still think the right move there is clearly to foul twice. Get that clock down to around a second.

I didn't think about it at the time but I would have let her dribble for a second then do a reach in foul and try to steal the ball. You might bat it away out of bounds or they let you mug the girl like Mo got tackled and not call the foul. The way they were calling touch fouls on that end, it would have been a foul and they have to throw the ball in again. I actually thought they would throw it in to the big girl since they just fouled out T. She would have probably gotten a whistle since they did almost every time they got the ball in the post.

bulldawg28
04-02-2018, 11:24 AM
THE 40 MINUTES OF PLAY PUT US IN POSITION TO STEAL THE BALL AND WIN THE GAME--WE DID THEY DIDN'T CALL IT.

Blame it on the rain.

Dawg50
04-02-2018, 01:12 PM
It shouldn't have come to that, if we had made just 50% of those free throws or the open lay ups, but we definitely should have used that foul and not let her get any shot off. Still proud of our girls for this incredible season.

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2018, 01:30 PM
It shouldn't have come to that, if we had made just 50% of those free throws or the open lay ups, but we definitely should have used that foul and not let her get any shot off. Still proud of our girls for this incredible season.

But it DID come to that.