PDA

View Full Version : MSU baseball isn't Florida or Vanderbilt baseball...

Dawg61
04-01-2018, 12:11 PM
we shouldn't try to copy Florida and Vanderbilt recruiting. We are a blue collar dirtbag baseball program. We need to recruit junior and senior dirtbags with good size not 14 year old little league pros.

Coach34
04-01-2018, 12:19 PM
We need to stop recruiting guys that are 5'8- thats the 1st thing we need to do.

msstate7
04-01-2018, 12:22 PM
We need to stop recruiting guys that are 5'8- thats the 1st thing we need to do.

Like Adam Frazier and Brett pirtle?

Coach34
04-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Like Adam Frazier and Brett pirtle?

you want me to list the ones that didnt pan out? That one is a whole lot longer

msstate7
04-01-2018, 12:27 PM
you want me to list the ones that didnt pan out? That one is a whole lot longer

Some do though... recruit better 5?8? players

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Unless they have power.

Lots of good short players in the big leagues but virtually all have circus midget type power.

Baseball isn’t about size, although size helps do certain thing.

Recruit guys that can impact the baseball and have strong hands.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Some do though... recruit better 5?8? players

Recruit the 5’8” ones that can hit the ball over the 17ing fence.

msstate7
04-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Florida has 8 guys listed at 5?10? or shorter

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Florida has 8 guys listed at 5?10? or shorter

Those 5’10” guys have strong, muscular lower halves that allows them to create the requisite foundation to produce leverage in their swings.

Being short in baseball is fine, but being short with thin legs is not. Guys like Hank Aaron, Harman Killabrew, Ricky Henderson, Altuve, Pedroia, etc are all short dudes but all have strong lower halves from which to create leverage and power.

All that to say, Liput and Maldonado both have power.

ATTILLA THE DOG
04-01-2018, 01:22 PM

We could sure use gridley's 6 hr's and 39 rbi's,we need people that can play,if they are 6-3 240 or 5-9 180.Macneme is 6-4 209 and watched 3 strikes go by with the bases loaded,never took the bat off his shoulders.

Bully13
04-01-2018, 01:51 PM
do y'all think that our talent level is not as elite as places like Vandy and UF because the younsters are thinking that if the MLB thing doesn't pan out then a UF or VU degree will look better on a resume?

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 01:53 PM
do y'all think that our talent level is not as elite as places like Vandy and UF because the younsters are thinking that if the MLB thing doesn't pan out then a UF or VU degree will look better on a resume?

No

they have significantly more scholarship money and more in-state talent upon which to draw from

Bully13
04-01-2018, 02:02 PM
No

they have significantly more scholarship money and more in-state talent upon which to draw from

would like to know more about why they have more scholly money. I know LA does something with that lottery stuff but I don't think TN has a lottery.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-01-2018, 02:11 PM
would like to know more about why they have more scholly money. I know LA does something with that lottery stuff but I don't think TN has a lottery.

Vandy is a private school. The theory is that they can essentially give anyone they want a full ride

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Vanderbilt has "need based scholarship" for their entire student population. Because Vandy is private & expensive, they have rules that allow them to admit & put on scholarship any student that they want so long as their family makes less than about $110K per year. This has allowed them to have many future Major League players as walk-ons on need based scholarship. To understand the impact of this: Remember how Miami used to be a national power in baseball? That was when they had similar scholarship rules as Vandy, but, when Donna Shalala became the President of Miami, she removed that rule & thus Miami's baseball program has regressed.

Florida has bright futures scholarship program to go along with a boat load of D1 caliber players in their state & a track record of helping those players go higher in the draft after spending 3 years at UF.

Bully13
04-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Vandy is a private school. The theory is that they can essentially give anyone they want a full ride

I don't get that. shouldn't be fair. should be illegal. why don't they just load up their football team with 120 players and 25 on their basketball team?

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 02:17 PM
I don't get that. shouldn't be fair. should be illegal. why don't they just load up their football team with 120 players and 25 on their basketball team?

Well, this is what Polk spent his entire career complaining about.

Football has rules against this and baseball does not. Polk always said there would riots if this was the case in football.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-01-2018, 02:19 PM
I don't care what the size.... we are just not talented.... how many players on the current roster do we actually want back that are not draft eligible.

preachermatt83
04-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Amen

msstate7
04-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Amen

Oregon state is #1. They have 8 players listed at 5?10? or shorter. One of those 8 is nick madrical, who is probably the best player in the country. Florida is #2, and has 8 players listed at 5?10? or shorter also. Do you always just yes man C34?

preachermatt83
04-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Oregon state is #1. They have 8 players listed at 5?10? or shorter. One of those 8 is nick madrical, who is probably the best player in the country. Florida is #2, and has 8 players listed at 5?10? or shorter also. Do you always just yes man C34?

He said 5'8... not 5'10

04-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Florida is a huge state, with lots of extra money available, and UF and FSU get their pick of the litter. Miami is private like Vandy and surprise, surprise, they have like 15 natties.

msstate7
04-01-2018, 03:37 PM
He said 5'8... not 5'10

If they are listed at 5?10?, they most likely are 5?8?. BTW, we have 2 players listed at 5?10? or shorter... Jordan and Stovall. Obviously if we cut hunter and rowdey, problem solved

Dawg61
04-01-2018, 04:36 PM

If you wanna stock our team full of midgets make sure they can hit and will stay here 3-4 years. I personally don't like midget baseball players but if they are dirtbags, good baseball players and aren't draft risks I can be ok with 8 midgets on the team.

msstate7
04-01-2018, 04:48 PM
If you wanna stock our team full of midgets make sure they can hit and will stay here 3-4 years. I personally don't like midget baseball players but if they are dirtbags, good baseball players and aren't draft risks I can be ok with 8 midgets on the team.

I am not advocating for a bunch of short players or tall players. I just do not wanna eliminate a player bc of size.

Dawg61
04-01-2018, 05:16 PM
I am not advocating for a bunch of short players or tall players. I just do not wanna eliminate a player bc of size.

It's a valid point. There's plenty of terrific HOF players 5'10 and under. You might have stumbled onto a loophole filled with dirtbags too. Not many midgets are draft risks. It's a good point. I like it.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2018, 05:16 PM

This is the correct answer.

It’s about tools.

Coach34
04-01-2018, 05:45 PM
This is the correct answer.

It’s about tools.

obviously- but nobody looks at our team and thinks this bunch is about to drive the baseball into gaps or hit some HR's

dawgs
04-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Just get guys that can drive the ball regardless of height. Height does help with that some, but ultimately just get guys who can drive it. We have had way too many slap single kinda hitters over the years. When you rely on slap singles, you limit your big inning opportunities and you rely on BABIP luck. Balls driven into the gaps are gonna turn into hits far more often than the seeing eye grounder between 2nd and 3rd. But those slap single kinda guys are the ?dirtbags? and ?scrappy?, they aren?t divas looking to crank homers and shit.

The Federalist Engineer
04-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Vanderbilt has "need based scholarship" for their entire student population. Because Vandy is private & expensive, they have rules that allow them to admit & put on scholarship any student that they want so long as their family makes less than about $110K per year. This has allowed them to have many future Major League players as walk-ons on need based scholarship. To understand the impact of this: Remember how Miami used to be a national power in baseball? That was when they had similar scholarship rules as Vandy, but, when Donna Shalala became the President of Miami, she removed that rule & thus Miami's baseball program has regressed.

Florida has bright futures scholarship program to go along with a boat load of D1 caliber players in their state & a track record of helping those players go higher in the draft after spending 3 years at UF.

Stupid question, but what if MSU, OM, Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee just said **** it and gave 30 baseball scholarships? Wouldn?t the SEC just have our back and NCAA could do nothing

They send an investigator and we say go to hell, issue sanctions but we play on. The NCAA has no authority unless you accept it