PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Battered and Bruised Edition

Coach34
10-06-2013, 01:15 PM
1. We were excited and optimistic as usual when LSU comes to our house, and once aGAIN they donkeypunched us back to reality.

2. I was glad to see Prescott start, it restores a little faith I had in Mullen. He is the best fit for this football team, it's leader, it's excitement, and the face of the team. He still has some growing to do- there is no doubt about that. His passing will get better the more he plays. He throws some darts at times, but he has to get better throwing the ball when moving (like on the 2 pt pass). But the bottom line is that his running and our running game with him at QB combined with the passing he does give us is better than what we would get with Tyler at QB.

3. I thought Tyler played ok, altho it was only fitting that he got sacked on the first play. He came in and led a good drive for a TD. We finally threw the ball deep with him- after two freaking years- Wilson pushes off nicely- and we get a TD. Why was Tyler a little more effective early? HE RAN THE DAMN FOOTBALL. He wasnt a statue- he made the defense account for him. If he will continue to run the ball some- there is a place for him to be a part of this offense.

4. Our playcalling sometimes makes me want to take a bat to my television. I just dont understand. For example:

A) 2nd drive of the game- we are moving along and have a 1st down on the LSU 18 yd line. What do we do????

1st and 10 at LSU 18 Dak Prescott pass incomplete to Malcolm Johnson. (dropped at the 5)
2nd and 10 at LSU 18 Dak Prescott pass incomplete to Joe Morrow.
3rd and 10 at LSU 18 Dak Prescott pass complete to Joe Morrow for no gain to the LSU 18.

We had just thrown a pass to get a 1st down at the 18. Why in the ****ing **** do we want to throw 4 straight passes with Dakota at QB???? That should never happen.

B) 4th Q- over 14 minutes left in the game. LSU goes up 12- 38-26. We can argue all day about who to put out there at QB- either side is correct. However, what you don't do is run Prescott out there to throw 3 straight passes. Why in the ****ing **** would you do that??? There is plenty of time left- don't panic- mix it up and get a good drive going.

1st and 10 at MSST 25 Dak Prescott pass incomplete to Robert Johnson.
2nd and 10 at MSST 25 Dak Prescott pass incomplete to Malcolm Johnson.
3rd and 10 at MSST 25 Dak Prescott pass intercepted by Tre'Davious White at the MisSt 45, returned for 40 yards to the MisSt 5.

Playcalling makes a world of difference in your offense and it's success. Those groupings there ensured failure on our part. Hack pointed out with his stats the key to moving forward offensively is to keep Dakota out of 3rd and longs. He has been outstanding so far in 3rd and manageable situations (3rd and 6 or less). 3rd and long is tough for all QB's- but especially younger QB's that are still growing as passer. Throwing 3 straight passes in a series needs to be avoided.

5. Devon Bell is the momentum killa yet again. His only tough kick of the night was missed yet aGAIN. Getting the 3 there keeps momentum and hope for your team alive. Missing it gives the D momentum for a stop and let's the offense know they have a chance to put you away with a good drive. And they did.

6. The old saying is true in most cases- You are only as good as your Seniors. Whitley? He is terrible. He couldnt cover Ralphie May if he was lined up at WR and running a route. Siddoway? Missed block on the quick screen in the 1st Q that we could have walked into the end zone on, and then he also gets called for holding on 3rd and 1 after we had picked of Mett- taking us out of FG range. Skinner? Playing ok but missed some crucial tackles and didnt get off blocks. Autry? 1 solo tackle. ONE. Uno.

7. I thought we had one of the best fronts in the SEC- we do not. We are better than last year- but we still aint there yet. I was floored that Hill was able to get loose like that and we were unable to get off blocks at LB and make plays. Absolutely no excuse. None. LSU has an awesome offense- but we should have played better vs the run. They started playing grown ass man football in the trenches and we caved. Very disappointed in that.

8. Our Secondary is awful. Jiles was still running deep once while the WR had planted, stopped, and was waiting on the ball. Jiles needed a damn cane and seeing eye dog. Holy shit. That performance last night in the Secondary was kin to our D from the Tech and Ten season of 88. We cant continue to keep Whitley out there- Sr or not- playing like he is currently. Hopefully Redmond can help some- but let's remember folks- he has yet to play a college snap. He will have a learning curve also. Love is not bad but he stays hurt. Calhoun is Jiles. Jiles is Calhoun. Cox is still lost in juco somewhere. Holy shit I'm glad I'm not our Secondary coach.

9. Chris Jones is the best Freshman defensive player in the SEC. I hope he keeps his head screwed on straight, because he will be a millionaire in 3 years if he does.

10. Moving along, we should win the next 2 games. We have improved greatly on offense so far this season. Mullen is back in his comfort zone running the Spread and not trying to piece together some crap for Russell. There is place for both QB's to play if Tyler will continue to run the ball some. Defensively, we just have to keep working to get better and grow up. There is talent on D, and we are experiencing the growing pains of youth on defense- just as LSU is this year. Our season is going to come down to an all-out war of a game vs UPig and then the Egg Bowl. We are good enough to win both games and go bowling. We have to make it happen. No sleeping on Bowling Green this week though- they can give us problems if we arent ready to play.

preachermatt83
10-06-2013, 01:22 PM
this is a brilliant post... seriously right on the money.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I thought our D-line did a great job getting pressure on the QB. The only problem was if they didn't get pressure, we'd give up a 30 yard pass to a wide open #3. In the run game, if we didn't stuff them for a >3 yard gain then they scored a touchdown because our DB's (especially Whitley) would just slide off of the running back.

blacklistedbully
10-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Coach, as bad as it got in the 4th Q, I actually came away feeling like we just might have a good chance vs SCar & TAMU this year. Neither team has impressed me that much. TAMU seems like a poor man's version of LSU to me. Very talented QB, but without the all-world WR's LSU has that killed us time & again. SCar has struggled against lesser teams this year. I truly believe we'll be the second-best team they've faced by the time of our game, and they've lost to the best one, UGA.

I couldn't agree more about Bell. When Dan sent him out to attempt that FG, I was literally screaming at my TV, begging Dan not to do it. Told my wife before the kick, he was gonna miss, and LSU would then score again to take momentum permanently. The guy is a head-case, period. IMO, Dan needs to sit his ass on the bench and never again let him get up. Go with the other dude that doesn't have the range, and just go for it on 4th in those situations where we're outside the range of the smaller guy. In my mind, the only reason to attempt a FG is if your odds of making it are much greater than your odds of making a first down going for it on 4th. We don't have that with Bell right now.

preachermatt83
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM
we are best up front with quay, jones, smith, and autry

Jack Lambert
10-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I think Chris Jone is the best in the country and you know many LSU fans are wondering why in the world did Dak not end up at LSU. Also I like our chances from here on out in every game. Those two WR are the best in the country and our young CB played them very well and I don't think they are going to face that again this year. maybe with EVens from A&M but he is only one where LSU had two at a time on the field.

thunderclap
10-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I expected a lot better from our secondary with Deshea Townsend on staff. I know we are banged up but our technique is, well, we don't have a technique.

MarketingBully01
10-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree with all of it. I thought the drive of the game that changed everything though was our drive before half on third and short when Russell missed the pass to Lewis and we had to punt back to LSU. If we get that first down odds are good we are at least up by 1 at halftime and probably get a field goal at least to go up by four. Instead we punt back to them and they score a TD to go up five at halftime.

I will say this. I lost even more respect for Miles then I had before. That Hill situation is really troublesome. He is a convicted felon and they allowed him back on the team. Not only that but he left his entire first team in the entire game. He is a classless jerk and he better be glad he got that job at LSU because I don't think he would be successful anywhere else. He basically took over what Saban had built and just out talents everyone. I think in the end LSU goes 9-3 this year. Their defense isn't that great and we did more to stop ourselves then they did to stop us. Just think Les is a classless jerk.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 01:49 PM
2 comments.

1) It's amazing that Dak isn't better throwing on the run. I don't get it. He can throw bullets in the pocket and he is a heck of an athlete, but he does struggle throwing on the run right now.

2) part of the problem on defense was our personnel groupings. On the key 3rd down where Hill broke off a big run, we had Bene Brown in there at LB. He has to make that play and he whiffed. Then Whitley whiffed. On 3rd down on LSU's first TD, we had Jefferson, Autry, and Smith all in there on the D-line and Richie Brown and Bene Brown in at LB. Weird. We also start Love and Calhoun at corner then the next serious we bring in Cox and Jiles. We have to be the only team in the SEC that rotates corners that much.

MarketingBully01
10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
The first TD that LSU scored on though the Lineman held him so bad it was obvious. Turner and Collins are going to have to teach our DL and LB how to break out of a hold because LSU damn near held on every play and it's obvious that it is not going to get called because Auburn did that too. We have a huge disrupter on the DL with Jones so I forsee our defense getting better and better.

HIGHDOG
10-06-2013, 02:08 PM
i think that losing hughes as "the brains" in the 2ndary is/was very costly...the okst debacle is proving to be the disaster many of us predicted...jmho...tom

MarketingBully01
10-06-2013, 02:10 PM
From the sheer number of injuries/season ending ones, your assessment is correct.

bluelightstar
10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Guess the way I see it is that they could conceivably get injured in any game (OK St or not). By the way, OK State is not good.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I disagree about our front. It is really good IMO, Coach. Those long runs were not due to our front 4 to 5, it was because a LB or primarily our SAFETIES missed tackles. Once Hill got through our front 4 + McKinney and Wells, Skinner and the DB core couldn't tackle for shit, and they looked horribly slow.

I agree with pretty much everything else in your post, very well said.

Also, why we keep throwing it to Joe Morrow I will never understand. Yes, he has gotten separation lately, but he's still awful. A SEC WR has GOT to shake that one guy and score the TD on that screen pass. Yes, Siddoway choked on that block, but my gosh Joe Morrow couldn't have shaken a 4th grader out there. And then on the 4th and 19 play late, not that it mattered, but he has to go and get that ball and not wait on it to come to him. He is just soft and lacks playmaker ability. Mullen needs to stop the bull shit rotations and get our best damn WR's on the field. Jameon, RoJo, and Wilson are our best 3, plus Malcolm at TE. I'm tired of seeing morrow being a featured WR when he lacks any chance of making a big play

Bothrops
10-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I was also predicting that Lsu wouldn't have much success running the ball against us. Our d-line looked dominant at times but our secondary is lost as a group. I think nagging injuries plays a part too, with Nickoe seemingly limping through games. Why is he out there? He used to zero-in on receivers with great anticipation. I thought Tyler played well for his first time back and last night was one of JRobs best showings. I was impressed with him moving people up field trying to bring him down. But in the end, we were overmatched, and I'll be surprised if we beat Lsu anytime in the foreseeable future.

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 03:59 PM
We stopped the run early. My guess is we started to back out linebackers out of the box some since we were getting burned literally every time they threw the ball, and when that happened- then they started to run on us.

TopDog58
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Coach, as bad as it got in the 4th Q, I actually came away feeling like we just might have a good chance vs SCar & TAMU this year. Neither team has impressed me that much. TAMU seems like a poor man's version of LSU to me. Very talented QB, but without the all-world WR's LSU has that killed us time & again. SCar has struggled against lesser teams this year. I truly believe we'll be the second-best team they've faced by the time of our game, and they've lost to the best one, UGA.

I couldn't agree more about Bell. When Dan sent him out to attempt that FG, I was literally screaming at my TV, begging Dan not to do it. Told my wife before the kick, he was gonna miss, and LSU would then score again to take momentum permanently. The guy is a head-case, period. IMO, Dan needs to sit his ass on the bench and never again let him get up. Go with the other dude that doesn't have the range, and just go for it on 4th in those situations where we're outside the range of the smaller guy. In my mind, the only reason to attempt a FG is if your odds of making it are much greater than your odds of making a first down going for it on 4th. We don't have that with Bell right now.

You are seriously reaching. TAMU's WR group is better than last year. We are playing them on the road, and Manziel is still Manziel. We did NOTHING to stop him much less contain him last year. If you are seriously chalking that up as a possible win, then you may want to go ahead and start the crying now. Even if we do get pressure on him up the middle with Jones, we have NOBODY that can keep up with him on the outside. Go back and look at last year's game again, he made our DEs and LBs look like they were running in mud.

bluelightstar
10-06-2013, 04:34 PM
You are seriously reaching. TAMU's WR group is better than last year. We are playing them on the road, and Manziel is still Manziel. We did NOTHING to stop him much less contain him last year. If you are seriously chalking that up as a possible win, then you may want to go ahead and start the crying now. Even if we do get pressure on him up the middle with Jones, we have NOBODY that can keep up with him on the outside. Go back and look at last year's game again, he made our DEs and LBs look like they were running in mud.

Sadly have to agree. A&M is going to be another destruction of our defense. A&M's defense is worse than LSU's by a country mile so we can probably keep up better. Loss by 10+ instead of 25+.

Coach34
10-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure if we could stop A&M from scoring even once- I fully expect them to beat us something like 59-49 or some shit like that. Their D is awful and worse than ours- but our offense cant keep up with theirs.

cheewgumm
10-06-2013, 04:51 PM
No kidding. An injury can't really be blamed on who the opponent is... Especially an Achilles injury. Come on!

Guess the way I see it is that they could conceivably get injured in any game (OK St or not). By the way, OK State is not good.