PDA

View Full Version : This should be a fun discussion

TheRef
03-31-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm stealing this from Joel Coleman and his twitter discussion.

Morgan William's shot against UConn and Roshunda Johnson's shot against Louisville may be the two greatest clutch moments in Mississippi State history, regardless of sport. What other moments could and should be in the discussion?

Burke Masters's grand slam is obviously up there, but didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Hazelwood's FG against Arky could definitely be up there in the discussion.

Bully13
03-31-2018, 01:22 PM
egg bowl, the catch, pick, and kick. remember the pick? where one dude kicks it up in the air for our other dude to pick it?

Saltydog
03-31-2018, 01:31 PM
are certainly up there as well.

Bully13
03-31-2018, 01:40 PM
are certainly up there as well.

yep, the '80 bamer game was awesome. I remember also the love we were getting by kicking the living shit out of an undefeated KY, Pitino coached team in the '96 SEC tourney too.

maroonmania
03-31-2018, 01:49 PM
I would say the Hunter Renfroe 3 run homer in the last game against Oregon State at the 2013 CWS where we won 4-1 was a very clutch moment. Basically sent us from the National semifinal to the finals sort of like Ro's 3 pointer last night.

shoeless joe
03-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Hazelwood kick for sure.

Bowers shot against bama to win SEC championship

Ty Martin homer to send us to the supers

TD pass from Wyatt to butler at auburn in 99...tho not postseason

RocketDawg
03-31-2018, 02:06 PM
The comeback and last minute TD pass to win at Auburn several years ago.

RocketDawg
03-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Mario Austin 3-pointer (the only one of his career) to win vs Kentucky regular season.

Bully13
03-31-2018, 02:08 PM
I would say the Hunter Renfroe 3 run homer in the last game against Oregon State at the 2013 CWS where we won 4-1 was a very clutch moment. Basically sent us from the National semifinal to the finals sort of like Ro's 3 pointer last night.

didn't Renfroe also make a great catch in one of those games that probably saved us? trying to remember which game and the actual situation.

Doc
03-31-2018, 02:47 PM
R Price 1500 meter run to win women's national championship in 2015 I think. Look it up on YouTube.

Liverpooldawg
03-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Cameron Burns, a 48% free throw shooter, making two with no time on the clock to send a game against Ole Miss into overtime and an eventual win.

Because of the stage, those shots in the Final Four are by far the best.

RocketDawg
03-31-2018, 03:59 PM
Cameron Burns, a 48% free throw shooter, making two with no time on the clock to send a game against Ole Miss into overtime and an eventual win.

Because of the stage, those shots in the Final Four are by far the best.

Last second winning or tying shots must be fairly common in the Final Four. ND did the same thing to win against UConn last night. I hope it's not that close against ND tomorrow ... it's not good for the nerves or the blood pressure.

Todd4State
03-31-2018, 04:10 PM
Why would you say that Masters home run didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things? It sent us to Omaha.

How about Madkin to Sirmones with 30 seconds or so left to START the pass, tip, pick, and kick in 1999? That was about a 30 yard throw on the run on a corner route and clutch on Sirmones part as a TE to outrun the Ole Miss safety to get into the end zone. He gets knocked out short of the goal line and who knows what happens? We still probably score but with the time remaining we probably go to OT.

Also, I would add Dak's performance in the 2013 Egg Bowl. It was like a cheesy sports movie script but real. QB is hurt. Thought to be out for the game. Team gets down and he says "I'm going in" and then rallies the team to tie the game and then scores the game winning TD on a fourth down run. Nikoe Whitley was clutch in that game too. INT to start the game. And then as it looks like Bo Wallace is about to tie the game Whitley strips him at about the one yard line allowing Jamerson Love to recover it for the win. Oh- and Whitley did it one leg because his ACL was torn.

Scott Westerfield- against Memphis, against Kentucky, against Ole Miss to win the game.

Brent Rooker in the Governor's Cup last year with his three run bomb to win the game was one of my favorites from last year. Also Billingsley in the USM regional where he pitched a shutout. Brooks Bryan robbing a home run off of someone's grill in the LFL to send us to Omaha in 1997.

RocketDawg
03-31-2018, 04:20 PM
No one has mentioned Ole Miss beating Texas A&M to hand us the SEC Championship in baseball. ** Thanks, Ole Miss.

Fred Garvin
03-31-2018, 05:00 PM
I might get some pushback, but one of my favorite endings is Rocky converting a 2 pt conversion after driving 98 yards to come back vs Memphis St in 1974.

SailingDawg
03-31-2018, 05:15 PM
I might get some pushback, but one of my favorite endings is Rocky converting a 2 pt conversion after driving 98 yards to come back vs Memphis St in 1974.

One of my first memories as a Bulldog fan!

RougeDawg
03-31-2018, 05:30 PM
egg bowl, the catch, pick, and kick. remember the pick? where one dude kicks it up in the air for our other dude to pick it?

I believe it was Robert Bean and Eugene Clinton on that kick pick. Maybe Pig Prather. Two of the three weee the two that did that.

Dawg61
03-31-2018, 05:33 PM
That shot the Notre Dame girl hit might be up there if we win tom

Coach34
03-31-2018, 05:55 PM
Old School- its the Billy Jackson fumble recovery to beat #1 Bama who had won 2 NC's in a row and were undefeated that year. Bama had won 28 straight coming in plus they had won 22 in a row over State as well.

New school- 1999 vs OM. The catch, the pick, and the kick. Led to State becoming the 1st Miss school from the SEC to win 10 games almost 50 years

Bully13
03-31-2018, 06:02 PM
Old School- its the Billy Jackson fumble recovery to beat #1 Bama who had won 2 NC's in a row and were undefeated that year. Bama had won 28 straight coming in plus they had won 22 in a row over State as well.

New school- 1999 vs OM. The catch, the pick, and the kick. Led to State becoming the 1st Miss school from the SEC to win 10 games almost 50 years

We are not the only Mississippi school in the SEC? whose the other one?

shannondawg
03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
That shot the Notre Dame girl hit might be up there if we win tom

That shot looked like it was over Gabby, just like ittybitties over her. Gabby will have nightmares over that.

TaleofTwoDogs
03-31-2018, 06:27 PM
Old school - Tyrone Keys making the tackle on Alabama quarterback Don Jacobs, causing a fumble which sealed the Bulldogs' 6-3 upset of the #1 Crimson Tide.

New school - Josh Robinson's run against Kentucky in 2014 where he was hit by just about every Kentucky player but still gained 20+ yards.

https://youtu.be/BHDLQ9ISors