PDA

View Full Version : Probably the best game Vic has coached at Miss State

Coach34
03-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Blair wasnt effective tonight- and Danberry out of nowhere was effective. He not only sat a starter- but he sat his child. It was the correct move and he made it
And Ro is my favorite- she came thru yet again. What a shot- Louisville died when she hit it

Coach34
03-30-2018, 08:26 PM
His 2 time-outs when we were down 7 in the 4th and then when we were scrambling on offense after a turnover to settle us down were huge also. Great calls there

basedog
03-30-2018, 08:32 PM
National Coach of the year! Our best all time coach for any sport before his career is done.

Coach34
03-30-2018, 08:36 PM
The 2nd time-out after we got the turnover when we were scrambling was the best- we settled down, he called a play to Wanda on the block- and she hammered it home. Awesome as a coach and your team runs it to perfection. It put us right back in the game in the 4th Q

BrunswickDawg
Louisville has to be wondering what they did to spend all year getting raw dogged by MSU.

Grantham v Sirmon
Gator Bowl
NIT
Final Four

Let?s go get their baseball coach and end the year right!

DownwardDawg
Incredible game to watch!!

Bothrops
03-30-2018, 08:37 PM
Vic has no flaws as a coach, I've never seen anyone quite like him.

Political Hack
03-30-2018, 08:46 PM

We’d better be ready to make a substantial commitment to women’s basketball. We get to find out if we’re going to be Pat Summit-UT-like or go back to being irrelevant after the season.

preachermatt83
03-30-2018, 08:55 PM
We’d better be ready to make a substantial commitment to women’s basketball. We get to find out if we’re going to be Pat Summit-UT-like or go back to being irrelevant after the season.

He's the second highest paid women's coach in America and I'd be willing to bet we give him another 200k. He's worth it.

preachermatt83
03-30-2018, 08:56 PM
He's the second highest paid women's coach in America and I'd be willing to bet we give him another 200k. He's worth it.

3rd highest... I forgot about dawns big raise. There are only two programs he would even entertain.... Tennessee and aTm.

preachermatt83
03-30-2018, 08:57 PM

He's truly amazing.

Liverpooldawg
03-30-2018, 08:58 PM
I agree 34, Vic put on a clinic tonight.

Lord McBuckethead
03-30-2018, 08:59 PM

Well he is a quick cryer. Not that it is a bad thing. Emotion works.

RocketDawg
03-30-2018, 09:16 PM

I think we'll be relevant as long as he's in Starkville, and I truly think he's here to stay (thought that about Mullen too ....). If we win Sunday, and keep it up next year, players will be knocking our doors down like they are now at UConn, ND, and few others.

maroonmania
03-30-2018, 09:21 PM
I think we'll be relevant as long as he's in Starkville, and I truly think he's here to stay (thought that about Mullen too ....). If we win Sunday, and keep it up next year, players will be knocking our doors down like they are now at UConn, ND, and few others.

He could leave but he is WAY further into his career to pick up and leave for another school than Mullen who we gave a HC job when he was still in his 30s.

preachermatt83
03-30-2018, 09:25 PM
He could leave but he is WAY further into his career to pick up and leave for another school than Mullen who we gave a HC job when he was still in his 30s.

When Blair retires and aTm comes calling we will be in for a battle.

basedog
03-30-2018, 09:28 PM
When Blair retires and aTm comes calling we will be in for a battle.

Don't think so.

Mjoelner34
03-30-2018, 09:33 PM
I agree with the exception of T being 15 feet away from the basket on D. They had 28 points in the paint with her way up at the free throw line. No center in any level of organized basketball is going to beat you from the 3 point line. Let their big shoot as many times as she wants too out there. Their last 2 shots from the paint ended up in the cheap seats with T back down low. Play her there the whole game and we blow them out.

BeardoMSU
03-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Don't think so.

It's unfortunate. A&M people are cultish, almost on a nationalistic level, when it comes to A&M. I doubt there will be much of a battle...and I don't hold it against him.

Homedawg
03-30-2018, 09:50 PM
3rd highest... I forgot about dawns big raise. There are only two programs he would even entertain.... Tennessee and aTm.

No he's the second highest based on percentage of budget. Matthew Mitchell and others make more. Not counting bonus of course. But I'm sure we pay him. He won't leave bc of money. He's gonna make over a million this year. What else you want ?

Rejlector84sports
03-31-2018, 12:04 AM
players will be knocking our doors down like they are now at UConn, ND, and few others.

It's already happened... Vic has gotten Andra Espinosa-Hunter to transfer from Geno's crew at UConn - and Ro Johnson is a transfer from Oklahoma State.

mstatefan91
03-31-2018, 12:20 AM
Blair wasnt effective tonight- and Danberry out of nowhere was effective. He not only sat a starter- but he sat his child. It was the correct move and he made it
And Ro is my favorite- she came thru yet again. What a shot- Louisville died when she hit it
Danberry has shown flashes but hasn't always had her shots go down. I think she can be a really good player if she starts shooting consistently.. Her quickness is invaluable.

mstatefan91
03-31-2018, 12:25 AM
It's unfortunate. A&M people are cultish, almost on a nationalistic level, when it comes to A&M. I doubt there will be much of a battle...and I don't hold it against him.

He wins a Natty on Sunday, and he goes nowhere.. he doesn't.. Blair retires in a couple of years, and he might..

My thoughts on the issue, and they may be dead wrong

BeardoMSU
03-31-2018, 12:31 AM
He wins a Natty on Sunday, and he goes nowhere.. he doesn't.. Blair retires in a couple of years, and he might..

My thoughts on the issue, and they may be dead wrong

I hope you're right. I really hope we win Sunday, obviously, lol. I'd like to hope that after winning the rock here at State, Vic would be happy staying here long term; I want nothing more than that. However, the only concern I have is A&M opening up....because he's an A&M guy, and their alumni love them some A&M, in a way that honestly baffles me (i.e., "cultish"). Hell, Cohen has already said Vic ain't leaving us because of money, so I know that won't be an issue, but if it were anyone other than A&M, I'd feel great about our chances long term....

mstatefan91
03-31-2018, 12:41 AM
I hope you're right. I really hope we win Sunday, obviously, lol. I'd like to hope that after winning the rock here at State, Vic would be happy staying here long term; I want nothing more than that. However, the only concern I have is A&M opening up....because he's an A&M guy, and their alumni love them some A&M, in a way that honestly baffles me (i.e., "cultish"). Hell, Cohen has already said Vic ain't leaving us because of money, so I know that won't be an issue, but if it were anyone other than A&M, I'd feel great about our chances long term....

I think we have a couple of years to get it together. Obviously winning on Sunday would help our case a lot.

Blair is going to wait for Chennedy to mature before he retires. She could lead them back to the promised land with her talent.. she just has to grow up some

Pit Bull
03-31-2018, 02:39 AM
Louisville has to be wondering what they did to spend all year getting raw dogged by MSU.

Grantham v Sirmon
Gator Bowl
NIT
Final Four

Let?s go get their baseball coach and end the year right!

Called a "Maroon Dog Hangover". The Maroon Dog is a great drink!!!....just don't drink too much of it like the Ville did. It'll flat knock you out!

Dallas_Dawg
03-31-2018, 02:43 AM
Good breakdown as usual and I agree. What a ballsy move. And those Blairs are all about the classiest bunch of people you want in your university.
Let?s go win the whole damn thing

Dawgface
03-31-2018, 07:30 AM
Keep raising his salary. We're getting a great return on our investment. Can't beat the national publicity. I know his a&m ties but if he's loved here and has a built a great program. Would be hard for anyone to leave......although not impossible.

msbulldog
03-31-2018, 07:49 AM

He wouldn't even consider Tennessee, 1st, its fan base makes it a snake pit and 2nd you would have to work for Phat Phil!
It really doesn't matter, because Tennessee cannot fire Holly Warwick. Holly is 'special' and she has a 'special' following in the fanbase.

basedog
03-31-2018, 08:12 AM

His kids graduated from Msu, he is 57 years old, it's his program, he will be a millionaire, "This Is His State".....

I don't see Blair leaving just yet anyway! Msu girls basketball > Aggies girls basketball

Joe Schmedlap
03-31-2018, 08:20 AM
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

He wouldn't even consider Tennessee, 1st, its fan base makes it a snake pit and 2nd you would have to work for Phat Phil!
It really doesn't matter, because Tennessee cannot fire Holly Warwick. Holly is 'special' and she has a 'special' following in the fanbase.

Political Hack
03-31-2018, 08:52 AM
Earlier in the tourney we played a team where we knew we couldn’t run with their bigs.... We played man-up anyway and he had Vivian track them back down the court on the break every time until our 4/5’s got back and then she’d flash out on her man. He gave her an easier defensive assignment in the half court set because of it and it worked perfectly. Most coaches don’t prepare for things like that. They just tell their bigs to run faster.

preachermatt83
03-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Lol.. holly will be fired after next season if they are not in the elite 8.

DanDority
03-31-2018, 10:17 AM
I agree 34, Vic put on a clinic tonight.

I disagree, at the end of the game he began to sub. O for D with subbing Blair for Danberry when we were shooting free throws but then got caught watching the game in steed of managing the game.

Quaoarsking
03-31-2018, 02:46 PM
Lol.. holly will be fired after next season if they are not in the elite 8.

Hopefully Tennessee pursues Staley instead of Vic.

Coach34
03-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Hopefully Tennessee pursues Staley instead of Vic.

What can Vic do at Tennessee he cant do at State?

Bothrops
03-31-2018, 06:04 PM
What can Vic do at Tennessee he cant do at State?

Not a thing.

Coach34
03-31-2018, 06:35 PM
Not a thing.

Exactly- he has Miss State in the championship game 2 years in a row. He would not leave State to go to Tennessee.

Vic loves his job at State and is paid very well. The only way he leaves State is because he simply wants to try and win a NC at his alma mater. Only way he would leave us

RocketDawg
03-31-2018, 06:43 PM

What is "special" about Holly Warwick? I kinda get the impression they're tired of not winning and would like to see her go. It's hard to follow Pat Summitt.

Coach34
03-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Holly is a year away from being put in the road. They were better this year and it bought her a little more time

LC Dawg
03-31-2018, 06:54 PM
We know when Gary Blair retires Vic will be relieved to not have to coach against him because he thinks so much of Blair but it wouldn?t surprise me if Vic stays at State. If the next A&M coach struggled to win is when I think we would have the biggest worry with Vic because he wouldn?t want to see that program struggle.

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2018, 07:26 PM
I agree with the exception of T being 15 feet away from the basket on D. They had 28 points in the paint with her way up at the free throw line. No center in any level of organized basketball is going to beat you from the 3 point line. Let their big shoot as many times as she wants too out there. Their last 2 shots from the paint ended up in the cheap seats with T back down low. Play her there the whole game and we blow them out.

That was my only complaint, too. I would keep T down low until that center forced his hand by knocking down some outside shots.