PDA

View Full Version : Ashton shumpert

msstate7
10-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one upset that our safeties get raped against teams with talent at wr while we have a potential superstar sitting 4th string a rb? Shump can help us now at safety. Move him back to rb next season, but he can help us at safety now.

Thick
10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Someone said that in another thread. We've already burned his redshirt, no need for him waste away at RB this year. Sounds like a good idea. Nickoe sucks!

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Shumpert is not an SEC safety. Just b/c some guy on a recruiting website said it once, doesn't mean it's true. He's nowhere near as good at safety as Dee Arrington and we rarely play Dee.

chef dixon
10-06-2013, 11:12 AM
We severely miss Jay Hughes

Thick
10-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Well then why is Dee not playing more, because Whitley is nothing but a liability in coverage. He doesn't wrap up when tackling either, tries to knock them down.

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Shumpert is not an SEC safety. Just b/c some guy on a recruiting website said it once, doesn't mean it's true. He's nowhere near as good at safety as Dee Arrington and we rarely play Dee.

I saw Shumpert play several times in high school and I always felt like he was a much better running back than safety. I would think that most people that actually saw Shumpert play would say the same thing.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Shumpert gives us no added speed if put in the secondary. We have plenty of slower guys that will knock the shit out of you like Whitley, Arrington, Antoine, etc...what we need is Jay Hughes or another speedy safety that can help in coverage. Our run support has been good for the most part, and with an improved D-Line, we can stop the run without safety help. We need a guy with Cox's speed over at safety, and we need to hope Redmond is as advertised and can incorporate his speed and coverage skills at CB. Just getting a good cover corner with speed and replacing Whitley with Cox, would be a drastic improvement in speed and coverage in our secondary.

Jiles will end up being a good one, and Calhoun may as well....but right now we have 1 capable DB and that is Jamerson Love. We have got to hope that Redmond can be another good CB the rest of he season so we can try something different at safety

msstate7
10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Am I the only one upset that our safeties get raped against teams with talent at wr while we have a potential superstar sitting 4th string a rb? Shump can help us now at safety. Move him back to rb next season, but he can help us at safety now.

Maybe he isn't an sec safety, but he's 4th string rb right now who's being wasted. When he was in high school, I bet he played with more energy on offense. Running the ball 20 times a game probably makes you want to relax some on defense. Safety is a major concern and it has to be fixed no matter what it takes

msstate7
10-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Shumpert gives us no added speed if put in the secondary. We have plenty of slower guys that will knock the shit out of you like Whitley, Arrington, Antoine, etc...what we need is Jay Hughes or another speedy safety that can help in coverage. Our run support has been good for the most part, and with an improved D-Line, we can stop the run without safety help. We need a guy with Cox's speed over at safety, and we need to hope Redmond is as advertised and can incorporate his speed and coverage skills at CB. Just getting a good cover corner with speed and replacing Whitley with Cox, would be a drastic improvement in speed and coverage in our secondary.

Jiles will end up being a good one, and Calhoun may as well....but right now we have 1 capable DB and that is Jamerson Love. We have got to hope that Redmond can be another good CB the rest of he season so we can try something different at safety

I think Nickoe's instincts and angles are his problem more than speed. Every team from here out is gonna attack us downfield. We've gotta fix this ASAP

trob115
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I hope we put Dee at starting FS next week. I know he's been nursing a hamstring injury but I gurantee you he wouldn't ol? people when trying to make a tackle. I hate watching Nikoe just look scared to tackle out there and afraid of contact. Not to mention he's garbage in coverage.

Shump has a future imo as an every down back and the chance to start by next year. He will be a great back, but I hate we have wasted his freshman year.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I hope we put Dee at starting FS next week. I know he's been nursing a hamstring injury but I gurantee you he wouldn't ol? people when trying to make a tackle. I hate watching Nikoe just look scared to tackle out there and afraid of contact. Not to mention he's garbage in coverage.

Shump has a future imo as an every down back and the chance to start by next year. He will be a great back, but I hate we have wasted his freshman year.

Nickoe is a lot of things, but "afraid of contact" ain't one of them. Now, I agree that he will not wrap up...and that's after 4 years of being told to wrap up

preachermatt83
10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
he should not have used his redshirt at all that was just stupid.. he will be an amazing running back but he will never get a chance the way we rotate backs.

msstate7
10-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I always thought the hard-hitting safety that suffers in coverage was used at ss. Aren't we playing Nickoe at fs?

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 01:29 PM
he should not have used his redshirt at all that was just stupid.. he will be an amazing running back but he will never get a chance the way we rotate backs.

That's nonsense. Do you remember Ballard? Dixon? Perkins isnt an every down type like Shump. Plus Perk and Co have had Russell...Shump will have Dak

preachermatt83
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
That's nonsense. Do you remember Ballard? Dixon? Perkins isnt an every down type like Shump. Plus Perk and Co have had Russell...Shump will have Dak

that's true but you have to consider JRob is a sophomore.. shump will be splitting carries with him until he's a senior. If we had not wasted his RS he would have two years of dominance.

Bothrops
10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I would have played Shump some last night. Would have played Griffin and Milton some too. Whitley had great instincts and angles before his injury. He's a shell of what he once was.

bulldawg28
10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I always thought the hard-hitting safety that suffers in coverage was used at ss. Aren't we playing Nickoe at fs?

Yes. Now this makes plenty sense. Put Nickoe in the box and someone else deep not 5'8 Market.

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 04:09 PM
that's true but you have to consider JRob is a sophomore.. shump will be splitting carries with him until he's a senior. If we had not wasted his RS he would have two years of dominance.

We use at least two backs. We don't know what Dan plans to do with Milton and Griffen- maybe convert them into fullbacks? And we don't know if someone will leave or not.

Martianlander
10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Since his injury Nickoe Whitley is constantly out of position. He hurt us last night and last year, especially the Bears game.

Coach34
10-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Perkins is sharing time with JRob
Next year, JRob will share carries with Shump
2015- same with Aeris Williams being the 3rd guy
2016? Shump will share carries with Williams and Dontavian Lee

It's the way football is now. The days of the 25 carry RB's are just about gone

Saltydog
10-07-2013, 08:37 AM
some issues there. Why the heck not? Get the guy on the field.

Saltydog
10-07-2013, 08:39 AM
natural position is safety........I've seen him play and he's adept at both........

C222
10-07-2013, 08:40 AM
This is the most annoying thing our fan base does. Let's put someone at a different position because he played there in high school!!! Yeah, great idea. I bet you wanted Bumphis to play QB too.