PDA

View Full Version : The QB Rotation: How do you divide the snaps?

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 10:30 AM
...my biggest hesitation with giving Dak the reigns has been my concern about 3rd down production. Based on the numbers so far, I think it's a valid concern. Here's the numbers against our three BCS opponents:

With Dak in the Game
3rd Downs overall: 8 for 29. That's 27.5%.

3rd & 7 or longer: 3 for 18 (two of those three were runs). That's 16.6%.
3rd and 6 or shorter: 5 for 11. That's 45.5%.
3rd and 3 or shorter: 3 for 5. That's 60%.

We have to be smart in how we use Dak, and Tyler is going to have to be able to jog in off the bench, complete a 10 yard pass, and jog back off if we're going to switch them out drive by drive. We need both to be successful this season in my opinion, but CDM has to understand when to use them. He did it with Tebow and Leak, so I know he can be successful with rotating these two.

We've played the best offense we're going to see this season, and should be able to hold all but A&M, Bama, and S. Car to under 24 points from here on out. Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Arkansas are all averaging under 22 points a game in SEC play. If that holds, we will have a really good chance to win all three of those games. Add Bowling Green and we could still be bowling...

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I agree. After last night, I think both QBs bring something different to the team and should be used. However, what I don't agree with is giving one a drive, and then the other a drive. I would like to use both situationally. Meaning Dak would start every drive because his ability to run keep our offense on schedule and out of 3rd and longs. But there is a place for Tyler in the offense especially on 3rd and longs and when we are down in the 2nd half and must come back. I think we should use both QBs abilities to complement each other.

Although we scored on Tyler's 1st drive and our 3rd possession last night, I thought it was dumb that we brought Tyler in the game after Dak had led us to a TD and field goal. The offense was working, so why change it? However, Tyler should play, but just situationally.

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Agree for the most part, I just see it as the other way around. Dak should play, but situationally.

When you're bringing a guy off the bench because he's the guy that can dig you out of holes (3rd and longs and coming from behind), I think it shows that he may be the more complete QB.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Good Lord, Tyler was awful on 3rd downs last year and against Ok. State. I would give 100% of the snaps to Dak like we did against Troy and AU.

FlabLoser
10-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I like what we did last night except for when the game starting to get out of hand. When we had to go to all-passing mode, Tyler should have been in there.

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Tyler is 3-6 on 3rd downs between the first drive of the OSU game and the LSU game. That's 50%.

He's 3-5 passing, with 54 yards, and a TD on those plays.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Tyler is 3-6 on 3rd downs between the first drive of the OSU game and the LSU game. That's 50%.

He's 3-5 passing, with 54 yards, and a TD on those plays.

Huh? We were 1-7 on 3rd downs against OSU with Tyler at QB. And then there's all of the 2012 season to consider. Rotating QBs is horrible on so many levels. From presence in the huddle to coordination with the O-line, WR's and running back. To cadence, to knowing who your leader is, continuity not to mention the fact that Dak is the future.

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I'll agree to disagree. I don't see any value in counting anything at okie state after he took that shot while sliding. it was over for him at that point.

I seen it dawg
10-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Tyler played better last night because he finally has to compete for playing time. He realizes that Dak is just as good as he is so he better strap it up and come to play. It pisses me off that he hasn't been like this his entire career here. He has the talent but has never been driven enough.

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Tyler played better last night because he finally has to compete for playing time. He realizes that Dak is just as good as he is so he better strap it up and come to play. It pisses me off that he hasn't been like this his entire career here. He has the talent but has never been driven enough.

we all forget that Dak was out last spring, which not only set him back but also left TR without any competition. I think they'd both be further along had Dak been healthy.

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 12:08 PM

This is how quarterbacking is supposed to be- where they are pushing each other to be the best that they can be. Sort of like Joe Montana and Steve Young. The 49ers got Young and it forced Montana to step his game up a notch. Which was good for them. The thing that sucks for us is using a two QB system like last night, I'm pretty sure we beat Auburn.

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 12:13 PM
If I were Dan, I would start with Tyler. Mainly because he is the senior and all of that and there is not much difference in terms of production between the two. Script 15 plays, and work Dak in to 2-3 of them. After those 15 plays, bring Dak in and try to establish the running game since that's what our offense is designed to do. From that point on, go with whomever has the hot hand and also base it off of situation. If we need a pass, bring in Tyler. If we need a couple of yards- go with Dak. But I would conciously make sure that we run the ball some when Tyler comes in- a lot like last night- and then have Dak throw it some to keep everyone honest.

preachermatt83
10-06-2013, 01:33 PM
dak should play 98 percent of the snaps.. it's not just the simple running but the ESCAPABILITY!!!! He is most dangerous under pressure and Tyler sucks under pressure

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 04:04 PM
dak should play 98 percent of the snaps.. it's not just the simple running but the ESCAPABILITY!!!! He is most dangerous under pressure and Tyler sucks under pressure

This has been hashed out on here ad nauseum. Dak is still developing as a passer. If we play him 98% of the time, we become one dimensional. Tyler isn't as mobile, but he is a veteran that can read defenses, is careful with the ball in general- possibly to a fault- and can stretch the field with his passing. The BEST option for us offensively is to play both. I think that was proven against LSU.

fishwater99
10-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I like what we did last night except for when the game starting to get out of hand. When we had to go to all-passing mode, Tyler should have been in there.

Then we stuck with DAK for too long. And forced him to be a passing QB.

But LSU is damn good on offense.

Coach34
10-06-2013, 06:06 PM
When Mullen played Prescott the entire 3rd Q and didnt insert Russell until mop-up time- he has told you who the starter is going to be.

DanDority
10-06-2013, 06:45 PM
When Mullen played Prescott the entire 3rd Q and didnt insert Russell until mop-up time- he has told you who the starter is going to be.

Yeah, but the sad thing is it will not matter because we have a cripple in the secondary.

drunkernhelldawg
10-07-2013, 12:01 AM

Maybe. Sometimes I think Mullen is just reacting to the moment. A drive ends on a bad third down pass by TR, and we don't see him again until garbage time. I felt that TR had better control of the football team last night, but I think somehow DM missed it. Bottom line is the only message I see here is that is DM's whim of the moment. Not a fan of game planning by reaction.