PDA

View Full Version : JoMo 5 practices in...

Leroy Jenkins
03-29-2018, 07:52 PM
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lPJqnRlzdAxb

I cant put my finger on it.... there is something I like about Joe; he's comfortable in his skin. Somebody I would probably have a beer with. Don never was comfortable to be around.

BuckyIsAB****
03-29-2018, 08:33 PM
I can say after meeting him he is extremely more approachable than 2 gloves ever was.

2 gloves would show up in our office on fridays talk to the HC and leave. Moorhead came in sat down, talked to every coach, manager, and kid he saw.

He's also pretty funny

RocketDawg
03-29-2018, 08:52 PM
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lPJqnRlzdAxb

I cant put my finger on it.... there is something I like about Joe; he's comfortable in his skin. Somebody I would probably have a beer with. Don never was comfortable to be around.

Don ... Dan ... was pretty much hyper. Kinda like a cat with a long tail in a room full of rocking chairs. Plus, he could be sarcastic. Probably not as bad as Saban though ... I'd hate to have him for a neighbor (other than the fact it would be good to afford to live in his neighborhood). Moorhead just seems like a down to earth human.

dawg21
03-29-2018, 09:08 PM
Reading his body langauge he can?t believe the talent he has his first year. We are going to be better than 2014. Can we beat Bammer at T-town? Probably not. But we will be a top 10 team.

Natedogg33
03-29-2018, 09:43 PM
Everytime I hear JoMo talk, I like the guy more. He’s like a kid on an Easter egg hunt that finds a $10 bill in his egg as opposed to a nickel. He doesn’t brag about what he found, but he knows what’s in his basket.
Hopefully this wool I’m growing lasts to deer season.

Todd4State
03-29-2018, 09:48 PM
What I like immediately is his attention to detail. That's the kind of thing that elevates a program and makes it better.

Jack Lambert
03-29-2018, 09:59 PM
I can say after meeting him he is extremely more approachable than 2 gloves ever was.

2 gloves would show up in our office on fridays talk to the HC and leave. Moorhead came in sat down, talked to every coach, manager, and kid he saw.

He's also pretty funny

Mullen stopped and talked with me for about 15 minutes in the student union about six years ago.

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 10:31 PM

He's also pretty funny

Ive heard several ppl mention his humor. They say he's got this subtle hilarity to him.

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Everytime I hear JoMo talk, I like the guy more. He’s like a kid on an Easter egg hunt that finds a $10 bill in his egg as opposed to a nickel. He doesn’t brag about what he found, but he knows what’s in his basket.
Hopefully this wool I’m growing lasts to deer season.

Outstanding analogy

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Don ... Dan ... was pretty much hyper. Kinda like a cat with a long tail in a room full of rocking chairs. Plus, he could be sarcastic. Probably not as bad as Saban though ... I'd hate to have him for a neighbor (other than the fact it would be good to afford to live in his neighborhood). Moorhead just seems like a down to earth human.

I lost a lot of respect for don when he acted the way he did with the journalists about injuries a few years back. He acted like he was better than anyone in the room and like they should feel privileged that he chose to even speak with them.

Pit Bull
03-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Don had that Yankee edge to him. Not knowing anything about them, I would have figured Don to be the typical tight wired New Yorker. And would have thought JoMo was more from maybe upstate rural NY. JoMo is definitely the one who I would feel more comfortable with. If I was a big time recruit, JoMo would win me over before Don.

bulldawg28
03-30-2018, 06:49 AM
Reading his body langauge he can?t believe the talent he has his first year. We are going to be better than 2014. Can we beat Bammer at T-town? Probably not. But we will be a top 10 team.

If we're better than 2014 we'll beat Bama

HumpDawgy
03-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Not to scare everybody, but Peter Sirmon was a pretty good talker too. I too like what JoeMo has said and done so far, but this fall we will see how good a coach he is. His team is loaded, so there should be no excuses.

msstatelp1
03-30-2018, 07:08 AM
Not to scare everybody, but Peter Sirmon was a pretty good talker too. I too like what JoeMo has said and done so far, but this fall we will see how good a coach he is. His team is loaded, so there should be no excuses.

One thing in Coach JoMo's favor is that he's been a very successful Offensive Coordinator at a major school and a head coach so he knows what he's looking at.

Political Hack
03-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Nobody really knows if they’re a JoMo fan yet. Everybody will figure that out this fall after the Sunday morning QBs second guess play calling, time management, game plan, player rotations, etc... This is SEC football. Croom was nice too. Didn’t make him a good coach. Not that I compare those two in any way shape or fashion. JoMo is probably one of the best emerging football minds around. He’s just never been a HC at this level before and we’ve got a TON of talent this season. That’s a pretty big pressure cooker to step into. High expectations at Miss State in the toughest division, in the toughest conference, in college football. He wins big this year, he’ll go from a well-respected OC to legendary status in under 12 months.

TrapGame
03-30-2018, 08:17 AM

Sirmon is from the Joey Freshwater School of Self Promotion.

Dawgface
03-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Nobody really knows if they?re a JoMo fan yet. Everybody will figure that out this fall after the Sunday morning QBs second guess play calling, time management, game plan, player rotations, etc... This is SEC football. Croom was nice too. Didn?t make him a good coach. Not that I compare those two in any way shape or fashion. JoMo is probably one of the best emerging football minds around. He?s just never been a HC at this level before and we?ve got a TON of talent this season. That?s a pretty big pressure cooker to step into. High expectations at Miss State in the toughest division, in the toughest conference, in college football. He wins big this year, he?ll go from a well-respected OC to legendary status in under 12 months.

True. JoMo has more pressure on him this year than most 1st year coaches. If he was taking over a cluster 17, no one would expect much. But expectations are high. I like what I see so far but time will tell the tale.

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2018, 08:49 AM
I like winning on the field and on the recruiting trail.

I’ll judge Moorehead by that.

Fred Garvin
03-30-2018, 09:04 AM
Nobody really knows if they?re a JoMo fan yet. Everybody will figure that out this fall after the Sunday morning QBs second guess play calling, time management, game plan, player rotations, etc... This is SEC football. Croom was nice too. Didn?t make him a good coach. Not that I compare those two in any way shape or fashion. JoMo is probably one of the best emerging football minds around. He?s just never been a HC at this level before and we?ve got a TON of talent this season. That?s a pretty big pressure cooker to step into. High expectations at Miss State in the toughest division, in the toughest conference, in college football. He wins big this year, he?ll go from a well-respected OC to legendary status in under 12 months.

Talked to a Penn State guy earlier this month. He said Joe was the difference in the program and they HATED losing him. The guy said he plans to follow State because he is such a JoMo fan.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Mullen stopped and talked with me for about 15 minutes in the student union about six years ago.

Thats great

Brahmabull
03-30-2018, 09:29 AM
I agree that we have some very good talent in spots on our team for 2018, but let's not act like we match talent for talent with the top teams in the SEC. We are still very thin at spots and weak in spots. I just don't want us to set an unrealistic bar for JoMo in year 1. Yes we should have a very good team in 2018, but we still face teams more talented than us in key positions.

Jack Lambert
03-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Thats great

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. He would talk to you if you approached him.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2018, 09:34 AM
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. He would talk to you if you approached him.

I wasnt either. Just really didnt know what else to say.

Im just saying when he came to our campus on gamedays he didnt have much to say to anyone. He flew into one of our games in a chopper one time though. That was pretty cool

Coach34
03-30-2018, 09:49 AM
I agree that we have some very good talent in spots on our team for 2018, but let's not act like we match talent for talent with the top teams in the SEC. We are still very thin at spots and weak in spots. I just don't want us to set an unrealistic bar for JoMo in year 1. Yes we should have a very good team in 2018, but we still face teams more talented than us in key positions.

The SEC is a LOS league and we are top 3 in the SEC on both sides of the ball
We are Top 3 at QB
We are very good at RB
We are very good at Safety
We are very good at TE
We are good at LB but don’t need injuries

Our only concerns are WR and CB

We are Top 3 in the SEC in talent for 2018

Hell, Auburn has already lost 2 of their top 6 WR’s to ACL tears

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2018, 09:58 AM
The SEC is a LOS league and we are top 3 in the SEC on both sides of the ball
We are Top 3 at QB
We are very good at RB
We are very good at Safety
We are very good at TE
We are good at LB but don?t need injuries

Our only concerns are WR and CB

We are Top 3 in the SEC in talent for 2018

Hell, Auburn has already lost 2 of their top 6 WR?s to ACL tears

And I'm sure that help us get picked 6th in the West come media days instead of our usual 7th***
I really hope too that Vegas puts us at 6.5 wins - it will be easy money.

Brahmabull
03-30-2018, 10:01 AM
I hear ya coach, but I just have a hard time believing our OL is top 3. Let's say we are top 3 in the OL, how far do we drop if we sustain just 1 season ending injury in the OL?

Coach34
03-30-2018, 10:15 AM
I hear ya coach, but I just have a hard time believing our OL is top 3. Let's say we are top 3 in the OL, how far do we drop if we sustain just 1 season ending injury in the OL?

Based on every metric you can judge an OL by- we were top 3 last year and return 4 starters with more depth in 2018.

Losing a starting OT awhile would hurt us some- but we have plenty of good depth at OG. If Jenkins gets hurt at Center- then Calhoun would move over and we would insert another OG. So basically OT depth is our only concern

tcdog70
03-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Based on every metric you can judge an OL by- we were top 3 last year and return 4 starters with more depth in 2018.

Losing a starting OT awhile would hurt us some- but we have plenty of good depth at OG. If Jenkins gets hurt at Center- then Calhoun would move over and we would insert another OG. So basically OT depth is our only concern

Damn straight, you are all over this.our OL will be top notch.

PassInterference
03-30-2018, 11:34 AM

I wishi had a dollar for every time a fan of some school has said ?we lost a star OT but the rest of the OL returns?.

MoreCowbell
03-30-2018, 11:40 AM
I wishi had a dollar for every time a fan of some school has said ?we lost a star OT but the rest of the OL returns?.

Well the OT we lost missed some games and his replacement did just as well if not better. OL didnt miss a beat with Rankin out so technically we return all starters.

MoreCowbell
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
I would rank our position groups from best to worst as DL, OL, QB, RB, S, LB, CB, WR

ETA- all but CB and WR are top 5 in the SEC easy

tcdog70
03-30-2018, 11:47 AM

But in our case, when Rankin was hurt Eliand stepped in and was a force. We didn't miss a beat. So you can forget the $1.

Coach34
03-30-2018, 01:13 PM
I’ve never seen an OL return 4 starters and be bad

Commercecomet24
03-30-2018, 01:26 PM
We are going to be hell for teams to handle on both LOS.

Dental Dawg33
03-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Yes it's only 5 practices and haven't played a game yet, but it's hard not to be excited listening to JoMo (and knowing just how much talent we are bringing to the plate). He's as cool as a cucumber and very collected when he speaks. The kind of guy you listen when he talks. Like someone said earlier, he knows just how full his basket is but would never gloat about it. He has a silent confidence that just makes me like the guy. He has his standards and non-negotiables. If you abide by those then you will be rewarded. If you don't, I'll find someone that will

Commercecomet24
03-30-2018, 02:12 PM
Yes it's only 5 practices and haven't played a game yet, but it's hard not to be excited listening to JoMo (and knowing just how much talent we are bringing to the plate). He's as cool as a cucumber and very collected when he speaks. The kind of guy you listen when he talks. Like someone said earlier, he knows just how full his basket is but would never gloat about it. He has a silent confidence that just makes me like the guy. He has his standards and non-negotiables. If you abide by those then you will be rewarded. If you don't, I'll find someone that will

Absolutely 100% agree on all! Joe is self assured and confident without the arrogance. Big difference between arrogance and confidence. Arrogance can fold under pressure, confidence doesn?t. Joe is confident!

Todd4State
03-30-2018, 03:14 PM

Based on his interview it sounds like he feels we are ahead of where some of his other teams were at the same point in the past. That's probably not too surprising since we have a veteran team and our defense has been through five DC's in their careers if they are a fifth year senior.

Todd4State
03-30-2018, 03:19 PM

The big difference between Joe and Dan and Croom for that matter too- is that Joe has college head coaching experience. That has to lessen the learning curve. And one thing that impressed me about Joe is he was able to beat Army on the road. For someone like Fordham that would be about like MSU beating Alabama on the road. And he beat Jeff Monken who is a pretty good coach.

It's one thing to run the offense. But Joe has run the offense and had to work with DC's and special teams coaches. Also- the Fordham team he took over was awful and he turned them into a 12-1 team. It's not like he took over Marshall when they were a I-AA team and had Randy Moss and Chad Pennington.

Political Hack
03-30-2018, 04:04 PM
Talked to a Penn State guy earlier this month. He said Joe was the difference in the program and they HATED losing him. The guy said he plans to follow State because he is such a JoMo fan.

Have a friend who?s a pretty big Penn State alumn. He was upset when JoMo left. He was pissed when the RB Coach joined him. He said we plucked their two best coaches. Another buddy, who?s a huge fan, felt the same way. We made the best hire in the offseason imo.

MedDawg
03-30-2018, 05:14 PM
I?ve never seen an OL return 4 starters and be bad

In 2010 we had a pretty good OL full of senior 2- and 3-stars (plus 4-star Derek Sherrod). Most weren't big-time recruits but by the time they were seniors they jelled.

Coach34
03-30-2018, 05:39 PM
In 2010 we had a pretty good OL full of senior 2- and 3-stars (plus 4-star Derek Sherrod). Most weren't big-time recruits but by the time they were seniors they jelled.

We returned alot upfront in 2014 as well.

msbulldog
03-30-2018, 05:48 PM
We returned alot upfront in 2014 as well.

Your right Coach about 2014 and the beauty of those guys were they came out of no where Dillon a 2 star and Beckwith a walk-on.