PDA

View Full Version : Let's play GM- You are the Cleveland Browns GM

Coach34
03-29-2018, 06:41 PM
You have already signed FA QB's Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton- so you have told the world you arent drafting a QB. You have draft picks #1 and #4. You arent bad on D but awful on offense.

Do you draft Barkley #1 to make sure you have a top RB/playmaker for the next 5-7 years? Been awhile since a RB has gone that high- but Elliot in Dallas has shown the right guy can have a huge impact. Then take a top talent at 4 to fit your needs?

Do you trade one of those top picks to the NYG's for OBJ to get a playmaker at WR?

Do you trade down some with that top pick to get more picks and take the best players available at 4 and wherever you dropped down to?

Not needing a QB- I trade down from 1- seeing if I can get the NYG's to bite with OBJ or other teams for more picks. Hopefully Barkley is still there at 4- which he likely is- and grab him there. Browns needs talent and more picks. They have chosen to not draft a QB- so get more picks to upgrade the talent level of the team- especially since your future HOF OL guy just retired.

MetEdDawg
03-29-2018, 06:51 PM
You have already signed FA QB's Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton- so you have told the world you arent drafting a QB. You have draft picks #1 and #4. You arent bad on D but awful on offense.

Do you draft Barkley #1 to make sure you have a top RB/playmaker for the next 5-7 years? Been awhile since a RB has gone that high- but Elliot in Dallas has shown the right guy can have a huge impact. Then take a top talent at 4 to fit your needs?

Do you trade one of those top picks to the NYG's for OBJ to get a playmaker at WR?

Do you trade down some with that top pick to get more picks and take the best players available at 4 and wherever you dropped down to?

Not needing a QB- I trade down from 1- seeing if I can get the NYG's to bite with OBJ or other teams for more picks. Hopefully Barkley is still there at 4- which he likely is- and grab him there. Browns needs talent and more picks. They have chosen to not draft a QB- so get more picks to upgrade the talent level of the team- especially since your future HOF OL guy just retired.

1) To me I draft Barkley #1. I think he?s a game changer and you don?t want to wait until #4 to try and get him because someone may trade up and steal him.

2) Then I start trading back and getting additional draft pieces. See if I can get rid of the #4 and get a middle round 1 and round 2 pick, probably gonna need an additional 2nd or 3rd for next year too.

3) Draft Calvin Ridley in the middle of the 1st round with the pick you traded back to get. He?s a cornerstone WR and paired with Landry you now have a legitimate 1-2 punch at WR to help Tyrod.

4) Draft Martinas Rankin with either the 33rd or 35th pick in the 2nd round (they have both of those). He?s not a reach there and would be able to play right away. He won?t be Joe Thomas but he?s a solid OT and has done the necessary things to prove that.

5) Draft Mason Rudolph somewhere else in the 2nd round with the other pick from the 33rd or 35th, or if you get an additional 2nd round piece from trading back.

That?s what I would do. Addresses needs, gets them the best player in the draft in Barkley, gets them ridley who is a playmaker instantly, get them a potential replacement for Joe Thomas, and still gets them a QB who I think is underrated. And with Tyrod there he doesn?t have to play right away.

Dallas_Dawg
03-29-2018, 07:01 PM
They are going to grab Darnold or Allen. Tyrod aint the answer. Stop-gap at best

Coach34
03-29-2018, 07:17 PM
They are going to grab Darnold or Allen. Tyrod aint the answer. Stop-gap at best

They have signed 2 FA QB's- if they draft a QB their GM should be fired immediately after the pick

Liverpooldawg
03-29-2018, 07:18 PM

Given their history if I'm the Browns GM I probabaly can't walk and chew gum at the same time. He will probably trade both picks for a 40 year old punter

Dawg61
03-29-2018, 07:23 PM
I'd never trade for Tyrod Taylor or OBJ for starters. I'd draft Barkeley and Bakery Mayfield and I'd offer Megatron what OBJ thinks he deserves to come back.

Coach34
03-29-2018, 07:31 PM
I'd never trade for Tyrod Taylor or OBJ for starters. I'd draft Barkeley and Bakery Mayfield and I'd offer Megatron what OBJ thinks he deserves to come back.

They have signed Tyrod Taylor as a FA- he is their starting QB the next couple of years simply because of the money they invested. They just signed Drew Stanton also to be his back-up. The Browns do not intend to draft a QB

chef dixon
03-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Tank this year and pick Jeffrey Simmons #1 overall next year.

BuckyIsAB****
03-29-2018, 08:28 PM

You dont need a big WR you already have Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry.

You take Barkley first overall (hes the best offensive player in the draft) then take the best D player/OL at 4

somebodyshotmypaw
03-29-2018, 08:37 PM
They have signed Tyrod Taylor as a FA- he is their starting QB the next couple of years simply because of the money they invested. They just signed Drew Stanton also to be his back-up. The Browns do not intend to draft a QB

I believe they do intend to draft a QB

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 08:47 PM
The Browns are definitely taking a QB

Coach34
03-29-2018, 08:47 PM
[/B]

I believe they do intend to draft a QB

Nooooooooo they dont.

They just signed Tyrod Taylor to a 2 year 30.5 Million dollar contract. He is their QB the next 2 years.

And to back him up- they just signed Drew Stanton to a 2 year 6.5MM dolla contract with incentives that could push it to #11MM

What about those 2 moves makes you think they are going to draft a QB early and take up even more cap room with millions on a draft pick? THE BROWNS ARE NOT DRAFTING A QB IN THE 1ST ROUND

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 08:49 PM

It's essentially a 1yr deal much like Mike Glennon with the Bears last year. They could get out of the deal after a year if need be.

Coach34
03-29-2018, 08:49 PM
The Browns are definitely taking a QB

So most teams only have 2 QB's on the active roster each Sunday- you are saying the Browns are going to pay Stanton 3MM plus per season to be inactive every Sunday?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 08:50 PM
So most teams only have 2 QB's on the active roster each Sunday- you are saying the Browns are going to pay Stanton 3MM plus per season to be inactive every Sunday?

I'm telling you the Browns are definitely taking a QB.

Liverpooldawg
03-29-2018, 08:50 PM

They ARE the Browns.

Coach34
03-29-2018, 08:52 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/hue_jackson_tyrod_taylors_the.html

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/hue_jackson_tyrod_taylors_the.html

You didn't say who was starting opening day. You said they weren't taking a QB in the 1st rd. They are.

Coach34
03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
I'm telling you the Browns are definitely taking a QB.

Then they are easily the dumbest franchise ever to have sign Stanton to a $6MM contract to be the back-up QB- he will make more than Dak

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 08:56 PM
Then they are easily the dumbest franchise ever to have sign Stanton to a $6MM contract to be the back-up QB- he will make more than Dak

That QB room won't even be Top 10 as far as yearly salaries in the league for quarterbacks.

Coach34
03-29-2018, 09:03 PM
That QB room won't even be Top 10 as far as yearly salaries in the league for quarterbacks.

Stanton just became the 7th highest back-up in the NFL
Tyrod is 18th in the NFL in salary

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 09:05 PM

I hear what you're saying but their total salary for all 3 QB's will be around $25mil this season. That's pretty much middle of the pack in the NFL. It's not like they're blowing a ton of money with these 3 QB's.

msstate7
03-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Tyrod is 18th in the NFL in salary

Brees makes 7 million more than both of them combined

Coach34
03-29-2018, 09:08 PM
I just dont see a team paying a QB 3MM to be inactive most weeks

sleepy dawg
03-29-2018, 09:09 PM
It's likely going to be a QB according to the article below. I also think he only has a 1 year contract. I think the remaining years are void after this year.

"Jackson named Taylor as the starting quarterback the day he was officially acquired. He said Tuesday that he would like Taylor to start the entire 2018 season and that the Browns want the quarterback they select in the draft to essentially use 2018 as a redshirt year."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/28/browns-coach-bills-had-multiple-offers-for-tyrod-taylor/

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 09:17 PM
It's likely going to be a QB according to the article below. I also think he only has a 1 year contract. I think the remaining years are void after this year.

"Jackson named Taylor as the starting quarterback the day he was officially acquired. He said Tuesday that he would like Taylor to start the entire 2018 season and that the Browns want the quarterback they select in the draft to essentially use 2018 as a redshirt year."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/28/browns-coach-bills-had-multiple-offers-for-tyrod-taylor/

Same plan the Bears used last year. Signed Mike Glennon as a FA he made $18mil last season. Mark Sanchez was signed as the backup made $2mil last year & drafted Trubisky with the 2nd pick.

fader2103
03-29-2018, 09:19 PM
#1 move down but not out of top 10 get a 2nd round, and late round, 2019 pick

4. Fitzpatrick

Top 10- Notre Dame?s OT

Use 2 of your 4 2nd round picks and more if needed to move back into round 1 and get Georgia?s Sony Michel.

2nd round Arden Key and Christian Kirk.

Rest of draft add another Oline, CB and LB.

Coach34
03-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Same plan the Bears used last year. Signed Mike Glennon as a FA he made $18mil last season. Mark Sanchez was signed as the backup made $2mil last year & drafted Trubisky with the 2nd pick.

Bears showed that was a shitty plan

Irondawg
03-29-2018, 09:32 PM
There is no way they aren?t taking a QB with one of those. They brought in TT so they don?t have to throw the rookie in there to get massacred.

No way I try to trade for Beckham because he?s never sign an extension. I would try to get the Giants tongive me something for swapping picks

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2018, 09:33 PM
Bears showed that was a shitty plan

That's a totally different discussion but that's what's going to happen.

jumbo
03-29-2018, 09:34 PM
Vontae Mack no matter what

fader2103
03-29-2018, 09:41 PM
Browns should wait till next year and pick a qb. Eason will be a highly sought out qb and after getting a few weapons on Offense I could see him helping them out as a pro style qb.

BuckyIsAB****
03-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Vontae Mack no matter what

Clever

Liverpooldawg
03-29-2018, 10:03 PM
You guys are assuming even below average choices by a somewhat competent management. You DID preface this by asking about what the BROWNS will do, right 34?

Big4Dawg
03-29-2018, 11:41 PM
Nooooooooo they dont.

They just signed Tyrod Taylor to a 2 year 30.5 Million dollar contract. He is their QB the next 2 years.

And to back him up- they just signed Drew Stanton to a 2 year 6.5MM dolla contract with incentives that could push it to #11MM

What about those 2 moves makes you think they are going to draft a QB early and take up even more cap room with millions on a draft pick? THE BROWNS ARE NOT DRAFTING A QB IN THE 1ST ROUND

I understand the joke shitting on the Browns, but they did this the right way and going to be much improved next year.

Where do start?

1) Yes, they are drafting a QB. I don't know why this is even a question?
2) No, they are not drafting Barkley. They just signed Hyde and trying to resign Duke.
3) They traded for Tyrod. They did not sign him. He has a year left. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/tyrod-taylor-7899/
4) The Browns carried 3 QBs last year: Kizer, Kessler, Hogan.
5) Back up QBs make a lot. Stanton is making $3.25M a year. Chad Henne, who the Chiefs just signed to be their back up, is making $6.7M over 2 years, same as Stanton. This is a typical back-up QB salary.

Bully13
03-30-2018, 08:13 AM
since it Cleveland, I fully expect them to hunt down Johnny Football and give him a 2nd chance. unless he's in jail or re-hab. but with them, maybe that won't even matter.

Political Hack
03-30-2018, 08:23 AM
ID Take the two best players in college football, Barkley and Mayfield. 1 and 4. It’s a reach on Mayfield, but the kid is a gamer and consistently puts up points. I like him more than any other QB in the draft. I think the UCLA kid will be good, but I expect Sammy boy from USC to be a bust. Have just never been that impressed with him. I like Mike Vick II more than I do him.

My QB board
Mayfield
Rosen
Jackson
Darnold

I haven’t seen the Allen kid enough, but I know he was hurt this year and didn’t really sling it around much playing at Wyoming.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-30-2018, 08:25 AM
Nooooooooo they dont.

I think they will draft a QB because:

1. It's the most important position on the field.
2. Tyrod Taylor and Drew Stanton are not what you build a Super Bowl team around.
3. There are 4 highly rated quarterbacks in this draft.
4. Their fans will go nuts if they pass on a QB after they missed Goff, Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Mahomes, etc.
5. Their last time they waited on a QB later in the draft resulted in Deshon Kizer.

I think Tyrod Taylor was brought in so that the new QB could sit and learn and wouldn't be thrown in on day 1. Just my opinion. I THINK they are drafting a QB in the 1st round. You are GUARANTEEING that they won't. We will see what happens.

RiverCityDawg
03-30-2018, 09:40 AM
They need to take Barkley first then if they like any of the top QB?s left at 4 (Mayfield, maybe) then they go QB, otherwise they trade down with someone that wants to take a QB and they can go best available or another need still within the first round. To me, the only way they can screw this up is by taking the wrong QB #1 and losing Barkley. I wouldn?t feel safe taking Darnold or Rosen #1.

Coach34
03-30-2018, 09:43 AM
I just think it’s insane to get Taylor, add a back-up, and then draft a QB with a top 5 pick. They were 0-16 last year- they need talent. Since you already have 2 QB’s and that’s all you can have on your Sunday roster- take 2 position players with those 2 picks to tremendously upgrade other positions. Roll with those 2 QB’s this year and add a no-name as the 3rd guy.

Next year get you a QB

somebodyshotmypaw
03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
I just think it’s insane to get Taylor, add a back-up, and then draft a QB with a top 5 pick. They were 0-16 last year- they need talent. Since you already have 2 QB’s and that’s all you can have on your Sunday roster- take 2 position players with those 2 picks to tremendously upgrade other positions. Roll with those 2 QB’s this year and add a no-name as the 3rd guy.

Next year get you a QB

That's a logical thought. And not a bad idea. I just don't think that is what they will do. Fans want a highly drafted QB.

Now one example they could follow is Jacksonville. They sucked, but stuck with a subpar QB (admittedly he was drafted high). They spent there recent high picks on pass rushers, corners, running back, O-line, etc. They built a team around defense, running game, ball control, etc. And made it to the AFC championship.

Cleveland has a chance to add a lot of young talent.

MetEdDawg
03-30-2018, 10:14 AM
I just think it?s insane to get Taylor, add a back-up, and then draft a QB with a top 5 pick. They were 0-16 last year- they need talent. Since you already have 2 QB?s and that?s all you can have on your Sunday roster- take 2 position players with those 2 picks to tremendously upgrade other positions. Roll with those 2 QB?s this year and add a no-name as the 3rd guy.

Next year get you a QB

I agree. That?s why I think they should get Rudolph in the 2nd round and not get one of the top 4 QBs (Lamar has bust written all over him). Grab Barkley #1, trade the 4th back to the middle of the 1st round and stockpile some picks. Grab a WR, get an OT, and get Rudolph. Let him sit for 2 years to develop him, then he?s potentially a good enough QB to get you to the playoffs because you?ve got the pieces around him to score points.

Ari Gold
03-30-2018, 10:23 AM
You trade the pick . Some team and GM will panic and give them a lot for that pick. 1st round next year , their first round this year and prob another 3rd rounder either this year or next

Odds are if they are hell bent on a QB he will be there at 4.

You aren’t making the playoffs this year anyway , get more talent....

Also with these QBs history says that a couple will flame out and never be productive. And there is no clear cut stud in the bunch ... a couple of GMs are going to look back on this draft in 4 to 5 years and say what the **** was I thinking.

smootness
03-30-2018, 10:29 AM
They’re taking a QB. They could easily trade Taylor or Stanton once the season gets going and injuries happen or a team realizes they are screwed at QB. Won’t get a ton, but it’s not a bad plan at all.

There’s no guarantee on what will be available at QB next year or what it will take to get them. When you have #1 and #4 in a QB-heavy draft, you take a QB.

Big4Dawg
03-30-2018, 11:27 AM
They will 100% draft a QB 1 or 4.

They will be MUCH improved. You guys seriously must not watch the NFL. They were really young on defense and had no QB/WR/RB. They added Taylor, Gordon, Landry, and Hyde.

I would be shocked if they don't win 6 games.

MoreCowbell
03-30-2018, 11:49 AM
I would trade one of the picks for OBJ and pick up Barkley with the other. Taylor is a serviceable QB so with OBJ and Barkley you could be set on that side of the ball for a while. Would sell plenty of tickets too.

Ari Gold
03-30-2018, 12:06 PM
They will 100% draft a QB 1 or 4.

They will be MUCH improved. You guys seriously must not watch the NFL. They were really young on defense and had no QB/WR/RB. They added Taylor, Gordon, Landry, and Hyde.

I would be shocked if they don't win 6 games.

Much improved. I should ****ing hope so
The have won ONE game in 2 years. Of course they will be improved. 6-12 gets 1/2 the coaches in the league fired. But the Browns did keep Hue Jackson 1-31...

parabrave
03-30-2018, 12:28 PM
1.Get Barkley
2. Trade for high picks next year, Simmons
3. get some Ol this year.

bulldawg28
03-30-2018, 01:09 PM
1. Draft Barkley
4. Draft Baker Mayfield

Coach34
03-30-2018, 01:16 PM
1. Draft Barkley
4. Draft Baker Mayfield

this is actually what I would have done had they not signed the back-up QB.

Big4Dawg
03-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Much improved. I should ****ing hope so
The have won ONE game in 2 years. Of course they will be improved. 6-12 gets 1/2 the coaches in the league fired. But the Browns did keep Hue Jackson 1-31...

6-12 gets you fired, yes. because you somehow cheated and played 2 more games than everyone else. But 6-10 does not.

Teams with 7 or less wins last year:
Dolphins - kept coach
Bengals - kept coach
Texans - kept coach
Jets - kept coach
Colts - fired
Browns - kept coach
Raiders - fired
Bronocs - kept coach
redskins - kept coach
giants - fired
packers - kept coach
bears - fired
buccs - kept coach
49ers - kept coach

10/14 kept their coach.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-30-2018, 03:05 PM
6-12 gets you fired, yes. because you somehow cheated and played 2 more games than everyone else. But 6-10 does not.

They must have gone 5-11 and gotten the Wild Card (imagine that). Then they won their first playoff game, and lost their second playoff game. So 6-12 and fire the coach.

Ari Gold
03-30-2018, 03:29 PM

Teams with 7 or less wins last year:
Dolphins - kept coach
Bengals - kept coach
Texans - kept coach
Jets - kept coach
Colts - fired
Browns - kept coach
Raiders - fired
Bronocs - kept coach
redskins - kept coach
giants - fired
packers - kept coach
bears - fired
buccs - kept coach
49ers - kept coach

10/14 kept their coach.

6-10 my bad.. and outside a couple of those teams they all have either sucked for years or have a first year coach.
The Brows have won ONE ****ing game In 2 years so 6 wins will seem like 14 to them .
And of course they are young they have drafted in the top 3 for basically the last decade.

I don’t give a **** if they win 1 or 16. And if you don’t think going 6-10 won’t get you fired or on the hot seat then you don’t watch much NFL.. and the ones that don’t fire coaches for going 6-10 or worse year after year end up like the Browns.

Let one of those teams on that list not win 6 or more this year and see how mant are still Employed.

Ari Gold
03-30-2018, 03:32 PM
They must have gone 5-11 and gotten the Wild Card (imagine that). Then they won their first playoff game, and lost their second playoff game. So 6-12 and fire the coach.

Or be the Lions and go 9-7 2 years in the row and fire your coach..

Political Hack
03-30-2018, 03:46 PM
1. Draft Barkley
4. Draft Baker Mayfield

I took the long winded approach to saying the same thing. Be awesome to get the two best playmakers in college football at the two most important offensive positions to go along with that D.

bulldawg28
03-30-2018, 09:05 PM
I took the long winded approach to saying the same thing. Be awesome to get the two best playmakers in college football at the two most important offensive positions to go along with that D.

If they did this I would become a Brown's fan.

bulldawg28
03-30-2018, 09:09 PM
this is actually what I would have done had they not signed the back-up QB.

If given the opportunity you've got to make this happen. Mayfield would be the backup essentially if drafted. The Brown's had the most salary cap space of any NFL team this offseason. Taking a gamble on a 2-3 million 3rd stringer is nothing. Plus the prices for starting Qb' s is reaching 12+million annually. That's automatically raising the backup prices.

smootness
04-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Remember this?

Political Hack
04-27-2018, 10:18 AM
ID Take the two best players in college football, Barkley and Mayfield. 1 and 4. It?s a reach on Mayfield, but the kid is a gamer and consistently puts up points. I like him more than any other QB in the draft. I think the UCLA kid will be good, but I expect Sammy boy from USC to be a bust. Have just never been that impressed with him. I like Mike Vick II more than I do him.

My QB board
Mayfield
Rosen
Jackson
Darnold

I haven?t seen the Allen kid enough, but I know he was hurt this year and didn?t really sling it around much playing at Wyoming.

I'm putting in my application to be the Brown's new GM. Bulldog28 has agreed to Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel.

bulldawg28
04-27-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm putting in my application to be the Brown's new GM. Bulldog28 has agreed to Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel.

I've gotcha. Let's see if we can trade next year's draft for Barkley...lol. He's a difference maker

Political Hack
04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
I've gotcha. Let's see if we can trade next year's draft for Barkley...lol. He's a difference maker

Let's go Ditka marrying Ricky crazy.

bulldawg28
04-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Let's go Ditka marrying Ricky crazy.

It may take it to bring the Browns back.

bulldawg28
04-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Browns should take Derrius Guice with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

HoopsDawg
04-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Browns should take Derrius Guice with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

That would be strong.

bulldawg28
04-27-2018, 05:24 PM
That would be strong.

The Browns can literally turn their entire organization around this year in the draft and offseason acquisitions. It's theirs for the taking.