PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Lindgren has 2nd TJ

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Lindgren just tweeted he had TJ yesterday. I hate it for the kid. Was hoping he could get back with the Braves this year.

KB21
03-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Dang. These kids are ruining their arms when they are 12 and 13 years old. I was really hoping to have him and Minter as lefties in the bullpen this year.

03-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Lindgren just tweeted he had TJ yesterday. I hate it for the kid. Was hoping he could get back with the Braves this year.
How do you have a second one? Do they re-thread the tendon through the same drill holes?

TStationDawg
03-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Dang. These kids are ruining their arms when they are 12 and 13 years old. I was really hoping to have him and Minter as lefties in the bullpen this year.

I 100% agree with you (see them do it every weekend) but I'm not sure if Jacob didn't do most of his damage in 2013-15. He would have gone from fall ball, to 2014 season, post season, minors, majors....virtually with no arm rest, and throwing that crazy slider and curve as hard as he could all the while....always concerned me for him. I remember seeing the stat on how many innings he had thrown during that time on MLB channel (forgot the actual # now) but at the time I was like "ooooh, that's not good"

03-28-2018, 02:26 PM
How did he ruin his current tendon at 12 and 13? It was put in in 2016, taken from another area of the body

More likely that it's his mechanics

TStationDawg
03-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Good point-maybe tried to come back to early? or the first wasn't a success?

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 02:32 PM
That sucks, I read he was trying to work back slowly but I guess it didn't matter. It isn't like he tried to come back in 9 months or so like some do.

msstate7
03-28-2018, 02:37 PM
That sucks, I read he was trying to work back slowly but I guess it didn't matter. It isn't like he tried to come back in 9 months or so like some do.

Who knows at this point. 2nd TJ could be a career ender

Commercecomet24
03-28-2018, 02:38 PM
How did he ruin his current tendon at 12 and 13? It was put in in 2016, taken from another area of the body

Overuse is a big problem no doubt but bad mechanics is a major culprit. I can watch a kid pitch once and tell you if he's headed for arm trouble. So many of the "coaches" at the youth level have no idea how to teach proper mechanics or teach how to take care of your arm. I've never had a kid that pitched for me all the way through have arm surgery.There's a lot of things that combine to ruin an arm. How many pitches, overuse of breaking ball, bad mechanics, throwing to much when it's cold, not wearing sleeves to keep the arm warm, icing the arm afterwards, off season conditioning programs that promote core strength, I could go on and on. To many "coaches" at the youth level don't take care of all these details and it creates problems later on. Kids health has to come before winning "big tournaments".

KB21
03-28-2018, 02:56 PM

Here's my two part answer.

First, the damage to the initial tendon injury was likely done when he was 12-13 years of age and throwing too many innings and too many junk pitches before his growth plates have ossified.

Second, I think we are on the edge of the information on the long term outcomes from having TJS. We are starting to see more re-injuries.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Overuse is a big problem no doubt but bad mechanics is a major culprit. I can watch a kid pitch once and tell you if he's headed for arm trouble. So many of the "coaches" at the youth level have no idea how to teach proper mechanics or teach how to take care of your arm. I've never had a kid that pitched for me all the way through have arm surgery.There's a lot of things that combine to ruin an arm. How many pitches, overuse of breaking ball, bad mechanics, throwing to much when it's cold, not wearing sleeves to keep the arm warm, icing the arm afterwards, off season conditioning programs that promote core strength, I could go on and on. To many "coaches" at the youth level don't take care of all these details and it creates problems later on. Kids health has to come before winning "big tournaments".

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

03-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Here's my two part answer.

First, the damage to the initial tendon injury was likely done when he was 12-13 years of age and throwing too many innings and too many junk pitches before his growth plates have ossified.

Second, I think we are on the edge of the information on the long term outcomes from having TJS. We are starting to see more re-injuries.
I agree about the initial tendon but from what I understand they disregard the initial one, and thread a new tendon in a figure 8 through the upper and lower arm bones. Thus, the initial tendon would have nothing to do with the new injury, that tendon is long gone

I am not making declarative statements, I am just trying to ask questions based on the minimal knowledge I have

KB21
03-28-2018, 07:21 PM
I agree about the initial tendon but from what I understand they disregard the initial one, and thread a new tendon in a figure 8 through the upper and lower arm bones. Thus, the initial tendon would have nothing to do with the new injury, that tendon is long gone

I am not making declarative statements, I am just trying to ask questions based on the minimal knowledge I have

I got you. I just think as the data comes in, we may start seeing that the surgery isn't a cure all.

Homedawg
03-28-2018, 07:41 PM
I got you. I just think as the data comes in, we may start seeing that the surgery isn't a cure all.

It may not be, but what other options are there that save a career? None I know of. And jL didn't even pitch a season w his new arm. But that's an exception not the rule.

msstate7
03-28-2018, 07:56 PM
Wonder how long before there is a synthetic tendon

03-28-2018, 08:17 PM

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6Oom9DsHM

The mechanics start to become obvious

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2018, 08:52 PM

Naw man - they will use some sort of stem cell tech to grow new ones from your own tissue.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-28-2018, 09:58 PM

It's amazing that the guy they're talking about has such a basic mechanic flaw yet still has the god given ability to sling it 90+ MPH (I presume)

3rdGen
03-28-2018, 10:40 PM

That?s awesome. Thanks for the link. Never seen anything like that. But he clearly makes the point about the flex and stress on the tendons. My son is about to start baseball and I need to do a lot of learning about the right way to do things. I got a buddy who pitched minor league for the White Sox, said he was contemplating opening a pitching clinic in Jackson. Makes you wonder if he knows all this stuff or if he was just lucky enough to not ever have any surgeries.

Todd4State
03-28-2018, 11:23 PM

MLB needs to do a better job of educating coaches on this across the country. I think everyone knows about the pitch counts and things like that but not the mechanics part.

Todd4State
03-28-2018, 11:27 PM
Who knows at this point. 2nd TJ could be a career ender

I've read studies that have indicated that the odds from coming back from a second TJ surgery are much worse than the initial one.

03-29-2018, 09:22 AM
It's amazing that the guy they're talking about has such a basic mechanic flaw yet still has the god given ability to sling it 90+ MPH (I presume)
Actually, I think the technique Koehler was using to was designed to help you throw harder. If anything, Pedro was the one with the natural ability to throw gas from a 5'10" frame with movement.