PDA

View Full Version : Remember when alot of you tried to tell me D. Gray was a top SEC WR?

Coach34
03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
We obviously saw in 2017 that he wasnt but some of you may want to say injuries hurt him.

He ran a 4.65 today at Pro Day. Which was hand held so he would have been closer to 4.7 had he run it at the Combine. This is why Fitz struggled some in the passing game. Our best WR was hardly fast enough to outrun a LB'er.

TrapGame
03-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Add to that two or three crucial drops in every game and it makes it even worse. He killed some good drives dropping balls that hit him right in the hands.

louisvilledawg
03-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Add to that two or three crucial drops in every game and it makes it even worse. He killed some good drives dropping balls that hit him right in the hands.

Two or three drops in every game? GTFO Ray Charles

MetEdDawg
03-28-2018, 02:35 PM
We obviously saw in 2017 that he wasnt but some of you may want to say injuries hurt him.

He ran a 4.65 today at Pro Day. Which was hand held so he would have been closer to 4.7 had he run it at the Combine. This is why Fitz struggled some in the passing game. Our best WR was hardly fast enough to outrun a LB'er.

Wasn’t he supposed to be pretty fast when he came in? Thought he was a 4.5 guy when we got him. Only guys we should ever have that run a 4.65 should either be really tall or a decent amount larger than Donald Gray

TrapGame
03-28-2018, 02:35 PM
Two or three drops in every game? GTFO Ray Charles

Seriously?! Mr. I Got Hands dropped too many g'damn passes he should have caught.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Wasn’t he supposed to be pretty fast when he came in? Thought he was a 4.5 guy when we got him. Only guys we should ever have that run a 4.65 should either be really tall or a decent amount larger than Donald Gray

He was touted as a 4.4 type guy. Honestly, Fitz did fantastic with the lack of speed on the field.

viverlibre
03-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Any thoughts as to whether trashing former and current players hurts us in recruiting? I assume athletes read this board (there are only two active MSU message boards, so former, current and prospective players likely read this).

Do other fans of other schools trash their players? The player is not to blame, he didn't recruit himself and put himself on the field. He suited up, played and took a lot of punishment for our team. He may have not been a good or great player, but he competed and there was likely not a better player behind him.

Gutter Cobreh
03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Any thoughts as to whether trashing former and current players hurts us in recruiting? I assume athletes read this board (there are only two active MSU message boards, so former, current and prospective players likely read this).

Do other fans of other schools trash their players? The player is not to blame, he didn't recruit himself and put himself on the field. He suited up, played and took a lot of punishment for our team. He may have not been a good or great player, but he competed and there was likely not a better player behind him.

Rep. given.

Some of these folks are stuck so far in their self-absorbed head that they can't see the forrest for the trees...

FanninDawg
03-28-2018, 07:24 PM

None of that matters when C34 has a remote chance to say ?I told you so?. His little ego is much more important than any current or former player/coach.

Coach34
03-28-2018, 07:27 PM
None of that matters when C34 has a remote chance to say ?I told you so?. His little ego is much more important than any current or former player/coach.

lmao- little ego??? WTF? You are wayyyyyy off

Coach34
03-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Any thoughts as to whether trashing former and current players hurts us in recruiting?.

No. Whats hurts us in recruiting is when Bama or Auburn sets up a 100K job for the parent or OM gets a job for the parent at the Winchester plant. Our State family doesnt do that on the reg like the rest of the SEC- thats what hurts our recruiting.

FanninDawg
03-28-2018, 07:33 PM
lmao- little ego??? WTF? You are wayyyyyy off

Ok, ok. Huge ego...

parabrave
03-28-2018, 07:58 PM
No. Whats hurts us in recruiting is when Bama or Auburn sets up a 100K job for the parent or OM gets a job for the parent at the Winchester plant. Our State family doesnt do that on the reg like the rest of the SEC- thats what hurts our recruiting.

Now BAMA would never do anything like this, Signed MS Hurts/

Bothrops
03-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Gray bulked up too much and lost flight.

Lord McBuckethead
03-28-2018, 09:39 PM
Gray bulked up too much and lost flight.

I could agree with this. He was still fun to watch returning the ball though.

BuckyIsAB****
03-28-2018, 09:42 PM

Donald Gray had solid hands idk what you talm bout fam

Todd4State
03-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Gray is a slot WR that Dan Mullen insisted on using at outside WR. I think if we had used Gray more in the slot he would have been much more effective because he was shifty and matching him up against a LB or S would have been more advantageous.

TrapGame
03-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Donald Gray had solid hands idk what you talm bout fam

Then I must be losing mind Bucky. I could have sworn D dropped some sweet passes at the absolute worse time. Maybe I've got a film in my head of all the crappy WR play and I'm just lumping all of them together. I'm glad to hear Getsy is a major upgrade over Gonzo.

Todd4State
03-28-2018, 11:20 PM
Then I must be losing mind Bucky. I could have sworn D dropped some sweet passes at the absolute worse time. Maybe I've got a film in my head of all the crappy WR play and I'm just lumping all of them together. I'm glad to hear Getsy is a major upgrade over Gonzo.

The thing I remember about him was a lot of deep balls that went off of his fingertips that he probably catches if he was an inch taller. Our WR's were pretty bad last year. There were some analytics that had the percentage of targets that they caught and it was bad across the board.

Getsy is a major upgrade over Gonzo. He's a WR guru based on some articles I've read about him and his training techniques.

FISHDAWG
03-29-2018, 08:08 AM

thanks and excellent point ... While it's not my intention to be negative it's also not like Fitz was slinging guided missiles and smart bombs either .... I think this year Fitz dials it in a little better

thf24
03-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Gray might not have lived up to his initial billing, but I firmly believe Gonzo was the biggest problem for many of our receivers. Gray and Myles may have been average in all around terms, but they were undoubtedly both very quick and agile, and DB's shouldn't have been able to consistently stick to them like glue like they did. That's a coaching issue, not talent.

biggun
03-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Gray is a slot WR that Dan Mullen insisted on using at outside WR. I think if we had used Gray more in the slot he would have been much more effective because he was shifty and matching him up against a LB or S would have been more advantageous.

This! 110% agree

biggun
03-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Gray might not have lived up to his initial billing, but I firmly believe Gonzo was the biggest problem for many of our receivers. Gray and Myles may have been average in all around terms, but they were undoubtedly both very quick and agile, and DB's shouldn't have been able to consistently stick to them like glue like they did. That's a coaching issue, not talent.

During Myles freshman season in 2014, he looked very quick and very good when he had to step up and start for an injured J Lewis vs A&M. He had a very good to great freshmen season and caught a couple of TD passes early the next season but then the drops and nagging injuries pretty much sunk the rest of his career here. Now, who is to blame is certainly debatable but to peak during your freshmen year is certainly odd.

thf24
03-29-2018, 11:43 AM
During Myles freshman season in 2014, he looked very quick and very good when he had to step up and start for an injured J Lewis vs A&M. He had a very good to great freshmen season and caught a couple of TD passes early the next season but then the drops and nagging injuries pretty much sunk the rest of his career here. Now, who is to blame is certainly debatable but to peak during your freshmen year is certainly odd.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember him being asked to do much more than take handoffs and catch screens and quick slants early in his career. The struggles started when he moved outside and needed to get open and catch passes downfield.

coachnorm
03-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Wasn?t he supposed to be pretty fast when he came in? Thought he was a 4.5 guy when we got him. Only guys we should ever have that run a 4.65 should either be really tall or a decent amount larger than Donald Gray

Most of the 40 times coming out of high school are bogus. I personally believe that probably 80% are. I have worked regional NFL Combines on the West Coast and have timed both high school and college prospects. Thru actually doing it, I have learned that a 4.65 40 time for a high school er is blazing fast. I have stated that when a high school football player claims a sub 4.5 40 time, it reflects badly on him and his high school. Remember, there are NFL receivers that could not break a 4.5 in the combine? Strangely, the same NFL receivers were faster as high school athletes?

msudawglb
03-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Ha, I have to say he?s right. C34 does enjoy posting his I told you so?s. C34?s number one priority is promoting himself and then promoting MSU is a distant second. At least that?s how it appears to this neutral party.

ababyatemydingo
03-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Ha, I have to say he?s right. C34 does enjoy posting his I told you so?s. C34?s number one priority is promoting himself and then promoting MSU is a distant second. At least that?s how it appears to this neutral party.

It?s been that way for many, many years. C34 loves him some c34

Mutt the Hoople
03-30-2018, 04:47 PM

You really think teenagers are going to read a message board with posts from a bunch of middle-aged guys?

Another thing- these players are adults, earning $40,000-50,000 a year getting a free education, along with room, board, and incidentials. In some cases, they're making more money than the fans of their school. If the fans want to dog him, then by all means do it.

viverlibre
03-30-2018, 06:35 PM
You really think teenagers are going to read a message board with posts from a bunch of middle-aged guys?

Another thing- these players are adults, earning $40,000-50,000 a year getting a free education, along with room, board, and incidentials. In some cases, they're making more money than the fans of their school. If the fans want to dog him, then by all means do it.

Oh yeah, I certainly think recruits and players read this board. Even if they don't you can bet someone is reading and letting them know how our fans dog our players. I know at one time Bear's uncle was active on our boards.

Current and former players have little brothers, nephews, cousins, sons, etc, who may one day be a sought after recruit, why risk leaving a bad taste in their mouth?

Coach34
03-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah, I certainly think recruits and players read this board. Even if they don't you can bet someone is reading and letting them know how our fans dog our players. I know at one time Bear's uncle was active on our boards.

Current and former players have little brothers, nephews, cousins, sons, etc, who may one day be a sought after recruit, why risk leaving a bad taste in their mouth?

every message board has criticism of players except Genespage

FanninDawg
03-30-2018, 08:01 PM
every message board has criticism of players except Genespage

?I told you so?, player?s pro day against the clock. That?s pounding a revisionist chest at the expense of a player, does it mean that much to you, are you that small?

Coach34
03-30-2018, 08:21 PM
?I told you so?, player?s pro day against the clock. That?s pounding a revisionist chest at the expense of a player, does it mean that much to you, are you that small?

no- I'm pretty big actually