PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter says we have our new baseball coach

Coach34
03-28-2018, 09:33 AM
@nextlevelbb (https://twitter.com/nextlevelbb)FollowFollow
@nextlevelbb

More

Hearing from incredibly reliable sources that Butch Thompson will be departing Auburn for Mississippi State at seasons end.

No idea if he is legit or anything

Coach34
03-28-2018, 09:33 AM
https://twitter.com/nextlevelbb/status/978849212464066562

msstate7
03-28-2018, 09:35 AM
No way. Joe maddon more likely leaving cubs for us

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
How is Butch on the recruiting front and who would he bring in as far as a hitting coach? He has Auburn doing well this year and he certainly seems to improved them. I would kind of be disappointed unless he makes a lot of noise this year before taking the job.

MetEdDawg
03-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Other than current roster, there isn't anything Auburn has that's better than us in baseball. We have a better stadium, better tradition, more money to offer, more resources to offer. And if in fact Butch decided to come back as HC, it should speak volumes about his confidence in John Cohen as our AD considering he worked for the man for multiple years.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2018, 09:41 AM
I'm calling BS. I'd be pissed if we've hired Butch this quickly in the process. I like the dude and would prefer him to Mingione, but I see both of them as the "if all else fails" candidates. We shouldn't have to give either of them a call. Plus, guys who are reputable like Kendall Rogers are saying we're targeting McDonnell and Schlossnagle. I just don't see us falling that far down our list to Butch so soon.

Coach34
03-28-2018, 09:44 AM
. We shouldn't have to give either of them a call. Plus, guys who are reputable like Kendall Rogers are saying we're targeting McDonnell and Schlossnagle. I just don't see us falling that far down our list to Butch so soon.

Rogers and the other big guy (Fitt) just said a day or two ago they would be surprised if we got either of those 2 guys

Bulldog1
03-28-2018, 09:46 AM
I thought we had Bobby Cox locked up***

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2018, 09:47 AM
I'm calling BS. I'd be pissed if we've hired Butch this quickly in the process. I like the dude and would prefer him to Mingione, but I see both of them as the "if all else fails" candidates. We shouldn't have to give either of them a call. Plus, guys who are reputable like Kendall Rogers are saying we're targeting McDonnell and Schlossnagle. I just don't see us falling that far down our list to Butch so soon.

It's been over a month. I have no doubt that Cohen was targeting top coaches, and they could have said no thanks already via their agents. How long do you think it should take? You never know, Butch might have reached out to us. That is, if any of this is true....

Coach34
03-28-2018, 09:50 AM
It's been over a month. I have no doubt that Cohen was targeting top coaches, and they could have said no thanks already via their agents. How long do you think it should take? You never know, Butch might have reached out to us. That is, if any of this is true....

exactly- Cohen has been working with agents and people for a month. Your big names arent coming to Sville to interview anyway. I could easily see him having a verbal deal in place. This process wont begin when the season ends- we'll be naming a coach the second their season ends if not before

Commercecomet24
03-28-2018, 09:54 AM
exactly- Cohen has been working with agents and people for a month. Your big names arent coming to Sville to interview anyway. I could easily see him having a verbal deal in place. This process wont begin when the season ends- we'll be naming a coach the second their season ends if not before

Exactly. Cohen has his crap wired tight and he has a plan in place, bank on it.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Rogers and the other big guy (Fitt) just said a day or two ago they would be surprised if we got either of those 2 guys

I'm not saying we will or won't get those guys. It's well documented how little college BB coaches move, but the flip side is that big college BB HC jobs don't come open that often, either. I'm in wait and see mode.

I'd be surprised if we're rushing. We've got approximately 3 months or so until the end of the current season. I'd expect Cohen to be very deliberate and methodical with so much time to find a coach. And I'd be shocked if Butch DIDN'T reach out. All accounts from those around him are that he'd love to take our job. But I don't think Cohen is looking to hire Butch. My gut says he'll hire a big name current HC or a young up-and-comer like he did with Cann. Butch doesn't meet either of those. I'd be "ok" with Butch, but I'd be highly underwhelmed if that's the direction we choose to go, especially with 4 months to find someone. We'll have our guy before the season ends, but I don't think it'll leak this early, unless it's a weather balloon to see which way the wind is blowing.

smootness
03-28-2018, 09:59 AM
The good news for any new coach is that we're incredibly well set up right now for future recruiting. Right now PG has our 2018-2020 classes as #2, #5, and #4 nationally. If we can hold on to most of those, that's a great foundation for any new coach.

I'm fine with Butch Thompson. I think it would be a great hire.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Still seems very early to have someone locked up. What happens if Auburn collapses down the stretch? Then we hire a guy who had one winning record as a head coach and never made it past a Regional? At that point, Ming is the better candidate. Butch might have interest and Cohen in him but I doubt this is already set up.

Also, how much are we willing to spend on a head coach? O'Connor at UVA is making around $600k per year, didn't Canny sign for like $775k starting? That is a pretty big jump unless you really love the school and that was Canny not having any head coaching experience. If Cohen is serious then I could see spending $1 Mill on a coach unless we blew it all on the new Dude.

I didn't realize McDonnell is the highest paid coach in the country so we would have to really throw some money to even get him to the table to discuss it.

Coach34
03-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Still seems very early to have someone locked up. What happens if Auburn collapses down the stretch? Then we hire a guy who had one winning record as a head coach and never made it past a Regional? At that point, Ming is the better candidate. Butch might have interest and Cohen in him but I doubt this is already set up.

Cohen knows Butch inside-out. His record this season would have zero effect on if he was hired or not

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Not saying Butch won't be the guy but I can almost guarantee we haven't offered the job to him yet.

msstate7
03-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Not saying Butch won't be the guy but I can almost guarantee we haven't offered the job to him yet.

Butch pulling a Jeremy Pruitt? Lol

shoeless joe
03-28-2018, 10:11 AM
As I've said before, he's a much better hire than most folks think. But this one tweet doesn't have me convinced that a deal is in place.

yjnkdawg
03-28-2018, 10:12 AM
This guy may be correct, but it just doesn't sound like something that Cohen would do at this point in time in the baseball season relevant to a coaching search. Cohen would have more respect for another university's baseball program too. Kendall Rogers hasn't mentioned this, and I would imagine his sources would be better than Next Level Baseball (never even heard of them until now). Butch is still hired by Auburn to win games. How would something like this effect their players, etc.?

Coach34
03-28-2018, 10:25 AM
This guy may be correct, but it just doesn't sound like something that Cohen would do at this point in time in the baseball season relevant to a coaching search. Cohen would have more respect for another university's baseball program too. Kendall Rogers hasn't mentioned this, and I would imagine his sources would be better than Next Level Baseball (never even heard of them until now). Butch is still hired by Auburn to win games. How would something like this effect their players, etc.?

I'm not saying I believe this guy or not- I'm talking hypothetically but here is what COULD be happening:

1. Cohen and Butch talked privately- Cohen tells Butch he wants him to be the guy- Butch agrees to it and they will announce after the season
2. Being a good guy- Butch tells his AD privately that he will be leaving after the season to return to State so the AD wont be blindsided
3. Auburn AD has made a call or two to some agents saying he is checking around "in case" Butch leaves for StarkVegas
4. Somebody putting 2 and 2 together as to who could be State's next HC

OR:

This tweeter doesnt know shit and is just throwing something out there that he heard from somebody else that doesnt know shit

ShotgunDawg
03-28-2018, 10:36 AM
I'm not saying I believe this guy or not- I'm talking hypothetically but here is what COULD be happening:

1. Cohen and Butch talked privately- Cohen tells Butch he wants him to be the guy- Butch agrees to it and they will announce after the season
2. Being a good guy- Butch tells his AD privately that he will be leaving after the season to return to State so the AD wont be blindsided
3. Auburn AD has made a call or two to some agents saying he is checking around "in case" Butch leaves for StarkVegas
4. Somebody putting 2 and 2 together as to who could be State's next HC

OR:

This tweeter doesnt know shit and is just throwing something out there that he heard from somebody else that doesnt know shit

Possibly, I just don't think Cohen would have offered Butch the job yet.

That being said, I think Butch would be a solid, high floor, limited ceiling hire. Possibly like a Dan Mullen for the baseball program.

What Butch does bring though is extremely positive:

- Butch is a good recruiter & evaluator
- He's extremely mature & an adult. He's stable & would bring stability to the program.
- Butch loves MSU & MSU is where he wants to be. We would not have to worry about Butch ever leaving for another job. MSU is his dream job

Doggie_Style
03-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Possibly, I just don't think Cohen would have offered Butch the job yet.

That being said, I think Butch would be a solid, high floor, limited ceiling hire. Possibly like a Dan Mullen for the baseball program.

What Butch does bring though is extremely positive:

- Butch is a good recruiter & evaluator
- He's extremely mature & an adult. He's stable & would bring stability to the program.
- Butch loves MSU & MSU is where he wants to be. We would not have to worry about Butch ever leaving for another job. MSU is his dream job

There is definitely an urgency to get a quality hire on board. My wife talked to the Dad of a recruit in Baton Rouge who has offers from State, Tulane, USM and Oklahoma. His Dad said that they have eliminated State due to the dumpster fire the program has become....we need to get this mess straightened out quick or this is going to look like the Rick Ray years...

Cooterpoot
03-28-2018, 10:47 AM

This^. Butch is probably the guy if we miss on everybody. Butch isn't in a hurry to leave AU and we aren't in a hurry to hire him. But, he'd come if we pushed him and needed him to be the coach. Say what you want, State is his dream spot.

Bully13
03-28-2018, 10:48 AM
doesn't make sense to me this early in the season. if true, and the AU AD thinks it's true, they fire Butch immediately.

smootness
03-28-2018, 10:53 AM
doesn't make sense to me this early in the season. if true, and the AU AD thinks it's true, they fire Butch immediately.

Yeah, they're going to fire their HC midseason in a year in which they're 20-5 and just outside the top 10.

Homedawg
03-28-2018, 10:53 AM

no they wouldn't. They just wouldn't. And I, like most am almost positive there is no deal yet. He's in the hunt though

ShotgunDawg
03-28-2018, 10:56 AM
There is definitely an urgency to get a quality hire on board. My wife talked to the Dad of a recruit in Baton Rouge who has offers from State, Tulane, USM and Oklahoma. His Dad said that they have eliminated State due to the dumpster fire the program has become....we need to get this mess straightened out quick or this is going to look like the Rick Ray years...

Eh, pretty poor decision making process to eliminate your best offer before they hire a new coach.

We simply can't straighten out the mess until after the season unless we hire a guy who currently is not coaching. Surely, intelligent people realize that

Cooterpoot
03-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Didn't take long for Rogers to shoot down that Butch rumor.

StarkVegasSteve
03-28-2018, 10:58 AM
I think most would be happy with Butch, at this point any coach not named McDonnell or Schlossnagle is going to have to hit the ground running to make up for the perceived disappointment of not getting a "Tier A" hire. IMO I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen doesn't value Butch as a "Tier A" hire.

Commercecomet24
03-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Eh, pretty poor decision making process to eliminate your best offer before they hire a new coach.

We simply can't straighten out the mess until after the season unless we hire a guy who currently is not coaching. Surely, intelligent people realize that

Exactly. This is why you're not seeing a mass exodus of our recruits. I've talked to several and Cohen is keeping them in the loop and they understand we are going to make a great hire and he will. Just gotta be patient right now and trust Cohen.

Doggie_Style
03-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Honestly I was surprised to hear that our program is being perceived that way.....but it was straight from the horses mouth.

MarketingBully
03-28-2018, 11:03 AM
I’d be good with Butch. He’s the “safe” hire and someone Cohen trusts. He’s done wonders with a very shitty shitty Auburn program. Imo, he’s done a better job with that program then Pearl has done with their basketball program. Both of those programs are equally shit historically in the SEC.

MarketingBully
03-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Honestly I was surprised to hear that our program is being perceived that way.....but it was straight from the horses mouth.

When your coach is fired for cause for what he was fired for dumpster fire does come to mind.

Doggie_Style
03-28-2018, 11:25 AM
When your coach is fired for cause for what he was fired for dumpster fire does come to mind.

.....when you are 13-13, 1-5 SEC what do you call that?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2018, 11:25 AM

I would be pissed too considering the list put out on 247. BT would be one of my last choices from that list.

Bulldog1
03-28-2018, 11:29 AM
I would be pissed too considering the list put out on 247. BT would be one of my last choices from that list.

Did they have any on there other than the names being thrown around here?

dawgs
03-28-2018, 11:44 AM

No big time coach is going to seriously consider an unofficial offer with 3 months to go to the CWS finale. If we settled on butch in March before giving bigger, better names a chance to turn us down after the season, then Cohen ****ed it up. Shit, I would question butch?s professionalism if he?s unofficially accepting a new gig with 2 months left in the regular season and 3 months left before the natty.

Butch will be there if everyone else falls through. You don’t go with your fall back plan 2 months before the end of the regular season and 3 months before the end of the CWS.

dawgs
03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

According to this thread, HCs don’t move around anyway, so whoever we hire wouldn’t be looking around.

Bully13
03-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Man. I just read Thompson's bio. I want this guy.

Homedawg
03-28-2018, 12:16 PM
Man. I just read Thompson's bio. I want this guy.

you needed to read his bio to know who he was???? wth????

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Anybody who would not be happy to have butch Thompson as head coach has not been watching what he's doing at auburn.

BeastMan
03-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Underwhelming

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 12:34 PM
No big time coach is going to seriously consider an unofficial offer with 3 months to go to the CWS finale. If we settled on butch in March before giving bigger, better names a chance to turn us down after the season, then Cohen ****ed it up. Shit, I would question butch?s professionalism if he?s unofficially accepting a new gig with 2 months left in the regular season and 3 months left before the natty.

Butch will be there if everyone else falls through. You don?t go with your fall back plan 2 months before the end of the regular season and 3 months before the end of the CWS.

Good grief.

msbulldog
03-28-2018, 12:44 PM

Yes.

dawgs
03-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Good grief.

This isn’t like Mullen in contact with Tennessee and Florida before the egg bowl when we had no chance of playing for a national title. McDonell, Schlossnagle, etc., even butch, aren’t gonna be taking jobs 2 weeks into conference play with teams capable of making CWS runs.

But yes, butch should be our safety choice. I don’t think he’s a bad hire, just a low ceiling hire.

Bulldog1
03-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Yes.

From what they say- is any of them above Butch on the scale, but below the big dogs, or is Butch the best one on the list not named McDonnel, Schlossnagle, Tadlock, etc?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2018, 02:19 PM

B.Bohannon
Rob Childress
Matt Deggs
Jay Johnson
Dan McConnell
N.Mingione
Jim Scholossnagle
Tim Tadlock

basedog
03-28-2018, 02:41 PM
I do know who the future recruits want. They are talking to each other.

KB21
03-28-2018, 02:46 PM
The Next Level Baseball guy is a former pro scout who runs his own travel team now, so he probably does have some connections. Whether he has actually heard this or not, I don't know.

Commercecomet24
03-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Yep.

KB21
03-28-2018, 02:49 PM
This isn’t like Mullen in contact with Tennessee and Florida before the egg bowl when we had no chance of playing for a national title. McDonell, Schlossnagle, etc., even butch, aren’t gonna be taking jobs 2 weeks into conference play with teams capable of making CWS runs.

But yes, butch should be our safety choice. I don’t think he’s a bad hire, just a low ceiling hire.

Why is there this impression that Butch is a low ceiling hire? Is anyone actually watching and seeing what he has done at Auburn this year?

TNDawg35
03-28-2018, 02:53 PM

Who do they want?

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Why is there this impression that Butch is a low ceiling hire? Is anyone actually watching and seeing what he has done at Auburn this year?

THIS

Cooterpoot

Losing 2 out of 3 to Minge last week?

Bully13

can't spill it?

TNDawg35
03-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Losing 2 out of 3 to Minge last week?

Butch is doing more with the talent he has. I don't know why people can't see this. Ming came in and had a stacked line up. That's why he did well last yr. The guys Ming is winning with us Gary Hendersons recruits. KY was not in a bad place when Hendo got fired. They were just tired of his shit just like some of us are with the line ups he makes and some of the decisions he makes. For AU to even be competing with Kay is dang good for Butch.
Now I'm not saying I want Butch. I want us to go throw a blank check at Schnologal(so), or McDonald. Then if no one wants it, then take abutch. We could do far worse, but also far better.

basedog
03-28-2018, 03:05 PM
can't spill it?

Well, regardless who they want there will be a fall out with ED posters, not all but some. I can tell you I was a little surprised as this Coach wasn't may first chose but the players know way more than ED posters. I did ask why "they" like this Coach so much. The response was he cares about the players, very likeable players coach! I do have a very good source which I want tell at the moment, he knows and we talk. I'm gonna ask if "they" have asked about the HC job at Msu.

Believe me I know who the future class wants as they chat talk daily!

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 03:09 PM
I will say that I trust Cohen more than anyone else making this decision. Canny was a Grand Slam in year 1. Cohen couldn't exactly suspect that the guy would get mesmerized by the poon and quit doing his job. Canny in one short year, took us to a Super Regional and set us up with top 5 classes for the next 3 years.

Cohen might do more homework on if guys lean toward Joey Freshwater status in the future. If Cohen believes that Butch is the man then I will trust that he is the right call.

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Well, regardless who they want there will be a fall out with ED posters, not all but some. I can tell you I was a little surprised as this Coach wasn't may first chose but the players know way more than ED posters. I did ask why "they" like this Coach so much. The response was he cares about the players, very likeable players coach! I do have a very good source which I want tell at the moment, he knows and we talk. I'm gonna ask if "they" have asked about the HC job at Msu.

Believe me I know who the future class wants as they chat talk daily!

A lot of recruits want henderson.

Cooterpoot
03-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Butch is doing more with the talent he has. I don't know why people can't see this. Ming came in and had a stacked line up. That's why he did well last yr. The guys Ming is winning with us Gary Hendersons recruits. KY was not in a bad place when Hendo got fired. They were just tired of his shit just like some of us are with the line ups he makes and some of the decisions he makes. For AU to even be competing with Kay is dang good for Butch.
Now I'm not saying I want Butch. I want us to go throw a blank check at Schnologal(so), or McDonald. Then if no one wants it, then take abutch. We could do far worse, but also far better.

He's got about 6 jucos leaving after this year. He loaded up on jucos. Lets see how he sustains a program and builds it. I prefer someone with more HC experience.

Cooterpoot
03-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Screw that. Talk about fans losing it. Cohen would get killed over that.

Bulldog1
03-28-2018, 03:20 PM

That’s terrible

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Screw that. Talk about fans losing it. Cohen would get killed over that.

Agree completely

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Cliff Godwin is gonna make someone a great coach very soon.

Bulldog1
03-28-2018, 03:42 PM
B.Bohannon
Rob Childress
Matt Deggs
Jay Johnson
Dan McConnell
N.Mingione
Jim Scholossnagle
Tim Tadlock

Thanks.

ScottH
03-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Cliff Godwin is gonna make someone a great coach very soon.

Very soon.

The Federalist Engineer
03-28-2018, 04:11 PM
@nextlevelbb (https://twitter.com/nextlevelbb)FollowFollow
@nextlevelbb

More

Hearing from incredibly reliable sources that Butch Thompson will be departing Auburn for Mississippi State at seasons end.

No idea if he is legit or anything

Does not seem legit, just a dude with a twitter account

RocketDawg
03-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Does not seem legit, just a dude with a twitter account

Didn't Cohen say he was going to wait on the college baseball season to be over before announcing a new coach? Of course, presumably he's doing a lot of work in the background.

The new stadium really needs a good product on the field.

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Let me also say that butch Thompson is one of the best recruiters around... croots we are on are crazy about him.

TNDawg35
03-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Let me also say that butch Thompson is one of the best recruiters around... croots we are on are crazy about him.

I may be mistaken, but wasn't Casey Mize committed to us and then followed Butch to AU?

Coach34
03-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Didn't Cohen say he was going to wait on the college baseball season to be over before announcing a new coach? Of course, presumably he's doing a lot of work in the background.

The new stadium really needs a good product on the field.

A) announced after the season? Yep. Could it leak out before then? Absolutely

B) No matter who the new coach ends up being- its going to take another year or two to get some more talent on campus to improve

Coursesuper
03-28-2018, 04:50 PM

B) No matter who the new coach ends up being- its going to take another year or two to get some more talent on campus to improve

Bing fvcking go!

Bothrops
03-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Good coach, but I dont think he would be the type of recruiter we desperately need.

basedog
03-28-2018, 05:29 PM
Good coach, but I dont think he would be the type of recruiter we desperately need.

How would you know or do you know, just asking? I'm just gonna say again what ED wants is one thing, what Cohen, players, and even recruits what may or could be a whole different things.

I'm going sit and enjoy this thing, I do think Cohen will make a good pick regardless what I think and most on ED think?

I am kinda amazed and a little surprised about what I'm hearing, I have a slightly different view now. I do have a decent view anyway if you know what I mean.

Bully13
03-28-2018, 05:36 PM

are you talking about Butch?

Bully13
03-28-2018, 05:37 PM
How would you know or do you know, just asking? I'm just gonna say again what ED wants is one thing, what Cohen, players, and even recruits what may or could be a whole different things.

I'm going sit and enjoy this thing, I do think Cohen will make a good pick regardless what I think and most on ED think?

I am kinda amazed and a little surprised about what I'm hearing, I have a slightly different view now. I do have a decent view anyway if you know what I mean.

are you not allowed to tell us what you are hearing?

basedog
03-28-2018, 06:07 PM
are you not allowed to tell us what you are hearing?

I'd rather hold off, I do have an interest, let me give you a hint, he is a HC, he does know a lot about Msu, he is a good recruiter better than what I though actually, he is a pitching coach, he has ties to the SEC from more than one SEC program.

Who this Coach is may not get the job nor want it, but I do know commits and recruits talk about him and hope he gets the job.

Todd4State
03-28-2018, 06:14 PM
The biggest thing I want is a coach that has MLB scouting ties or at the very least assistants that have those. That's what is going to get us where we want to go.

Personally, I'd rather have Brad Bohannon than Butch if we go off of the Cohen tree.

dawgs
03-28-2018, 06:17 PM

I’m sick of hearing we need more time to get talent on campus. we had to wait for Cohen to build up. Now we get to wait for whoever to build up again. We shouldn’t have these big lulls. Not with the commitment to the program we have. Football is a development program for us, baseball should not be. Go get a coach who will turn us into a top 20-25/fringe regional host discussion type team in “down” years and a national seed and national title contender in peak years. There’s literally no excuse why we can’t have a program with that kinda consistency. Sure 1 or 2 bad years happen, but we have far too many bad years mixed in over the last 15 years. Meanwhile Nichols st beats our ass midweek. Pisses me off, demand better. We have put too much into the program to accept anything less.

Turfdawg67
03-28-2018, 06:22 PM
I'd rather hold off, I do have an interest, let me give you a hint, he is a HC, he does know a lot about Msu, he is a good recruiter better than what I though actually, he is a pitching coach, he has ties to the SEC from more than one SEC program.

Who this Coach is may not get the job nor want it, but I do know commits and recruits talk about him and hope he gets the job.

McMahon II?? ***

Doggie_Style
03-28-2018, 06:24 PM
I’m sick of hearing we need more time to get talent on campus. we had to wait for Cohen to build up. Now we get to wait for whoever to build up again. We shouldn’t have these big lulls. Not with the commitment to the program we have. Football is a development program for us, baseball should not be. Go get a coach who will turn us into a top 20-25/fringe regional host discussion type team in “down” years and a national seed and national title contender in peak years. There’s literally no excuse why we can’t have a program with that kinda consistency. Sure 1 or 2 bad years happen, but we have far too many bad years mixed in over the last 15 years. Meanwhile Nichols st beats our ass midweek. Pisses me off, demand better. We have put too much into the program to accept anything less.

Not to be Captain Obvious but Cann was a disaster hire....let’s hope Cohen gets it right

basedog
03-28-2018, 06:40 PM
McMahon II?? ***

+1 and LMBO!

I will say I really liked Pat, but RP was a major problem for Pat. Looked over his shoulder and just wouldn't let the program go and getting in the way. Never could blame Pat for leaving, I think he was good Coach and left alone would have done really good things at Msu.

preachermatt83
03-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Great post.

Bully13
03-28-2018, 06:46 PM

LOL Base. you might as well have spelled his name . thanks man.

basedog
03-28-2018, 07:02 PM
LOL Base. you might as well have spelled his name . thanks man.

Does that mean I'm Elite now? Where the hell is my rep points, I mean am I not worthy? LOL!

In the future hopefully I will be able to say more about recruiting and future Dawgs! Maybe in the future I might not be able to read ED, I'm getting to old to really kick someone's ass like I use too!

Gutter Cobreh
03-28-2018, 07:17 PM

I knew there was a reason Polk finally came to a game a couple weeks ago... he was interviewing with Cohen and will be making his return to coaching. Here is hoping the 3rd time is the charm...***

basedog
03-28-2018, 07:24 PM
I knew there was a reason Polk finally came to a game a couple weeks ago... he was interviewing with Cohen and will be making his return to coaching. Here is hoping the 3rd time is the charm...***

Another +1

Coursesuper
03-28-2018, 07:36 PM
+1 and LMBO!

I will say I really liked Pat, but RP was a major problem for Pat. Looked over his shoulder and just wouldn't let the program go and getting in the way. Never could blame Pat for leaving, I think he was good Coach and left alone would have done really good things at Msu.

As someone who know him well you couldn?t be more wrong. Mac made a major 17 up and he knows exactly what it was RP had nothing to do with it and nothing to do with him going to Fla.u

basedog
03-28-2018, 07:44 PM
As someone who know him well you couldn?t be more wrong. Mac made a major 17 up and he knows exactly what it was RP had nothing to do with it and nothing to do with him going to Fla.u

Interesting, clue me in.

Coach34
03-28-2018, 08:01 PM

Unfortunately- baseball recruiting is the hardest of the Big 3. Recruits in baseball these days are committing earlier and getting locked in with coaches. Then you add in that by the end of the season- nearly all of the decent recruits are signed with programs. So anybody we hire- gets nothing to add recruiting-wise for the 2019 season. Our new coach coaches his 1st season with a completely inherited roster. So now he starts recruiting- and so many recruits are already committed to other programs- he has to get the best of the rest. So its going to be until 2020 until our new coach starts getting his recruits into the program and on the field. Cann was really awesome on the recruiting trial- and you see the minimal impact his guys have had this year paired with Cohen's leftovers.

No matter who we hire- its going to be a rebuild

Homedawg
03-28-2018, 08:34 PM
Not to be Captain Obvious but Cann was a disaster hire....let’s hope Cohen gets it right

The end result was a disaster. But it wasn't a bad hire.

Bully13
03-28-2018, 09:00 PM

are we talking about the author who lives in VA?

The Federalist Engineer
03-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately- baseball recruiting is the hardest of the Big 3. Recruits in baseball these days are committing earlier and getting locked in with coaches.

Are you saying that these 3 recruiting classes are basically going to disappear, almost regardless of coach we hire?

In that case. We better sell the new stadium for scrap metal and crushed aggregate material.

This seems like the baseball program got an NCAA death penalty

Coach34
03-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Are you saying that these 3 recruiting classes are basically going to disappear, almost regardless of coach we hire?

In that case. We better sell the new stadium for scrap metal and crushed aggregate material.

This seems like the baseball program got an NCAA death penalty

Holding these next 3 recruiting classes together will be very difficult

Gutter Cobreh
03-28-2018, 09:45 PM
The end result was a disaster. But it wasn't a bad hire.

His tenure lasted roughly 14 months, so however you want to slice it - Cann was a bad hire. It’s not even debatable.

Todd4State
03-28-2018, 10:07 PM
Holding these next 3 recruiting classes together will be very difficult

Inevitably some are going to go pro. That was never going to change. The fact that we haven't had any de-commits tells me that recruits are going to wait and see who the new coach is at least.

maroonmania
03-28-2018, 10:26 PM
are we talking about the author who lives in VA?

Assuming that was it, where PM totally torked off Grisham and now all his money goes to UVA. Still hard to believe Mac would have been that stupid.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2018, 08:44 AM
His tenure lasted roughly 14 months, so however you want to slice it - Cann was a bad hire. It’s not even debatable.

If Canny doesn't become a dumbass chasing the poon then he is a great hire. Setting up top 5 recruiting classes and in his first year getting to a Super isn't a bad hire. I would guess there isn't anyone that expected Canny to do what he did.

Was Richard Williams a bad hire also since he "retired" for something worse? What would be the time limit on deciding that?

The Federalist Engineer
03-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Assuming that was it, where PM totally torked off Grisham and now all his money goes to UVA. Still hard to believe Mac would have been that stupid.

So, the Grisham story that I have understood is that John’s son Ty Grisham wanted to play for MSU in around the 2000-2001 season. The kid was not a great prospect and McMahon did not want to entertain Ty even as a walk-on candidate. Maybe it was more, maybe Grisham wanted Ty on the 35 man-roster.

This made John Grisham very sour with MSU. At the same time, the moribund baseball program at UVA is willing to have Ty on the team. UVA in 2000 almost did not have any program, so why not have Ty on the team.

They accepted Ty as both a walk-on and into the 35-man-roster. In his 4 years at UVA, Ty got 12 at-bats in mop-up duty. Ty is very proud of being a pity case player and has “ball player” status listed in his on-line bio. In fairness to MSU it should read, “my dad paid for me to be a make-believe baseball player in college.”

In gratitude for Ty being on the team. John Grisham gave $3M dollars for a UVA stadium project and injected new life into the UVA program. Ty left UVA baseball in 2003 and Brian O’Conner came to town in 2004. The rest is history.

The punch-line is that Pat McMahan and MSU should have given “Fredo” Grisham a break, it would have kept a very influential alumnus happy.

Todd4State
03-29-2018, 09:33 AM
So, the Grisham story that I have understood is that John’s son Ty Grisham wanted to play for MSU in around the 2000-2001 season. The kid was not a great prospect and McMahon did not want to entertain Ty even as a walk-on candidate. Maybe it was more, maybe Grisham wanted Ty on the 35 man-roster.

This made John Grisham very sour with MSU. At the same time, the moribund baseball program at UVA is willing to have Ty on the team. UVA in 2000 almost did not have any program, so why not have Ty on the team.

They accepted Ty as both a walk-on and into the 35-man-roster. In his 4 years at UVA, Ty got 12 at-bats in mop-up duty. Ty is very proud of being a pity case player and has “ball player” status listed in his on-line bio. In fairness to MSU it should read, “my dad paid for me to be a make-believe baseball player in college.”

In gratitude for Ty being on the team. John Grisham gave $3M dollars for a UVA stadium project and injected new life into the UVA program. Ty left UVA baseball in 2003 and Brian O’Conner came to town in 2004. The rest is history.

The punch-line is that Pat McMahan and MSU should have given “Fredo” Grisham a break, it would have kept a very influential alumnus happy.

Even worse there was no 35 man limit at that time.

Bully13
03-29-2018, 09:34 AM

especially since he was willing to walk on. I don't know why I remember Grisham's son ending up being a good player for UVA. thanks for clearing that part up for me.

Bully13
03-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Does that mean I'm Elite now? Where the hell is my rep points, I mean am I not worthy? LOL!

In the future hopefully I will be able to say more about recruiting and future Dawgs! Maybe in the future I might not be able to read ED, I'm getting to old to really kick someone's ass like I use too!

sorry base, I've never figured out how to give rep points. I guess there's instructions somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and give you one. well deserved sir.

Bulldog1
03-29-2018, 09:54 AM
sorry base, I've never figured out how to give rep points. I guess there's instructions somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and give you one. well deserved sir.

The little star by the triangle. If that helps any

sleepy dawg
03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
How is Butch on the recruiting front and who would he bring in as far as a hitting coach? He has Auburn doing well this year and he certainly seems to improved them. I would kind of be disappointed unless he makes a lot of noise this year before taking the job.

"Seems" to have the improved? He has very obviously improved them. To me baseball is the SEC's best sport, and Auburn has been one of the worst teams in the conference many years. Now they're sitting a #4 in RPI in just his 3nd season there. That's about as obvious as an improvement of a team as you can get to me.

Bully13
03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
The little star by the triangle. If that helps any

where is the triangle?

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 11:13 AM
where is the triangle?

Bottom left side of each post

MedDawg
So, the Grisham story that I have understood is that John?s son Ty Grisham wanted to play for MSU in around the 2000-2001 season. The kid was not a great prospect and McMahon did not want to entertain Ty even as a walk-on candidate. Maybe it was more, maybe Grisham wanted Ty on the 35 man-roster.

They accepted Ty as both a walk-on and into the 35-man-roster. In his 4 years at UVA, Ty got 12 at-bats in mop-up duty. Ty is very proud of being a pity case player and has ?ball player? status listed in his on-line bio. In fairness to MSU it should read, ?my dad paid for me to be a make-believe baseball player in college.?

In gratitude for Ty being on the team. John Grisham gave $3M dollars for a UVA stadium project and injected new life into the UVA program. Ty left UVA baseball in 2003 and Brian O?Conner came to town in 2004. The rest is history.

The punch-line is that Pat McMahan and MSU should have given ?Fredo? Grisham a break, it would have kept a very influential alumnus happy.

I agree not taking Grisham's son was a mistake-Grisham was a huge MSU baseball fan and a celebrity author. However, in 2003, even 3 million dollars would not have improved MSU's baseball team over the next several years.

basedog
where is the triangle?

Thanks Bully, no need as I promise my ego has long gone in the past, I actually don't have an agenda but maybe I should get one to help folks click the ads****

P.S. I think I should do a "My Thoughts"****

preachermatt83
"Seems" to have the improved? He has very obviously improved them. To me baseball is the SEC's best sport, and Auburn has been one of the worst teams in the conference many years. Now they're sitting a #4 in RPI in just his 3nd season there. That's about as obvious as an improvement of a team as you can get to me.

Truth

Cooterpoot
03-29-2018, 11:16 AM

He finished 4th and 6th in the west his first couple years. Can he do more? He's .500 (early) in the SEC after Minge took him down last week. Of course, I can remember when AU wasn't terrible in baseball. You guys act like Hal Baird wasn't a good coach.

Bully13
03-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Bottom left side of each post

thanks Preach. Laughing my ass off. I noticed everyone here has a star but me. I only have the triangle to report my "detrimental" posts. I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

Cooterpoot
03-29-2018, 11:22 AM
thanks Preach. Laughing my ass off. I noticed everyone here has a star but me. I only have the triangle to report my "detrimental" posts. I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

That's how they identify Rebs.**
You click on that sheriff badge below the poster's name you want to give rep, not yours. Hope that helps.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2018, 11:36 AM

They are playing well this year but I am still gun shy about proclaiming a great season before SEC play starts. Polk got us to #1 in the country before we completely collapsed and he retired again.

Auburn has only had 2 losing seasons in the last 30 years, one of them was Butch's first year. They have been hovering around .500 with some really good stretches although they haven't made it to Omaha since 1997. Auburn isn't Vandy in football.

If Cohen hires Butch then I trust Cohen. I just would rather see more from Butch than 1/2 of a good year.

Cooterpoot
03-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Butch's first 2 years: 60-58, 24-36
Sonny Galloway's (previous coach): 62-50, 23-37

So you believe Butch has them doing something great you say?

The Federalist Engineer
03-29-2018, 12:11 PM
I agree not taking Grisham's son was a mistake-Grisham was a huge MSU baseball fan and a celebrity author. However, in 2003, even 3 million dollars would not have improved MSU's baseball team over the next several years.

Empires fall through a series of mistakes rather than a single mistake. To me it’s another thing that has led us to our current status. If it weren’t for foglesong and Byrne we would be in year 10 of Tommy Raffo’s regime

Probably averaging 9-to-12 SEC wins per year with 250 people as average attendance

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Butch's first 2 years: 60-58, 24-36
Sonny Galloway's (previous coach): 62-50, 23-37

So you believe Butch has them doing something great you say?

Smh. He's won 23 in first year, 37 in second year, and on pace for atleast 40 this year. Yea I'd say he's doing great there. Some of you just take crap from anywhere to try to prove an invalid point.

Cooterpoot
03-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Smh. He's won 23 in first year, 37 in second year, and on pace for atleast 40 this year. Yea I'd say he's doing great there. Some of you just take crap from anywhere to try to prove an invalid point.

And the previous coach won 28 and then 36. Who knows where he would've been his 3rd year....I'm just saying what Butch has done at AU isn't special.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2018, 01:48 PM

That is still a very small sample size that isn't even complete. If you don't know of his connection to Cohen then there would be a full blown meltdown if a coach got our job with those records. Butch took over a team who won 36 games the previous year and then won 23. He then improved them back to where they were and now has started really well. I don't think it is stretching to make a point that he would be a big step down from other names that have been thrown around.

A lot of people didn't like the Canny hire because he didn't have the head coaching experience even though he was an awesome recruiter and hitting coach with MLB ties. Cohen saw something in him and made a great hire at the time. Butch might win a Natty this year or he could flame out in SEC play and barely sneak into a Regional. It is still too early to tell. One thing I do know is Cohen is going to make a good to great hire and hopefully the next guy makes decisions with his big head.

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 01:57 PM
That is still a very small sample size that isn't even complete. If you don't know of his connection to Cohen then there would be a full blown meltdown if a coach got our job with those records. Butch took over a team who won 36 games the previous year and then won 23. He then improved them back to where they were and now has started really well. I don't think it is stretching to make a point that he would be a big step down from other names that have been thrown around.

A lot of people didn't like the Canny hire because he didn't have the head coaching experience even though he was an awesome recruiter and hitting coach with MLB ties. Cohen saw something in him and made a great hire at the time. Butch might win a Natty this year or he could flame out in SEC play and barely sneak into a Regional. It is still too early to tell. One thing I do know is Cohen is going to make a good to great hire and hopefully the next guy makes decisions with his big head.

I can tell you for fact that if we want to keep our recruiting classes in tact then butch is who we better hire. Had I rather have McDonnell... of course but you can rest assured that the only way we hire anybody is after Him, Schlosnagle, and Corbin have said no... so if butch is plan b I'd say that's a heck of a plan b.

Todd4State
03-29-2018, 02:45 PM
I can tell you for fact that if we want to keep our recruiting classes in tact then butch is who we better hire. Had I rather have McDonnell... of course but you can rest assured that the only way we hire anybody is after Him, Schlosnagle, and Corbin have said no... so if butch is plan b I'd say that's a heck of a plan b.

If we hire an elite guy that isn't named Butch we are still going to bring in elite players.

dawgs
03-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately- baseball recruiting is the hardest of the Big 3. Recruits in baseball these days are committing earlier and getting locked in with coaches. Then you add in that by the end of the season- nearly all of the decent recruits are signed with programs. So anybody we hire- gets nothing to add recruiting-wise for the 2019 season. Our new coach coaches his 1st season with a completely inherited roster. So now he starts recruiting- and so many recruits are already committed to other programs- he has to get the best of the rest. So its going to be until 2020 until our new coach starts getting his recruits into the program and on the field. Cann was really awesome on the recruiting trial- and you see the minimal impact his guys have had this year paired with Cohen's leftovers.

More reason to hand a blank check to the best coach we can identify who isn?t 60+ years old. It?s embarrassing to build the best stadium in the country and we can?t even make a regional for the first 3 seasons. Go get someone so that when 2020 rolls around we at least know should build a winner that won?t need another rebuild in 2 years, which is the rollercoaster we?ve been on for the last 15-20 years. If we gamble on an assistant or a guy without much track record, then we may set the program back a decade and by the time we find the right coach and let him spend 3 years building a program, we will no longer have the new dude to sell and probably be bypassed by a half dozen new stadiums built in the interim.

dawgs
03-29-2018, 05:01 PM

If we hire a McDonnell, Corbin, or Schlossnagle level coach, we don?t have to worry about a mass exodus of recruits. Maybe a couple head elsewhere, but they are probably replaced by high level recruits who were interested in the coach?s previous program, so it ends up being basically a wash, plus we have a more proven HC and if we can start winning again quickly, guys committed 2-3 years out are less likely to bail now because they see the program is heading back in the right direction.

preachermatt83
03-29-2018, 05:23 PM
If we hire a McDonnell, Corbin, or Schlossnagle level coach, we don?t have to worry about a mass exodus of recruits. Maybe a couple head elsewhere, but they are probably replaced by high level recruits who were interested in the coach?s previous program, so it ends up being basically a wash, plus we have a more proven HC and if we can start winning again quickly, guys committed 2-3 years out are less likely to bail now because they see the program is heading back in the right direction.

Do you not think Cohen would hire any of those 3 if he could? We are working under the assumption that Cohen gauged their interest and there was not much interest. That is if we end up hiring butch... we may hire one of those guys, but my point is if we hire butch it's bc those guys said no... and butch is one heck of a back up plan.

Bully13
03-29-2018, 05:32 PM
That's how they identify Rebs.**
You click on that sheriff badge below the poster's name you want to give rep, not yours. Hope that helps.

So you are saying I'm not being singled out? This is just so we can't rep ourselves? Damn.

confucius say
03-29-2018, 06:09 PM
And the previous coach won 28 and then 36. Who knows where he would've been his 3rd year....I'm just saying what Butch has done at AU isn't special.

Galloway?s firing had nothing to do with the on field product. He was a winning coach too

Cooterpoot
03-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Galloway?s firing had nothing to do with the on field product. He was a winning coach too

I know that. But what is Butch doing that he didn’t? Nothing yet. People claiming Butch turned them around blah blah blah are full of crap.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2018, 06:27 PM
Do you not think Cohen would hire any of those 3 if he could? We are working under the assumption that Cohen gauged their interest and there was not much interest. That is if we end up hiring butch... we may hire one of those guys, but my point is if we hire butch it's bc those guys said no... and butch is one heck of a back up plan.

Butch is probably a good back up plan or if Cohen thinks he is the right guy then I am all for him. Saying McDonnell is probably like Texas coming after Saban. You might try but it probably isn't happening.

dawgs
03-30-2018, 02:50 AM

Making a decision in March when the season ends at the end of June would be dumb on cohen’s part. I don’t care if you put out feelers now and they say they aren’t interested, you wait until they are out of the postseason and ask again. Most guys would probably say no they aren’t interested in march when they have almost 3 months left before they hope to play for a natty. So if Cohen has made an unofficial offer, he did it wrong.

Dawgface
03-30-2018, 08:18 AM
Thompson may have given an indication that he would be interested in talking about the job after season end and the other top 2-3 candidates gave a negative response, but I can't believe Cohen has his man at this point. I have to believe Cohen is still going sifting through other possibilities. At least I want to believe that. I'm not necessarily against Thompson btw......

confucius say
03-30-2018, 09:46 AM
I know that. But what is Butch doing that he didn’t? Nothing yet. People claiming Butch turned them around blah blah blah are full of crap.

My point is Galloway and butch are both good coaches. Just bc Galloway was on his way to winning there does not make butch?s winning there unimpressive.

That said, I would aim higher than butch. If C34 is right that we cannot get an elite established coach, then I?m fine with turning to butch.

Coach34
03-30-2018, 09:53 AM
As you guys finally realized with Mullen- coaches negotiate while the season is going on for open jobs. We’ll have our coach locked down by the end of May. From there it will be just waiting until their season is over to announce it

preachermatt83
03-30-2018, 10:46 AM
As you guys finally realized with Mullen- coaches negotiate while the season is going on for open jobs. We’ll have our coach locked down by the end of May. From there it will be just waiting until their season is over to announce it
Correct

dawgs
03-30-2018, 05:45 PM

I don’t think many coaches start negotiating for new gigs when a national title is still a possibility. And for our top targets and our safety choice, a national title is absolutely still on the table for all of them this year. Mullen has never been in the running for a national title late in the season except for 2014, and after the bama game it was still a long shot we’d get in as a 2nd sec West program. They might indicate they would be open to discussions later, but I think that’s about it for now. Negotiating for other gigs right now would be the equivalent of Dan interviewing for jobs at the end of September.