PDA

View Full Version : I will admit it?s infuriating to watch Newman blossom

Irondawg
03-25-2018, 06:32 PM
As a 2 guard. He?s still not an NBA guy I don?t think but he appears to have finally figured out the college game.

Would he have figured it out under Howland? Who knows but the Newman in the NCAA would have been fun to watch in the Hump

MaroonFlounder
03-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Forget him. Forget his daddy.

Forget Kegler. Forget his handler/AAU coach.

I’m using the nice F words.

Gutter Cobreh
03-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Forget him. Forget his daddy.

Forget Kegler. Forget his handler/AAU coach.

I’m using the nice F words.

Hate on him all you want, but he carried KS through overtime and defended his ass off on Duke’s final possession in regulation. He is playing on the grandest stage right now and balling out.

I don’t agree that he is a not NBA player. He may not be a star, but he could be a useful reserve off the bench.

Bulldog1
03-25-2018, 07:11 PM
I ain’t pulling for Newman. I hope they get clobbered by Villanova. Ain’t got nothing for him.

sleepy dawg
03-25-2018, 08:52 PM
As a 2 guard. He?s still not an NBA guy I don?t think but he appears to have finally figured out the college game.

Would he have figured it out under Howland? Who knows but the Newman in the NCAA would have been fun to watch in the Hump

"Infuriating"? That seems extreme. Shit happens. He (or his dad) made a decision he thought was best for him. Turns out its working out pretty good for him.

msstate7
03-25-2018, 08:54 PM
"Infuriating"? That seems extreme. Shit happens. He (or his dad) made a decision he thought was best for him. Turns out its working out pretty good for him.

Self sold Malik a dream. Malik left to play the point there. Worked out for Malik, but the reason he left was to be a 1

LC Dawg
03-25-2018, 09:01 PM
I have no problem with Malik. I don?t care at all for his father.

maroonmania
03-25-2018, 09:11 PM

The only thing "infuriating" is he transferred to KS to basically play the same role for KS that he would have played for us. He's sure no PG but refused to listen to Howland. He's about what you would figure a talented guy would be that is in his 3rd year out of HS. He's only really been good for KS in the last 7-8 games. I actually thought he had a mediocre game today until OT. Missed a ton of open looks.

preachermatt83
03-25-2018, 09:31 PM
It's simple... he finally embraced playing the 2. Had he done it sooner he would have been even better. Had he done it here he would have developed just as well.

Dawg61
03-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Newman that pulled his name back from the draft was never going to gel with Peters and Nick. Sure he looks great now but we lose one of either Peters or Nick to have him. Probably Peters. I'd rather have Lamar.

Bulldog1
03-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Newman that pulled his name back from the draft was never going to gel with Peters and Nick. Sure he looks great now but we lose one of either Peters or Nick to have him. Probably Peters. I'd rather have Lamar.
Same here

Gutter Cobreh
03-25-2018, 11:48 PM

Q hasn’t been the same since Newman skipped town. I love Peters, but I’d still take Newman if I were asked to select between the two of them...

Pit Bull
03-26-2018, 12:28 AM

Guess Russell Westbrook figured it out under Howland.....maybe Kevin Love too?

mstatefan91
03-26-2018, 01:31 AM
Time to move on

MarketingBully
03-26-2018, 03:06 AM
Q hasn’t been the same since Newman skipped town. I love Peters, but I’d still take Newman if I were asked to select between the two of them...

I like the makeup of our team as it stands. With who we have coming back and adding next year, next year should be a heck of a lot of fun with the potential at a deep run in the tournament. I think we’ll be okay.

BiscuitEater
03-26-2018, 04:00 AM
I love Peters, but I’d still take Newman if I were asked to select between the two of them...

They DON'T play the same position. Peters is a PG. Newman left BECAUSE he wanted to play PG. Self lied to him to get him to Kansas where he is NOT playing PG!

msstate7
03-26-2018, 06:29 AM
They DON'T play the same position. Peters is a PG. Newman left BECAUSE he wanted to play PG. Self lied to him to get him to Kansas where he is NOT playing PG!

Malik is an idiot for thinking he could play pg for Kansas when he could not play pg at miss state

somebodyshotmypaw
03-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Newman has certainly gotten better. But a player usually does from their freshman to junior year. He has an NBA future I think, but probably as a role player off the bench. I wonder who he is going to guard in the NBA. Most of the two guards in the NBA will be much bigger than he is. And the point guards will be quicker. Newman really struggled guarding Grayson Allen, even though Grayson shot poorly.

I think his NBA future is to continue to develop his outside shot, be coachable, play your role to help the team win. If he does that, I think he can play 10-12 years in the NBA getting 10-25 minutes per game off the bench.

ShotgunDawg
03-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Malik and MSU were just bad timing. Nothing more, nothing less.

On a competitive team, Malik likely accepts his role but we weren’t competitive.

Timing is everything. It stinks but it?s the truth. The ascention of our program didn?t line up with when Malik came along.

fishwater99
03-26-2018, 09:22 AM
It's simple... he finally embraced playing the 2. Had he done it sooner he would have been even better. Had he done it here he would have developed just as well.

Truth ^^

msbulldog
03-26-2018, 12:15 PM
I wish the kid all the luck in the world. It didn't work out with us, that's happened before and it will happen again, Hail State.

drunkernhelldawg
03-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Hate on him all you want, but he carried KS through overtime and defended his ass off on Duke?s final possession in regulation. He is playing on the grandest stage right now and balling out.

I don?t agree that he is a not NBA player. He may not be a star, but he could be a useful reserve off the bench.

He's got a chance to be MVP of the tourney.

Dawg61
03-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Tookie Brown vs Malik Newman?

In hindsight it appears Howland had a very difficult choice as soon as he took the job. Keep Tookie Brown (whose averaged about 17 ppg for 3 straight seasons) or drop Tookie and sign Malik Newman. We all know which he choose and it was a pretty obvious choice at the time to do so so Howland could make an immediate impact in recruiting that got noticed nation wide. The question I wonder is what happens if he keeps Tookie and doesn't sign Newman? How big of a ripple would that make negatively on our signing classes? Does that mean that all or just some of Holman, Kegler, Herard, Peters and Nick Spoon don't sign here just because Howland signed a different point guard in Tookie than a guy that wanted to be a PG but actually is a shooting guard in Malik Newman? It's interesting at least to think about how drastically different a team can be just by the signing or not signing of one player. I don't blame Howland for Newman. It appears he had no choice but to sign him and fluff his balls some on being a point guard. It's just a very interesting turn of events to me is all.

MaroonFlounder
03-26-2018, 08:49 PM
They better make next year count big time. Looks like we only have one more year of Lamar and Nick spoon, as they are projected to be draft picks. And Q will be a senior. That fantastic backcourt will be history. Does ELi Wright stick around?

Bulldog1
03-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Does Eli Wright stick around?

I doubt it. I would love for him to stay though. Someone is going to leave, unless somebody pays their way.

DawgBone
03-27-2018, 04:15 AM
I doubt it. I would love for him to stay though. Someone is going to leave, unless somebody pays their way.

Eli will stay. He’s not leaving to sit one and play one. Eli may be looking at even less minutes next year but it’s gonna depend on how much of an impact our incoming freshmen make. He said last yr when he wanted to leave that he didn’t want to sit a year.

DawgBone
03-27-2018, 04:33 AM
Next year we will really be able to tell if we are going to be a consistent contender, both on the court and in recruiting. We should be a solid top 15/25 team, but that’s only a guarantee for next year. Spoon bros will be gone after next year, possiblyl Lamar and maybe Reggie Perry. I’ve heard it may take an extra year for Perry to transition and I’ve heard he is an absolute stud and a for sure 1 and done, which is much more believable considering he’s the #2 recruit in a very talented state. That leaves four spots MINIMUM we have to fill for four major contributors. 2019-2020 season may be another season like this year if all four leave, but I still think we’d make the tournament in 2020.

Bulldog1
03-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Eli will stay. He’s not leaving to sit one and play one. Eli may be looking at even less minutes next year but it’s gonna depend on how much of an impact our incoming freshmen make. He said last yr when he wanted to leave that he didn’t want to sit a year.

If he goes D-II, he can play immediately. Someone has to leave. I don’t know why Datcher would stay, probably be him.

Dawg61
03-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Perry's a 1 and done now? Gonna be tough to be 1 and done coming off the bench.