PDA

View Full Version : Hats off for our friends at Loyola....

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2018, 08:16 PM
They made the Final Four. Our two schools will forever be linked by the Game of Change. Well done!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-24-2018, 08:24 PM
They made the Final Four. Our two schools will forever be linked by the Game of Change. Well done!

We'll try anything to get on those coattails won't we?*

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2018, 08:28 PM
We'll try anything to get on those coattails won't we?*

I saw the sarcastic, but I'm genuinely happy for them. They are a part of our history, and a very good part at that. I hope they win it all

basedog
03-24-2018, 08:32 PM
No doubt K State shot there wad on Kentucky, but Loyola is playing a high level game. Hope they win it all as well!

RocketDawg
03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
There's an 11 seed in the Final Four, and if FSU can beat Michigan there'll be a 9 seed. Has that ever happened before?

Still two 1 seeds left, and they play a 2 and a 3.

RocketDawg
03-24-2018, 08:58 PM
Sister Jean doesn't appear to be a big fan of Charles Barkley. And she's not afraid to say so. More people should be that way. I don't think that was the answer they expected.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Sister Jean doesn't appear to be a big fan of Charles Barkley. And she's not afraid to say so. More people should be that way. I don't think that was the answer they expected.

Missed it. What happened?

Commercecomet24
03-25-2018, 12:53 AM
I hope Loyola wins it all!

Dawg61
03-25-2018, 12:56 AM
There's an 11 seed in the Final Four, and if FSU can beat Michigan there'll be a 9 seed. Has that ever happened before?

Still two 1 seeds left, and they play a 2 and a 3.

11 seed VCU made it the year 8 seed Butler played in the championship game. VCU played in the first four that year and made it to the final four. That was an awesome team Shaka Smart had. The world got introduced to Havoc defense.

Bully13
03-25-2018, 08:13 AM

can someone splain the sister Jean/ Barkley deal?

msbulldog
03-25-2018, 09:06 AM
1963 the year of 'The Game of Change' was the last time and only time Loyola won the NCAA championship.

" Loyola defeated the all-white team of then-segregated Mississippi State by a score of 61–51, a game especially notable because the Bulldogs defied a state court order prohibiting them from playing against a school with black players."

Bully13
03-25-2018, 09:14 AM
LOL Sister Jean and Charles Barkley

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/watch-sister-jean-throws-shade-at-charles-barkley-after-loyola-chicago-makes-final-four

basedog
03-25-2018, 09:20 AM
1963 the year of 'The Game of Change' was the last time and only time Loyola won the NCAA championship.

" Loyola defeated the all-white team of then-segregated Mississippi State by a score of 61–51, a game especially notable because the Bulldogs defied a state court order prohibiting them from playing against a school with black players."

I was pretty young back then, but I use to listen to Jack on the radio doing those games in the very early 60's. I've been told by many Msu elders that the 63' team wasn't our best or most talented team. I think we had a team prior that could have won it all, not sure of the year but they were like 24-1 and beat Kentucky twice and they won it all.
Msu didn't hold the other teams back from going to the Ncaa, how bout the Governor and the legislators who were mostly OM folks. Just saying.

Bully13
03-25-2018, 10:14 AM
I was born in '63 while my dad was at State. I remember him telling me how good we were back then. does anybody know how many times we were denied the opportunity to play post season back then?

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 10:55 AM
I was born in '63 while my dad was at State. I remember him telling me how good we were back then. does anybody know how many times we were denied the opportunity to play post season back then?

I was around then but young, and all I seem to remember is that we and Vanderbilt and maybe LSU, were pretty much the basketball teams of the SEC. There was no such thing as a 3-pointer, no shot clock (so a team could "freeze" the ball), no dunks allowed, no Alley Oops, and the players were long and gangly, not musclebound like they are now. It was a completely different sports world ... more finesse and less bull-in-the-China-shop. And Yes, OM was good at football but not really recognized national champions except maybe by the Mississippi media.

I don't remember how many opportunities we passed on to go to the NCAA events.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 11:05 AM
I was pretty young back then, but I use to listen to Jack on the radio doing those games in the very early 60's. I've been told by many Msu elders that the 63' team wasn't our best or most talented team. I think we had a team prior that could have won it all, not sure of the year but they were like 24-1 and beat Kentucky twice and they won it all.
Msu didn't hold the other teams back from going to the Ncaa, how bout the Governor and the legislators who were mostly OM folks. Just saying.

I was also quite young then, but it seems to me like we were better in basketball in the late 50s than we were into the 60s. I know we weren't all that great by the time I started school in 65, but honestly I went to very few games.

Regarding your bolded statement ... yes, I suspect most of the politicians were from OM since they have the law school and most politicians are lawyers. However, the separation of black and white was the law, and support of that particular law was pervasive in the state, in the south, and had been in much of the nation up until not long before that. So you can't really blame OM for that. In today's terms there would be just as many racists from MSU as there were from OM ... that's just the way it was in the state, that's the way people were raised, and it seemed natural to those who grew up that way. And it hadn't been long since that was a pervasive attitude nationwide. Most of the NFL teams were all white, for example.

Bully13
03-25-2018, 11:12 AM
I was around then but young, and all I seem to remember is that we and Vanderbilt and maybe LSU, were pretty much the basketball teams of the SEC. There was no such thing as a 3-pointer, no shot clock (so a team could "freeze" the ball), no dunks allowed, no Alley Oops, and the players were long and gangly, not musclebound like they are now. It was a completely different sports world ... more finesse and less bull-in-the-China-shop. And Yes, OM was good at football but not really recognized national champions except maybe by the Mississippi media.

I don't remember how many opportunities we passed on to go to the NCAA events.

seems like I remember listening on the radio with my dad around '78 or so and I think we were playing KY. we used that "stall tactic" to beat them that night.

would be interested to know when the shot clock was implemented, 3 point line and dunks became allowed. I remember watching that national championship game as a youngster with my dad when Memphis State played UCLA with Bill Walton. wasn't there some grumbling as to whether or not Walton was dunking in that game?

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Back then I think only the SEC champion went, and there was no SEC Tourny. I believe we were denied the chance 3 times.

basedog
03-25-2018, 11:26 AM
I was also quite young then, but it seems to me like we were better in basketball in the late 50s than we were into the 60s. I know we weren't all that great by the time I started school in 65, but honestly I went to very few games.

Regarding your bolded statement ... yes, I suspect most of the politicians were from OM since they have the law school and most politicians are lawyers. However, the separation of black and white was the law, and support of that particular law was pervasive in the state, in the south, and had been in much of the nation up until not long before that. So you can't really blame OM for that. In today's terms there would be just as many racists from MSU as there were from OM ... that's just the way it was in the state, that's the way people were raised, and it seemed natural to those who grew up that way. And it hadn't been long since that was a pervasive attitude nationwide. Most of the NFL teams were all white, for example.

Wasn't really saying OM was at fault, I do know our team and Babe wanted badly to attend the NCAA tourney, asked for permission to go and that is when the Gov and legislator's denied us. It took guts for our President and Babe to sneak out of Starkville, actually our team was in a bad situation as for as trying to get ready to play and win a game. Just imagine the pressure they were under and no way on God's green earth could they have been 100% prepared to play.

basedog
03-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Back then I think only the SEC champion went, and there was no SEC Tourny. I believe we were denied the chance 3 times.

I think only 8 teams were invited, like I stated earlier we beat Ky twice and won the Sec championship only to be denied attending the tournament. Most don't really understand how good our program was under the great legendary Babe. Btw, back then I was an OM fan but pulled for Msu every game except one but I didn't hate Msu if they won which they did once or twice, lol.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 11:42 AM
seems like I remember listening on the radio with my dad around '78 or so and I think we were playing KY. we used that "stall tactic" to beat them that night.

would be interested to know when the shot clock was implemented, 3 point line and dunks became allowed. I remember watching that national championship game as a youngster with my dad when Memphis State played UCLA with Bill Walton. wasn't there some grumbling as to whether or not Walton was dunking in that game?

I'm not sure when the 3 point rule and dunking change were implemented. I do seem to remember some controversy wth Bill Walton, and I think the rule was your hand couldn't extend above the cylnder of the hoop.

As I recall, the Alley Oop (named after a cartoon character) came about with Michael Jordan at UNC. At first, the officials would call goal tending since it looked like the passing player was actually shooting the ball and missed. Seems like it took some time to convince them otherwise, and I also suspect that dunking was allowed about the same time. It certainly made for a much more interesting and exciting college game. They even had to change the design of the goal to inclued a heavy spring to minimize breakage. I'm trying to remember if we had glass backboards when I was in college or solid ones, but pretty sure it was glass. I think dunking had been around in the NBA for quite some time.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Wasn't really saying OM was at fault, I do know our team and Babe wanted badly to attend the NCAA tourney, asked for permission to go and that is when the Gov and legislator's denied us. It took guts for our President and Babe to sneak out of Starkville, actually our team was in a bad situation as for as trying to get ready to play and win a game. Just imagine the pressure they were under and no way on God's green earth could they have been 100% prepared to play.

Yes, literally sneaking out at night took a lot of guts and turned out to be a huge turning point. But my comment is because many blame OM for the racial attitudes in the state, when it wasn't just them ... it was the entire state, regardless of what school a person supported. We can blame them for a lot of things, many of which are just good natured ribbing, but it's not fair to seriously blame them on that particular issue.

I had no particular dislike for OM then, and I've been gone from the state so long that I have no angst for them even today, when the atmosphere has become particular toxic. I don't think that sort of rivalry serves either school well. Good natured rivalry and competition is fine; literal hate is not.

basedog
03-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Yes, literally sneaking out at night took a lot of guts and turned out to be a huge turning point. But my comment is because many blame OM for the racial attitudes in the state, when it wasn't just them ... it was the entire state, regardless of what school a person supported. We can blame them for a lot of things, many of which are just good natured ribbing, but it's not fair to seriously blame them on that particular issue.

I had no particular dislike for OM then, and I've been gone from the state so long that I have no angst for them even today, when the atmosphere has become particular toxic. I don't think that sort of rivalry serves either school well. Good natured rivalry and competition is fine; literal hate is not.

I think you jumped ahead of my comment, I said “MOST”. I didn’t really mean for it blame OM. But since we are on this subject, don’t think OM hasn’t hurt MSU when dealing with issues in legislation.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 12:24 PM
I think you jumped ahead of my comment, I said “MOST”. I didn’t really mean for it blame OM. But since we are on this subject, don’t think OM hasn’t hurt MSU when dealing with issues in legislation.

I certainly don't doubt that.

msbulldog
03-25-2018, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure when the 3 point rule and dunking change were implemented. I do seem to remember some controversy wth Bill Walton, and I think the rule was your hand couldn't extend above the cylnder of the hoop.

As I recall, the Alley Oop (named after a cartoon character) came about with Michael Jordan at UNC. At first, the officials would call goal tending since it looked like the passing player was actually shooting the ball and missed. Seems like it took some time to convince them otherwise, and I also suspect that dunking was allowed about the same time. It certainly made for a much more interesting and exciting college game. They even had to change the design of the goal to inclued a heavy spring to minimize breakage. I'm trying to remember if we had glass backboards when I was in college or solid ones, but pretty sure it was glass. I think dunking had been around in the NBA for quite some time.

Rocket, your hand is still not allowed over the top of the cylinder of the rim defensively, that's goal tending. Dunking has always been allowed, it was that nobody could do it. Hanging on the rim after the dunk is a technical, they just don' call it anymore.

msbulldog
03-25-2018, 04:44 PM

You Guys want to learn about it, our old beat writer Kyle Veazy wrote a book about it, this is the Amazon link address:
https://www.amazon.com/Champions-Change-Mississippi-Bulldogs-Segregation/dp/1609496086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522014103&sr=8-1&keywords=kyle+veazey

Bully13
03-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Rocket, your hand is still not allowed over the top of the cylinder of the rim defensively, that's goal tending. Dunking has always been allowed, it was that nobody could do it. Hanging on the rim after the dunk is a technical, they just don' call it anymore.

I don't think it was allowed for while in college.

Bully13
03-25-2018, 04:54 PM
You Guys want to learn about it, our old beat writer Kyle Veazy wrote a book about it, this is the Amazon link address:
https://www.amazon.com/Champions-Change-Mississippi-Bulldogs-Segregation/dp/1609496086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522014103&sr=8-1&keywords=kyle+veazey

Wow. that means from '59 thru '63 we won the SEC 4 times and only got to go to the NIT once.

msbulldog
03-25-2018, 05:05 PM

1962-63 22-6
1961-62 24-1
1960-61 19-6
1959-60 12-13
1958-59 24-1
1957-58 20-5

All under Babe McCarthy and we were SEC Champs most every year and schooled Adolph Rupp and Kentucky regularly. We were denied playing in the NCAA's every year before 1963. I was 8 in 1963.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I know defensively it's goal tending. I'm far from a basketball expert, but I don't think dunking was allowed in college basketball back in the 60s and 70s. I could very well be wrong though. Just googled, and found this that says it was banned in 67 and reinstated in 76: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=444206 I don't know if that's authoritative or not. Before 67 there weren't many capable of dunking ....

I've noticed they don't call hanging onto the basket, but I think it's by the rules not allowed unless you're trying to keep from landing on somebody (safety). So there must be a lot of "safety" calls nowadays. They also don't seem to enforce the 3 second rule very often, unless it's against McCowan .... Nor traveling.

Mutt the Hoople
03-25-2018, 06:14 PM

You're correct, it was the Mississippi legislature, ie,the Ole Miss Reichstag.

Matty Dispatch
03-26-2018, 06:30 AM

only one SEC team made it during that era, so State would have gone in 1959, 1961 and 1962. But those were some good years.

1957: 17-8 (ranked 15th in final AP poll)
1958: 20-5 (ranked 15th in final AP poll)
1959: 24-1 (ranked 3rd in final AP poll & SEC Champions)
1960: 12-13
1961: 19-6 (SEC Champions)
1962: 24-1 (ranked 4th in final AP poll & SEC Champions)

Bully13
03-26-2018, 06:49 AM
only one SEC team made it during that era, so State would have gone in 1959, 1961 and 1962. But those were some good years.

1957: 17-8 (ranked 15th in final AP poll)
1958: 20-5 (ranked 15th in final AP poll)
1959: 24-1 (ranked 3rd in final AP poll & SEC Champions)
1960: 12-13
1961: 19-6 (SEC Champions)
1962: 24-1 (ranked 4th in final AP poll & SEC Champions)

thanks Matty. Wow.