PDA

View Full Version : Evidence that Dan was shopping himself before the Egg Bowl

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 12:04 AM
https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-coaching-search-timeline-John-Currie-Mike-Gundy-Mike-Leach-Dan-Mullen-Dave-Doeren-116582734

And if I remember correctly Stricklin contacted him either the day before or the day of the game.

mparkerfd20
03-23-2018, 12:36 AM
17 that POS.

Dawg61
03-23-2018, 12:50 AM
Damn reading that makes ya kinda feel bad for Currie. He was all set to hire Mullen and Mullen ****ed him. Dan Mullen is getting scummier by the second. Florida gonna have to throw him out with the spoiled milk soon.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 01:15 AM
Damn reading that makes ya kinda feel bad for Currie. He was all set to hire Mullen and Mullen ****ed him. Dan Mullen is getting scummier by the second. Florida gonna have to throw him out with the spoiled milk soon.

And Stricklin too.

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 01:32 AM
Where is liverpool and all the mullenties???????

You were all fooled

Pit Bull
03-23-2018, 05:07 AM
https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-coaching-search-timeline-John-Currie-Mike-Gundy-Mike-Leach-Dan-Mullen-Dave-Doeren-116582734

And if I remember correctly Stricklin contacted him either the day before or the day of the game.

Dan was leaving Starkvegas even if he had to take a year off from coaching to get a different job. He's a good actor. Really thought he enjoyed the years in Vegas, but apparently was even looking after his first contract was up, but nobody bit on him. So, he just stayed on til even he couldn't stand it any more.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-23-2018, 05:44 AM
I bet Mullen has some interesting DM's..... not as interesting as Cann's.... but then again...

Cooterpoot
03-23-2018, 06:03 AM
I bet Mullen has some interesting DM's..... not as interesting as Cann's.... but then again...

Wrong woman.

CovertDawg
03-23-2018, 06:39 AM
It definitely shows Mullen's head was in other places on the night of the Egg Bowl. Coach Moorhead's offense will be like chess versus Dan Mullen's checkers. That being said, Mississippi State has finished above .500 in the conference exactly ONE time in the last 18 years. I believe Moorhead is the guy to take us to that "next level" but it is still a monumental task.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Absolute 17ing BS by Mullen imo.

I think Mullen is an excellent football coach that MSU only got about 85% out of due to him always trying to leave and never devoting 100% of himself to the task at hand.

This is what is so frustrating about our place in the college football universe.

Not only do we have to battle programs with greater resources, we have worry if our head coach is willing to commit fully to the task.

How do we know JoMo will?

How do I know that JoMo just views MSU as a gateway to an NFL job or a Big 10 job?

The answer is we don?t. I just can?t help but wonder how much more Mullen could?ve done if he was fully invested.

Shameful

CadaverDawg
03-23-2018, 07:37 AM
Mullen stole at least 2/13th’s of his salary pretty much every year from MSU, because he was having those conversations every year prior to the Egg Bowl and Bowl game. Think about that. Think about how much of that multi-million salary was being used to try to find a way out WHILE ON THE JOB....not just on the job, but while preparing for our last 2-3 games each year. Wanna know why Mullen couldnt close? Wanna know why his first year was his strongest Egg Bowl & Bowl Game finish? Now we know.

msstate7
03-23-2018, 07:42 AM
Is there a tampering rule of sorts in college football? Does an AD have to have permission to talk to a HC at another school during the season?

Randolph Dupree
03-23-2018, 07:42 AM

I think Mullen is an excellent football coach that MSU only got about 85% out of due to him always trying to leave and never devoting 100% of himself to the task at hand.

This is what is so frustrating about our place in the college football universe.

Not only do we have to battle programs with greater resources, we have worry if our head coach is willing to commit fully to the task.

How do I know that JoMo just views MSU as a gateway to an NFL job or a Big 10 job?

The answer is we don?t. I just can?t help but wonder how much more Mullen could?ve done if he was fully invested.

Shameful

Good post with some good points. I think JoMo’s personality is a 180 of Mullen's. JoMo is a football guy, a lot like Polk 1 was a baseball guy. He wants to coach football and win games, I think he showed us that when he took the salary he took and left room to make sure he could pay assistants well. Mullen's is a Mullen's guy that knows how to coach football, I think he showed us that by taking the salary he did and hosing his assistants...that and by being a complete DB by shopping himself constantly.

Dawgface
03-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Shameful

If JoeMo has instant success and most talking heads believes he will, someone from the B10 will come after him. It just depends on what school and how much he values going back north over coaching in the SEC. But I'm not worrying about it......just going to enjoy whatever success he has here.

Ari Gold
03-23-2018, 07:51 AM
He was gone after the Bama game .. remember that shit show in Fayetteville?
And this wasn’t the first Egg Bowl that ole Danny Boy had planned on being his last .

ababyatemydingo
03-23-2018, 07:53 AM
Is there a tampering rule of sorts in college football? Does an AD have to have permission to talk to a HC at another school during the season?

I think it's a gentleman's agreement that an AD will get permission from the other AD before talking to a coach. Either this didn't happen with Mullen, or Cohen is a dumbass for letting him shop before the season was over. I don't think Cohen is a dumbass. I seem to remember Stricklin saying that he talked to Cohen before talking to Mullen. And that he and Mullen talked either the day before or day of the EB. Also seem to remember Cohen saying that Mullen told him a while back that he was looking to get out this year. So that Cohen could begin putting out his feelers. Maybe Cohen was done with him, had his guy in Moorhead, and just told Mullen "f it, do whatever you want".

Bulldog1
03-23-2018, 08:01 AM
After we lost Bama game, Mullen was not interested anymore.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Dan was leaving Starkvegas even if he had to take a year off from coaching to get a different job. He's a good actor. Really thought he enjoyed the years in Vegas, but apparently was even looking after his first contract was up, but nobody bit on him. So, he just stayed on til even he couldn't stand it any more.

I highly doubt that Dan would take a year off to find another job as long as we were paying him 5 million.

Turfdawg67
03-23-2018, 08:02 AM

Shameful

We don't know... all depends on if Coach Joe believes he can recruit and win big at State, AND if he and his family like living in Starkville. I don't believe DM ever liked living in little ole Starkville. Friends that still live in Starkville never saw him out eating and being social, which I always thought was odd. When I lived there I always saw Rockey & Jackie Wayne out and about. We were always a stepping stone for Mullen but it just took longer for him to find another job.

AlSwearengen
03-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Damn, Mullen set up a time to meet the guy and then wouldn’t respond to the guys text asking for confirmation the night before.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
It definitely shows Mullen's head was in other places on the night of the Egg Bowl. Coach Moorhead's offense will be like chess versus Dan Mullen's checkers. That being said, Mississippi State has finished above .500 in the conference exactly ONE time in the last 18 years. I believe Moorhead is the guy to take us to that "next level" but it is still a monumental task.

I feel like Dan underachieved a lot because he was looking around. I feel like a coach that is more focused will indeed take us to the next level. If he has any kind of focus we beat Ole Miss twice at least at home.

PMDawg
03-23-2018, 08:07 AM
Do you understand hyperbole?

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 08:10 AM
I think it's a gentleman's agreement that an AD will get permission from the other AD before talking to a coach. Either this didn't happen with Mullen, or Cohen is a dumbass for letting him shop before the season was over. I don't think Cohen is a dumbass. I seem to remember Stricklin saying that he talked to Cohen before talking to Mullen. And that he and Mullen talked either the day before or day of the EB. Also seem to remember Cohen saying that Mullen told him a while back that he was looking to get out this year. So that Cohen could begin putting out his feelers. Maybe Cohen was done with him, had his guy in Moorhead, and just told Mullen "f it, do whatever you want".

If I remember correctly Cohen offered Dan an extension after we beat A&M and he wouldn't take it so Cohen started looking. That's why our search happened so quickly.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 08:12 AM
If JoeMo has instant success and most talking heads believes he will, someone from the B10 will come after him. It just depends on what school and how much he values going back north over coaching in the SEC. But I'm not worrying about it......just going to enjoy whatever success he has here.

With RPO's becoming a big thing in the NFL and Bellichick having no idea how to stop them we may have to worry more about the NFL than the Big 10. Especially if Joe is as intelligent as I think he is on first impression.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 08:21 AM

You were all fooled

We are supporting the new coach and not worrying about the ex coach. My only two comments about those days (and days to come most likely):1) If we have a successful coach there will always be rumors (some factual and some not) about him leaving until the program reaches elite status. There probabaly will be then too. If we want to be successful we better get used to it. 2) Why start and spread those rumors ourselves?

drummerdawg
03-23-2018, 08:27 AM
We don't know... all depends on if Coach Joe believes he can recruit and win big at State, AND if he and his family like living in Starkville. I don't believe DM ever liked living in little ole Starkville. Friends that still live in Starkville never saw him out eating and being social, which I always thought was odd. When I lived there I always saw Rockey & Jackie Wayne out and about. We were always a stepping stone for Mullen but it just took longer for him to find another job.

He may not have liked living in Starkville much but he did get out. My family has ran in to him on several occasions at either restraunts or at the grocery store.

ababyatemydingo
03-23-2018, 08:30 AM
If I remember correctly Cohen offered Dan an extension after we beat A&M and he wouldn't take it so Cohen started looking. That's why our search happened so quickly.

I think you're right. My memory is fuzzy. Was just trying to remember several different articles from that time. I thought i remembered reading somewhere that Dan gave him a heads up that he felt he had done all he could do here, and that he'd be looking around, so that Cohen could begin with his feelers. Maybe that was a quote from Cohen to sugar coat it, and not make it look as bad on Mullen as it was. i don't know

shannondawg
03-23-2018, 08:32 AM
17 yankee

Bully13
03-23-2018, 08:45 AM
I'm not going to hit the link because it'll just piss me off more than I am right now. and I, like everybody else by now , knows it was going on. 34 schooled the hell out of many of us on this shit way back when including my self.

my football memories go back to '69 when I was 6 yrs old sitting in my small chair and desk listening to us beat tsun while Archie was on the sideline with a cast. For the 1st time in my life, we actually had a HC leave for another job instead of being fired. being ranked # 1 for 5 weeks, blowing out MI in the gator bowl, the most lobsided egg bowl win in our history. I think these things are more significant than the # of .500 SEC seasons we've had in the last 20 years.

In my opinion, a new day has arrived for MSU football. we now have a proven HC who seems to have way more character and integrity than Mullen. I'm excited to see what happens now that we have replaced the country club with a HC and staff that's got some work ethic and sincerity about their jobs. JO MO had a sweet gig he left to come down here. I'd be willing to bet he analyzed the hell out of the move prior to saying "I do" to Cohen. I think JO MO knows he's got a gig that he can succeed at . no way he leaves Penn State to come down here if he didn't have a good idea about what he could accomplish in StarkVegas.

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2018, 08:48 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

2009 - 100% Dan - we are respectable, hard nosed, 5-7, 1 play away from an LSU upset and a bowl and a BS holding call against Houston that negated a touchdown from possibly even better.

2010 - 100% Dan - 9-4 - and a BS 1st spot by AU and a BS illegal forward pass call vs. Arky away from 10-2 regular season.
Late 2010 - Dan blows Miami interview because "he thinks he invented football"

2011 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 - Stuck where he doesn't want to be, gets hosed again by Auburn, gives up season until realizing he has to beat OM to make a bowl. Kicks OM ass to make bowl.

2012 -Pissy Dan 85% - 8-5 - Dan realizes to get interviews this year, he needs to win. 7-0 "We believe". Starts looking, shits bed against Bama, LSU, A&M, OM. Losses job offers. Really gives no shits in Gator as Russell throws 2,000 INTS in a winnable game with Dak on the bench.

2013 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 -Stuck again, Dan looks clueless in OSU opener trying get Russell killed running read option. Hosed again by BS against Auburn, Dan gives up but Dak wills us to enough wins to make a Bowl and 7-6.

2014 - Rockstar Dan 90% - 10-3 - Dan realizes he has all the tools he needs to make a run at a new job and "nobody knows what is about to take this field" - Team whips holy ass and becomes #1. Dan puckers up at Bama and becomes Sulky Dan for rest of season. Shits bed against Ole Miss and GT. Dan gets no job.

2015 - Check Down Dan 75% - 9-4 - Dan figures he can turn Dak into an NFL star. Does so, but cares about only that and getting a new job. A kick against LSU away from another 10 win season. Dan starts looking late, and a Bama loss, a lucky win vs Arky, and an OM shit show ensue.
Dan gets stuck in Stark again after Richt snakes Miami from him.

2016 - Bitch Dan 25% - 6-7 - Dan gives so few shits hires Sirmon and he can't decide on a QB. Locker room splits. Some fans think Fitz is prettyboy/gay/party boy with no heart and leadership, Staley is a clown, and Dam Williams is the future. Fitz shows everyone who's boss, wills us to 5 wins, and our GPA saves us for a bowl and win 6.

2017 - Judas Dan 85% - 9-4 - Dan realizes he has a power running game and another future NFL QB but actually needs a defense. Gives everyone wood by hiring Grantham and adding JUCO talent. Dan puckers up against UGA and AU, but they are damn good. Coaches best game against Bama and almost wins. Is determined to get out and almost loses to a terrible Arky team, then is dreaming of orange creamsicle and blue tick hounds while OM plays one of the dirtiest games in history. Dan wakes up sometime in the 4th quarter and starts calling plays again but by then it's too late. Scott Stricklin phones a friend after being laughed at by everyone else, and Dan ****s him for way too much money.

-fin-

Bully13
03-23-2018, 08:53 AM
good stuff Brunswick.

Choctaw Dawg
03-23-2018, 08:59 AM
I noticed Dan's work ethic and his inability to care about the job he had in Starkville when we played Russel almost all season with the future face of the program sitting on the bench. It really came to a head for me when we were down 3-0 at halftime to UAB in 2011.

MadDawg
03-23-2018, 09:06 AM
Just think, one day there will be a thread just like this one about Joe Moorhead.

TrapGame
03-23-2018, 09:14 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

2009 - 100% Dan - we are respectable, hard nosed, 5-7, 1 play away from an LSU upset and a bowl and a BS holding call against Houston that negated a touchdown from possibly even better.

2010 - 100% Dan - 9-4 - and a BS 1st spot by AU and a BS illegal forward pass call vs. Arky away from 10-2 regular season.

2011 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 - Stuck where he doesn't want to be, gets hosed again by Auburn, gives up season until realizing he has to beat OM to make a bowl. Kicks OM ass to make bowl.

2012 -Pissy Dan 85% - 8-5 - Dan realizes to get interviews this year, he needs to win. 7-0 "We believe". Starts looking, shits bed against Bama, LSU, A&M, OM. Losses job offers. Really gives no shits in Gator as Russell throws 2,000 INTS in a winnable game with Dak on the bench.

2013 - Sulky Dan 50% - 7-6 -Stuck again, Dan looks clueless in OSU opener trying get Russell killed running read option. Hosed again by BS against Auburn, Dan gives up but Dak wills us to enough wins to make a Bowl and 7-6.

2014 - Rockstar Dan 90% - 10-3 - Dan realizes he has all the tools he needs to make a run at a new job and "nobody knows what is about to take this field" - Team whips holy ass and becomes #1. Dan puckers up at Bama and becomes Sulky Dan for rest of season. Shits bed against Ole Miss and GT. Dan gets no job.

2015 - Check Down Dan 75% - 9-4 - Dan figures he can turn Dak into an NFL star. Does so, but cares about only that and getting a new job. A kick against LSU away from another 10 win season. Dan starts looking late, and a Bama loss, a lucky win vs Arky, and an OM shit show ensue.

2016 - Bitch Dan 25% - 6-7 - Dan gives so few shits hires Sirmon and he can't decide on a QB. Locker room splits. Some fans think Fitz is prettyboy/gay/party boy with no heart and leadership, Staley is a clown, and Dam Williams is the future. Fitz shows everyone who's boss, wills us to 5 wins, and our GPA saves us for a bowl and win 6.

2017 - Judas Dan 85% - 9-4 - Dan realizes he has a power running game and another future NFL QB but actually needs a defense. Gives everyone wood by hiring Grantham and adding JUCO talent. Dan puckers up against UGA and AU, but they are damn good. Coaches best game against Bama and almost wins. Is determined to get out and almost loses to a terrible Arky team, then is dreaming of orange creamsicle and blue tick hounds while OM plays one of the dirtiest games in history. Dan wakes up sometime in the 4th quarter and starts calling plays again but by then it's too late. Scott Stricklin phones a friend after being laughed at by everyone else, and Dan ****s him for way too much money.

-fin-

100% spot effing on!!! Bravo.

Bulldog1
03-23-2018, 09:16 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

This.

Martianlander
03-23-2018, 09:17 AM
He may not have liked living in Starkville much but he did get out. My family has ran in to him on several occasions at either restraunts or at the grocery store.

After a couple of 7-5/8-4 seasons they won't be able to go to the grocery store in Gainesville.

TrapGame
03-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Just think, one day there will be a thread just like this one about Joe Moorhead.

If Joe is as big of a douche as Dan Mullen then there should be.

But Joe's personality thus far does not suggest that.

On another related note: We will be lucky to keep Joe for five years. Those five years will be special.

Ari Gold
03-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Huge difference in leaving a school for another job and pimping urself out year after year after year and not being all in .. and some still wonder why Dan recruited so poorly and we played like shit down the stretch a couple of years.

03-23-2018, 09:21 AM
I feel like Dan underachieved a lot because he was looking around. I feel like a coach that is more focused will indeed take us to the next level. If he has any kind of focus we beat Ole Miss twice at least at home.
Fair point, but really it has to be done within the first two years. Mullen was laser focused up through the 2010 season. Had he landed Cam Newton he probably would have won himself a new job at that point, most likely Florida.

Moorhead now has that opportunity again. He will be super focused at least in 2018 and 2019.

03-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Shameful
Mullen will always be known as the guy who could do a lot but could not close the deal. Losing Cam Newton should have alerted us of this right out of the gate

shoeless joe
03-23-2018, 09:26 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

You're memory failed you on the earlier seasons. The bogus illegal forward pass call was against Houston in 09. It cost us the game and should have been reviewed.

Auburn 2010 was a great game. We had numerous chances to win...just off the top of my head: the berry drop, broomfields dropped pick 6, relf overthrowing Perkins up the seem which woulda been a TD. (This was also the game where we ran one entire possession in the wishbone. I loved it. But the we turned it over on a fumbled snap and never ran it again except on goal line)

Auburn 2011 was the bogus game at auburn. Them listening in on our play calls and gettin a first down when the measurement came up short...still can't believe that. Also the game where Ballard scored on third down, no review, and then relf was stuffed on 4th to end the game.

03-23-2018, 09:28 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

Damn you nailed this in terrific detail

Minor detail - you guys need to quit pinning the 2012 and 2013 Russell/Dak stuff on Muffins. Most coaches would have done the same thing. Russell was not a bad quarterback, and we'd have been better in 2013 had he not gotten hurt. Dak was in no way ready to play in 2012

louisvilledawg
03-23-2018, 09:34 AM

Ironic username to have written this.

Bodawg
03-23-2018, 09:44 AM
Explains why Mullen stated we would never lose to Ole Miss again as long as he was here. His true intention was to leave in 2 to 3 years.

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2018, 09:47 AM
You're memory failed you on the earlier seasons. The bogus illegal forward pass call was against Houston in 09. It cost us the game and should have been reviewed.

Auburn 2010 was a great game. We had numerous chances to win...just off the top of my head: the berry drop, broomfields dropped pick 6, relf overthrowing Perkins up the seem which woulda been a TD. (This was also the game where we ran one entire possession in the wishbone. I loved it. But the we turned it over on a fumbled snap and never ran it again except on goal line)

Auburn 2011 was the bogus game at auburn. Them listening in on our play calls and gettin a first down when the measurement came up short...still can't believe that. Also the game where Ballard scored on third down, no review, and then relf was stuffed on 4th to end the game.

Minor detail - you guys need to quit pinning the 2012 and 2013 Russell/Dak stuff on Muffins. Most coaches would have done the same thing. Russell was not a bad quarterback, and we'd have been better in 2013 had he not gotten hurt. Dak was in no way ready to play in 2012

Yeah - some that may be slightly off, but going off the top of my head it can be hard to get all of it exact.
I always felt bad for Tyler. He was a fish out of water in Dan's system and did a very good job in 2012. But, whether Dak was ready or not in 2012, Russell was atrocious in the Gator Bowl and if Dan gave a shit he would have been yanked. The amazing thing was in spite of 4 INTs we could have won the game. We ran all over them. My beef there is all Dan, not Tyler. 2013 was tough because you had 2 QB's with such different skill sets. no doubt about it.

Turfdawg67
03-23-2018, 11:07 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

Bravo!

Commercecomet24
03-23-2018, 11:33 AM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

Awesome, Brunswick! Rep Given!

DogsofAnarchy
03-23-2018, 11:44 AM
And this wasn?t the first Egg Bowl that ole Danny Boy had planned on being his last .

When was it that UF hired the idiot who is now at South Carolina?

Coach34
03-23-2018, 12:18 PM

You were all fooled

But I thought I was the bad guy making all this up because of my "agenda"?

Commercecomet24
03-23-2018, 12:23 PM

I always supported Don, but you were 100% completely right about him. I'm old enough that I shouldn't have been fooled by his dog and pony show, but I was. C34, I appreciate you bringing the info you do even though sometimes it's painful to us.

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2018, 12:23 PM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

One correction, Dan was going to Maryland in 2015 before he started flirting with Miami. He tried to string along Maryland while he found out about Miami but Maryland got tired of his bullshit and hired someone else. What he did to UT was what he was doing to Maryland, Miami ended up hiring Richt and Maryland didn't wait around. This all comes from a high up Maryland grad that had no connection to MSU.

Edit to add: It really makes sense now that he did the exact same thing to UT, he just didn't get the Miami job.

Coach34
03-23-2018, 12:28 PM
One correction, Dan was going to Maryland in 2015 before he started flirting with Miami. He tried to string along Maryland while he found out about Miami but Maryland got tired of his bullshit and hired someone else. What he did to UT was what he was doing to Maryland, Miami ended up hiring Richt and Maryland didn't wait around. This all comes from a high up Maryland grad that had no connection to MSU.

Edit to add: It really makes sense now that he did the exact same thing to UT, he just didn't get the Miami job.

nahhhhh- that was just me making things up to fit my agenda

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2018, 12:29 PM

I think many of us - me included in this - didn't want to believe that someone could be as two-faced as the "agenda" made him out to be.
As fans, we want our coach to be all in, so we take any evidence that he is as gospel and any fact to the contrary as an "agenda", or lies, or whatever. Ultimately, I think that plays into why so many feel so burned. It's like a jilted lover.

Lloyd Dobler said it best - "She's gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."

msbulldog
03-23-2018, 12:32 PM
I think you're right. My memory is fuzzy. Was just trying to remember several different articles from that time. I thought i remembered reading somewhere that Dan gave him a heads up that he felt he had done all he could do here, and that he'd be looking around, so that Cohen could begin with his feelers. Maybe that was a quote from Cohen to sugar coat it, and not make it look as bad on Mullen as it was. i don't know

I remember reading the same thing.

smootness
03-23-2018, 12:34 PM
If Dan Mullen did what he did here while having one foot out the door the whole time, then he's the best coach in America.

TrapGame
03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
I still believe Cohen ended Dan's cozy little deal here at State. Dan could intimidate Strick but not Cohen (hence why he was more apt to take the UF gig). Cohen wanted the country Club broken up, Dan to stop whoring himself and recruiting kicked up a couple of notches. Dan saw his ride was over and bailed at the first legit opportunity. If Strick was still our AD, Dan would still be our HC.

msbulldog
03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
A history of Dan Mullen:

-fin-

That pretty much sums it up, good job Brunswick. And that reminds me, the reason we have so much talent going into next year is the 9 jucos Dan signed. The only reason he signed them is he had 17ed up recruiting so bad previously he had to go the juco route and got lucky with who he signed.

Dawg61
03-23-2018, 12:45 PM
And this wasn?t the first Egg Bowl that ole Danny Boy had planned on being his last .

If you go back and listen to him during his halftime sideline interview in the 11am UMass game you can here he's made his mind up to leave. He was complaining about the crowd leading up to that game and he references it during the interview. To me that tells me he was searching for reasons to ok his decision to leave to himself. He was making excuses then on why he should leave. "Oh look they won't fill the stadium even after I asked them all week to fill the stadium". **** Dan. Looks to me like he told himself "either sell out the 11am game or I am leaving" knowing full well we wouldn't have a sellout during an 11am game vs UMass.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 12:53 PM
If you go back and listen to him during his halftime sideline interview in the 11am UMass game you can here he's made his mind up to leave. He was complaining about the crowd leading up to that game and he references it during the interview. To me that tells me he was searching for reasons to ok his decision to leave to himself. He was making excuses then on why he should leave. "Oh look they won't fill the stadium even after I asked them all week to fill the stadium". **** Dan. Looks to me like he told himself "either sell out the 11am game or I am leaving" knowing full well we wouldn't have a sellout during an 11am game vs UMass.

I agree. He built a strawman so that he could justify screwing us because we "didn't support him". I think the job hunting started long before Egg Bowl week and even before the Alabama game. He's pretty lucky we didn't tell him to just hit the road.

Bulldog1
03-23-2018, 12:56 PM
I agree. He built a strawman so that he could justify screwing us because we "didn't support him". I think the job hunting started long before Egg Bowl week and even before the Alabama game. He's pretty lucky we didn't tell him to just hit the road.

Didn’t we go all week of the Arkansas game without practicing or did I make that up? Seems like I remember the announcers were saying he gave the team the week off.

TrapGame
03-23-2018, 01:09 PM

Which kinda makes you think if he threw out some of the football facility upgrades in the same manner. If they don't build this then I'm out of here. And we built it. It's amazing at the drop off in his coaching and overall demeanor after 2010.

Prediction? Pain.
03-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Lloyd Dobler said it best - "She's gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e7/8f/d8/e78fd850237c6d9a7e35cdabab17e4a8--say-anything-a-pen.jpg

Most spot-on facial expression in movie history.

Unrelated to anything anyone's talking about, but I loved this part in Better Off Dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIG8adITyc

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Didn’t we go all week of the Arkansas game without practicing or did I make that up? Seems like I remember the announcers were saying he gave the team the week off.

We practiced - but non-contact and in helmets and no-pads. People on here were ape-shit about how soft we seemed for the Arky game because of it.

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 02:22 PM

He was ready enough. You could tell even then the offense had a different energy to it and the kids responded to him.

I do agree Russell wasnt terrible but he was a terrible fit for what Mullen wanted. Mullen did a awful job adjusting his scheme to Russell

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 02:24 PM

I never once accused you of an agenda with Mullen. I was pretty critical of Danny 2 gloves

Coach34
03-23-2018, 02:34 PM
I never once accused you of an agenda with Mullen. I was pretty critical of Danny 2 gloves

Liverpool and the other Mullenites did

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?61774-C34-owes-everyone-here-an-apology

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?61763-C34-should-self-impose-a-2-week-ban

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 02:36 PM

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?61774-C34-owes-everyone-here-an-apology

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?61763-C34-should-self-impose-a-2-week-ban

They just had their heads so far up danny 2 gloves's ass they could probably find hev in there

Gutter Cobreh
03-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Oh, but we had a few on here singing the same tune!! You don?t remember the countless threads about how attendance will drive Mullen away and how we sucked as a fanbase??

Here are just a couple if you have the time to reminisce:

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?60928-Ain-t-nobody-in-Starkville/page2&highlight=Attendance

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?60933-There-may-be-20-000-people-here&highlight=Attendance

TrapGame
03-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Mullenites? Didn't God smite them in the Bible? We need to ask PreacherMatt.*****

RougeDawg
03-23-2018, 03:11 PM
I still believe Cohen ended Dan's cozy little deal here at State. Dan could intimidate Strick but not Cohen (hence why he was more apt to take the UF gig). Cohen wanted the country Club broken up, Dan to stop whoring himself and recruiting kicked up a couple of notches. Dan saw his ride was over and bailed at the first legit opportunity. If Strick was still our AD, Dan would still be our HC.

And we have a winner.

Bulldog1
03-23-2018, 03:24 PM
We practiced - but non-contact and in helmets and no-pads. People on here were ape-shit about how soft we seemed for the Arky game because of it.

I knew it was something like that. I was livid too

Turfdawg67
03-23-2018, 05:28 PM
Not to go down this rabbit hole so you can pat your back some more, but you still don't get it. The majority were just saying how your timing sucked not that you were definitely wrong. Just had to be the first with the bad news. Don't see any agenda accusations in those threads. Maybe I missed some of the back story?

RocketDawg
03-23-2018, 05:58 PM

Why in the world did he ever schedule UMass anyway? Probalby most of us didn't even know they had a football team before we played them the first time.

RocketDawg
03-23-2018, 06:00 PM

He must have really been unhappy here if he was considering going to Maryland. That would be a giant step backward, but probably an easier place to win.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Mullenites, lol. MSUites is more like it. Mullen is gone. I have no need to defend him now. Have at him. JoMo is the coach now.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Which kinda makes you think if he threw out some of the football facility upgrades in the same manner. If they don't build this then I'm out of here. And we built it. It's amazing at the drop off in his coaching and overall demeanor after 2010.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Byrne had stayed around as AD.

We gave Dan everything he wanted and overpaid him. The only thing we couldn't give him was a sexy name on the front of the jersey to feed his ego.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 07:18 PM
He must have really been unhappy here if he was considering going to Maryland. That would be a giant step backward, but probably an easier place to win.

I think he used Maryland as leverage. "Hey, Miami I have another job offer from a Big 10 school that's close to my home"...

I think it would be easier to win at MSU than Maryland IMO.

The same with Tennessee probably.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Mullenites, lol. MSUites is more like it. Mullen is gone. I have no need to defend him now. Have at him. JoMo is the coach now.

Groupthink is not the best thing for MSU in any sport. See MSU baseball circa 1992-2008.

Not to mention how silly you look now. Ranging from "Who could we possibly get that's as good as Dan Mullen?" Answer- one of the top OC and offensive minds in all of college football with a guy that Tennessee hired and is one of the best recruiters in the country who knows the Nick Saban system basically begging for our job who WE turned down. That's right- TENNESSEE had to hire a guy we didn't want. To "Dan Mullen to Maryland isn't true".

It's good to support the program- but high standards must be maintained. And if a coach isn't maintaining those standards whether it be wins/losses, recruiting, looking for jobs indiscriminately or whatever the case may be- that coach should be called out on it rather than blindly defended. There's a big difference in support and sticking your head in the sand.

Coach34
03-23-2018, 07:27 PM
I think he used Maryland as leverage. "Hey, Miami I have another job offer from a Big 10 school that's close to my home"...

I think it would be easier to win at MSU than Maryland IMO.

The same with Tennessee probably.

He got interested in Maryland because UnderArmor was supposed to pump some money into the program. The owner is a Maryland guy or something like that. He wanted the Miami and Georgia jobs badly. His AD buddy couldnt help him at Georgia because the money guys wanted Kirby and then Richt backdoored him at Miami at the last second. Whats funny is he promised to bring Manny with him to Miami and they got him anyway but didnt hire Mullen.

Coach34
03-23-2018, 07:28 PM

There's nothing you can defend. You were wrong as usual.

Coach34
03-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Not to go down this rabbit hole so you can pat your back some more, but you still don't get it. The majority were just saying how your timing sucked not that you were definitely wrong. Just had to be the first with the bad news. Don't see any agenda accusations in those threads. Maybe I missed some of the back story?

agenda was the word used by Liverpool, 7, and others when they didnt like what I was saying about Mullen. I supposedly had some type of crazy agenda aagainst him

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 07:35 PM
Groupthink is not the best thing for MSU in any sport. See MSU baseball circa 1992-2008.

Not to mention how silly you look now. Ranging from "Who could we possibly get that's as good as Dan Mullen?" Answer- one of the top OC and offensive minds in all of college football with a guy that Tennessee hired and is one of the best recruiters in the country who knows the Nick Saban system basically begging for our job who WE turned down. That's right- TENNESSEE had to hire a guy we didn't want. To "Dan Mullen to Maryland isn't true".

It's good to support the program- but high standards must be maintained. And if a coach isn't maintaining those standards whether it be wins/losses, recruiting, looking for jobs indiscriminately or whatever the case may be- that coach should be called out on it rather than blindly defended. There's a big difference in support and sticking your head in the sand.

If I think the negative outweighs the positive I'll go after a coach. Mullen did a LOT for MSU, and anyone who says otherwise is just either stupid, bitter, or had a personal grudge. Now that he is gone I see no need to defend him. I thought he had faults too, you would be surprised. I just didn't voice them when he was our coach. If he had started losing I would have. He never really did so I defended him. The only group think I see is in this thread.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 07:37 PM
There's nothing you can defend. You were wrong as usual.

Ok 34, you win. He is gone now so I don't care. Enjoy. You know if JoMo is successful the rumors will start again. I for one certainly hope so.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 07:38 PM
He got interested in Maryland because UnderArmor was supposed to pump some money into the program. The owner is a Maryland guy or something like that. He wanted the Miami and Georgia jobs badly. His AD buddy couldnt help him at Georgia because the money guys wanted Kirby and then Richt backdoored him at Miami at the last second. Whats funny is he promised to bring Manny with him to Miami and they got him anyway but didnt hire Mullen.

That does make sense about UnderArmour.

I was pissed at Miami in 2015 for not taking him. As I said at the time and have been proven correct- that would have been the best thing for all parties involved. I think Dan being sulky hurt us big time in the 2016 recruiting class where he couldn't close on AJ Brown and Lashley among others. I just felt like the past two years I have been kind of listless regarding MSU football because you knew that Dan was not going to win very many big games and was probably going to go job hunting at the end of the year.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 07:40 PM
agenda was the word used by Liverpool, 7, and others when they didnt like what I was saying about Mullen. I supposedly had some type of crazy agenda aagainst him

You WERE awfully sensitive about it. An old preacher at a revival back in the day at my old church had a wise saying: " A bit dog always yelps". :D

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 07:50 PM
If I think the negative outweighs the positive I'll go after a coach. Mullen did a LOT for MSU, and anyone who says otherwise is just either stupid, bitter, or had a personal grudge. Now that he is gone I see no need to defend him. I thought he had faults too, you would be surprised. I just didn't voice them when he was our coach. If he had started losing I would have. He never really did so I defended him. The only group think I see is in this thread.

My "personal grudge" with Dan has to do with him screwing up Dak's senior night and the Egg Bowl last year while he was looking for jobs to stroke his ego. At the end of the day Dan was average as a coach. And Florida is about to find that out too.

At the end of the day I felt like he had way too much power and was given too much leeway especially under Stricklin. Great in games where we had the talent edge- but he made highly questionable decisions that were Les Miles-esque in close games and big games. In fact in one of his biggest wins in 2014 he almost gave the game away because with about 8 minutes of game time left he felt like it was important to play our back-ups and got us in a situation where a Hail Mary would have beaten us when we dominated the game all night long. His recruiting was average at best- thanks to defensive staff it would have been bad. And he didn't always play the best players- anyone remember Holloway up the middle against Alabama in 2015 on the goal line? LOL. And then he decided to insult our intelligence by saying Holloway played more because of his blocking- only to see the offense instantly improve once Aeris took over because of an injury to Holloway. Thank God Aeris finally learned the playbook and how to block that week.**

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 07:59 PM
My "personal grudge" with Dan has to do with him screwing up Dak's senior night and the Egg Bowl last year while he was looking for jobs to stroke his ego. At the end of the day Dan was average as a coach. And Florida is about to find that out too.

At the end of the day I felt like he had way too much power and was given too much leeway especially under Stricklin. Great in games where we had the talent edge- but he made highly questionable decisions that were Les Miles-esque in close games and big games. In fact in one of his biggest wins in 2014 he almost gave the game away because with about 8 minutes of game time left he felt like it was important to play our back-ups and got us in a situation where a Hail Mary would have beaten us when we dominated the game all night long. His recruiting was average at best- thanks to defensive staff it would have been bad. And he didn't always play the best players- anyone remember Holloway up the middle against Alabama in 2015 on the goal line? LOL. And then he decided to insult our intelligence by saying Holloway played more because of his blocking- only to see the offense instantly improve once Aeris took over because of an injury to Holloway. Thank God Aeris finally learned the playbook and how to block that week.**

I actually agree with most of that........I told you would be surprised. I'd add he never could establish a stable staff on the defensive side of the ball. THAT hurt us more than anything you mentioned. The positives still outweighed the negatives. I'm 53, I had pretty much given up on sustained success on the level Mullen brought. I'd never seen it. I also never saw a MSU football coach leave without basically being fired. It was a welcome change. I guess that's why I'm not bitter. I take the long view.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-23-2018, 08:23 PM

Was Morehead in Starkville for the Egg Bowl? My buddies family swears they saw him.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 08:33 PM
Was Morehead in Starkville for the Egg Bowl? My buddies family swears they saw him.

Not that I am aware of. It's possible as quickly as things went down and the fact that Penn State played two days later. And at least didn't let it distract him if true- they hung 66 on Maryland on the road.

Todd4State
03-23-2018, 08:39 PM
I actually agree with most of that........I told you would be surprised. I'd add he never could establish a stable staff on the defensive side of the ball. THAT hurt us more than anything you mentioned. The positives still outweighed the negatives. I'm 53, I had pretty much given up on sustained success on the level Mullen brought. I'd never seen it. I also never saw a MSU football coach leave without basically being fired. It was a welcome change. I guess that's why I'm not bitter. I take the long view.

I think at least some of Dan's perceived success has to do with the rise of the power 5 conferences. See USM- in 1980 they beat one of our best teams ever 42-14. As recent as 1990 we beat them 13-10 on a last second field goal. Fast forward to 2014- we beat them down 49-0 and it should have been 63-0. Then the next year we beat them in Hattiesburg something like 34-17 with Dak not being able to run and I believe USM won their division that year. Then you have the fact that you have the 12th game which is essentially a gimmie against a FCS team and it's easier to make a bowl than ever- a 5-7 team making a bowl was unheard of in years past.

Then the reality is Dan only had one winning SEC season and it clearly shows that he raised the floor but not the ceiling. And I think a lot of average coaches could have done what Dan did at MSU in the same era.

Goldendawg
03-23-2018, 09:11 PM

And that was obviously almost every year he was here (always drew up that butt against bama), and especially 4 of the last 6 games against UNM which were losses. Their players always looked like that wanted it more than Dan's teams in those games.

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 09:15 PM

We paid him basically 5 mil to lose to South Alabama and BYU. He was in hot water in 2013 and 16

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Not that I am aware of. It's possible as quickly as things went down and the fact that Penn State played two days later. And at least didn't let it distract him if true- they hung 66 on Maryland on the road.

If he was then we cant bitch and moan about Mullen sliding into UT's DMs

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Why in the world did he ever schedule UMass anyway? Probalby most of us didn't even know they had a football team before we played them the first time.

An audition for a future HC gig? Face it. Mullen may wind up there in four years after Flarda shitcans him (and Strick) in three years. There, he can keep his Country Club, be close to New Hampshire, run the Boston Marathon, go hiking in Europe, have down time away from coaching/recruiting, and keep a seven figure salary. You know, all the things he did here as an SEC HC that no other SEC school would have put up with.

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2018, 09:18 PM

Under Armour guy was a walkon football player at Maryland. The number I heard was Dan getting 5 Mill per year for 5 years. Also getting facility upgrades to make them more competitive. I think the money had him planning on going but then UGA and Miami both were more of what he wanted.

Goldendawg
03-23-2018, 09:25 PM

Didn't we also take the bus ride to Oxford the day of the game, get beat, and drive back home? P.S. But, but, will he still be the center of attention at the fall SEC meeting with his out of this world, stylish tennis shoes?

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Didn't we also take the bus ride to Oxford the day of the game, get beat, and drive back home? P.S. But, but, will he still be the center of attention at the fall SEC meeting with his out of this world, stylish tennis shoes?
Yeah, but I can?t remember what year. Two of the buses collided with each other on the trip back too.

Coach34
03-23-2018, 09:40 PM

no- we won in Oxford in 2016

Goldendawg
03-23-2018, 10:11 PM
no- we won in Oxford in 2016

My bad. Thought we lost one to them when we made it a day trip. BTW, as I have noted several times, bring back the interlocking MSU. Best looking helmets ever!

BuckyIsAB****
03-23-2018, 10:16 PM

This happened in 14 and 12

Goldendawg
03-23-2018, 10:20 PM
This happened in 14 and 12

There were many losses to UNM under Dan where I could tell they wanted it more than us and were better prepared when the teams and coaches hit the field.

mstatefan91
03-23-2018, 10:20 PM

To be honest, it didn't feel like an agenda against Mullen but an agenda against State football... now, I know that isn't really the case, but it felt that way at the time..

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 10:22 PM
I think at least some of Dan's perceived success has to do with the rise of the power 5 conferences. See USM- in 1980 they beat one of our best teams ever 42-14. As recent as 1990 we beat them 13-10 on a last second field goal. Fast forward to 2014- we beat them down 49-0 and it should have been 63-0. Then the next year we beat them in Hattiesburg something like 34-17 with Dak not being able to run and I believe USM won their division that year. Then you have the fact that you have the 12th game which is essentially a gimmie against a FCS team and it's easier to make a bowl than ever- a 5-7 team making a bowl was unheard of in years past.

Then the reality is Dan only had one winning SEC season and it clearly shows that he raised the floor but not the ceiling. And I think a lot of average coaches could have done what Dan did at MSU in the same era.

The reality is we haven't had that many winning seasons in that short a span since the 40s. It doesn't fit your narrative but it's the truth. I'm greatful to Mullen for several things I thought I'd never see. That being said he is gone. He has moved on. I've moved on. It's time we all did.

Another thing: If JoMo is successful the rumors will start almost immediately. I hope they do!

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2018, 10:23 PM
To be honest, it didn't feel like an agenda against Mullen but an agenda against State football... now, I know that isn't really the case, but it felt that way at the time..

Yep.

SPMT
03-23-2018, 10:47 PM

After we lost which Bama game.......

mstatefan91
03-23-2018, 10:52 PM

lol

Todd4State
03-24-2018, 12:45 AM
The reality is we haven't had that many winning seasons in that short a span since the 40s. It doesn't fit your narrative but it's the truth. I'm greatful to Mullen for several things I thought I'd never see. That being said he is gone. He has moved on. I've moved on. It's time we all did.

Another thing: If JoMo is successful the rumors will start almost immediately. I hope they do!

There is no narrative. You're clueless about the state of college football now compared to decades past.

In 1989- 1990 we had two 5-6 seasons under Felker. In today's game with the added FCS team and added bowls both of those teams are bowl teams- much like Dan's 2011 and 2013 teams.

Between 1991-2000 Jackie would have gone:

1991- 8-5
1992- 8-5
1993- Who knows? Would have been 6-6 at best but with no OT we had two ties. I'm going to split hairs and guess that we beat Arkansas State in OT and lose to Arkansas on the road in Little Rock in OT to go 5-7. This would have been our first non-bowl season in four years by today's standards.
1994- 9-4
1995- 4-8
1996- 6-6
1997- 8-4 This team didn't go bowling despite 7 wins.
1998- 9-5 SEC West Champs
1999- 11-2
2000- 9-4

So, between 1996-2000 Jackie would have gone to four bowls in a row by today's standards. And would have definitively gone to 8 in 10 years while the program would have definitively gone to 10 in 12 years overall. And if things go our way in OT in 1993 it's 9 in 10 years and 11 in 12 years.

The 2000's sucked for us not because of our history but because we were being investigated, on probation, and made a bad hire that still managed to make a bowl in 2007. After 2009 we went right back on our trajectory in the 1990's- except with fewer big time wins than the 1990's.

2009- 5-7
2010- 9-4
2011- 7-6
2012- 8-5
2013- 7-6
2014- 10-3
2015- 9-4
2016- 6-7
2017- 9-4

BuckyIsAB****
03-24-2018, 02:07 AM
There is no narrative. You're clueless about the state of college football now compared to decades past.

In 1989- 1990 we had two 5-6 seasons under Felker. In today's game with the added FCS team and added bowls both of those teams are bowl teams- much like Dan's 2011 and 2013 teams.

Between 1991-2000 Jackie would have gone:

1991- 8-5
1992- 8-5
1993- Who knows? Would have been 6-6 at best but with no OT we had two ties. I'm going to split hairs and guess that we beat Arkansas State in OT and lose to Arkansas on the road in Little Rock in OT to go 5-7. This would have been our first non-bowl season in four years by today's standards.
1994- 9-4
1995- 4-8
1996- 6-6
1997- 8-4 This team didn't go bowling despite 7 wins.
1998- 9-5 SEC West Champs
1999- 11-2
2000- 9-4

So, between 1996-2000 Jackie would have gone to four bowls in a row by today's standards. And would have definitively gone to 8 in 10 years while the program would have definitively gone to 10 in 12 years overall. And if things go our way in OT in 1993 it's 9 in 10 years and 11 in 12 years.

The 2000's sucked for us not because of our history but because we were being investigated, on probation, and made a bad hire that still managed to make a bowl in 2007. After 2009 we went right back on our trajectory in the 1990's- except with fewer big time wins than the 1990's.

2009- 5-7
2010- 9-4
2011- 7-6
2012- 8-5
2013- 7-6
2014- 10-3
2015- 9-4
2016- 6-7
2017- 9-4

Rep. Liverpool thinks we dont deserve no better than living with the shoes.

We should be glad Mullen used us!!! We were number 1 for like 5 weeks dude!!***

TUSK
03-24-2018, 03:30 AM
I gotta ask:

Are you cats pissed at Delane Michaels because he:
1. Left for a better gig?
2. Allowed his search for said gig to compromise his current gig?
3. Shit the bed vs OM and couldn't win "big" games (multiple times)?
4. His demeanor?
5. All of the above/other?

Bulldog1
03-24-2018, 07:36 AM

This year. Hence, the Arkansas game.

Bully13
03-24-2018, 08:10 AM
I gotta ask:

4. His demeanor?

1 NO

2. YES

3. Partially. kinda hard to win when your playing against hired assassins paid to amputate limbs.

4. he's an asshole. nuff said.

msbulldog
03-24-2018, 08:13 AM

I maybe wrong, but I think that was the year Tulane dropped us suddenly and we had to reach out and find a home game to make up. UMass wasthe only one we could find.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Rep. Liverpool thinks we dont deserve no better than living with the shoes.

We should be glad Mullen used us!!! We were number 1 for like 5 weeks dude!!***

Unreal. EVERY coach uses every team. It?s a job and a business. JoMo is doing the same. So did Jackie.

basedog
03-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Mullen is the only Coach in my lifetime not to be fired or resign (see JWS who would have been fired). Now I'm not happy with the way thing went down or how Mullen left but now I could care less. Coaches do what Mullen did more often than not, hell look at our society and things now days are just different, no respect and if you don't agree with someone they start hating, try to dig up information that can destroy ones reputation or even kill folks!

Move on little wanna be sport writers, who really gives a crap why or how he left now. Talk about the present or the NIT or girls basketball, hey our sorry ass baseball program right now. Nothing anyone sys about Mullen will change things, fact is it's very boring as again I could care less and so should most of you.

Btw, I've been following Msu baseball probably longer than most who read or post on ED. This is the first year ever I have no interest about this year. Pretty sad to me.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Mullen is the only Coach in my lifetime not to be fired or resign (see JWS who would have been fired). Now I'm not happy with the way thing went down or how Mullen left but now I could care less. Coaches do what Mullen did more often than not, hell look at our society and things now days are just different, no respect and if you don't agree with someone they start hating, try to dig up information that can destroy ones reputation or even kill folks!

Move on little wanna be sport writers, who really gives a crap why or how he left now. Talk about the present or the NIT or girls basketball, hey our sorry ass baseball program right now. Nothing anyone sys about Mullen will change things, fact is it's very boring as again I could care less and so should most of you.

Btw, I've been following Msu baseball probably longer than most who read or post on ED. This is the first year ever I have no interest about this year. Pretty sad to me.

Yep. I'd add that JWS was gong to be fired. He in effect was.

basedog
03-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Yep. I'd add that JWS was gong to be fired. He in effect was.

JWS just was burn out for many reasons.

Btw, speaking of history, here is a stat that was kinda surprising to me. Msu overall baseball winning % just for Sec play = 53%. Of the other 13 Sec schools we have a winning record over 8 other Sec schools.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Msu overall baseball winning % just for Sec play = 53%. Of the other 13 Sec schools we have a winning record over 8 other Sec schools.

Now that’s just downright depressing.

Coach34
03-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Our fans have a very inflated view of our baseball program vs what we really are

BuckyIsAB****
03-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Unreal. EVERY coach uses every team. It?s a job and a business. JoMo is doing the same. So did Jackie.

No they dont. According to you and others Mullen was never using us to begin with

BuckyIsAB****
03-24-2018, 11:34 AM
JWS just was burn out for many reasons.

Btw, speaking of history, here is a stat that was kinda surprising to me. Msu overall baseball winning % just for Sec play = 53%. Of the other 13 Sec schools we have a winning record over 8 other Sec schools.

I'd say most teams in the SEC arent much better than that historically. Maybe LSU. Winning records over 8 of 13 aint bad in the best league in the country

MagicDawg
03-24-2018, 11:37 AM
Yawn.
C'mawn.
He gawn.
Moving awn.

Get off my lawn.

BrunswickDawg
03-24-2018, 12:19 PM

Good post Todd, but I'm going to push back a little on the more "Big Wins" in the 90s. I consider "Big Wins" as SEC games, Top 25 wins, P5 Regular season wins, and Bowls.
JWS - 42-60-1 (.408) vs.SEC; 9-34 (.209) v. Top 25; 5-4 (.556) v. P5 in regular season; and 2-4 (.333) in Bowls
CDM - 31-41 (.431) v SEC; 7-33 (.175) v. Top 25 (in 4 fewer seasons); 1-3 (.250) v. P5; and 6-2 (.750) in Bowls

The only real difference is Jackie beat Alabama and Dan didn't, and Dan played far tougher SEC competition season to season.

Goldendawg
03-24-2018, 12:39 PM
I gotta ask:

4. His demeanor?

Just 2 and 3. Hail State!

Westdawg
03-24-2018, 12:44 PM
I gotta ask:

4. His demeanor?

MOST Definitely #2 and somewhat on #3.
On the former, this is now apparent that it happened MULTIPLE TIMES over his final 4 years or so. And that?s not cool at all

Bully13
03-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Good post Todd, but I'm going to push back a little on the more "Big Wins" in the 90s. I consider "Big Wins" as SEC games, Top 25 wins, P5 Regular season wins, and Bowls.
JWS - 42-60-1 (.408) vs.SEC; 9-34 (.209) v. Top 25; 5-4 (.556) v. P5 in regular season; and 2-4 (.333) in Bowls
CDM - 31-41 (.431) v SEC; 7-33 (.175) v. Top 25 (in 4 fewer seasons); 1-3 (.250) v. P5; and 6-2 (.750) in Bowls

The only real difference is Jackie beat Alabama and Dan didn't, and Dan played far tougher SEC competition season to season.

Deldte

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2018, 01:58 PM
No they dont. According to you and others Mullen was never using us to begin with

Yes they do. They use us and we use them. That's the way the world works.

Todd4State
03-24-2018, 09:05 PM
I gotta ask:

4. His demeanor?

1. No.
2. YES. Look, I get that people want to better themselves and we all have probably looked for other jobs at one point in time. But there is a right and a wrong way to do it. Dan did it the wrong way in just about every aspect. I feel like he made it more about "look at all these people that want ME" by putting his name out there all the time. At any rate, you should not let your job search affect how you perform at your current job and he did. Allegedly we went through the Arkansas week in shirts and shells. Then he was talking to both Tennessee and Florida- and Stricklin asked for permission to speak to Dan and Cohen told Scott not until after the Egg Bowl- but there is evidence that Stricklin indeed talked to Florida before the Egg Bowl.
3. Yes. He completely lost me after he screwed up Dak's senior day. That said, he did technically leave with a winning record against Ole Miss- so it's more accurate to say losing to Ole Miss two of his last three years. I'll get to the other big games in just a minute.
4. No. I didn't care about that.
5. As far as the big games what frustrated me was the fact that he showed me multiple times that he could not manage a close game in a high profile situation. But I felt like there were things that he did that severely hindered us and to be quite frank we are not a program that can go out there with one hand tied behind our back and reach our full potential as a team. This includes- not playing the best players enough or using them in ways that didn't fit their skill set like Kivon Coman and Brandon Holloway among others. Not recruiting well and not appearing to want to do much to improve that. Obviously not recruiting well limits what we can put out on the field. Not holding his friends on the offensive side of the ball accountable whether it be for poor coaching performance, poor recruiting or both. Meanwhile the defensive staff was constantly blamed for the team's shortcomings creating a revolving door of DC's. He also paid very little attention to special teams or did weird things with special teams which I feel like is another area where we can not afford to be poor in.

So, as I said I was completely done with him after 2015 and wanted him gone at that point. I felt like he had his head up his ass, wouldn't improve, and on top of it all it was clear to me that he didn't want to be here. Even worse we made it relatively hard for anyone to take him because we overpaid him. What is even more frustrating is he showed us what he could do if he is focused at times even after 2015.

I'll say this - if Dan is still around I would expect us to 9-3 or 8-4 at best. Now I am expecting 10-2.

Todd4State
03-24-2018, 09:08 PM

I just consider big wins very broadly- top 25 wins. It should be noted that Jackie's last three seasons skew his SEC and overall win totals when you compare them to today.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Yawn.
C'mawn.
He gawn.
Moving awn.

Get off my lawn.

Yep.

BuckyIsAB****
03-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Yes they do. They use us and we use them. That's the way the world works.

Mike Gundy talked to UT but he didnt do it the day before they played oklahoma. So is it you're wrong or Mullen was just sorry? In Liverpools world we shouldve built mullen a statue and should feel grateful he blessed us with his presence for 9 years

CrazyEyeKilla
03-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Nevermind

bulldawg28
03-25-2018, 06:11 AM
I just consider big wins very broadly- top 25 wins. It should be noted that Jackie's last three seasons skew his SEC and overall win totals when you compare them to today.

There is no skewing he sucked it up big time during those years. It is exactly what it is. Your making excuses. His entire body of work is less than Mullen.

ababyatemydingo
03-25-2018, 07:14 AM
Do you understand the definition of skewing? And apparently you didn?t watch much MSU football in the 90?s. I know sitting my ass in the Georgia dome for the sec championship game felt a lot better than sitting my ass in Bryant Denny in 2014.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Ok - so if you focus on Top 25 only, Dan still had almost as many T25 wins in fewer seasons. The difference is we were playing 4-5 T25 teams a year under Dan and only 2-3 a year under Jackie. It created a perception of fewer Big Wins under Dan.

And before you go there - yes, 10 of those losses were in Jackie?s last 3 seasons. But, 2 of those wins were in season 10 of 13 - which Dan didn?t have here. So factoring that in, comparing 9 v 9 - Jackie was 7-24 and Dan 7-33. Dan played a far tougher schedule and had the same # of Top 25 wins as Jackie.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Do you understand the definition of skewing? And apparently you didn?t watch much MSU football in the 90?s. I know sitting my ass in the Georgia dome for the sec championship game felt a lot better than sitting my ass in Bryant Denny in 2014.
But my ass was much happier leaving the Auburn game in ?14 than leaving the Georgia Dome in ?98.

ababyatemydingo
03-25-2018, 09:56 AM
I wasn?t replying to you. But if you must, how many big games did Mullen win? vs how many big games did Sherrill win? Dan padded his record with a ***** schedule. And shat the bed in almost every game where his gonads were on the line and he could have made a statement. In 2014, auburn began the season vastly overrated. As usual. Before our game the only team worth a crap that they had beaten was LSU. And that was debatable. Auburn ended the year 8-5. And lost 4 if their last 7. So yeah, that auburn win wasn?t the Mack daddy it appeared at the time.

Coach34
03-25-2018, 10:16 AM
But my ass was much happier leaving the Auburn game in ?14 than leaving the Georgia Dome in ?98.

But I've never felt as good as a fan as the second we ran out of that tunnel in Atlanta in 1998.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2018, 12:13 PM
I wasn?t replying to you. But if you must, how many big games did Mullen win? vs how many big games did Sherrill win? Dan padded his record with a ***** schedule. And shat the bed in almost every game where his gonads were on the line and he could have made a statement. In 2014, auburn began the season vastly overrated. As usual. Before our game the only team worth a crap that they had beaten was LSU. And that was debatable. Auburn ended the year 8-5. And lost 4 if their last 7. So yeah, that auburn win wasn?t the Mack daddy it appeared at the time.

I always love how many of our fans try to find ways to downplay accomplishments after the fact. If we had lost that AU game in ?14 and they had finished 9-4 or 10-3 people would claim that we shit the bed again against a Top 25 team.

Jackie played one less OOC cupcake team a year - but also had downright shitty LSU, USC, and KY programs on the schedule every year. Jackie was a combined 16-21 against those 3, not to mention the every year WTF losses to Arkansas State, Troy, or whoever.

Add to it, under the ever shifting metric of ?Big Win? - only one of Jackie?s wins against Bama counts as a ?Big Game? - 1996 - because the other 3 wins came against Bama teams who weren?t ranked (see, I can shit on big wins just like you).

And again - in 9 seasons Jackie won the same number of games against Top 25 teams - 7 wins - as Dan. Dan faced 10 more Top 25 opponents, so tell me again who benefited from a ***** schedule.

I?m not trying to knock Jackie either, or defend Dan. It?s just simple truth of statistics and how memories influence our perceptions.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2018, 12:14 PM
But I've never felt as good as a fan as the second we ran out of that tunnel in Atlanta in 1998.

Agree totally.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 12:34 PM
1. No.
2. YES. Look, I get that people want to better themselves and we all have probably looked for other jobs at one point in time. But there is a right and a wrong way to do it. Dan did it the wrong way in just about every aspect. I feel like he made it more about "look at all these people that want ME" by putting his name out there all the time. At any rate, you should not let your job search affect how you perform at your current job and he did. Allegedly we went through the Arkansas week in shirts and shells. Then he was talking to both Tennessee and Florida- and Stricklin asked for permission to speak to Dan and Cohen told Scott not until after the Egg Bowl- but there is evidence that Stricklin indeed talked to Florida before the Egg Bowl.
3. Yes. He completely lost me after he screwed up Dak's senior day. That said, he did technically leave with a winning record against Ole Miss- so it's more accurate to say losing to Ole Miss two of his last three years. I'll get to the other big games in just a minute.
4. No. I didn't care about that.
5. As far as the big games what frustrated me was the fact that he showed me multiple times that he could not manage a close game in a high profile situation. But I felt like there were things that he did that severely hindered us and to be quite frank we are not a program that can go out there with one hand tied behind our back and reach our full potential as a team. This includes- not playing the best players enough or using them in ways that didn't fit their skill set like Kivon Coman and Brandon Holloway among others. Not recruiting well and not appearing to want to do much to improve that. Obviously not recruiting well limits what we can put out on the field. Not holding his friends on the offensive side of the ball accountable whether it be for poor coaching performance, poor recruiting or both. Meanwhile the defensive staff was constantly blamed for the team's shortcomings creating a revolving door of DC's. He also paid very little attention to special teams or did weird things with special teams which I feel like is another area where we can not afford to be poor in.

So, as I said I was completely done with him after 2015 and wanted him gone at that point. I felt like he had his head up his ass, wouldn't improve, and on top of it all it was clear to me that he didn't want to be here. Even worse we made it relatively hard for anyone to take him because we overpaid him. What is even more frustrating is he showed us what he could do if he is focused at times even after 2015.

I'll say this - if Dan is still around I would expect us to 9-3 or 8-4 at best. Now I am expecting 10-2.

Who do you expect us to lose to beside Alabama? I think we have a good chance of surprising them in Tuscaloosa.

Losing to South Alabama was another big shortcoming. And not playing Fitz but 3 plays to start the game. The entire season was a disaster.

What happened to screw up Dak's senior day? I assume a loss to Ole Miss?

Todd4State
03-25-2018, 01:54 PM
There is no skewing he sucked it up big time during those years. It is exactly what it is. Your making excuses. His entire body of work is less than Mullen.

Actually it looks the same at worst even if you include his last three seasons.

Todd4State
03-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Ok - so if you focus on Top 25 only, Dan still had almost as many T25 wins in fewer seasons. The difference is we were playing 4-5 T25 teams a year under Dan and only 2-3 a year under Jackie. It created a perception of fewer Big Wins under Dan.

And before you go there - yes, 10 of those losses were in Jackie?s last 3 seasons. But, 2 of those wins were in season 10 of 13 - which Dan didn?t have here. So factoring that in, comparing 9 v 9 - Jackie was 7-24 and Dan 7-33. Dan played a far tougher schedule and had the same # of Top 25 wins as Jackie.

The thing about it is PERCEPTION is everything in football. It's WHO you beat. And Dan finishing up the year poorly in his best seasons other than 2010 hurt that big time. The fact of the matter is if we go 12-1 but that loss is to Ole Miss it's not going to be seen the same as a 12-1 season with a loss to Auburn.

And about Jackie having the same amount of wins in the top 25 despite playing fewer games against top 25 teams shows that he was better because he was beating a top 25 team essentially one out of every four times (rounded to make the numbers pretty whereas Dan did it one out of every five times (rounded to make the numbers pretty)

Todd4State
03-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Who do you expect us to lose to beside Alabama? I think we have a good chance of surprising them in Tuscaloosa.

Losing to South Alabama was another big shortcoming. And not playing Fitz but 3 plays to start the game. The entire season was a disaster.

What happened to screw up Dak's senior day? I assume a loss to Ole Miss?

I don't expect us to lose to anyone other than Alabama. I could see us getting beat potentially by Auburn, LSU on the road, maybe A&M and Arkansas become better with better coaches? Who knows?

South Alabama to me was everything wrong with Dan Mullen rolled into one game.

Dan was trying to get the Miami job and had interviewed in person in Miami while he gave the team the day off. It wasn't just the loss- it was what exacerbated it. We came out flat and Dan didn't look like he gave a shit. And then followed it up postgame with "we outscored them in the second half."

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Dan was trying to get the Miami job and had interviewed in person in Miami while he gave the team the day off. It wasn't just the loss- it was what exacerbated it. We came out flat and Dan didn't look like he gave a shit. And then followed it up postgame with "we outscored them in the second half."

Not to mention that Egg Bowl was for a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Instead of getting a relatively easy matchup with Okie State and ringing cowbells on Bourbon Street, we got the Belk in Charlotte.

Todd4State
03-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Not to mention that Egg Bowl was for a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Instead of getting a relatively easy matchup with Okie State and ringing cowbells on Bourbon Street, we got the Belk in Charlotte.

Exactly. Which would have been a potential program changer on a National level especially one year coming off of the Orange Bowl. And actually it was two years in a row where a loss cost us a Sugar Bowl bid.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 02:53 PM
The thing about it is PERCEPTION is everything in football. It's WHO you beat. And Dan finishing up the year poorly in his best seasons other than 2010 hurt that big time. The fact of the matter is if we go 12-1 but that loss is to Ole Miss it's not going to be seen the same as a 12-1 season with a loss to Auburn.

And about Jackie having the same amount of wins in the top 25 despite playing fewer games against top 25 teams shows that he was better because he was beating a top 25 team essentially one out of every four times (rounded to make the numbers pretty whereas Dan did it one out of every five times (rounded to make the numbers pretty)

I think that's only true in the state of Mississippi. A loss to Auburn is more forgiveable on a national level because they're the better of the two teams, and are peceived that way. Honestly, to me the OM game is just another important conference game. I'd much rather beat Alabama. It all depends on where you live and what you're exposed to on a daily basis.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 02:56 PM
I don't expect us to lose to anyone other than Alabama. I could see us getting beat potentially by Auburn, LSU on the road, maybe A&M and Arkansas become better with better coaches? Who knows?

South Alabama to me was everything wrong with Dan Mullen rolled into one game.

Including the shorts. :)

Let's not forget to throw in the two UMass games. We almost lost the first one, and looked terrible in the home game.

I really liked Dan when he was with us, and think that he contributed immensely to our football program. Yes, we overpaid him, but we had to. He gave us new hope, and that's sticking with us. Coming off Croom, he was a godsend. If he'd only left in a more respectable way ....

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 02:59 PM

We also lost a trip to Atlanta under Sherrill by losing to Arkansas on a missed chip shot field goal, in the snow, sleet, and mud. Went to Shreveport instead, and got snowed on again. At least we won that one. Sherrill also lost to Troy State. I guess all coaches will lose a seemingly unlosable game at some point.

Todd4State
03-25-2018, 03:25 PM
I think that's only true in the state of Mississippi. A loss to Auburn is more forgiveable on a national level because they're the better of the two teams, and are peceived that way. Honestly, to me the OM game is just another important conference game. I'd much rather beat Alabama. It all depends on where you live and what you're exposed to on a daily basis.

I don't think so. See Michigan-Ohio State. Georgia-Georgia Tech. Florida-Florida State. Heck, if you are the coach at Jackson Prep you have to beat JA. The rivalries are what make football fun- but for it to be fun for your fans you HAVE to beat your rival. To me, the Egg Bowl isn't just another conference game. It is THE most important game. The bottom line is we beat them- it's good for us and bad for them. If you are a coach you have to know who your rivals and are you have to beat them at least somewhat regularly. Even Alabama winning the National Title this year- having lost to Auburn takes some of the luster off of it at least a little bit. For us to be the best school in the state- we have to beat them in football. That's not obsession- that's just the reality of the situation.

Todd4State
03-25-2018, 03:27 PM
We also lost a trip to Atlanta under Sherrill by losing to Arkansas on a missed chip shot field goal, in the snow, sleet, and mud. Went to Shreveport instead, and got snowed on again. At least we won that one. Sherrill also lost to Troy State. I guess all coaches will lose a seemingly unlosable game at some point.

I'd say it's acceptable once every 10 years. Jackie was not good in that regard. We tied Arkansas State before OT existed. Also lost to ULM, Louisiana Tech, Troy, and Tulane. And the one time he beat Troy it was such a bad performance most consider it a loss.

RocketDawg
03-25-2018, 03:32 PM
I'd say it's acceptable once every 10 years. Jackie was not good in that regard. We tied Arkansas State before OT existed. Also lost to ULM, Louisiana Tech, Troy, and Tulane. And the one time he beat Troy it was such a bad performance most consider it a loss.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed Jackie being our coach. He wasn't good from 2001 onward, but I think his wife was sick. Hard to believe we replace him with Croom though. But as bad as he was, Croom beat Alabama twice, and one of those was Saban if I recall correctly.

BrunswickDawg
03-25-2018, 04:00 PM

You are right, football is about PERCEPTION - which is why I said I push back on the perception that Jackie was a better Big Game coach. The facts show he beat the same number of Top 25 teams in 9 seasons. He won a higher percentage of Top 25 games, but he also faced 1 less Top 25 team per season. The fact is at either of their %, I'd rate both of them as being pretty bad against Top 25 teams.

And if PERCEPTION is about who you beat, it is also about who you lose to. Jackie constantly, annually, lost to shit teams. '91 - Memphis (5-6); '92 - LSU (2-9), USC (5-6); '93 - Memphis (6-5), LSU (5-6), Arky St tie (2-8-1); '94 - LSU (4-7); '95 - LA-Monroe (2-9), USC (4-6-1); '96 La Tech (6-5), Kentucky (4-7), Arkansas (4-7); '97 - Arkansas (4-7); '98 - OSU (5-6), LSU (4-7); '99 - none; '00 - Arkansas (6-6); '01 - Troy (7-4); '02 USC (5-7); '03 - Tulane (5-7), Kentucky (4-8). For all his faults, Dan lost a total of 1 game like those in 9 seasons, while Jackie had 1 season where he didn't lose to some random crap team. For all the "perception", tell me what losing to teams like that does to your reputation.

CovertDawg
03-25-2018, 04:28 PM
First question in the postgame press conference after Florida plays at Mississippi State: Do you think the Mississippi State players were extra motivated by the fact you were texting about other jobs the night before the Egg Bowl? Do you believe they viewed this as betrayal on your part?

Coach34
03-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Thats when I was ready for Mullen to go. Sugar Bowl on the line and he is working a deal to be Miami's next coach. Maddest I've been about a State loss in a long damn time

BuckyIsAB****
03-25-2018, 05:20 PM
First question in the postgame press conference after Florida plays at Mississippi State: Do you think the Mississippi State players were extra motivated by the fact you were texting about other jobs the night before the Egg Bowl? Do you believe they viewed this as betrayal on your part?

''Ahhhh yeahhh wellllll we were kinda herky jerky defense really let us down. We outscored them in the 3rd quarter''