PDA

View Full Version : Offense is getting ridiculous

Will James
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM
The rules need a shift in the defense's favor.

Baylor 864 yds
Oregon 755 yds

The "big boys" are pulling away from the rest because their D can make up for how D is called now where the next level down is completely inept. The offensive explosion in football has left me meh. No drama knowing that an easy score is coming right up.

Baseball is king.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Baseball is king.
Yes. I can't wait for baseball

thf24
10-05-2013, 11:52 PM
I've thought the same thing from time to time in a general sense, but what's the specific solution? Putting restrictions on offense will also result in the elite teams pulling further away. Innovative spread and option offenses are the only thing giving the little guys a chance nowadays. And I don't know what you could change on defense to shift the advantage back towards it outside of removing a few penalties or putting another man on the field.

Todd4State
10-06-2013, 02:04 AM
I've thought the same thing from time to time in a general sense, but what's the specific solution? Putting restrictions on offense will also result in the elite teams pulling further away. Innovative spread and option offenses are the only thing giving the little guys a chance nowadays. And I don't know what you could change on defense to shift the advantage back towards it outside of removing a few penalties or putting another man on the field.

How about actually letting defenses tackle people without getting ejected?

MarketingBully01
10-06-2013, 02:11 AM
How about actually calling a false start when the OL rise back up. If you enforce some of the rules already in play it might actually make things interesting.

Will James
10-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Putting restrictions on offense will also result in the elite teams pulling further away.

I actually think it's the opposite. Not so much restrictions on offense, but taking the restrictions off of the D.

Coach 57
10-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Football now is in favor of the offense. One of the biggest contributors of WRs dropping passes in a cover 2 or zone was the fact that if you caught a seam or a post the fear & intimidation of the S sitting there ready to blow your head off was enough for 2 things 1.) as a coach don't put your slot or TE in a position to get carted off the field & 2.) good ole alligator arms. With the insertion of the new rule changes it keeps the S afraid to lay the wood. It definitely castrates Nikoe. The fear & intimidation fact he used to have is gone plus he reacts terribly slow on the deep plays.

messageboardsuperhero
10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I may be in the minority, but I'm getting sick of the constant hurry up offense bullshit in football. There is no joy or excitement in watching a team score a touchdown when you know that they are going to put up 60 points anyway. It's just cheap and way too easy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Art Briles or Chip Kelly here in a heartbeat, but from a neutral spectator's standpoint, the gimmicky, hurry-up shit has just gotten old. I'm with Nick Saban: Do we really want football to be a continuous game? Right now, most people play football exactly like basketball.

chef dixon
10-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Baseball is king.

No.....

Football is head and shoulders a more entertaining sport and America agrees. Only an MSU fan would say the opposite.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I may be in the minority, but I'm getting sick of the constant hurry up offense bullshit in football. There is no joy or excitement in watching a team score a touchdown when you know that they are going to put up 60 points anyway. It's just cheap and way too easy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Art Briles or Chip Kelly here in a heartbeat, but from a neutral spectator's standpoint, the gimmicky, hurry-up shit has just gotten old. I'm with Nick Saban: Do we really want football to be a continuous game? Right now, most people play football exactly like basketball.

If you have superior talent than your opponent, you should want to run more plays. That's why UF's approach doesn't make much sense in todays world. Having said that, when Baylor ran into KSU last year, they got shut down and when Oregon ran into Stanford they got shut down. But they will continue to rack up huge numbers against inferior competition. We did the same against Troy.

thf24
10-06-2013, 10:29 AM
How about actually letting defenses tackle people without getting ejected?

While the "targeting" rule pisses me off as much as anyone else, it doesn't affect the game on a large scale that much. The Saturday before last (9/28) I heard a commentator say there had been somewhere around 30 targeting calls to that point across the FBS. When you consider the number of games and plays run so far this year, that's a minuscule amount. Yes, it definitely unfairly impacts that particular game (as well as the next game for the penalized team), but it doesn't change a whole lot in regards to the balance between offense and defense on the whole. It would take wholesale changes across the board to do that.

I actually think it's the opposite. Not so much restrictions on offense, but taking the restrictions off of the D.

Again I agree, but what could be done that would both have an effect but also not swing the advantage too heavily in favor of the defense? One thing that comes to mind is to instate NFL pass coverage rules (defense can initiate contact out to five yards beyond the line of scrimmage) which would slow down air raid offenses, but even that might be too drastic.

dawgs
10-06-2013, 10:59 AM
If you have superior talent than your opponent, you should want to run more plays. That's why UF's approach doesn't make much sense in todays world. Having said that, when Baylor ran into KSU last year, they got shut down and when Oregon ran into Stanford they got shut down. But they will continue to rack up huge numbers against inferior competition. We did the same against Troy.

And Oregon and Baylor put up big numbers on other relatively good Ds. Sometimes it's just as simple as having a bad game, just like a Bama-style offense can have a bad game.

As for offenses, hurry up is just an evolution to take a tactical advantage. The only way to stop it is to change the way clocks work and have a mandatory time frame to rotate players (how'd that go over in the final minute when I team is running a 2 min drill?). I think the evolution of fascinating to watch develop and I was hoping Mullen was going to go hurry up and be on the cutting edge of it when we hired him, but instead he wants to play bama's pace of offense without players anywhere near as good as Bama. A mediocre athlete can be whipped into great shape, but if you take away the pace of play, the mediocre athlete is going to get his ass whipped by a fresh stud athlete every time.

FlabLoser
10-06-2013, 11:01 AM

The B1G is for you. There are still a few of them that run your style.

FlabLoser
10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
And Oregon and Baylor put up big numbers on other relatively good Ds. Sometimes it's just as simple as having a bad game, just like a Bama-style offense can have a bad game.

As for offenses, hurry up is just an evolution to take a tactical advantage. The only way to stop it is to change the way clocks work and have a mandatory time frame to rotate players (how'd that go over in the final minute when I team is running a 2 min drill?). I think the evolution of fascinating to watch develop and I was hoping Mullen was going to go hurry up and be on the cutting edge of it when we hired him, but instead he wants to play bama's pace of offense without players anywhere near as good as Bama. A mediocre athlete can be whipped into great shape, but if you take away the pace of play, the mediocre athlete is going to get his ass whipped by a fresh stud athlete every time.

After defenses get small and fast enough to run with tempo offenses, somebody is going to go big & smashmouth on offense. They'll be able to push defenses around at will and match every scoring drive, eating clock, and resting their own defense.

The pendulum will swing back.