PDA

View Full Version : Very insightful Malik Newman article from KUsports.com

Lance Harbor
03-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Malik seems to be maturing, just sucks it isn't happening at State. (Queue the Haters)

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/mar/20/rocky-yet-rewarding-evolution-kus-malik-newman/l;;ll.l]

msstate7
03-21-2018, 12:48 PM
I guess I am a hater bc I would love nothing more than bouncing Kansas and Baylor on the way to the final 4 next season.

thf24
03-21-2018, 01:02 PM
I don't suppose it would be reasonable to expect any admittance that they were blaming the wrong people when they left us, but without that, I'm still not convinced either Malik or Horatio really get it.

drunkernhelldawg
03-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Malik seems to be maturing, just sucks it isn't happening at State. (Queue the Haters)

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/mar/20/rocky-yet-rewarding-evolution-kus-malik-newman/l;;ll.l]

I'm happy for him. Some kids mature faster, but you can't be too severe on a kid in his first year out of high school.

msstatelp1
03-21-2018, 01:29 PM

When he was here neither he nor his father had to listen to Howland because they always had the option of going somewhere else. When he transferred to Kansas it became a "make or break" so he had to do what Self wanted to get playing time. If he had transferred from Kansas he risked being labeled a problem child that couldn't make it in college or the NBA. If he had stayed here and done what Howland wanted him to do I believe he'd have reached the same level of maturity.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 01:32 PM
When he was here neither he nor his father had to listen to Howland because they always had the option of going somewhere else. When he transferred to Kansas it became a "make or break" so he had to do what Self wanted to get playing time. If he had transferred from Kansas he risked being labeled a problem child that couldn't make it in college or the NBA. If he had stayed here and done what Howland wanted him to do I believe he'd have reached the same level of maturity.

He also would have had to sit out another year and probably at a lower school. I guess they figured it wasn't worth transferring and sitting out at Mid Tenn St than just doing what Self wanted him to do.

Lance Harbor
03-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Really good point. Even Daddy had to stop being the helicopter dad when the only option is the Baltics with the Balls.

Harrydawg
03-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Great article, Malik had to face growing up and getting 500+ Miles away from his helicopter father didn’t hurt

Ezsoil
03-22-2018, 08:07 AM
I guess I am a hater bc I would love nothing more than bouncing Kansas and Baylor on the way to the final 4 next season.

Baylor is losing waaaayyy to much to be a tournament team next year....

msstate7
03-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Baylor is losing waaaayyy to much to be a tournament team next year....
Them sucking would be even better haha

drunkernhelldawg
03-22-2018, 08:52 AM
Great article. My favorite part was that Malik thought that he had a good game if his shots went in, but he had to learn that you could have a good game via defense, rebounding, and creating even when the shots aren't falling. That's huge in the college game.

LC Dawg
03-22-2018, 09:12 AM

Sounds more like Horatio is maturing, or just wising up and acknowledging this is his kid's last chance so maybe daddy should get out of the way. Malik was never the problem, Horatio was.

Dawg61
03-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Newman wouldn't be a starter for us. He'd sub in with Carter and Holman off the bench.

drunkernhelldawg
03-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Newman wouldn't be a starter for us. He'd sub in with Carter and Holman off the bench.

No need to say that. Nobody believes that.

Relardo Sidney
03-22-2018, 09:35 AM

I believe dat, Newman ain't tough don't like to get durty, he soft, use hand lotion an shit

msstate7
03-22-2018, 09:35 AM

IDK... I will take peters and nick over Malik

Dawg61
03-22-2018, 09:38 AM

It's the truth. Who you benching for Newman?

thf24
03-22-2018, 09:41 AM
IDK... I will take peters and nick over Malik

I think Newman's 40% 3 point shooting would have justified starting him over early season Peters given our shooting slump through the first half of the season. However, it's also valid to assume whatever caused that collective drought would likely also have affected Newman as well, in which case I also would take Nick and Peters.

Bulldog1
03-22-2018, 09:48 AM

I believe. He would be 6th man AT BEST

sonofozarka
03-22-2018, 10:34 AM

I'm not sure either. He'd definitely get a lot, maybe even equal minutes to Q, Nick, and Peters, which would slightly decrease their overall minutes and decrease Carter's.

He's a slightly better natural scorer with more variety in his offensive game (mid range, better spot up 3 pt shooter) than our top 3 guards, but he's worse in every other aspect of the game by far.

Our top 3 guards are vastly better on defense, and are head and shoulders more quick, powerful, and tough which makes all 3 better at getting into the lane, getting to the rim whenever they want, and better in transition.

drunkernhelldawg
03-22-2018, 10:47 AM
It's the truth. Who you benching for Newman?

We do have great guards, but Newman is a great guard at another level. I don't bench anybody, but he gets as much or more playing time than the others. This shows that we were actually fortunate he left. His presence would have severely changed the way the team we have now developed.

Most of our losses were winable games. He might have made some difference. But I'm happy.

BuckyIsAB****
03-22-2018, 10:50 AM
I believe dat, Newman ain't tough don't like to get durty, he soft, use hand lotion an shit

YES

Lance Harbor
03-22-2018, 10:56 AM
That's just silly. State is one of the worst 3 point shooting team in SEC.

I believe. He would be 6th man AT BEST

Bulldog1
03-22-2018, 11:02 AM
That's just silly. State is one of the worst 3 point shooting team in SEC.

Did you watch the last 10 games? Who would you replace? Lamar- No
Nick- No, Q- No,

Dawg61
03-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Newman wouldn't of meshed well with the other players with his shy standoffish ora mixed with diva expectations. Peters and Stapleton would be more likely to beat his ass than pass him the ball ever.

drunkernhelldawg
03-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Newman wouldn't of meshed well with the other players with his shy standoffish ora mixed with diva expectations. Peters and Stapleton would be more likely to beat his ass than pass him the ball ever.

That's the bottom line. He'd be the most talented player on our team, but he would screw up the chemistry that we finally have. That's why we're better off without him, not because he's not as good as the other players.

chef dixon
03-22-2018, 01:05 PM
That's the bottom line. He'd be the most talented player on our team, but he would screw up the chemistry that we finally have. That's why we're better off without him, not because he's not as good as the other players.

I disagree about most talented. Peters would be by a mile. Nick is arguably more talented than Malik. Malik biggest strength is his shooting and everything else he is no better than average.

basedog
03-22-2018, 01:34 PM
I could care less about Newman but I wish him no bad luck or harm. In saying that, I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about his progress. He had no choice but to change his ways when he left Starkville, so did Webster. He and Webster put all their eggs in one basket with a pro career, that is a risky deal so if it doesn't pan out what would be next?

drunkernhelldawg
03-22-2018, 01:49 PM
I disagree about most talented. Peters would be by a mile. Nick is arguably more talented than Malik. Malik biggest strength is his shooting and everything else he is no better than average.

Peters and Nick are awesome for sure. I think it's a stretch for any college player to beat Newman's talent "by a mile," but Peters may well be better than Newman. He certainly is better for us than Newman, and that's what matters to me.

chef dixon
03-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Peters and Nick are awesome for sure. I think it's a stretch for any college player to beat Newman's talent "by a mile," but Peters may well be better than Newman. He certainly is better for us than Newman, and that's what matters to me.

I guess what I mean is Peters handles and ability to get by his defender are already better than most point guards in the NBA, he just needs some coaching and fine tuning. Malik has nothing that 75% of NBA guards don?t already have.

thf24
03-22-2018, 02:13 PM

What exactly makes Newman so talented? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but at this point in his career in my observation he's an average- to slightly below average-sized 2, shoots 40% from 3 (the standard for a "good" shooter), has a good mid-range game, isn't particularly athletic, isn't particularly good inside, and doesn't play good defense. He's shaping up to be a pretty good college player, but I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing from a talent perspective.

Lance Harbor
03-22-2018, 02:31 PM
If you are going to cherry pick the last ten games then your argument is even more ridiculous. For comparison: MSU guards are playing for the NIT and playing well vs Malik in the Sweet 16. Newman is averaging 22 a game, shooting 50+% from the field and from three, playing great defense and just won the Big12 regular and conference tourney and about to play (and prob beat) Clemson to head to the Elite 8.

You can speculate on team chemistry all day, but none of that is rooted in any fact/reality. Otherwise enjoy the maroon meth.

Did you watch the last 10 games? Who would you replace? Lamar- No
Nick- No, Q- No,

drunkernhelldawg
03-22-2018, 02:43 PM
What exactly makes Newman so talented? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but at this point in his career in my observation he's an average- to slightly below average-sized 2, shoots 40% from 3 (the standard for a "good" shooter), has a good mid-range game, isn't particularly athletic, isn't particularly good inside, and doesn't play good defense. He's shaping up to be a pretty good college player, but I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing from a talent perspective.

That is an incredibly negative take on Newman. I don't agree with it.

basedog
03-22-2018, 02:45 PM
I would venture to say Lamar and Nick would fit in nicely at Kansas, no worse than equal but honestly watching all three, I'd take our guys. The only thing Newman does better is spot shooting. Nick and Lamar are way better created their shots and are better defenders. Just saying.

CovertDawg
03-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Malik is a nice college player. How he would fit in with this MSU team, who knows. If he still had the one and done mindset then not well. If he could play good team defense and make open shots then his numbers would look similar to what he did at Kansas this year.

Lamar and Nick could both play their way into the first round next year, and Q into the second. I would be shocked if Malik ever gets drafted based on his measurables I saw from the NBA combine his freshman year....subpar length and can't finish at the rim. He was a physically mature kid in high school and could kind of "bulldog" his opponents. He is still a good college player but not the phenom he was built up to be now that the longer and once skinny kids have caught up.

Lance Harbor
03-22-2018, 11:55 PM
MSU Men's basketball, playing for 69th place in the nation, will have three NBA draft picks next year. Howland must be doing a shit job.

Lamar and Nick could both play their way into the first round next year, and Q into the second. I would be shocked if Malik ever gets drafted based on his measurables I saw from the NBA combine his freshman year.

CovertDawg
03-23-2018, 05:53 AM
MSU Men's basketball, playing for 69th place in the nation, will have three NBA draft picks next year. Howland must be doing a shit job.

Actually, the new NBADraft.net mock draft for 2019 (next year) has exactly that scenario playing out. They have Nick and Lamar both going in the first round and Q in the second. This board might pick apart Q's game but you don't offensive rebound at the rate he does in the SEC without either really good length or athleticism. They do have Malik going 54th in the 2nd as well but he is going to have to prove he is a lights out shooter to have a chance since he is one dimensional. And I think Howland is doing an excellent job. The NBA draft is more about projection and Howland is getting all of these guys ready to have a monster season next year in the NCAA tournament that gets capped off on draft night.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2018, 09:25 AM

We have played 3 teams that were better than several of the NCAA tourney teams. Just because of some type of arbitrary choice by some panel doesn't mean that our team wasn't as good or better than several of the teams in the tourney.

Lance Harbor
03-23-2018, 10:21 AM
That's damned impressive if it plays out. Even scarier is that Duke has committed three high school seniors in the top 5 of the 2019 draft.

Actually, the new NBADraft.net mock draft for 2019 (next year) has exactly that scenario playing out. They have Nick and Lamar both going in the first round and Q in the second. This board might pick apart Q's game but you don't offensive rebound at the rate he does in the SEC without either really good length or athleticism. They do have Malik going 54th in the 2nd as well but he is going to have to prove he is a lights out shooter to have a chance since he is one dimensional. And I think Howland is doing an excellent job. The NBA draft is more about projection and Howland is getting all of these guys ready to have a monster season next year in the NCAA tournament that gets capped off on draft night.

drunkernhelldawg
03-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Great post. I'm not convinced that Malik is one dimensional, but I haven't seem him play very much. I totally agree with the rest of your points. Especially that Howland is doing a great job.