PDA

View Full Version : It?s fun to watch.....

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 08:11 AM
and it?s been a long, long, long time since we have played this well but let?s not go all NIT Champsburg now. Those of you old enough will remember what I?m talking about.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2018, 08:29 AM
The NIT doesn't excite me. It's a positive for next season but winning really does nothing more than the extra games and practices. I still expect us to be in the NCAAs next year. That's still my bottom line.
I will say, it beats watching some home remodel show or the Walking Dead though.

BrunswickDawg
03-21-2018, 08:33 AM
and it?s been a long, long, long time since we have played this well but let?s not go all NIT Champsburg now. Those of you old enough will remember what I?m talking about.

It's one of those things you need to keep in context. Be proud that it shows we have made great strides as a program. Don't schedule a Parade or claim it means we coulda/woulda/shoulda in the NCAA tournament.

shannondawg
03-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Enjoy the moment, I am.

confucius say
03-21-2018, 08:43 AM
The bigger picture is the important thing here. Meaning, it?s not so much winning the NIT as it is we, hopefully, have turned the corner, matured, and will compete for league title next year

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Agreed. But competitors want to compete and winners want to win. So I want to win the damn thing. I hated reading all the message board posts after we beat Baylor about how we had no chance against Louisville. People already marking that game down as a loss proved ridiculous. I want to win them all. So I'm all in on wanting to go to New York City and winning an NIT championship. It's not a National Championship, but it's still a championship of the particular tournament that we entered. At this point, our only 2 options are to win it or to lose it. So we might as well try to win it.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 08:58 AM
It’s great for the team but just keep it in perspective. It’s the NIT.

RezDog7
03-21-2018, 09:03 AM
I’ve enjoyed the brand of basketball much better with the rule changes. It appears the refs are letting the kids play.

basedog
03-21-2018, 09:20 AM
You guys are nuts, if you don't think the NIT isn't important to the players and coaches then quit watching and please don't bitch like little babies. If you aren't excited while watching a very young team play some exciting basketball then you aren't real basketball fans much less real Msu fans!

Yeah it pisses me off reading what a few have said, we haven't had much success in men's basketball plus we don't have a bunch of tradition in basketball, please don't post any longer about this team if you aren't fired up!

I love the rules the NIT have applied, it opens up the middle plus moving the 3 point line back, 5 foul per quarter with shooting tow and I love the 20 second shot.

basedog
03-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Enjoy the moment, I am.

+1

I suppose the crybabies enjoy just finding something negative to think about. Glad Ben Howland didn't leave it up to them to decide whether we play in the NIT.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 09:25 AM
I would rather be OAD in tourney, but I love getting to watch this team play 5 extra games!

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 09:30 AM
You guys are nuts, if you don't think the NIT isn't important to the players and coaches then quit watching and please don't bitch like little babies. If you aren't excited while watching a very young team play some exciting basketball then you aren't real basketball fans much less real Msu fans!

Yeah it pisses me off reading what a few have said, we haven't had much success in men's basketball plus we don't have a bunch of tradition in basketball, please don't post any longer about this team if you aren't fired up!

I love the rules the NIT have applied, it opens up the middle plus moving the 3 point line back, 5 foul per quarter with shooting tow and I love the 20 second shot.

I personally think winning the NIT is a lot more beneficial in the long run than going one and done in the NCAAs. I look at it like the OOC did for our team. We are right now developing as a team for next year's run. Everyone needs to look at the NITs like you would the Gator Bowl. Winning gives us momentum going into the offseason that hopefully translates to next year's team.

Also, this team is the most fun I have had watching Men's basketball in a long time. Just watching Peters develop into a team player is worth the price of admission. The guy was just concentrating on getting to the NBA and the team was suffering for it. Howland sat him down and he finally got his head right. Now we look like we could go toe to toe with anyone in America.

Coach34
03-21-2018, 09:32 AM
This little run is a big positive for the program and gives us some momentum heading into next season. You always want to win the trophy if possible- and that would be great. Bringing back all 5 starters after a run like this does nothing but help us in 2019.

basedog
03-21-2018, 09:33 AM
I personally think winning the NIT is a lot more beneficial in the long run than going one and done in the NCAAs. I look at it like the OOC did for our team. We are right now developing as a team for next year's run. Everyone needs to look at the NITs like you would the Gator Bowl. Winning gives us momentum going into the offseason that hopefully translates to next year's team.

Also, this team is the most fun I have had watching Men's basketball in a long time. Just watching Peters develop into a team player is worth the price of admission. The guy was just concentrating on getting to the NBA and the team was suffering for it. Howland sat him down and he finally got his head right. Now we look like we could go toe to toe with anyone in America.

Exactly, not only watching Peters but seeing Ado developing and Nick becoming a star and maybe this is the most improved team from the beginning of the season that I can remember. They make that extra pass and aren't selfish players which is fun to watch.

AlmostPositive
03-21-2018, 09:35 AM
That was great basketball last night, in front of big hostile crowd. You can enjoy it for the performance that it was, and maybe even more so for what it is a preview of. The MSU team on the floor last night looked like sweet 16 possibility to me.

basedog
03-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Btw, there was a rebound Ado got, he soared way above the rim in traffic on the offensive end, caught it with one hand came down and went right back up for a dunk! It was a NBA type play, it was the play of the game for me.

drunkernhelldawg
03-21-2018, 09:41 AM
The NIT makes us one of the few teams that is still playing. Since it's finishing at MSG, I'm pretty sure it will be among "all the news that's fit to print." It's not a national championship, but it means a lot to our program. I'm grateful.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
The NIT makes us one of the few teams that is still playing. Since it's finishing at MSG, I'm pretty sure it will be among "all the news that's fit to print." It's not a national championship, but it means a lot to our program. I'm grateful.

Definitely finishing in New York will give us some publicity going into next year. If we end up winning the whole thing then I could see us being preseason ranked next year.

basedog
03-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Also playing in the Garden with the New York Press can't hurt, exposure is a powerful thing.

I hope like hell we hang a banner!

Playing and winning in the NIT isn't important***

Pit Bull
03-21-2018, 09:49 AM
The NIT doesn't excite me. It's a positive for next season but winning really does nothing more than the extra games and practices. I still expect us to be in the NCAAs next year. That's still my bottom line.
I will say, it beats watching some home remodel show or the Walking Dead though.

Walking Dead was the #1 rated Cable Show at one time. Not sure what it is now. When Fox's Bill OReilly Show was going strong, he was the #1 cable show until The Walking Dead started. He used to joke on-air that maybe he needed to schedule a few zombies on his show to get back to #1. My favorite off-the-wall cable shows are "Moonshiners", "Life Below Zero", "Highway to Hell", and "Cops". Oh well, guess we all have our misspent time shows!!

TaleofTwoDogs
03-21-2018, 09:56 AM
The team's performance last night was what we have waited on for years. It's the way basketball should be played and I loved it. If we had been OAD at the NCAA we would have never seen that performance and as a fan that would have been a shame. The team now has a shot at a championship and that in itself is a big morale booster in my book.

BuckyIsAB****
03-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Agreed. But competitors want to compete and winners want to win. So I want to win the damn thing. I hated reading all the message board posts after we beat Baylor about how we had no chance against Louisville. People already marking that game down as a loss proved ridiculous. I want to win them all. So I'm all in on wanting to go to New York City and winning an NIT championship. It's not a National Championship, but it's still a championship of the particular tournament that we entered. At this point, our only 2 options are to win it or to lose it. So we might as well try to win it.

This guy/girl gets it. Need more attitudes like this

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 10:15 AM
I can assure you that had anyone been sitting in the Yum Center last night they wouldn?t be minimizing the value of the NIT. That was by far the loudest crowd in a hostile environment that I have ever experienced. 22,900 Louisville fans and they were on their feet for 3 1/2 quarters. I was sitting behind our bench and to watch the players interact during the game demonstrated the maturity and development of this team. Anyone who thinks this is of little or no value in ignorant or naive. What most saw on TV was a small part of the giant step this team has taken.

MadDawg
03-21-2018, 10:24 AM
I would say beating Baylor on their home court and beating Louisville on their home court back-to-back is equivalent to winning against slightly better teams (read ncaat teams) on neutral courts. So in essence, this proves we would have held our own in the big dance. Not saying we deserved to be there because our resume didn't, but just that we were a tournament team without the resume.

Ari Gold
03-21-2018, 10:25 AM
The NIT is a much bigger deal if you make it to NYC which we have.

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Translation: Cooterpoot is still upset at the posters on here for some comment made in a women's game thread and will continue to crap/troll on the men's team.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2018, 10:40 AM
It's the NIT. These teams didn't make it. Aside from the 5-10 each year that get automatics and shouldn't be there, these aren't top 50 teams we're beating. Just how it is. I'll watch and be happy each win, but it's still simply practice for next season. It's a participation trophy but you get to improve yourself with the extra practices. How many teams from the NIT final 4 made the NCAA's this year? 1? The team that won it was a one and done team this year (tough matchup with Syracuse). Bakersfield made the final 4 last year. It's not a big deal beyond the practice and extra games. It's basically a low-end bowl game.
Are we going to tell recruits that we're a NIT team? No. All they're worried about is that damn One Shining Moment video.
I'm more excited about next year. This year is nothing special even if you win the NIT.

basedog
03-21-2018, 10:50 AM
It's the NIT. These teams didn't make it. Aside from the 5-10 each year that get automatics and shouldn't be there, these aren't top 50 teams we're beating. Just how it is. I'll watch and be happy each win, but it's still simply practice for next season. It's a participation trophy but you get to improve yourself with the extra practices. How many teams from the NIT final 4 made the NCAA's this year? 1? The team that won it was a one and done team this year (tough matchup with Syracuse). Bakersfield made the final 4 last year. It's not a big deal beyond the practice and extra games. It's basically a low-end bowl game.
Are we going to tell recruits that we're a NIT team? No. All they're worried about is that damn One Shining Moment video.
I'm more excited about next year. This year is nothing special even if you win the NIT.

Obviously you didn't watch much basketball around the country this year with saying some teams in the NIT aren't or weren't worthy of the Ncaa. Teams like Msu, Baylor and Louisville have a little harder road ahead of them they say team who wins the a title at a mid major school. Yes our pre season losses and schedule hurt our chances, but to think the NIT isn't important to you well why comment or try to bring down a positive with our program.
Me being an ex basketball Coach will tell you as would every Coach I know that this is real important (NIT). I suppose you will be against hanging a banner IF we win this thing? Our present history sucks and maybe this is the start to changing things!

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Keep deflecting. I really don't feel like searching through 1,787 posts to discover when exactly you got salty towards everyone on this board over a post made in a women's game thread. I hope you can recover from it. It's been months now.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 10:52 AM

This is the real truth. It's good for us but it's the NIT. Don't go all NIT Champsburg about it.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Keep deflecting. I really don't feel like searching through 1,787 posts to discover when exactly you got salty towards everyone on this board over a post made in a women's game thread. I hope you can recover from it. It's been months now.

I think you should go Stephen Hawking and search the universe for it. He would.

basedog
03-21-2018, 11:01 AM
This is the real truth. It's good for us but it's the NIT. Don't go all NIT Champsburg about it.

Liver, I love your passion overall for Msu, but dude you are so wrong about Msu playing in the NIT. I'm kinda shocked with your reaction about us playing in the Garden and the exposure we will get. We aren't a basketball rich traditional school, this is a big deal such as us playing in a non New Year's bowl game in football after many losing seasons. Expectations for basketball haven't been very good over the years. How you can't be excited and down grading the program is disgusting to me. You can do better, or I hope you can.

Don't attend when we raise the NIT Championship Banner at the Hump, you will be disappointed, LOL!

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 11:04 AM

I think you should go Stephen Hawking and search the universe for it. He would.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1ughbsd9qXz2s9SE/giphy.gif

basedog
03-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Btw, didn't realize that the butt whipping we gave Louisville last night was the worse margin of defeat in their history at the Yum Center. That is amazing in itself with their history.

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 11:17 AM

This is a perfect example of someone who doesn’t understand the process of building a winning program and is only focused on today. You acknowledge the value of the extra practices, but then minimize what that means to the program’s development. If you can’t see what this participation trophy has done for the confidence and team chemistry, then you simply don’t know what it takes to build a program. Go tell anyone on the team or any of the coaches thus doesn’t mean anything...

As for recruits, check Robert Woodward’s tweets if you think it doesn’t mean anything to them.

Or you could continue with the same negative BS you have spewed all year about thus team all year.

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Or you could continue with the same negative BS you have spewed all year about thus team all year.

He's trolling and has been for awhile now but I am gonna solve the case of the Cooterpoot troll. I know it's got something to do with the women's team. Maybe one too many Titty Dawgs comments or something.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Liver, I love your passion overall for Msu, but dude you are so wrong about Msu playing in the NIT. I'm kinda shocked with your reaction about us playing in the Garden and the exposure we will get. We aren't a basketball rich traditional school, this is a big deal such as us playing in a non New Year's bowl game in football after many losing seasons. Expectations for basketball haven't been very good over the years. How you can't be excited and down grading the program is disgusting to me. You can do better, or I hope you can.

Don't attend when we raise the NIT Championship Banner at the Hump, you will be disappointed, LOL!

You raise the banner, but you don't go crazy over it and you don't read too much into it. No matter how you slice it you are still playing other teams that didn't get into the real tournament. It's a great experience for the team and the extra practice is very valuable. Just don't carried away.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 11:42 AM
He's trolling and has been for awhile now but I am gonna solve the case of the Cooterpoot troll. I know it's got something to do with the women's team. Maybe one too many Titty Dawgs comments or something.

You know 61, just because someone doesn't see things the way you do it doesn't make them a troll. That's an assumption you seem to make quite often.

basedog
03-21-2018, 11:59 AM
You raise the banner, but you don't go crazy over it and you don't read too much into it. No matter how you slice it you are still playing other teams that didn't get into the real tournament. It's a great experience for the team and the extra practice is very valuable. Just don't carried away.

Carried away? I read a few comments from the players as well as recruits, seemed they are "carried away"! LOL

How many Ncaa tournaments do you think we have attended, also look at how many NIT tournaments we have attended, even less. We needed this run way more so than one and done in the Ncaa. At least we get exposure and folks are still talking basketball.

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 12:03 PM
You know 61, just because someone doesn't see things the way you do it doesn't make them a troll. That's an assumption you seem to make quite often.

It's an assumption I have made quite often towards you Liverpool as this thread now turns into debating you over and over on how you are in fact trolly in your ways

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 12:09 PM

The way I look at it is the same as going to the Liberty Bowl. It is better to have the Liberty Bowl trophy than just sit at home with nothing. There is also a fine line between the level of teams we have beaten and what we might have faced in the tourney. I am very proud of this team and the way they are playing. It is finally great to watch some Men's basketball again.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2018, 12:56 PM
The way I look at it is the same as going to the Liberty Bowl. It is better to have the Liberty Bowl trophy than just sit at home with nothing. There is also a fine line between the level of teams we have beaten and what we might have faced in the tourney. I am very proud of this team and the way they are playing. It is finally great to watch some Men's basketball again.

In every game, there are only 2 possible outcomes. Win or Loss. So it's better to be the Liberty Bowl winner than the Liberty Bowl loser. I know that beating South Alabama in football 2 years ago wouldn't have been something to brag about, but it damn sure would have been better than the loss we took. So these people acting like it is just as good to lose in the NIT as it is to win in the NIT are idiots. It may "only be the NIT", but I damn sure want to win it. I would rather have an NIT trophy in our trophy case than be Nebraska who lost in the first round.

drunkernhelldawg
03-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Definitely finishing in New York will give us some publicity going into next year. If we end up winning the whole thing then I could see us being preseason ranked next year.

I was thinking the same thing. May end ranked this season and definitely ranked preseason for 19.

1bigdawg
03-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Actually, the best part of being in the NIT to me is that we played and won in hostile away games. That will play dividends as it is a tough thing to do. The practices are good as is that we keep playing, but winning on an away court against a decent team is worth a lot. For anyone who disagrees, think about how you would have felt is we had gone to Louisville and beaten them in the pre-SEC season.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Bullshit. If we win, we get a trophy. For actually winning. The other 31 teams don't. So it's not a participation trophy. It's still an achievement. While certainly the NIT is second-tier to the NCAA tournament, it's still more of an accomplishment to be the NIT champion than it is to be eliminated in the first round of the NIT (like Nebraska), or not get in at all (like Ole Miss). However small you think the trophy or title is, you still have to compete to win it. Isn't winning better than losing?

drunkernhelldawg
03-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Actually, the best part of being in the NIT to me is that we played and won in hostile away games. That will play dividends as it is a tough thing to do. The practices are good as is that we keep playing, but winning on an away court against a decent team is worth a lot. For anyone who disagrees, think about how you would have felt is we had gone to Louisville and beaten them in the pre-SEC season.

Great point since we would have probably made the dance had that happened.

Louisville and Baylor are just as good as at least 25 teams that are (were) in the big show. We're still playing! That right there makes us ELITE.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 02:48 PM
In every game, there are only 2 possible outcomes. Win or Loss. So it's better to be the Liberty Bowl winner than the Liberty Bowl loser. I know that beating South Alabama in football 2 years ago wouldn't have been something to brag about, but it damn sure would have been better than the loss we took. So these people acting like it is just as good to lose in the NIT as it is to win in the NIT are idiots. It may "only be the NIT", but I damn sure want to win it. I would rather have an NIT trophy in our trophy case than be Nebraska who lost in the first round.

I NEVER said I didn?t want to win it. What I said is don?t get carried away even if we DO win it. NIT Champsburg and everything that went with it was just hilarious. I was in a post grad school with a bunch of Ole Miss, MSU, and USM folks at the time. We weren?t in anything but we still laughed at the USM folks for making a big deal out of it. They shut up pretty quick when we did too because they weren?t stupid people. This run is fantastic for the development of this young team but you can?t extrapolate success in the NIT to anything at a higher level. It?s a different level of competition. This is exactly like going to a lowest tier bowl with a young football team and playing somebody like Miami of Ohio.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 03:02 PM
I NEVER said I didn?t want to win it. What I said is don?t get carried away even if we DO win it. NIT Champsburg and everything that went with it was just hilarious. I was in a post grad school with a bunch of Ole Miss, MSU, and USM folks at the time. We weren?t in anything but we still laughed at the USM folks for making a big deal out of it. They shut up pretty quick when we did too because they weren?t stupid people. This run is fantastic for the development of this young team but you can?t extrapolate success in the NIT to anything at a higher level. It?s a different level of competition. This is exactly like going to a lowest tier bowl with a young football team and playing somebody like Miami of Ohio.

Exactly, we used the St Petersburg bowl to get ready for the next season which got us to the Gator Bowl and a broken ankle from possibly the Citrus Bowl. Hopefully we use the NIT run to get us into the NCAA's next year and hopefully a Sweet 16.

Percho
03-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Virginia should have been in the N I T!

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 03:44 PM
It?s a different level of competition. This is exactly like going to a lowest tier bowl with a young football team and playing somebody like Miami of Ohio.

That’s not true at all. Baylor, Nebraska, and Louisville Basketball does not compare with Miami Ohio football program. They are contenders for their conference every year in basketball. That’s a terrible comparison.

BrunswickDawg
03-21-2018, 04:22 PM
That?s not true at all. Baylor, Nebraska, and Louisville Basketball does not compare with Miami Ohio football program. They are contenders for their conference every year in basketball. That?s a terrible comparison.
You are pretty close -
Baylor was AP #24 pre-season and got ranked as high as #16
Nebraska had their highest win total since 1991, and fewest losses since 1994.
Louisville was #16 preseason - and got torched by the Pitino deal.

If the NIT was running 64 teams out there, then Liverpool would be right. We have been in a solid bracket this year and faced real competition.
Penn State will arguably be the worst team we have faced in the NIT - and that's even considering they knocked off Ohio State 2 times this year.

If they make it thru to face us in the finals, Saint Mary's is 30-5, ranked as high as #11, and is still in the Top 25. That would be a fun game to watch.

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2018, 04:27 PM
To me the NIT is a big deal. No, it is not the NCAA, but you win the NIT and you out lasted 31 other teams that are probably better than 40% of the NCAA field.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Bullshit. If we win, we get a trophy. For actually winning. The other 31 teams don't. So it's not a participation trophy. It's still an achievement. While certainly the NIT is second-tier to the NCAA tournament, it's still more of an accomplishment to be the NIT champion than it is to be eliminated in the first round of the NIT (like Nebraska), or not get in at all (like Ole Miss). However small you think the trophy or title is, you still have to compete to win it. Isn't winning better than losing?

And it's meaningless compared to the trophy won by the NCAA champion. It's a second-tier achievement, hence...participation trophy. It's not the real tournament. It's a tournament for the teams that couldn't make the NCAAs. I don't disagree that you compete to win. But it's still a pretty meaningless trophy at the end of the tournament.
It's like banging the skank at the bar. You'll probably enjoy the ride, but you won't be bragging about it much. All you can do is say, "we should've been in the real tournament".
But to each their own. If it tingles your senses, then great. I just don't get anything out of it except something to watch on tv.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 04:46 PM
And it's meaningless compared to the trophy won by the NCAA champion. It's a second-tier achievement, hence...participation trophy. It's not the real tournament. It's a tournament for the teams that couldn't make the NCAAs. I don't disagree that you compete to win. But it's still a pretty meaningless trophy at the end of the tournament.
It's like banging the skank at the bar. You'll probably enjoy the ride, but you won't be bragging about it much. All you can do is say, "we should've been in the real tournament".
It’s not meaningless to our players. This is helping our team.

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2018, 04:50 PM
But to each their own. If it tingles your senses, then great. I just don't get anything out of it except something to watch on tv.

It is a second tier trophy we have never won. This is like saying there is no reason to get excited winning a bowl game if it is not for the national title. I guess you would have not been excited had we won the orange bowl that year.

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 04:53 PM
To me the NIT is a big deal. No, it is not the NCAA, but you win the NIT and you out lasted 31 other teams that are probably better than 40% of the NCAA field.

Exactly! If you take the auto bids out of the NCAA, most of the teams in the NIT would be in there. A quick look at the BPI and SOS of Louisville, Baylor and Nebraska you would see that they are better than 30% or more of the field in the NCAA. Some of those that are knocking the NIT are the same ones that harp on our non conference SOS. We beat 3 teams that would easily been in the NCAA if it weren’t for auto bids and we beat the best 2 of the 3 in their own house which wouldn’t have even happened if they or we were in the tourney.

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 04:59 PM

We aren't going to put up a billboard in Times Square if we win it but maybe we should cause we would technically own New York for that week

Turfdawg67
03-21-2018, 05:20 PM

You are wrong. It means a hell of a lot to the players and to keep playing is so incredibly valuable to this young team?s future its unmeasurable. If we would have beaten the same 3 teams in the regular season, we?d probably be in the big dance... high quality teams, better than 30-40% of the teams in their here now.

Turfdawg67
03-21-2018, 05:24 PM
That’s not true at all. Baylor, Nebraska, and Louisville Basketball does not compare with Miami Ohio football program. They are contenders for their conference every year in basketball. That’s a terrible comparison.

1400+ posts in 2 months is quite the feat, but if most were more like this one, I wouldn’t mind at all. Right on target. Not that you need my approval...

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 05:48 PM

They weren't this year. You are looking at names. By the way, Nebraska basketball ain't even a name.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 05:53 PM
They weren't this year. You are looking at names.

Ummm... Nebraska- 4th in big ten/ should’ve been in tourney.
Baylor- Ranked in top 25 earlier.
Louisville- A 20 win team, pretty decent year. In no way does that come close to Miami Ohio football and you know it.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Louisville- A 20 win team, pretty decent year. In no way does that come close to Miami Ohio football and you know it.
Also, those 3 are better than 30% of the 64 who went dancing

99jc
03-21-2018, 05:54 PM

Your a 17ing Rebel asshole bet my life on it.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 05:56 PM
But none of them got into to real tourney, just like us. Don't try to pretend the NIT is even close to the NCAA, because it isn't. Again......it's good for this team.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 05:59 PM
But none of them got into to real tourney, just like us. Don't try to pretend the NIT is even close to the NCAA, because it isn't. Again......it's good for this team.

Nebraska got screwed. And I’m not saying that, you said these teams are among Miami Ohio football, and I told you that was crazy.

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 06:19 PM

And what?s your point, are you saying the 68 teams in the tournament are the best 68 teams in the country?

ETA that would be a joke of biblical proportions!

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Nebraska got screwed. And I’m not saying that, you said these teams are among Miami Ohio football, and I told you that was crazy.

They are teams that didn't make it into the major competition. That IS the same.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:29 PM
And what?s your point, are you saying the 68 teams in the tournament are the best 68 teams in the country?

ETA that would be a joke of biblical proportions!

Jeez, what a stupid statement. There are too many automatic bids for nobodies for that to ever be true. The fact remains that best teams ARE in the Dance. They are NOT in the NIT.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:32 PM
They are teams that didn't make it into the major competition. That IS the same.
That is the stupidest thing I’ve read all day

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Jeez, what a stupid statement. There are too many automatic bids for nobodies for that to ever be true. The fact remains that best teams ARE in the Dance. They are NOT in the NIT.

Not stupid at all...the point is with the auto bids, a large number of teams that are better than those autos are left out. It’s stupid to assert that because a team didn’t make the tourney that they aren’t among the 68 best teams in the country.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Not stupid at all...the point is with the auto bids, a large number of teams that are better than those autos are left out. It’s stupid to assert that because a team didn’t make the tourney that they aren’t among the 68 best teams in the country.

You are arguing with yourself because I never made that statement.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:40 PM
You are arguing with yourself because I never made that statement.

Yes you did. Here’s the direct quote:
The fact remains that best teams ARE in the Dance. They are NOT in the NIT.

Liverpooldawg
That is the stupidest thing I’ve read all day

Why is it different? Lessor teams go to lessor bowls. Teams that don't get at large bids go to the lessor competition.

Dawg61
Your a 17ing Rebel asshole bet my life on it.

Uh oh Cooter your trolly ways are getting you blasted Rebel charges now. Maybe you should just out your reasoning for trolling the board the last 3 months. Really don't feel like scouring through 1,900 posts to find the exact point of ******l breakage.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Yes you did. Here’s the direct quote:

Did it ever occur to you that the word best isn't a number? It should have since it isn't a number. The best teams are in the Dance. So are some others. You are arguing with yourself.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Why is it different? Lessor teams go to lessor bowls. Teams that don't get at large bids go to the lessor competition.

You are saying Louisville is lesser than the 16 seeds? You are drunk

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Did it ever occur to you that the word best isn't a number? It should have since it isn't a number. The best teams are in the Dance. So are some others. You are arguing with yourself.

No, I’m arguing with you

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:45 PM
You are saying Louisville is lesser than the 16 seeds? You are drunk
No, you are tying to say I said it. I didn't. This is asisinine.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:46 PM
No, I’m arguing with you

Nope, you are arguing with what you said I said. That isn't arguing with me. Lol.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:48 PM
No, you are tying to say I said it. I didn't. This is asisinine.

You said “lesser teams”. Quit trying to downplay our best down last night

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Nope, you are arguing with what you said I said. That isn't arguing with me. Lol.

I put your direct quote in my post. How much more direct can it get.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Just for clarity for some who can't understand non-literal non-explicitly stated thinking.......there are 36 at large berths. There 32 automatics, some of which go to teams that would get at large berths if they hadn't made it. You can reasonably assume that at least 40-45 or so best teams in the country are in the Dance. They therefore aren't in the NIT. Therefore the level of competition in the NCAA is much higher than that provided by the lessor teams in the NIT. Facts are facts.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 06:53 PM
I put your direct quote in my post. How much more direct can it get.

You evidently can't comprehend the meaning.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Just for clarity for some who can't understand non-literal non-explicitly stated thinking.......there are 36 at large berths. There 32 automatics, some of which go to teams that would get at large berths if they hadn't made it. You can reasonably assume that at least 40-45 or so best teams in the country are in the Dance. They therefore aren't in the NIT. Therefore the level of competition in the NCAA is much higher than that provided by the lessor teams in the NIT. Facts are facts.

The 3 teams we have played are not equivalent to Miami Ohio football. Why can’t you agree with that.

basedog
03-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Liver, why don't you just step back and let most of us enjoy a rare moment for Msu basketball history. You are way out of line saying the NIT isn't important or a big deal. Tell you what, if Ben Howland and the players say or think like you I will apologize for enjoying the moment.

Find another fight to pick. Geez

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Delete

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Liver, why don't you just step back and let most of us enjoy a rare moment for Msu basketball history. You are way out of line saying the NIT isn't important or a big deal. Tell you what, if Ben Howland and the players say or think like you I will apologize for enjoying the moment.

Find another fight to pick. Geez

I hope they do think like me. This is fun, I really want to win it, it's really good for the team, celebrate it a little bit if we win it, but it isn't where I want us to be. I don't think it is where they want to be either. I'd be really surprised if they don't think like I do here. Last post here, I voiced my opinion. I just don't want to see NIT Champsburg in any fashion. Heck I've seen that made fun of a LOT on our boards.

basedog
03-21-2018, 07:36 PM
I hope they do think like me. This is fun, I really want to win it, it's really good for the team, celebrate it a little bit if we win it, but it isn't where I want us to be. I don't think it is where they want to be either. I'd be really surprised if they don't think like I do here. Last post here, I voiced my opinion. I just don't want to see NIT Champsburg in any fashion. Heck I've seen that made fun of a LOT on our boards.

We are talking about this year, IF we had any history of tradition by going to the dance I would agree with you. As for as the coaches and players, sure they want to go the dance but I bet they are elated about playing in New York at the Garden. That in itself is a big big deal to any basketball player. Go look at how many dances we have attended, it tells the story.

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 07:46 PM
We are talking about this year, IF we had any history of tradition by going to the dance I would agree with you. As for as the coaches and players, sure they want to go the dance but I bet they are elated about playing in New York at the Garden. That in itself is a big big deal to any basketball player. Go look at how many dances we have attended, it tells the story.

I talked to most of the players after the game last night and I can tell you they are fired up big time to be going to play at MSG! As are the coaches.

RocketDawg
03-21-2018, 07:49 PM
I talked to most of the players after the game last night and I can tell you they are fired up big time to be going to play at MSG! As are the coaches.

Don't blame them. And I'll bet that few if any have ever been to the Big Apple. It's got to be exciting to play in the most famous venue in the world.

Coach34
03-21-2018, 07:51 PM
We are in the "everybody gets a trophy generation" now. Combine that with the AAU mentality- these guys playing for us are just as happy playing in the NIT as the NCAA's. They are still playing and competing for a trophy- thats all they care about.

Turfdawg67
03-21-2018, 07:55 PM

Nope! While I love the automatic bids and the Cinderella story every year... the ?BEST? 68 teams ARE NOT represented in the big dance.

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Nope! While I love the automatic bids and the Cinderella story every year... the ?BEST? 68 teams ARE NOT represented in the big dance.

Thank you!

MCsMGs
03-21-2018, 07:58 PM
We are in the "everybody gets a trophy generation" now. Combine that with the AAU mentality- these guys playing for us are just as happy playing in the NIT as the NCAA's. They are still playing and competing for a trophy- thats all they care about.

Coach, I don’t get the sense that they are satisfied with the NIT. I think they recognize the process and see it as a stepping stone to where they want to be. I spent some time with Aric’s dad and quickly realized he comes from a high character household.

Coach34
03-21-2018, 08:02 PM
The NIT is all they got this year. They are playing their ass off to win it- thats what I'm saying.

Dawg61
03-21-2018, 08:44 PM

Teams in the NCAA tourney don't play every team in the NCAA tourney so this isn't necessarily a factual statement by you. We have played Nebraska, at Baylor and at Louisville. That's a tougher three game stretch than Kentucky is playing of Davidson, Buffalo, Kansas State and our stretch will stay tougher than their's one more game afterwards and potentially two as they face the winner of Ill-Chicago/Nevada and then the final four game vs the highest possible seed left Michigan. We have Penn State and most likely Saint Mary's. So your facts aren't facts. We are playing a tougher schedule than most likely a final four team this year in Kentucky.

basedog
03-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Teams in the NCAA tourney don't play every team in the NCAA tourney so this isn't necessarily a factual statement by you. We have played Nebraska, at Baylor and at Louisville. That's a tougher three game stretch than Kentucky is playing of Davidson, Buffalo, Kansas State and our stretch will stay tougher than their's one more game afterwards and potentially two as they face the winner of Ill-Chicago/Nevada and then the final four game vs the highest possible seed left Michigan. We have Penn State and most likely Saint Mary's. So your facts aren't facts. We are playing a tougher schedule than most likely a final four team this year in Kentucky.

You knocked it out of the park! Hell im gonna give yo ass a rep! LOL

Bulldog1
03-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Yep. Don’t know what Liverpool can’t understand about this

RocketDawg
03-21-2018, 08:55 PM

And Kentucky's easy trek through their bracket is all UVa's fault. Well ... partially, at least.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-21-2018, 08:56 PM

I guess that is where we are different. If it's competition, then I'm going to compete, and I'm going to compete to win. It might be "banging the skank at bar"' but I'm going to make sure it's the best sex she's ever had. When it comes to the NIT, or any other game or tournament, I'm in it to win it. Can't stomach the loser mentality.