PDA

View Full Version : Some General Thoughts.....

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 09:17 AM
- I'm genuinely frustrated about the current status of our baseball program or lack thereof. There is no program. There are only fans, a new stadium, history, & a team. For the tradition, facilities, & brand our baseball program has, we have been way to volatile. We have become to SEC baseball what Tennessee football currently is to the SEC. Issues around every corner.

- I couldn't care less if I ever see another MSU baseball recruiting class ranked in the top 5 in the country. Comparing our current team to the top teams in the country, we are small, thin, & unathletic. The average MSU player over the past 5 or so has been a non-projectable player. They lack the frame, feet, & agility to improve.

- Once the new baseball coach is hired, MSU needs to look hard at the baseball strength & conditioning program. If you have some free time at some point, watch Arkansas, Missouri State, Florida, TCU, Kentucky, or Texas Tech play. They clearly are on a different strength & conditioning program while recruiting different size players, with more projectable frames & athleticism.

- MSU needs a baseball coach that wants to be here, is known for player development, & is known for recruiting & getting on campus strong baseball players. Body projection is so important & over the past few years MSU has recruited way too many narrow bone structure guys. We don't need to win a press conference. We need someone that knows what they are doing that can come here & build stability while reaping the benefits of the facilities, tradition, & brand.

- The current baseball problem is not on Canny. It's on the previous staff for building a team full of weeds. There are very few strong lower halves on the team. Hitters without strong lower halves can't get to power.

- I'm pumped about the Men's basketball team making a run in the NIT. I think that's huge for next year. Truly brings everyone together.

- I also super pumped about Spring Football practice beginning today. Can't wait to see how Moorhead does things, what changes he makes, & the rumors coming out of practice. I'm ready to get excited about football.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 09:23 AM
- I'm genuinely frustrated about the current status of our baseball program or lack thereof. There is no program. There are only fans, a new stadium, history, & a team. For the tradition, facilities, & brand our baseball program has, we have been way to volatile. We have become to SEC baseball what Tennessee football currently is to the SEC. Issues around every corner.

- I couldn't care less if I ever see another MSU baseball recruiting class ranked in the top 5 in the country. Comparing our current team to the top teams in the country, we are small, thin, & unathletic. The average MSU player over the past 5 or so has been a non-projectable player. They lack the frame, feet, & agility to improve.

- Once the new baseball coach is hired, MSU needs to look hard at the baseball strength & conditioning program. If you have some free time at some point, watch Arkansas, Missouri State, Florida, TCU, or Texas Tech play. They clearly are on a different strength & conditioning program while recruiting different size players, with more projectable frames & athleticism.

- MSU needs a baseball coach that wants to be here, is known for player development, & is known for recruiting & getting on campus strong baseball players. Body projection is so important & over the past few years MSU has recruited way too many narrow bone structure guys. We don't need to win a press conference. We need someone that knows what they are doing that can come here & build stability while reaping the benefits of the facilities, tradition, & brand.

- I'm pumped about the Men's basketball team making a run in the NIT. I think that's huge for next year. Truly brings everyone together.

- I also super pumped about Spring Football practice beginning today. Can't wait to see how Moorhead does things, what changes he makes, & the rumors coming out of practice. I'm ready to get excited about football.

Great points. Concerning the baseball strength and conditioning, the basketball team could use help there, too. Also, I am excited for spring practice starting today, I am especially ready to see how Moorhead runs the program. I have heard this staff as a whole is night and day better than the Country Club.

Bully13
03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
baseball is indeed frustrating. good points. but haven't we made it to two supers the last 2 years?

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 09:31 AM
baseball is indeed frustrating. good points. but haven't we made it to two supers the last 2 years?

We have made two supers in the last 2 years, but don't let that fool you. I don't look at results, I look at ceiling & talent.

We aren't close

Now... thankfully, we have a program that we can turn things around very quickly if we target the RIGHT guys in recruiting.

msstate7
03-20-2018, 09:36 AM
We have been to super regional or farther in 4 of our last 7 years. Quit crying

cujo
03-20-2018, 09:37 AM
We have made two supers in the last 2 years, but don't let that fool you. I don't look at results, I look at ceiling & talent.

We aren't close

Now... thankfully, we have a program that we can turn things around very quickly if we target the RIGHT guys in recruiting.

What else is there, other than results?

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Yep. I’ve seen some strange statements but that one had to take the cake.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 09:40 AM

We overachieved to get to those Super Regionals. We look nothing like a National Title contender for a physical standpoint.

Results in baseball can be deceiving at times because teams can get hot. We happen to get hot at the right time over the past few years without, other than a few players on the roster, the requisite talent to make a run

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Yea, I should have said “good points besides #1.” Sorry, When I read the first sentence, I went to the next point lol

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 09:42 AM
We overachieved to get to those Super Regionals. We look nothing like a National Title contender for a physical standpoint.

Results in baseball can be deceiving at times because teams can get hot. We happen to get hot at the right time over the past few years without, other than a few players on the roster, the requisite talent to make a run
Isn’t that the point? To get hot in postseason?

msstate7
03-20-2018, 09:43 AM

We overachieved in 2013 and 2016? Sit down, shotgun... you drunk

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 09:44 AM
We overachieved in 2013 and 2016? Sit down, shotgun... you drunk

2013 No. That's one of the most talented teams in college baseball history.

Our program currently looks absolutely nothing like that

msstate7
03-20-2018, 09:45 AM
2013 No. That's one of the most talented teams in college baseball history.

Our program currently looks absolutely nothing like that

We won the sec in 2016 with 21 freaking sec wins

Commercecomet24
03-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Apparently to some when we lose it's because we underachieve and when we win it's because we overachieve. There's no way to overachieve in baseball in the conference we play in, you win because you are talented. Bill Parcells said it best you are what your record says you are. We have been dang good recently.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Overachievers*****

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

I'm not going to argue semantics & get in a petty argument.

The current team & program don't look right compared to the best teams in the country.

If your're thrilled about the talent we are running out there right now, then you need to get out more.

Jack Lambert
03-20-2018, 09:50 AM
I think we have talent and young talent. The problem was we had a coach who was more worried about putting his dick inside some blonde rather then coaching and developing these young players. There has been no development of these guys. This year is a wash and that's how i look at it. Now just hire a a good coach who would rather rub one off every once in a while rather then gigoloing around and concentrate on coaching

msstate7
03-20-2018, 09:53 AM

The current team & program don't look right compared to the best teams in the country.

If your're thrilled about the talent we are running out there right now, then you need to get out more.

Yeah, I love this team... we supremely talented. That is exactly what I said.

In 2015, we were terrible, and won the sec in 2016. Things can change quickly.

smootness
03-20-2018, 09:55 AM
What is more likely - our baseball program keeps getting 'hot' for basically an entire season, or especially in the postseason, or Shotgun doesn't really know baseball talent like he thinks he does?

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I love this team... we supremely talented. That is exactly what I said.

In 2015, we were terrible, and won the sec in 2016. Things can change quickly.

Do I sound stupid when I say I think we’ll be really good next year? These young guys will have a year under their belt, and hopefully have a top coach.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2018, 10:01 AM
What is more likely - our baseball program keeps getting 'hot' for basically an entire season, or especially in the postseason, or Shotgun doesn't really know baseball talent like he thinks he does?

REP GIVEN!

msstate7
03-20-2018, 10:02 AM
I am far from in love with this team, but we have some guys really underachieving with the bat. I think more than a little bit of that has to do with our ex-sex addict coach. If he could not keep his head in a actual baseball game, you know he did not put the work he should have in to developing our guys. Frick cann

shoeless joe
03-20-2018, 10:02 AM

You have completely eradicated any credibility (if you ever had any) in regards to baseball.

We won the SEC regular season two years ago. The team that got hot in the postseason and over achieved was the team that beat us in the supers.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 10:05 AM
http://clarkcounty.info/wp-content/uploads/torches-and-pitchforks.gif

confucius say
03-20-2018, 10:05 AM
2016 team underachieved if anything. Ran into a hot Arizona club which played for a natty. That team was big and physical (Lowe, rooker, hump, Krueger, etc) unlike this group. Part of that is bc we are playing 4 true freshman.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-20-2018, 10:06 AM
I think you guys are kinda arguing past each other. SD made a main point and a side point to support it; his main point being that our current roster isn't that talented, and his supporting point being that our past several seasons have been the same.

7 and others are pointing out how stupid that supporting point is (How can you win the SEC, be a national seed, and make the supers 2 straight years if your roster "lacks talent"?), and ignoring the overall point about the lack of talent on this team. SD is too prideful to admit he made a bad supporting point, and is now acting like attacking his 2nd point is the same as attacking his overall point.

For the record, I think both of you are partially right. This team doesn't seem to have the returning talent at P to be good next year. We need another year or 2 of good recruiting to fill out the lineup too. However, this is not a chronic problem, and the program itself is clearly capable of rebounding after bad years ('15 to '16)

msstate7
03-20-2018, 10:06 AM

Lol... we coming for you

shoeless joe
03-20-2018, 10:08 AM

When you make stupid statements that's what happens. You're not some martyr you're just somebody that doesn't always know of which you post...and you post a lot so it's bound to catch up with you

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 10:13 AM
When you make stupid statements that's what happens. You're not some martyr you're just somebody that doesn't always know of which you post...and you post a lot so it's bound to catch up with you

Stupid comment?

shoeless joe
03-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Stupid comment?

Did you not realize that we won the SEC two years ago? That we've actually had a decent run the last 6 or so years.

I think there are some things that need addressed and you mentioned some of them but when you couldn't be more wrong about something as big as winning the SEC it kinda negates the other things.

So yes...the stupid parts of your post are why you have caused a small uproar

louisvilledawg
03-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Stupid comment?

There's so many we've lost count.

03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Step off the ledge, we will be fine next year. Cannizaro killed this season by not developing the upperclassmen, it is what it is. Our top line pitching was hurt by Tommy John surgery, it is what it is.

We should be finally recovered by next year, except Spencer Price obviously.

Coach34
03-20-2018, 10:56 AM
We have been to 1 CWS in the last 10 years and only 2 in the last 20
We have 1 SEC title since 1990
We have 3 conference tourney titles since 1990
We have only finished in the top 16 of the country 5 times in the last 16 years
While we have made Supers the last 2 seasons- we were dominated in both

msstate7
03-20-2018, 11:04 AM

In the last 5 years, we have an sec title, 3 SRs, and a CWS runner up

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Proof that statistics can say whatever you want them to.

Homedawg
03-20-2018, 11:18 AM

All true, except, Arizona didn't dominate us. 2 close games that we were a pitch away from winning both really.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2018, 11:18 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

Coach34
03-20-2018, 11:22 AM

it will be in last 6 years in 2 months

msstate7
03-20-2018, 11:24 AM
it will be in last 6 years in 2 months

Still good.

Coach34
03-20-2018, 11:25 AM
All true, except, Arizona didn't dominate us. 2 close games that we were a pitch away from winning both really.

Fact remains we havent won a Super Regional game since 2013

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Boom!

msstate7
03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Fact remains we havent won a Super Regional game since 2013

Real results do not matter
- shotgun

Coach34
03-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Real results do not matter
- shotgun

Shotgun's point is being missed- he is basically saying we havent put together teams capable of winning a title- and he is correct. Even in 2013 we caught alot of breaks and didnt have to score much because of the baseball. Now that the ball has changed and teams are becoming more offensive- we still have a bunch of runt punch and judy hitters that in no way can compete with top competition.

HancockCountyDog
03-20-2018, 11:40 AM
I would assume that Shotgun's frustration is primarily about the projection of the program with this year in the complete shitter.

Last year we were fortunate to play in a pretty weak regional, but we still got it done.

For me, my problem with the baseball program is that I thought this would be a solid year - basically a slightly improved 2017 season where we were in discussion for a regional host. We appear to be a longshot for a regional bid at this point.

We have no idea who will make it to campus from our recruiting class, and depending on the coach we hire - who knows who we keep from the class. I thought that our freshman would be better and that 2018 would be a better year, now I'm not so sure. Then again, we went from worst to first in a year from 2015 to 2016, so who the hell knows.

I just thought we were on a sure fire path to a consistent Top 10 program. Now I'm not so sure and that is frustrating as hell.

shoeless joe
03-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Shotgun's point is being missed- he is basically saying we havent put together teams capable of winning a title- and he is correct. Even in 2013 we caught alot of breaks and didnt have to score much because of the baseball. Now that the ball has changed and teams are becoming more offensive- we still have a bunch of runt punch and judy hitters that in no way can compete with top competition.

If the newer ball was used in 13 we would have pounded it all over the yard all season. Frazier, pyrtle, renfroe, and even rea would have mashed the new ball. Rea greatly benefitted from having help in the line up.

Off the top of my head I can think of 4 balls in the championship series that we absolutely murdered that died on the track. Now our pitching staff did benefit from the old ball, especially Mitchell. But the other guys on that staff have done fairly well in pro ball.

So acting like that 13 team wasn't a great team, or that winning the SEC wasn't a big deal in 16 is just ignoring glaring facts to fit an argument.

msstate7
03-20-2018, 11:47 AM

The last time we had a bunch of punch and judy hitters was 2015. Those guys turned into really good hitters in 2016. Jordan, Allen, Hatcher, foscue, and Westburg could all be really good hitters by next season.

I think your messiah, cann has a little to do with this. Macnamee, vansau, and Stovall all have an OPS and ISO down from last season. Alexander ISO is down. We are 1 weekend into sec play... this should not be

03-20-2018, 12:48 PM
The last time we had a bunch of punch and judy hitters was 2015. Those guys turned into really good hitters in 2016. Jordan, Allen, Hatcher, foscue, and Westburg could all be really good hitters by next season.

I think your messiah, cann has a little to do with this. Macnamee, vansau, and Stovall all have an OPS and ISO down from last season. Alexander ISO is down. We are 1 weekend into sec play... this should not be
The guys we are counting on, essentially for all production, are the p&j types: Mangum and Stovall. I agree with you on the freshmen, they are certainly not p&j, they are good players, but just young

Our problem is that our upperclass power guys have not come through for us - McNamee, Vansau, Poole. Big disappointment. We're also getting nothing from the catcher position

We will make a big jump offensively next year, pitching remains to be seen, we'll need to add some arms for sure. Will Ethan Small get drafted? Will Graham Ashcraft be 100%? Will Kale Breaux return to early 2016 form? Will Keegan James get better? Cole Gordon?? Those are the questions

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-20-2018, 12:59 PM

This is a point a lot of us forget when looking at next season. Mac, Vansau, Mangum, Stvall, Skelton, LA... these are guys we saw last year, and yet NONE of them have improved at the plate. Several of them have regressed. That's too big of a coincidence- clearly Cann did nothing with them all offseason.

So what that means is that these 4-5 Fr that are doing ok now, are doing ok with 0 coaching after high school. Get these guys in fall ball with a real staff, and we'll see a much larger jump than usual from them at the plate. Stovall too

03-20-2018, 01:04 PM
This is a point a lot of us forget when looking at next season. Mac, Vansau, Mangum, Stvall, Skelton, LA... these are guys we saw last year, and yet NONE of them have improved at the plate. Several of them have regressed. That's too big of a coincidence- clearly Cann did nothing with them all offseason.

So what that means is that these 4-5 Fr that are doing ok now, are doing ok with 0 coaching after high school. Get these guys in fall ball with a real staff, and we'll see a much larger jump than usual from them at the plate. Stovall too

Mangum has improved. To be hitting as well as he is with really no help says a lot

Either way, he won't be helping us next year. Stovall and Alexander certainly need to stay for a good senior year, they could certainly be much better next year

Dawg61
03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Not reading this whole thread. Our baseball team is dogshit and it's cause we've been losing so many signees to the draft and we haven't filled the gaps missing from our last 3 classes. I'll say it again. We need to sign dirtbags not draft risks. Somewhere right after we made it to the title game everyone seemed to think we morphed into a perennial national title contender as a baseball program and should be getting 1st round talent for signing classes. This mentality has left us destroyed. Some of you expecting national titles here forgot we need to build the foundation and first three floors before we can put the roof on the building. Everyone got big heads cause we were building the carnegie hall of baseball stadiums and started acting like Cannizarro was acting. Whipping out our dicks and walking around thinking we were the biggest baddest mother****ers in college baseball but forgot to look down and notice we were sporting a 4 inch pencil dick.

Gutter Cobreh
03-20-2018, 01:10 PM
- The current baseball problem is not on Canny. It's on the previous staff for building a team full of weeds. There are very few strong lower halves on the team. Hitters without strong lower halves can't get to power .

Yet, he gives our previous coach a ?pass?.... the fact that more of our fans aren?t directing their anger towards Cann for the way this season is shaping up is maddening.

He gets credit for working miracles last year, but doesn?t face the criticism for the product we have on the field now.

Coach34
03-20-2018, 01:25 PM

We have a hitting coach. You guys trying to act like nobody works with the hitters is ridiculous.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
We have a hitting coach. You guys trying to act like nobody works with the hitters is ridiculous.
Serious question I meant to ask Saturday- Who is the hitting coach?

03-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Not reading this whole thread. Our baseball team is dogshit and it's cause we've been losing so many signees to the draft and we haven't filled the gaps missing from our last 3 classes. I'll say it again. We need to sign dirtbags not draft risks. Somewhere right after we made it to the title game everyone seemed to think we morphed into a perennial national title contender as a baseball program and should be getting 1st round talent for signing classes. This mentality has left us destroyed. Some of you expecting national titles here forgot we need to build the foundation and first three floors before we can put the roof on the building. Everyone got big heads cause we were building the carnegie hall of baseball stadiums and started acting like Cannizarro was acting. Whipping out our dicks and walking around thinking we were the biggest baddest mother****ers in college baseball but forgot to look down and notice we were sporting a 4 inch pencil dick.

Well said, actually

Let's be clear on one thing though, these dirtbags you speak of, that describes the current freshman class. A lot of those guys were drafted late. We definitely DO need to be recruiting those guys

But yeah, I agree, the super 5 star type, ain't happening, and never has

BuckyIsAB****
03-20-2018, 01:40 PM
This was a perfect storm for our baseball team. Replacing a lot with some immaturity, led by our HC who turned out to be the biggest asshole in school history.

We look like a young unprepared team. Thats why we show flashes like the 3 game sweep in houston then lose to SE LA and get swept by Vandy.

We look like we didnt do shit all offseason, I think its pretty obvious Cann didnt have us doing a damn thing pre season. I love the 4 freshman we have they will only get better.

We get a real coach in 2019 and I think youll be singing a different tune

BuckyIsAB****
03-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Serious question I meant to ask Saturday- Who is the hitting coach?

Jake Gautreau I believe

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Obviously we have a hitting coach, obviously Cann himself *technically* worked with the hitters. But the coaching clearly wasn't good. How else do you explain the stagnation or regression of literally every single returning hitter? Can you say you've ever seen a team that had 0 improvement from any hitter at the plate? I haven't. So sure, there was technical coaching, but it was clearly at a level well below the norm, else we'd be seeing a few players show signs of improvement

Leeshouldveflanked
03-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Plumlee still has a lot of friends on this team......

msstate7
03-20-2018, 01:48 PM
What ticks me off about cann though is he tweeted that crap laughing or whatever at us being predicted so low. Dude was paying more attention to his mistress than our team or he would have seen this coming. Dude robbed state for a paycheck this offseason, and robbed a team of maxing their potential

BuckyIsAB****
03-20-2018, 01:53 PM
What ticks me off about cann though is he tweeted that crap laughing or whatever at us being predicted so low. Dude was paying more attention to his mistress than our team or he would have seen this coming. Dude robbed state for a paycheck this offseason, and robbed a team of maxing their potential

More people should feel like this but they don't. I cant understand why

Commercecomet24
03-20-2018, 02:13 PM
This was a perfect storm for our baseball team. Replacing a lot with some immaturity, led by our HC who turned out to be the biggest asshole in school history.

We look like a young unprepared team. Thats why we show flashes like the 3 game sweep in houston then lose to SE LA and get swept by Vandy.

We look like we didnt do shit all offseason, I think its pretty obvious Cann didnt have us doing a damn thing pre season. I love the 4 freshman we have they will only get better.

We get a real coach in 2019 and I think youll be singing a different tune

Agreed.

Todd4State
03-20-2018, 06:44 PM

- Once the new baseball coach is hired, MSU needs to look hard at the baseball strength & conditioning program. If you have some free time at some point, watch Arkansas, Missouri State, Florida, TCU, Kentucky, or Texas Tech play. They clearly are on a different strength & conditioning program while recruiting different size players, with more projectable frames & athleticism.

- The current baseball problem is not on Canny. It's on the previous staff for building a team full of weeds. There are very few strong lower halves on the team. Hitters without strong lower halves can't get to power.

I agree with the first point. We've tried to cut too many corners instead of biting the bullet and while the corner cutting has led to some short term success it appears as if we are having to bite the bullet big time now. I think we will get someone that will do the things that you are talking about. We don't have to deal with Polk going nuts and I don't think we will be a massive rebuild either. The potential is there- it's just time for us to fulfill it and do it the right way. As I've said before- I wish we had just made Henderson the interim guy last year and then done a proper search. That's essentially what we are having to do now anyway. We need someone that will bring in his own staff rather than some of his and some of Cohen's.

On the second point- our current freshmen class was ranked in the 10's-20's. I think Mangum and Stovall's is really the only top 10 class on campus right now. A typical top 5 class is going to have the types of players you are talking about.

I agree 100% on the point of S&C. That's why our fans make comments about "how small" we look compared to other teams. It's the same guy from when we struggled in 2015 and it hasn't changed under Cann either. We need new blood here. And forget the teams you are talking about- when USM is bigger than us it's a major problem. Not sure why Neal has gotten such a huge pass unless it's just that our coaches are completely clueless about S&C.

I mostly agree about getting strong players that are projectable. A lot of our problem is we lose most of those guys to MLB. We also have to do a much better job of identifying who is signable and who isn't- and then coming up with a back-up plan. That's what killed Mangum's class and I even mentioned it after the draft. Our back-up plans for guys getting drafted are JUCO guys like Vansau. The way it needs to be as an example is we sign a guy that's high risk like Greg Pickett and then there needs to be another guy who has the build and frame of someone like a Brent Rooker as a back up plan. That's how you keep from getting gutted. And the reason we got gutted was because Cohen had no clue who was going pro. It also helps us from having a year where we are starting five freshmen in the lineup too.

What's happening right now isn't all on Cann- but a big part of it is. Our guys may not be projectable- but they also look like they haven't been coached. And since the players were the ones who came forward with what was going on it tells me that they know they weren't being coached.