PDA

View Full Version : OK guys- Ours girls have made the Sweet 16

Coach34
03-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Their season is officially a success. Regardless what happens from here- they lived up to expectations and had a great year. Anything past this is gravy. Enjoy

BuckyIsAB****
03-19-2018, 10:56 PM
Im gonna disagree. We should be playing UConn for the natty

QuadrupleOption
03-19-2018, 11:04 PM

I agree with Coach here. You can't say that this season's a failure if the women's team gets knocked out at this point.

Disappointing? Sure. A failure? No way.

Liverpooldawg
03-19-2018, 11:35 PM

Lord knows I don’t see eye to eye with 34 on much of anything but he is right here. This had to be the level of expectation. To advance from here you have to have a lot of variables go your way. Some are in your control, others aren’t. Now that being said we don’t need as many variables as most left do, but we do need more than at least one team. On to the next one.

Quaoarsking
03-19-2018, 11:43 PM
Anything short of losing the national championship game to UConn is an epic, crushing disappointment.

State82
03-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Final Four again should be the comparison line. Make that and it's a very large success.

99jc
03-20-2018, 08:32 AM
I agree final 4 or it's a bust. We will beat NCAA state.

thf24
03-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Do Duke/Kansas/UK fans consider expectations met if they make the Sweet 16 in years they're a 1 seed? I really don't know, just asking. Just seems to me like anything less than the Final 4 is at least a little bit of a disappointment after earning a 1 seed.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Once you get to the sweet 16, a lot of factors have to go right. And a good bit of getting past the sweet 16 is luck.

Cooterpoot
03-20-2018, 08:50 AM
I would say Elite 8 is the mark. We lost our best defender, maybe our best 2 defenders and our other big. We aren't as athletic this year. But I hope the team loses the pressure they've obviously been playing with on their shoulders recently and go with what C34 says. Because we've been tight as hell the last few games.

Jack Lambert
03-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Third sweet sixteen in three years. I think with the talent and experience not getting pass this is a disappointment.

TXDawg
03-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Obviously, the season is a success, but I'm going to be sorely disappointed if they don't make the Final Four and you know they will be too.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2018, 09:01 AM
We went 32-1 and won the toughest conference. We returned everyone from a runner up team. Anything short of a Final 4 appearance is a failure. This isn’t men’s hoops where parity is at an all time high....there is a clear gap at the top, and our team has been Top 4 all year. Anything short of finishing in the top 4 is a failure for this team, and I guarantee you they would tell you that as well. Realistically, when you consider the draw we got, and the fact that both UConn and South Carolina are on the opposite side, you could really make the argument that anything short of a Title loss to UConn is a failure.

basedog
03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
I agree on sweet 16 to some extinct, but with this team I say the goal is final four. Anyway great season and packing the Hump is just flat ass awesome.

Btw, two things, better enjoy the ride, with the 3 seniors we lose after this year will be mighty hard to replace. Especially VV, special player with a great attitude and love for Msu!

Big T, I have to laugh at some of the dumb comments about her, she is still learning the game and like I have said before, EVERY team has to have a game plan to stop her first. You can't teach 6'7" especially for a girl, 21 points and 18 rebounds just sums it up. When you lead the Nation in offensive rebounds, well that just speaks for itself.
I just hope we can found another T for the future, she is a beast to say the least and to think she doesn't make our outside go is retarded.

Ok State was well coached last night, very athletic team, just not very deep. They are a much better team than a 8 or 9 seed I thought.

smootness
03-20-2018, 09:13 AM
We went 32-1 and won the toughest conference. We returned everyone from a runner up team. Anything short of a Final 4 appearance is a failure. This isn’t men’s hoops where parity is at an all time high....there is a clear gap at the top, and our team has been Top 4 all year. Anything short of finishing in the top 4 is a failure for this team, and I guarantee you they would tell you that as well. Realistically, when you consider the draw we got, and the fact that both UConn and South Carolina are on the opposite side, you could really make the argument that anything short of a Title loss to UConn is a failure.

You absolutely can't call losing in the Final 4 a failure. I could see the argument if we lose to NC State, but anything beyond that can't be considered a 'failure'. I'll certainly be disappointed if we don't make the Final 4, but a loss in the Elite 8 to a 2 or 3 is not a failure.

And we didn't return everyone. We returned a bunch, even most, but Dillingham and Richardson were definitely losses, and Chapel was a loss, too, especially considering that we then lost Ameshya Williams early on this year. That is all of our 4's and our best defender and emotional leader. Those are definitely losses.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2018, 09:14 AM

That we were the toughest conference is debatable. I think us and USClight are the only ones left. There is a certain amount of luck in getting to a Final Four for everyone except the UCONN women.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2018, 09:18 AM
You absolutely can't call losing in the Final 4 a failure. I could see the argument if we lose to NC State, but anything beyond that can't be considered a 'failure'. I'll certainly be disappointed if we don't make the Final 4, but a loss in the Elite 8 to a 2 or 3 is not a failure.

And we didn't return everyone. We returned a bunch, even most, but Dillingham and Richardson were definitely losses, and Chapel was a loss, too, especially considering that we then lost Ameshya Williams early on this year. That is all of our 4's and our best defender and emotional leader. Those are definitely losses.
Don’t forget Okori. We miss her for sure. We aren’t nearly as deep as we were last year and depth is a KEY factor. We could survive T in early foul trouble last year even deep in the tourney. That isn’t the case this time. In fact other than at the point we drop off considerably. I think those players are going to be very good, but they are very inexperienced. Anybody that says we have everything back didn’t pay much attention last year.

basedog
03-20-2018, 09:22 AM
When you win the Sec conference outright, it's a big accomplishment. I would never say this is a failure season regardless, maybe disappointing to some IF or when we loose but a failure, I think not.

LC Dawg
03-20-2018, 09:25 AM
I will be disappointed if we don't make the Final Four but I wouldn't consider that a failure. There is certainly a gap between the top women's teams and most teams but there are a lot more good women's teams now than even a few years ago - Mississippi State is an example. Our bracket has the 1, 2, 3, and 4 seeds left. That means we will have to beat two very good teams to make the Final Four. I think UConn's dominance kind of clouds people into thinking top teams should just steamroll through the tournament.

smootness
03-20-2018, 09:27 AM
That we were the toughest conference is debatable.

Totally agree. The SEC is looking weaker than expected in the NCAAT. You could certainly still make a case that the SEC was toughest this year, but having Missouri go down to a 12, LSU go down to an 11, UGA squeak by a 13 and then get crushed in the 2nd round, and Tennessee go down to a 6 doesn't look good. SC hasn't looked great against weak competition, and A&M made the Sweet 16 but just barely.

The ACC and Pac 12 both got 4 in the S16 to the SEC's 3. Tough to say the SEC is definitely the toughest.

smootness
03-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Don’t forget Okori. We miss her for sure. We aren’t nearly as deep as we were last year and depth is a KEY factor. We could survive T in early foul trouble last year even deep in the tourney. That isn’t the case this time. In fact other than at the point we drop off considerably. I think those players are going to be very good, but they are very inexperienced. Anybody that says we have everything back didn’t pay much attention last year.

Yep, absolutely, forgot her.

tcdog70
03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Their season is officially a success. Regardless what happens from here- they lived up to expectations and had a great year. Anything past this is gravy. Enjoy

I'm sure we all will be disappointed with anything less that a final 4--but you are correct 34-1 is living up to expectations but we would like an extra helping of gravy.

Coach34
03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

We didn’t return everyone and have no depth. The starters barely left the floor playing against an 8 seed. They finished in the top 16. It’s been a successful season.

And not sure if you looked- but the SEC has dropped a lot of games in the women’s tourney

BeardoMSU
03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
We went 32-1 and won the toughest conference. We returned everyone from a runner up team. Anything short of a Final 4 appearance is a failure. This isn?t men?s hoops where parity is at an all time high....there is a clear gap at the top, and our team has been Top 4 all year. Anything short of finishing in the top 4 is a failure for this team, and I guarantee you they would tell you that as well. Realistically, when you consider the draw we got, and the fact that both UConn and South Carolina are on the opposite side, you could really make the argument that anything short of a Title loss to UConn is a failure.

This^^

Cooterpoot
03-20-2018, 10:32 AM
That we were the toughest conference is debatable. I think us and USClight are the only ones left. There is a certain amount of luck in getting to a Final Four for everyone except the UCONN women.

A&M is still playing. They get a tough ND team today though.

Dawgface
03-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Good season. No doubt. Final four will be a great season. Uconn is unstoppable tho.

tcdog70
03-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Good season. No doubt. Final four will be a great season. Uconn is unstoppable tho.

DEJU VU----Seems like I lived this already!!--maybe last year.

smootness
03-20-2018, 02:53 PM
DEJU VU----Seems like I lived this already!!--maybe last year.

Make no mistake - beating them this year is just as unlikely as it was last year. Obviously, that didn't stop us from actually pulling it off last year. But doing it again would be an absolutely monstrous achievement. Beating UCONN 2 years in a row in the NCAAT, when they're at this level, would be among the greatest achievements in team sports history.

Jarius
03-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Once you get to the sweet 16, a lot of factors have to go right. And a good bit of getting past the sweet 16 is luck.

Not if you are the 1 seed. We have a lot more talent than NC State. We should beat them by double digits. If they beat us it will be because they got lucky. If we beat them it will be because we did what we were supposed to do. It doesn't necessarily mean the season is a failure, but most people would be disappointed with a loss before the final 4.

smootness
03-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Not if you are the 1 seed. We have a lot more talent than NC State. We should beat them by double digits. If they beat us it will be because they got lucky. If we beat them it will be because we did what we were supposed to do. It doesn't necessarily mean the season is a failure, but most people would be disappointed with a loss before the final 4.

Correct, we absolutely should beat NC State. After that, though, it's hard to say that. Texas is a very, very good team. We are also very, very good and beat them last year...but once you're to that point against teams at that level, anything can happen.

Cooterpoot
03-20-2018, 03:19 PM
Texas is the most athletic team in the tournament not UConn. Inconsistent, but really athletic. Hoping they lose their next one.

basedog
03-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Texas is the most athletic team in the tournament not UConn. Inconsistent, but really athletic. Hoping they lose their next one.

Baylor is pretty good, better coached, better talent.

Ari Gold
03-20-2018, 04:40 PM

I admit I haven’t watched a second of A Texas game , but I will call BS on Texas being more athletic team than Uconn.

msbulldog
03-20-2018, 05:16 PM
I admit I haven’t watched a second of A Texas game , but I will call BS on Texas being more athletic team than Uconn.

Yep I've watched UConn several times, if there is anybody more athletic, time for the kryptonite.

99jc
03-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Yep I've watched UConn several times, if there is anybody more athletic, time for the kryptonite.

pull away at the end...Louisville and Baylor are both teams we wear down. our worst matchup is South Carolina but they are toast after UConn bitch slaps them around again. SC would have never won the national championship last year if we hadn't beat UConn.

DawgRockur
03-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Anything short of losing the national championship game to UConn is an epic, crushing disappointment.

This. Only this.

DawgRockur
03-20-2018, 06:22 PM

This is absurd, worst post of 2018 absurd. We have a better team this year. Anything short of playing in the natty is not living up to expectations.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 06:25 PM
This is absurd, worst post of 2018 absurd. We have a better team this year. Anything short of playing in the natty is not living up to expectations.

Whose expectations? Yours?

DawgRockur
03-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Whose expectations? Yours?

Hello, Sheep. Nice job of answering your own questions. This is our coach and the teams expectations.

I get it, 34 posts controversial shit to generate discussion for his website, but this is pure stupidity.

Coach34
03-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Hello, Sheep. Nice job of answering your own questions. This is our coach and the teams expectations.

I get it, 34 posts controversial shit to generate discussion for his website, but this is pure stupidity.

You are an idiot. In basketball and baseball- when a team makes the final 16- its been a successful season. Doesnt mean you have reached your goals or achieved what you want- but when you make the Sweet 16- you season has been successful.

If we get upset by NC State- it doesnt mean our 2018 season was unsuccessful. It was a successful year. We just didnt go as far in the Tourney as we had hoped.

tcdog70
03-20-2018, 10:25 PM
You are an idiot. In basketball and baseball- when a team makes the final 16- its been a successful season. Doesnt mean you have reached your goals or achieved what you want- but when you make the Sweet 16- you season has been successful.

If we get upset by NC State- it doesnt mean our 2018 season was unsuccessful. It was a successful year. We just didnt go as far in the Tourney as we had hoped.

You are spot on.

HoopsDawg
03-20-2018, 11:17 PM

If this were men?s hoops I would agree. Much more parity and chance for an upset. This team needs to make the F4.

dawgday166
03-20-2018, 11:18 PM
If this were men?s hoops I would agree. Much more parity and chance for an upset. This team needs to make the F4.

I'm somewhat concerned with them making F4. They ain't hitting on all cylinders right now. I'm afeered they may have peaked too early. We'll see.

tcdog70
03-21-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm somewhat concerned with them making F4. They ain't hitting on all cylinders right now. I'm afeered they may have peaked too early. We'll see.

see, i'm not worried about that. The deal is from here on out We are playing really good teams. unless we totally tank, i think we will make it. Keeping Big T on the court is huge. Rojo and Blair need to have their A game. look for Mo to step it up and shoot more. I think Teams are not focusing on Her and She will have the chance to burn them. It seems Her shot, when she misses, is short. If She gets her stroke back, she is Lamar Peters like.

smootness
03-21-2018, 09:32 AM

I don't think anyone would deny the 'successful season' part of your post. I think it was the 'lived up to expectations' part that some find disagreement with. I think this team and much of the fanbase now expects a Final 4.

Coach34
03-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Anybody outside of the UConn fanbase "expecting" a Final Four is unrealistic.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Basically like LSU fans saying it is an unsuccessful season if they lose in the Supers and don't make Omaha. In baseball, once you get into the Supers then anything can happen. Basketball is similar if someone goes off and is hitting 3s like crazy. Every team left is good enough on a good day to beat anyone including UConn. Teams like us and UConn just have more wiggle room in how great a day it takes to beat us. It probably takes more than one RAT to win but it can still be done.

smootness
03-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Eh. When you're ranked #2 and undefeated for essentially the entire season, after getting to the title game and beating UConn the year before, I don't think it's unrealistic or unreasonable.

Coach34
03-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Eh. When you're ranked #2 and undefeated for essentially the entire season, after getting to the title game and beating UConn the year before, I don't think it's unrealistic or unreasonable.

If you have really watched our team play- you know they arent good enough to win it all. It looks like we caught the SEC in kind of a down year and hey- that part of it. I'll be surprised if we beat Texas

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 09:51 AM

I think Coach's point is any year you make a Sweet 16 is a "successful" season. You might have higher goals but at the end of the day, that is a benchmark level goal. I think only UConn could truly set their benchmark level at the Final Four because they have consistently done it for so long.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2018, 09:53 AM
If you have really watched our team play- you know they arent good enough to win it all. It looks like we caught the SEC in kind of a down year and hey- that part of it. I'll be surprised if we beat Texas

I think if Blair and Ro are hitting 3s and VV isn't just settling for jumpers then we can beat anyone as long at big T isn't in foul trouble. We play defense well enough to give us a shot every time on the floor. Hopefully Vic figured out not to wear them out in practice on short rest. We don't have the depth if we get too worn out.

Coach34
03-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Our depth is 1 player- Holmes.

I think we will be worn down by Texas and their athleticism

basedog
03-21-2018, 10:09 AM
I think IF we play Texas they will be the best team we would have played other than maybe South Carolina, it should be a good good game to watch as they play fast.

smootness
03-21-2018, 10:39 AM

I've watched us, and I know we may not be quite as good as our record indicates. That said, I don't know that there's any team in the country that is clearly better than us outside of UConn. I don't think we have much of a chance of beating them again, but you never know if someone else can jump up and knock them off again like we did last year. I think we definitely have a shot of beating everybody else. Maybe not a great chance of running through the thing unscathed, but I don't know that anyone else can say that, either.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2018, 10:49 AM
I admit I haven?t watched a second of A Texas game , but I will call BS on Texas being more athletic team than Uconn.

I think you read that wrong. I said "the most athletic team in the tournament not UConn". Meaning UConn is the only team more athletic.

Ari Gold
03-24-2018, 01:31 PM
I think you read that wrong. I said "the most athletic team in the tournament not UConn". Meaning UConn is the only team more athletic.

Yes I did read it wrong . But apparently they weren’t athletic enough to reach the elite 8 ..

JohnnyQuid
03-24-2018, 02:35 PM

that's unfair way to judge success and good way to end up being always miserable. in a single game where a loss ends your season all it takes is a hot shooting night along with good bounces and luck - and a more talented team ends up getting beat. on paper yes we should face uconn for the title but the variables that factor in to win/loss are innumerable when the game is played on the floor.

DawgRockur
03-24-2018, 02:57 PM

Your ?wrongness? is disgusting. You?ve been wrong about everything in this thread. We?re playing UCLA.

tcdog70
03-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Your ?wrongness? is disgusting. You?ve been wrong about everything in this thread. We?re playing UCLA.

34 very seldom gets anything right when talking Basketball. His list of wrongness is Hugh. The one that now make him look foolish is His opinion. Of Big T. He was right in saying we won't beat Texas, cause Texas took their whooped ass home.

basedog
03-25-2018, 11:35 AM
I thought Texas would have beaten Ucla, but watching Ucla they are very quick and fast. The point guard for the Bruins is very good, we gotta slow her down as she can create and she is very good on D.

Ari Gold
03-25-2018, 11:43 AM
We will defend UCLA enough and they won’t be able to stop us baring foul trouble from T and The Queen
Which I have been dating since the tourney started if Those 2 stay out of foul trouble we will see Uconn. in the finals