PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Baseball

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 07:47 PM
Currently sitting at 19-2 with the best rpi in baseball. Butch doing work. If we don't get a "big fish" I'd be perfectly happy with butch. Or ming for that matter. They would both be at the top of my list of "non big fish"

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Just looking through the schedule and man oh man do they ha d a tough league slate.

Coach34
03-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Ming and Butch are Plan B’s. But they are solid Plan B’s

i still 100% believe we hire a young HC in his late 30’s or early 40’s- from a program that is a successful on a smaller level

shoeless joe
03-19-2018, 07:58 PM
Butch is a much bigger fish than a lot of folks think. His in game and in dugout persona are not what you get in recruiting and meeting rooms. I would take butch in a heart beat. Not saying that there aren't a few guys I'd check on first but butch takes a back seat to very very few.

Bulldog1
03-19-2018, 08:00 PM
I prefer Butch over Nick. But that’s just me.

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Butch is a much bigger fish than a lot of folks think. His in game and in dugout persona are not what you get in recruiting and meeting rooms. I would take butch in a heart beat. Not saying that there aren't a few guys I'd check on first but butch takes a back seat to very very few.

I have heard this before too. They say his ability on the recruiting trail is amazing.

weblow
03-19-2018, 08:40 PM

This. This right here.

Edited to add: From a few people that know him very well. He is not interested in returning. He feels he has built something at Auburn and is not interested in leaving for any amount of money right now. That is what is he telling those that are close to him at least.

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 08:41 PM

i still 100% believe we hire a young HC in his late 30’s or early 40’s- from a program that is a successful on a smaller level

He is def a heck of a plan b.

HoopsDawg
03-19-2018, 08:53 PM

You just described Heefner.

Coach34
03-19-2018, 08:55 PM
They say his ability on the recruiting trail is amazing.

Crazy. Have heard heard Butch is Croom is on the recruiting trail- but the assts are gold

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Crazy. Have heard heard Butch is Croom is on the recruiting trail- but the assts are gold

I honestly don't have a clue, but I've heard he's dynamite as a recruiter

Bothrops
03-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Currently sitting at 19-2 with the best rpi in baseball. Butch doing work. If we don't get a "big fish" I'd be perfectly happy with butch. Or ming for that matter. They would both be at the top of my list of "non big fish"

We gotta get a big fish to go with our big stadium.

SailingDawg
03-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Ming and Butch are Plan B?s. But they are solid Plan B?s

i still 100% believe we hire a young HC in his late 30?s or early 40?s- from a program that is a successful on a smaller level

Got any more them LSU assistants?

shoeless joe
03-19-2018, 09:25 PM

I've seen it first hand. Butch is charismatic and will get you fired up about the game. Love listening to him talk and dissect the game.

maroonmania
03-19-2018, 09:33 PM
This. This right here.

Edited to add: From a few people that know him very well. He is not interested in returning. He feels he has built something at Auburn and is not interested in leaving for any amount of money right now. That is what is he telling those that are close to him at least.

Maybe so, and Auburn has a pretty nice facility, but nobody cares about baseball at Auburn and never will. But Butch may not worry about that, may feel more like that's his program.

Todd4State
03-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Here's my thing about Butch and Mingione- I'm not confident that they could win a National Title here.

I'd rather get another up and coming assistant than someone that has ties to us that I don't think has the aptitiude to take us where we want to go.

Pit Bull
03-20-2018, 12:07 AM
Ming and Butch are Plan B?s. But they are solid Plan B?s

i still 100% believe we hire a young HC in his late 30?s or early 40?s- from a program that is a successful on a smaller level

We better give him a testosterone level test then, or something that determines sex drive. If it registers off the charts, I'd be wary.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Here's my thing about Butch and Mingione- I'm not confident that they could win a National Title here.

I'd rather get another up and coming assistant than someone that has ties to us that I don't think has the aptitiude to take us where we want to go.
I sort of agree, but I think if it the big shots turn Cohen down, he’ll pick between Butch and Ming instead of another assistant. Cohen is not the type of person to be burned twice.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-20-2018, 10:37 AM
How important is this hire for Cohen's career?

Cooterpoot
03-20-2018, 10:39 AM
I like Butch if we fail at hiring a good coach. Butch has the best pitcher in America. He's going to win some games with him on the mound. I really don't want Minge.

Cooterpoot
03-20-2018, 10:41 AM
How important is this hire for Cohen's career?

Pretty big, but not as big as some might think. Big, because he's a baseball guy and we just dropped a ton of money into the program. Not as big, because it's still baseball, not football. JoMo is a bigger hire for him.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 03:29 PM

Brad Bohanon

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Brad Bohanon

He’s at Bammer, right?

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2018, 03:33 PM
He’s at Bammer, right?

Is now but was at Auburn before.

He’s an elite evaluator and recruiter.

Bulldog1
03-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Is now but was at Auburn before.

He’s an elite evaluator and recruiter.

Yep. Just wondering if that’s where he was

State82
03-20-2018, 06:12 PM

This is the boat I'm on also. There's just something I'm not comfortable with there. And I really can't put my finger on it.

TNDawg35
03-20-2018, 06:29 PM
To me, Butch has done a better job than Ming. Ming is playing with Henderson’s players right now. I want to see his own team before giving him a big job. I would be ok with Butch, but I honestly don’t think he would leave to come back to work under Cohen again. But I’m not sold on Ming yet. I would be horribly disappointed with him.