PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Rogers just laid the two names out there

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 04:18 PM
McDonnell and Schlosnagle... and he said he feels confident we could get one of them according to his sources. Wow!!

Coach34
03-16-2018, 04:21 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjI5VtIhHvK37WYo/giphy.gif

Commercecomet24
03-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Rogers is generally tied into everything regarding college baseball. If it's coming from him it's extremely likely that it's true. My choice would be McDonnell.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-16-2018, 04:27 PM
Schlossnagel currently makes $1.4 mil at TCU

msstate7
03-16-2018, 04:31 PM

Really hope we do not pay that kinda money.

ShotgunDawg
03-16-2018, 04:38 PM
I see McDonnell’s and Schloss’ agents are working their ass off to get those guys raises

Coach34
03-16-2018, 04:40 PM
I see McDonnell’s and Schloss’ agents are working their ass off to get those guys raised.

Yep- their names get tossed around this Spring. Raises and/or contract extensions announced for them after the season. Neither considered us seriously

Todd4State
03-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Then you don't want to win bad enough.

Quaoarsking
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Why? Those are 2 of the best coaches in America.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 04:46 PM

It's going to cost that much to get a Jay Johnson type of hire

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 04:46 PM

What you want to pay?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Larry T, is that you?

tcdog70
03-16-2018, 04:52 PM
If you want to be the Big Dog, you must pay Big Dog price

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 04:56 PM

You're crazy

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2018, 05:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsMxX8BCYAAnPWm.jpg
What you want to pay?

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Hilarious

HoopsDawg
03-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Dan Heefner please.

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 05:16 PM

I Lol’ed

msstate7
03-16-2018, 05:17 PM
Howland makes what, 2? I would rather re-sign him and invest big money in football assistants. I say 1 million tops for a baseball coach. If we can do above and pay 1.4, so be it. I want basketball and football taken care of though... do not want to be losing football assistants bc of pay

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Howland makes what, 2? I would rather re-sign him and invest big money in football assistants. I say 1 million tops for a baseball coach. If we can do above and pay 1.4, so be it. I want basketball and football taken care of though... do not want to be losing football assistants bc of pay

Ok, I agree with this (and the other stuff).

RocketDawg
03-16-2018, 05:35 PM

Georgia just paid over $3M for a basketball coach. I don't know why baseball coaches are generally worth less than basketball, but they are. I'd rather it be the other way around. Probably because college basketball is a more nationally important/played sport.

msstate7
03-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Georgia just paid over $3M for a basketball coach. I don't know why baseball coaches are generally worth less than basketball, but they are. I'd rather it be the other way around. Probably because college basketball is a more nationally important/played sport.

Basketball makes more money

RocketDawg
03-16-2018, 05:40 PM

So why did we just pay $55M for a baseball stadium renovation? Will we ever recoup that expenditure?

Todd4State
03-16-2018, 05:56 PM

This entire post is a red herring.

I'm pretty sure Howland will get a raise after this year. Basketball and football ARE taken care of and we will pay our football assistants well (See Todd Grantham). With room to add raises as they succeed in the future. And none of that is at the expense of baseball. Not to mention not bringing Dan back saves us at least 2.5 million a year alone. We're not going to lose football assistants because we're paying our HEAD baseball coach 1.5-2 million a year. That's ridiculous. I'd like an article where TCU, Louisville, Virginia, or anyone else that is paying a head baseball coach over a million has lost a football assistant coach because the baseball coach is making more than them.

If anything it's baseball's turn to get some attention because right now that program is in far more disarray than either the football or basketball program are.

I believe resource wise our baseball program- resources being defined as people/alumni that care, the interest that the school puts into baseball- has more potential than Louisville and TCU among others. 2 million is well in line with what our potential is to an elite level coach to come here.

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 06:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Howland will get a raise after this year. Basketball and football ARE taken care of and we will pay our football assistants well (See Todd Grantham). With room to add raises as they succeed in the future. And none of that is at the expense of baseball. Not to mention not bringing Dan back saves us at least 2.5 million a year alone. We're not going to lose football assistants because we're paying our HEAD baseball coach 1.5-2 million a year. That's ridiculous. I'd like an article where TCU, Louisville, Virginia, or anyone else that is paying a head baseball coach over a million has lost a football assistant coach because the baseball coach is making more than them.

If anything it's baseball's turn to get some attention because right now that program is in far more disarray than either the football or basketball program are.

I believe resource wise our baseball program- resources being defined as people/alumni that care, the interest that the school puts into baseball- has more potential than Louisville and TCU among others. 2 million is well in line with what our potential is to an elite level coach to come here.

Outstanding post Todd

msstate7
03-16-2018, 06:14 PM

You wanna pay a baseball coach 2 million? Kevin O?Sullivan does not make that... no where close

msstate7
03-16-2018, 06:19 PM
You wanna pay a baseball coach 2 million? Kevin O?Sullivan does not make that... no where close

According to this site, 2 million is in line with mlb manager pay

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-mlb-mangers/

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 06:21 PM

Mike Matheny makes $700K

Todd4State
03-16-2018, 06:32 PM

Absolutely. I don't care what Florida is paying O'Sullivan because that doesn't matter. If we want a coach of that caliber we need to be willing to pay and as an alum of MSU I would be totally for it.

msstate7
03-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Absolutely. I don't care what Florida is paying O'Sullivan because that doesn't matter. If we want a coach of that caliber we need to be willing to pay and as an alum of MSU I would be totally for it.

Like I said above if does not hamstring football and basketball, whatever... pay em. I really hope that if baseball does go down this road that ticket price does not skyrocket like football did

Todd4State
03-16-2018, 06:37 PM

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-mlb-mangers/

And Nick Saban makes more than any of the NFL coaches except for Bill Bellicheck. Maybe more if you include bonuses. Again- you comparing our coaching job to MLB jobs doesn't matter.

Alabama football was sort of similar to us before they hired Saban. They had the desire and resources in terms of fans and facilities but they weren't meeting their own personal expectations. What did they do? They spent a crazy amount on Saban going back to him several times until they offered him enough money where he couldn't say no. If we do that for a comparable coach relative to baseball I am 100% behind it.

msstate7
03-16-2018, 06:40 PM
And Nick Saban makes more than any of the NFL coaches except for Bill Bellicheck. Maybe more if you include bonuses. Again- you comparing our coaching job to MLB jobs doesn't matter.

Alabama football was sort of similar to us before they hired Saban. They had the desire and resources in terms of fans and facilities but they weren't meeting their own personal expectations. What did they do? They spent a crazy amount on Saban going back to him several times until they offered him enough money where he couldn't say no. If we do that for a comparable coach relative to baseball I am 100% behind it.

Alabama football has won a natty in every decade since the 20s except the 50s and 80s. Comparing us to them is probably a stretch

Todd4State
03-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Like I said above if does not hamstring football and basketball, whatever... pay em. I really hope that if baseball does go down this road that ticket price does not skyrocket like football did

Hamstringing the other sports is not a concern with baseball at all. If anything we have more money than usual to spend- 3 million at least if you factor in Dan and Cann leaving.

If baseball has a quality team I absolutely would pay it- honestly would probably go more than I do now. Cohen just dropped the prices on football tickets in some areas and concessions are decreasing as well. I don't expect ticket prices to skyrocket.

Todd4State
03-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Alabama football has won a natty in every decade since the 20s except the 50s and 80s. Comparing us to them is probably a stretch

Again- so what? SEC baseball wasn't even relevant until WE made it relevant in the 1980's. I'm comparing the fanbases- not the overall success of the programs between the two. Just because we don't have a National Championship- it's ridiculous to not even try when we have the resources to potentially be even better than we are now. To me, the fact that we don't have one is even more reason to get an elite coach rather than try to save a buck.

Our program isn't as shitty as some of our fans make it out to be. There are only a few SEC programs that have been to the Finals in Omaha since 2010- we are one of them. We have won the SEC within the past three seasons. We have two SR appearances the past two years. MSU has a LOT going for us right now. We're just dealing with a lot of bad fortune and transition at the same time- but our future is extremely bright and our profile has been raised quite a bit since 2010. I daresay it's better now than the 80's.

Jack Lambert
03-16-2018, 07:05 PM
It's going to cost that much to get a Jay Johnson type of hire

I figure our baseball program rate spending that kind of money.

maroonmania
03-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Basketball may make more money but MSU fans, by way of voting with their butts in the seats, supports men's basketball third in men's sports behind football and baseball. I would like to have a good men's basketball program, and I admire the job Howland's doing, but I'm not sure we really deserve one with the fan support we give our team. I really thought once we had a competitive team the fans would start coming back but we couldn't even get a big crowd for the TN home game with the NCAA tournament on the line. Right now MSU men's basketball doesn't seem to be a priority with MSU fans. I guess a majority of the basketball fans we have now have converted over to the women's team.

msbulldog
03-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Again- so what? SEC baseball wasn't even relevant until WE made it relevant in the 1980's. I'm comparing the fanbases- not the overall success of the programs between the two. Just because we don't have a National Championship- it's ridiculous to not even try when we have the resources to potentially be even better than we are now. To me, the fact that we don't have one is even more reason to get an elite coach rather than try to save a buck.

Our program isn't as shitty as some of our fans make it out to be. There are only a few SEC programs that have been to the Finals in Omaha since 2010- we are one of them. We have won the SEC within the past three seasons. We have two SR appearances the past two years. MSU has a LOT going for us right now. We're just dealing with a lot of bad fortune and transition at the same time- but our future is extremely bright and our profile has been raised quite a bit since 2010. I daresay it's better now than the 80's.

We started making it relevant in the '70's, young man. I know I was sitting in the pasture. LOL! I agree with everything your saying Todd! Rep given.

BuckyIsAB****
03-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Then you don't want to win bad enough.

Exactly.

BuckyIsAB****
03-16-2018, 08:13 PM
I wonder if C34 will be happy if we get one of them.

HancockCountyDog
03-16-2018, 08:32 PM
McDonnell is available, the situation at Louisville is pretty toxic.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 08:36 PM

what is toxic about their baseball and football programs?

HancockCountyDog
03-16-2018, 08:43 PM
what is toxic about their baseball and football programs?

They just lost their popular AD who made baseball a priority. Jurich was a big reason McDonnell was hired, and very popular.

I’m just saying there is a crack in the dam there.

MarketingBully
03-16-2018, 08:44 PM

For what it?s worth, McDonnell is who I think we get.

MarketingBully
03-16-2018, 08:45 PM
They just lost their popular AD who made baseball a priority. Jurich was a big reason McDonnell was hired, and very popular.

Don’t tell C34 that. Logic seems to escape him.

Commercecomet24
03-16-2018, 08:47 PM

Right on, Todd!

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Me too

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 09:07 PM
If I were a betting man I'd lay odds on one of the 3 ..

McDonnell
Corbin
Johnson

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Up until recently I've felt just like 34.. that we were not pulling a top 25 programs coach but after what I've been hearing the last few days I'd be willing to bet we hire a big fish. Top 10-15 coach in America. And I believe the rumor is true that we will pay 1.5-2mil. Boosters have made it known to Cohen and Keenum that we spent 55mil on a stadium therefore money is no option in hiring a coach because we wanna fill that new palace up. A big name coach is the way to do that.

Jack Lambert
03-16-2018, 09:10 PM

Can he keep his dick in his pants?

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Can he keep his dick in his pants?

I’m dead.

basedog
03-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Some of you guys need to take your maroon shades off, it want get serious on a new coach for a while. We are a long ways from signing a new coach and believe me the high profile coaches have agents who will tell media guys a good rumor cause $$$$$ is the key to their clients.

Relax and let's wait and see, quit shooting your wad in March***

Coach34
03-16-2018, 10:35 PM

No- you said TOXIC. Toxic

There is nothing toxic about Louisville football or baseball. And no AD is going to come in and **** with a baseball program that has made 3 CWS in the last 5 years- and has one of the highest paid baseball coaches in the country.

Louisville baseball is ranked 12th in the country- nothing "toxic" about it

Steakonastick
03-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Here is Cohen’s current top 5 from what i have gathered. I can vouche that all 5 have reached out to Cohen about the job.

1). McDonell
2). Schlossnagle
3). Tadlock
4). Mingione
5). Butch

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Here is Cohen’s current top 5 from what i have gathered. I can vouche that all 5 have reached out to Cohen about the job.

1). McDonell
2). Schlossnagle
3). Tadlock
4). Mingione
5). Butch
Good deal. I believe you, as you’re usually spot on accurate when it comes to Baseball.

Homedawg
03-16-2018, 11:02 PM

So let's not pay the only job that has a chance to win a nc to the others? Makes sense.......

Homedawg
03-16-2018, 11:03 PM

Because baseball, other than about a handful of schools loses money. And we don't. Make money. So there that.

Homedawg
03-16-2018, 11:05 PM

We aren't paying a baseball coach 2 million. Not yet

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 11:06 PM

1). McDonell
2). Schlossnagle
3). Tadlock
4). Mingione
5). Butch

So from what you can tell, Corbin is below Nick and Butch on the list?

Homedawg
03-16-2018, 11:08 PM
Hamstringing the other sports is not a concern with baseball at all. If anything we have more money than usual to spend- 3 million at least if you factor in Dan and Cann leaving.

If baseball has a quality team I absolutely would pay it- honestly would probably go more than I do now. Cohen just dropped the prices on football tickets in some areas and concessions are decreasing as well. I don't expect ticket prices to skyrocket.

Not following, cann leaving doesn't save us money on the baseball portion. And while we are saving now on jomo that won't last long AND we have other coaches getting raises every year see Vic!!! And his sport is a money trough.

Homedawg
03-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Don’t tell C34 that. Logic seems to escape him.

I'll go w coach we won't get McDonnell either. You can screen shot this or whatever but he's not leaving Louisville.

msstate7
03-16-2018, 11:11 PM
So let's not pay the only job that has a chance to win a nc to the others? Makes sense.......

We have more talent on our basketball team than our baseball team and I do not see that changing any time soon.

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 11:11 PM

1). McDonell
2). Schlossnagle
3). Tadlock
4). Mingione
5). Butch

Any of those 5 would be excellent hires. I'd actually even put them in that order if Corbin or sully were not an option too. I'm not saying they are but I'm just saying of your list, I'd want McDonnell 1st and so on. If I had my choice of any coach in the country is would be , in this order... but there are dozens of there I'd be pumped abt.
McDonnell
Sully
Schlosnagle
Corbin

Steakonastick
03-16-2018, 11:14 PM
Corbin ain’t leaving vandy. He has an advantage at vandy that state can’t offer. So unless he wants a new challenge he won’t throw his name in the hat.

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 11:16 PM
Corbin ain’t leaving vandy. He has an advantage at vandy that state can’t offer. So unless he wants a new challenge he won’t throw his name in the hat.

Alright

Coach34
03-16-2018, 11:25 PM

neither is McDonnel or Schloss...they are looking for a raise- thats it.

LSU football is awesome- ended up with Ed O
Georgia football is awesome- hired Bama's DC who has never been a HC
Florida football is a top 10 job- hired Miss State's coach as their 3rd choice
Tenn football is a blue blood- hired their 7th choice as coach
OM basketball hired Kermit Davis
Georgia basketball- paying big bucks- hired a retread that was fired at his last job
SC football hired Fla's fired football coach who was Auburn's DC
Tenn basketball hired the coach Texas ran off
Florida basketball replaces Donovan with a mid-major coach
Auburn baseball hired a State assistant
Kentucky baseball hired a State assistant
OM football hired a moron
State football hired the nation's top OC for the 2nd time in a row

What about recent SEC hires in anything makes you think we are about to steal a top 15 head coach from another school?

msstate7
03-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Georgia basketball- paying big bucks- hired a retread that was fired at his last job

What about recent SEC hires in anything makes you think we are about to steal a top 15 head coach from another school?

I actually agree with you.

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Notice you left out aTm's football hire. Don't fit your argument so I can see why.

msstate7
03-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Notice you left out aTm's football hire. Don't fit your argument so I can see why.

Good point. We would have to pull a Todd and pay 2 million to do that sort of hire though

Coach34
03-16-2018, 11:41 PM

So the school with the most money in the SEC is the only one to pull it off in any sport in a season in which he had a losing season at a national power. OK.
You realize Fla State didnt fight to keep him right?

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Good point. We would have to pull a Todd and pay 2 million to do that sort of hire though

Our next hire will be the highest paid coach in college baseball

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 11:43 PM
So the school with the most money in the SEC is the only one to pull it off in any sport in a season in which he had a losing season at a national power. OK.

We have the money to hire anybody we want as our baseball coach. U know that.

msstate7
03-16-2018, 11:44 PM

8-year deal too

Coach34
03-16-2018, 11:46 PM
We have the money to hire anybody we want as our baseball coach. U know that.

no we dont. Thats a lie. We will be paying off that stadium for awhile. We arent broke but we arent bigtime.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 11:47 PM
8-year deal too

10 year deal at 7.5 per for a guy that had a losing season

preachermatt83
03-16-2018, 11:57 PM
no we dont. Thats a lie. We will be paying off that stadium for awhile. We arent broke but we arent bigtime.

A big hire actually pays it off quicker.

Todd4State
03-17-2018, 12:04 AM
Not following, cann leaving doesn't save us money on the baseball portion. And while we are saving now on jomo that won't last long AND we have other coaches getting raises every year see Vic!!! And his sport is a money trough.

It's definitely short term. Surely we didn't pay Cann his full 525K or whatever it was for three games and embarrassing the school. And I know we adjusted the salary of our coaches to reflect their new responsibilities.

BuckyIsAB****
03-17-2018, 12:11 AM
C34 hella mad

Coach34
03-17-2018, 12:21 AM
C34 hella mad

mad? About what?

I'm posting facts that other than Jimbo being hired by A&M this year after he had a losing a season and Fla State didnt care if he left or not- no SEC school has hired a coach away from another top program in recent memory. I posted it in hopes that our fanbase will keep some perspective this June, but I can see that probably doesnt happen.

I would love for State to be a trendsetter- znd if it happens in June I'll be ecstatic. But its highly unlikely. Not mad at all little guy. Just practical- like when I said Mullen was Mullen was leaving and you lost your shit.

Cooterpoot
03-17-2018, 05:08 AM
I think we get a good coach but we aren’t getting McDonnell or Schlossnagle. Just not happening. Move on.
We aren’t hiring Butch or Minge either. We’re going to pay $1M+ though.

msbulldog
03-17-2018, 08:19 AM

HA HA, Spot on, have a rep!

Quaoarsking
03-17-2018, 08:30 AM
mad? About what?

I'm posting facts that other than Jimbo being hired by A&M this year after he had a losing a season and Fla State didnt care if he left or not- no SEC school has hired a coach away from another top program in recent memory. I posted it in hopes that our fanbase will keep some perspective this June, but I can see that probably doesnt happen.

I would love for State to be a trendsetter- znd if it happens in June I'll be ecstatic. But its highly unlikely. Not mad at all little guy. Just practical- like when I said Mullen was Mullen was leaving and you lost your shit.

Bret Bielema? Didn't work out for Arkansas, but he did take Wisconsin to 3 straight Rose Bowls in 2010-2012, and was considered one of the top coaches in the country at the time.

Quaoarsking
03-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Louisville averaged 1,500 fans per game last year. It would be totally plausible for McDonnell to consider us even if the man who hired him hadn't been fired in disgrace and headed for jail.

msstate7
03-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Louisville averaged 1,500 fans per game last year. It would be totally plausible for McDonnell to consider us even if the man who hired him hadn't been fired in disgrace and headed for jail.

If it was just a looking at each program and deciding, I think it would be a tough pull for us. Factor in that Louisville is a much nicer place to live too, and I just do not see it. I think we would have to with an absurd contract (think Jimbo Fisher)

Bulldog1
03-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Georgia basketball- Tom Crean~ 3 sweet 16s at Indiana, Coached D Wade at Marquette.
Auburn basketball- Bruce Pearl~ Top 20 coach in country, look at Auburn this year.
Alabama basketball- Avery Johnson- Former NBA Coach, took Mavs to NBA finals.
Florida basketball- Mike White~ Top mid major coach at La Tech, many think he’ll take over for K at Duke.

South Carolina- Frank Martin~ Top 25 coach, took South Carolina to final four last year.
Mississippi State- Ben Howland~ 3 final fours at UCLA.
Ole Miss- Kermit Davis~ Great mid major coach, gets a shot at the big leagues.
Missouri- Cunzo Martin~ Took Tenn to sweet 16, great recruiter, Took Missori to NCAA tourney in his first year.

Cooterpoot
03-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Nobody cares about baseball attendance but State fans. We beat our chests about 15,000 fans while we fail to win championships each year. Sort of like the grove at OM. It?s time to get past that. You?d think with that kind of support, we?d be all in on baseball, but we haven?t been.

msstate7
03-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Nobody cares about baseball attendance but State fans. We beat our chests about 15,000 fans while we fail to win championships each year. Sort of like the grove at OM. It?s time to get past that. You?d think with that kind of support, we?d be all in on baseball, but we haven?t been.

I was at Sunday game. It was our 4th game in a new stadium, and no one was there. Those huge crowds are usually SBW, which the football team playing helps fill it up

Cooterpoot
03-17-2018, 09:10 AM
I was at Sunday game. It was our 4th game in a new stadium, and no one was there. Those huge crowds are usually SBW, which the football team playing helps fill it up

Our season ticket sales are strong though and we still average 4000+ for a midweek vs good teams. SEC weekends will close to double that when the weather is good. But, attendance doesn’t matter if we aren’t winning.

confucius say
03-17-2018, 09:28 AM

You think baseball coaches and recruits do not care? Come on. You think a top coach or recruit would not rather coach/play in front of 15k instead of 1500?

Also, mcd has done great at Louisville and still has not been able to win a title. He may think it would be easier to win a title here. No idea, but plausible given our better facilities and fan support. Cann was not even a proven head coach and had top 3 classes lined up over the next two years. Much easier to recruit to us than Louisvile.

confucius say
03-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Our season ticket sales are strong though and we still average 4000+ for a midweek vs good teams. SEC weekends will close to double that when the weather is good. But, attendance doesn’t matter if we aren’t winning.

It matters to prospective coaches and players.

msstate7
03-17-2018, 09:34 AM
You think baseball coaches and recruits do not care? Come on. You think a top coach or recruit would not rather coach/play in front of 15k instead of 1500?

Also, mcd has done great at Louisville and still has not been able to win a title. He may think it would be easier to win a title here. No idea, but plausible given our better facilities and fan support. Cann was not even a proven head coach and had top 3 classes lined up over the next two years. Much easier to recruit to us than Louisvile.

We have 9 CWS appearances in our history. McDonnell has 5 in his 11 years. Not sure it is easier to win here

Cooterpoot
03-17-2018, 10:10 AM
It matters to prospective coaches and players.

Have you seen our team? Have you noticed we hired a coach with zero experience last time? It matters much less than State fans can grasp.

BuckyIsAB****
03-17-2018, 10:26 AM
mad? About what?

Ima have to stop you there. You have never seen me lose my shit over Dan Mullen leaving. I was never a Mullenite. Cant let you get away with that one my friend

AlSwearengen
03-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Where did McDonnell grow up? Go to school? Maybe he prefers small towns to big cities. Is Louisville nicer than Starkville? Yeah but he could be tired of traffic. No one here knows what any particular coach is thinking, their likes or dislikes, etc.

Do I expect to lure a top ten coach at an established program? No, but if it does happen, I won’t have to pick myself up off of the floor either.

Keep in mind that baseball people are a different breed. With most of them, give them the coolest bat, glove, and park and they are in heaven. Doesn’t matter where that is.

Spiderman
03-17-2018, 11:14 AM

If I could wave a magic wand, that's who I'd pick. Plus, OM fan would lose his collective shit.

basedog
03-17-2018, 11:19 AM
McDonnell ain't coming to Starkville, you can book it Dano!

Here is a fact, he can host easier at a school such as Louisville, than he can at Starkville (can you say tougher competition in the SEC). He is well liked and has built his program with much support and they will give him a huge raise even if he stiffs Starkville. Lastly, we Msu baseball fans are in the top as for as passion, but we ain't even in the top 4 in the SEC as for as programs. Passion I say, Lsu, Om, Arkansas, Sc and A&M have a bunch of passion as well.
He would be crazy to leave Louisville and let me be on record to say I sure wish he would come to Starkville, ain't gonna happen.

I've been a huge Msu baseball fan from the Paul Gregory and the beginning of Leftfield Lounge, yes I have passion.

confucius say
03-17-2018, 11:48 AM
We have 9 CWS appearances in our history. McDonnell has 5 in his 11 years. Not sure it is easier to win here

I said titles. Maybe a distinction without much of a difference though.

Regardless, Louisville is what it is bc of mcd. History tells us it?s not easy to win there. Msu has been winning for nearly 50 years despite some average coaches.

confucius say
03-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Have you seen our team? Have you noticed we hired a coach with zero experience last time? It matters much less than State fans can grasp.

I can tell you first hand it matters. So can others on here who have coached or played. You want to play and coach at a place where it is important if you have the choice. I?m not saying mcd would leave, but I guarantee you he would rather have our fan base and facilities than Louisville?s.

preachermatt83
03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
If I could wave a magic wand, that's who I'd pick. Plus, OM fan would lose his collective shit.

This all day.

preachermatt83
03-17-2018, 02:14 PM
I said titles. Maybe a distinction without much of a difference though.

Regardless, Louisville is what it is bc of mcd. History tells us it?s not easy to win there. Msu has been winning for nearly 50 years despite some average coaches.

Outstanding post

Todd4State
03-17-2018, 02:41 PM
McDonnell ain't coming to Starkville, you can book it Dano!

Here is a fact, he can host easier at a school such as Louisville, than he can at Starkville (can you say tougher competition in the SEC). He is well liked and has built his program with much support and they will give him a huge raise even if he stiffs Starkville. Lastly, we Msu baseball fans are in the top as for as passion, but we ain't even in the top 4 in the SEC as for as programs. Passion I say, Lsu, Om, Arkansas, Sc and A&M have a bunch of passion as well.
He would be crazy to leave Louisville and let me be on record to say I sure wish he would come to Starkville, ain't gonna happen.

I've been a huge Msu baseball fan from the Paul Gregory and the beginning of Leftfield Lounge, yes I have passion.

If you look at history it's easier to win a National Title at a SEC school versus an ACC school. And I think the ACC is second to the SEC as far as difficulty goes- Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, and Virginia among others are all very good program that are about on par with any SEC school. Then you have teams like Wake Forest and Duke that are upstarts and can surprise sometimes.

I seen it dawg
03-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Well **** this staff full of ****ing pussies. Gut it.

msstate7
03-17-2018, 03:44 PM
delete

Coach34
03-17-2018, 04:00 PM
It doesn’t matter if McDonnell started Louisville’s success- all recruits know now is that Louisville wins and they have nice facilities.

LSU wasn’t LSU before Bertman
State wasn’t State before Gregory
OM wasn’t OM before Bianco
SC wasn’t a power before Tanner
Corbin built Vandy
whata his name built Fla State
Frasier built Miami
O’Conner has built Virginia

eveey good program has their builder and then the program usually sustains once it has achieved success for over a decade

ATTILLA THE DOG
03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
It doesn’t matter if McDonnell started Louisville’s success- all recruits know now is that Louisville wins and they have nice facilities.

LSU wasn’t LSU before Bertman
State wasn’t State before Gregory
OM wasn’t OM before Bianco
SC wasn’t a power before Tanner
Corbin built Vandy
Frasier built Miami
O’Conner has built Virginia

eveey good program has their builder and then the program usually sustains once it has achieved success for over a decade

Who ever we get,it looks like it will be a total rebuild.

Coach34
03-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Agreed. Baffles me why Cann didn’t recruit a juco catcher and SS for this season. We needed some veterans

Todd4State
03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Agreed. Baffles me why Cann didn’t recruit a juco catcher and SS for this season. We needed some veterans

We did recruit a JUCO catcher- Gilbert.

Homedawg
03-17-2018, 04:32 PM
We are void of hitting talent. Fr will be ok.but 4 true fr in a sec lineup is a disaster as I've said before. Mangum is mangum And Stovall is having a horrific year. The rest can't hit period.

msstate7
03-17-2018, 04:33 PM
We are void of hitting talent. Fr will be ok.but 4 true fr in a sec lineup is a disaster as I've said before. Mangum is mangum And Stovall is having a horrific year. The rest can't hit period.

Vandy has 4 freshmen position players starting too

Homedawg
03-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Vandy has 4 freshmen position players starting too

Yep. Two things, those guys are more elite and second, the other five guys can hit a little. Ours can't. 4 tr fr isnt a recipe for excellence.

maroonmania
03-17-2018, 04:46 PM

Agree, to me comparing football and basketball recent hires with baseball is apples and oranges. Fan support, facilities and the ability to recruit are probably the most important factors to a baseball coach, or they would be to me. Fact is, football and basketball are big time sports at any P5 school so you are not offering much besides money for one to slide from one job to another unless its to a Top 5-10 job where its just much easier to win a NC (if that is the biggest factor for a coach). I don't know that we will get a sitting Top 15 coach or not, odds are not, but if a coach has a program winning yet very few people at the school care then I would think it would be attractive to go where fans do care in a big way. And McDonnell will not make his decision based on the fact Louisville has been winning bigger lately than we have because he knows HE is the reason that Louisville is doing much of anything. They certainly never did squat before he arrived. Wouldn't you rather be leading a program at a school that can win big where the fans actually care versus win big at a school where most fans don't care? Baseball is a sport where there is a tremendous divergence among schools on whether or not fans really care if the team is good, football and basketball are not.

basedog
03-17-2018, 05:04 PM
If you look at history it's easier to win a National Title at a SEC school versus an ACC school. And I think the ACC is second to the SEC as far as difficulty goes- Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, and Virginia among others are all very good program that are about on par with any SEC school. Then you have teams like Wake Forest and Duke that are upstarts and can surprise sometimes.

Yep, but the Sec is just better top to bottom. McDonnell has been at Louisville years, right now they are the elite in their conference. they have been consistent where as we haven't. Hopefully we can find a Coach for the long haul.

basedog
03-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Texting kills! He left us in a mess!

Coach34
03-17-2018, 05:36 PM
We did recruit a JUCO catcher- Gilbert.

ok- a juco catcher like Krueger

Bully13
03-17-2018, 05:40 PM
What I don't understand is how all these past few recruiting classes were so "top tenish" and now we don't look good enough to be a top 50 team. maybe worse. maybe someone could explain that.

Todd4State
03-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Yep, but the Sec is just better top to bottom. McDonnell has been at Louisville years, right now they are the elite in their conference. they have been consistent where as we haven't. Hopefully we can find a Coach for the long haul.

I don't know that I agree about that either. The past three seasons we have 2 SR appearances and a SEC Championship while dealing with a mid fall coaching change, a coach removed due to scandal, three pitching coach hires, and three hitting coach changes. Oh, and we've had to be on the road for most of the pre-SEC season because we're building a new stadium on top of that.

And we've done that being fairly unstable- I don't think very many programs would have the success we have had recently with all of that going on, granted we may be paying for all of that this year. Still, I think the recent success we have had shows how solid and strong our program is and really could be with some actual stability going on.

Honestly, you could say that we haven't had any stability since Polk left if we're being honest and we've had plenty of good moments including going the furthest we ever have in Omaha.

And as an aside I think our fans underrate our potential in general. When we were at our "peak" between 1978-1992 we had a lot of stability. Then Polk wanted to leave and we begged him to stay. We declined because he wasn't interested. We returned back some around 1996-2001 because Polk hired McMahon and wanted to go out on top and we made a strong run in the late 90's. Mac kind of kept it going with some transfers like Lotterhos, Ty Martin, Cliff Wren, and Chris Reinieke. But then we brought Polk back and that hurt our program immensely because we tried to do what we did in the 80's which was out of date by that point and everyone caught up and passed us and we finally bottomed out in 2008. We bring in Cohen and half of or more of the fan base didn't support him but he finally got us back to where we were. By the time he finally got us there he got interested in being the AD and we brought in Cann and it looked like we were going to make some major strides until it was revealed that he was too distracted to coach effectively and we're here now.

All of that is in the past or will be in about 10 weeks and at that time we need to make a home run hire which I think we will to finally bring us some stability. Because even as volatile as we have been we've shown glimpses of being an elite program like we were in the 80's and still can be- 1997 and 1998 CWS appearances, 2007 CWS appearance with the wildest SR atmosphere in the country, 2013 National Finals and CWS run, and the SEC Championship. We've also been to four SR's since 2011. In some ways we are a sleeping giant and if we can get the right coach in here we can be right up there with the Florida's and LSU's.

Todd4State
03-17-2018, 06:04 PM
What I don't understand is how all these past few recruiting classes were so "top tenish" and now we don't look good enough to be a top 50 team. maybe worse. maybe someone could explain that.

Our 2016 class was top 10- and I would say it did live up to it's billing for the most part- Lowe and Kruger made impacts and helped us to a SR and a SEC Title, Pilkington is a first round pick, Mangum is an All-SEC player, Stovall is a solid SEC player, LA has been a SEC starter for us. A lot of those pitchers had a lot of potential but many of them were victims of Tommy John. Some of them- Small, Keegan, Breaux, and Trysten Barlow could be very good players for us. Most of the busts are due to Tommy John with an few exceptions like Elih Marrero. The bad thing about this class was Cohen tried to fill in the gaps from the MLB draft like Austin Riley with JUCO guys like Tanner Poole. This shows the importance of having scouting connections.

The 2015 class was awful- we have no one left from that group and it had a lot of JUCO guys that were busts for the most part. John Holland was probably the best player out of it.

2017- Again too JUCO heavy with Vansau, MacNamee, and the third baseman that's at Tampa right now. Good pitching prospects in Self, McQuary, and Ashcraft to go along Skelton who was drafted by the Blue Jays. A good example of poor balance in a class.

2018- Again, another example of poor balance. Most of the JUCO's we recruited would have been impact guys but I think all signed with MLB. Which is another reason to stay away from JUCO's because most of the high impact ones go pro. It's a good position player class but it lacks balance because there is only one high school pitcher in the group.

Really the only top 10 class on campus right now is the 2016 group. Most of our top 10-ish classes are the ones that we have put together going forward. And they do appear to have more balance.

Saltydog
03-17-2018, 08:00 PM
to get this team a winning SEC record. We won't have that again until 2020 at best. We have the worst team we've had since Cohen's 2015 squad. When we finish dead last in the west this year, which we will, this will make 2 of the last 4 years we've finished last. I think some of you guys are expecting WAY more outta this hire than what we'll actually get.

msstate7
03-17-2018, 08:02 PM
to get this team a winning SEC record. We won't have that again until 2020 at best. We have the worst team we've had since Cohen's 2015 squad. When we finish dead last in the west this year, which we will, this will make 2 of the last 4 years we've finished last. I think some of you guys are expecting WAY more outta this hire than what we'll actually get.

2015 was terrible. We won the sec in 2016. Things can change quickly

AusTexDawg
03-27-2018, 09:51 AM
A couple questions about the coaching search came up in the D1BB chat yesterday. Seems like Kendall and Fitt are retreating a little from Kendall's initial enthusiasm about State definitely getting a top 5 candidate:

Comment From Doug: Why is Miss. State set to hire a top 5-10 coach but South Carolina and Texas had to settle for mid-major guys?
Kendall Rogers: Doug, Timing is everything. South Carolina piqued the interest of several premier coaches, but many of the ones I spoke with said the timing wasn't right. Texas brought John Savage to Austin, interviewed with Paul Mainieri in Baton Rouge, and also had strong interest with Kevin O'Sullivan. But Mainieri got a raise, Savage ended up staying at UCLA, and O'Sullivan pulled out of the running.

It's really tough to get a premier coach to leave these days. However, MSU is a traditional power and is building the best facility in college baseball history. That is an eye-opener for everyone.

Aaron Fitt: Kendall is the coaching carousel guru, but let me just go on record saying ultimately I don't think the guy KR has in mind is going to leave his current situation. It's one thing to entertain a notion way in advance and let yourself be courted; it's another thing to pick up and move your family and leave a great spot when it's time to make a decision. Wouldn't surprise me, frankly, if the MSU search winds up playing out similarly to the Texas and South Carolina searches. Like Kendall said, it's really hard to pry an established, top-five-caliber coach away from a great situation.

MarketingBully
03-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Kendall didn’t retreat from what he said and Aaron Fitt is doing more speculation then anything else. Whether you guys believe it or not, the interest is there. Hell, even 247 and Robbie Faulk are hearing Schlossnagle and McDonnell’s interest and viewing them as legitimate candidates. That was also a wah wah type of question probably from a Texas or South Carolina fan.

shannondawg
03-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Thanks to ole missy hiring Kermit jr, he can expect a raise, bet money on it.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Aaron Fitt is C34.*

AusTexDawg
03-27-2018, 12:23 PM
Kendall didn?t retreat from what he said and Aaron Fitt is doing more speculation then anything else. Whether you guys believe it or not, the interest is there. Hell, even 247 and Robbie Faulk are hearing Schlossnagle and McDonnell?s interest and viewing them as legitimate candidates. That was also a wah wah type of question probably from a Texas or South Carolina fan.

I don't doubt the media folks are hearing about guys being interested, but I wonder how much of the buzz is coming from the agents who are trying to build leverage for raises vs. from coaches who'd actually jump at the opportunity (and I hope it's the latter). I don't think Mainieri was ever really leaving LSU - he just wanted to feel some love from F King, Alleva and their spoiled fan base. With his Carolina connections, I can see why O'Sullivan was in the mix, but I wonder if he was putting his name out there in public to make Stricklin realize he was serious about wanting the massive facilities upgrade.

That said Kendall is correct about timing being an issue, and at present it seems like that is a positive for MSU. Texas didn't have a permanent AD until last fall - if they had hired their new AD before the baseball hire, there's a good chance that Schlossnagle would be in Austin now. With a former coach as AD and our demonstrated commitment to baseball, I think MSU definitely offers a more stable base from which to build than any school that might be expected to make a change this year.

ETA - Schlossnagle had a Big XII non-compete clause, so he wouldn't have been able to go to Texas. (I think Tim Tadlock had a Texas-specific non-complete clause, too).

Coach34
03-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Kendall didn?t retreat from what he said and Aaron Fitt is doing more speculation then anything else. Whether you guys believe it or not, the interest is there. Hell, even 247 and Robbie Faulk are hearing Schlossnagle and McDonnell?s interest and viewing them as legitimate candidates. That was also a wah wah type of question probably from a Texas or South Carolina fan.

BS- they just said what I said. There will be interest- but guys rarely leave a top program to go somewhere else. And for us- it?s highly unlikely it happens yet again. We are going to get some younger HC from a smaller school

and McDonnell and Scholss get raises at their schools

msstate7
03-27-2018, 12:41 PM
BS- they just said what I said. There will be interest- but guys rarely leave a top program to go somewhere else. And for us- it?s highly unlikely it happens yet again. We are going to get some younger HC from a smaller school

I agree with you. Barring we go aTm jimbo fisher type of all in, we will not get those guys

Bulldog1
03-27-2018, 12:47 PM

and McDonnell and Scholss get raises at their schools
Do you have a list? Not including these guys.

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 01:09 PM
I don't doubt the media folks are hearing about guys being interested, but I wonder how much of the buzz is coming from the agents who are trying to build leverage for raises vs. from coaches who'd actually jump at the opportunity (and I hope it's the latter). I don't think Mainieri was ever really leaving LSU - he just wanted to feel some love from F King, Alleva and their spoiled fan base. With his Carolina connections, I can see why O'Sullivan was in the mix, but I wonder if he was putting his name out there in public to make Stricklin realize he was serious about wanting the massive facilities upgrade.

That said Kendall is correct about timing being an issue, and at present it seems like that is a positive for MSU. Texas didn't have a permanent AD until last fall - if they had hired their new AD before the baseball hire, there's a good chance that Schlossnagle would be in Austin now. With a former coach as AD and our demonstrated commitment to baseball, I think MSU definitely offers a more stable base from which to build than any school that might be expected to make a change this year.

Schlosnagle has a Big 12 non-compete

Coach34
03-27-2018, 01:10 PM
I do not. I have yet to talk to anybody plugged in yet about it. We obviously will shoot for a big name- and may get lucky but it’s highly unlikely. We offered Corbin before Cann and he said no. Hard to drag an established coach away from a top program. And don’t give me the timing crap thing about Corbin- he knew we were going to build a new stadium and that the State job likely wouldn’t be open again for 10 years if he didn’t take it.

I like the dude at Arizona and wonder if we could attract him to StarkVegas. Cohen recommended him to Byrne a few years ago.

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Do you have a list? Not including these guys.

I've asked these guys who say we won't get a big fish to give a list multiple times.. they won't give one. If we don't get a big fish then it will be mingione or butch and that's awesome. To have those 2 guys as plan b's is outstanding

Political Hack
03-27-2018, 01:12 PM

He was almost the guy before Cann. Would make sense.

Tbonewannabe
03-27-2018, 01:15 PM
How about O'Connor at Virginia? He has a pretty good track record and is still under 50. Virginia also doesn't support their team like a SEC team and I am not sure of how much he gets paid.

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 01:15 PM
I do not. I have yet to talk to anybody plugged in yet about it. We obviously will shoot for a big name- and may get lucky but it?s highly unlikely. We offered Corbin before Cann and he said no. Hard to drag an established coach away from a top program. And don?t give me the timing crap thing about Corbin- he knew we were going to build a new stadium and that the State job likely wouldn?t be open again for 10 years if he didn?t take it.

I like the dude at Arizona and wonder if we could attract him to StarkVegas. Cohen recommended him to Byrne a few years ago.

And johnson makes peanuts at Arizona. But, he's having a rough year this year so we have likely cooled on him some. I put him in the same category as butch and Ming. Plan B's.

U have...

Plan A's...
McDonnell
Schlosnagle
Sully
Corbin
Tadlock
O'Conner
Casey
Fox

Plan b's
Ming
Butch
Johnson

And we will never get passed there. It's either a big fish(plan a) or anybody on the b list would crawl to Starkville. So, the verdict.... there is not a name on either list a or b that would not be a great hire. Bright days ahead for bulldog baseball.

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 01:17 PM
And johnson makes peanuts at Arizona. But, he's having a rough year this year so we have likely cooled on him some. I put him in the same category as butch and Ming. Plan B's.

U have...

Plan A's...
McDonnell
Schlosnagle
Sully
Corbin
Tadlock
O'Conner
Casey
Fox

Plan b's
Ming
Butch
Johnson

And we will never get passed there. It's either a big fish(plan a) or anybody on the b list would crawl to Starkville. So, the verdict.... there is not a name on either list a or b that would not be a great hire. Bright days ahead for bulldog baseball.

Oh, and we will pay anyone on list A whatever it takes.

Bulldog1
03-27-2018, 01:20 PM
I've asked these guys who say we won't get a big fish to give a list multiple times.. they won't give one. If we don't get a big fish then it will be mingione or butch and that's awesome. To have those 2 guys as plan b's is outstanding

That’s my thinking as well. Worst case, Cohen pulls either of these. If we get Mingione, I want Kentucky’s hitting coach also.

Bulldog1
03-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Nm

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 01:31 PM
That’s my thinking as well. Worst case, Cohen pulls either of these. If we get Mingione, I want Kentucky’s hitting coach also.

Absolutely agree. 100 percent on both accounts. If butch or Ming is worst case scenario then we are in good shape.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2018, 01:47 PM
1. Bohanon
2. Deggs
3. Minge
4. Johnson

I'm betting it's one of those guys once it's done.

dawgs
03-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Only MSU fans would balk at paying for proven winners after investing so much into building the new dude. We are long overdue to win a natty in baseball, literally no other program can offer the combo of financial support, fan support, and facilities that we can offer. We have a long history of being on the cusp, so if it cost us $5M a year to find the coach to get us there, so be it, I’m sick and tired of watching coastal Carolina and Fresno st win titles. Never mind how sick I am of programs who didn’t pay attention to college baseball until the last 15 years winning titles (Oregon st, vandy, usce). After the Cann debacle, I don’t want to gamble on an up and comer, I want a HC who has been to the CWS and built a consistent winner. If we aren’t committed to getting a guy like that then we wasted a lot of ****ing money on the new dude.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2018, 01:50 PM
We aren't going to pay $2M a year. I seriously doubt we'd consider more than $1.2M or $1.3M. That said, if McDonnell told us $1.5M, it'd sign him up.

dawgs
03-27-2018, 01:54 PM
And ole miss is a legitimate threat to win a natty this year, and y’all wanna pinch ****ing pennies.

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 02:26 PM
And ole miss is a legitimate threat to win a natty this year, and y’all wanna pinch ****ing pennies.

They certainly are

Coach34
03-27-2018, 02:36 PM
1. Bohanon
2. Deggs
3. Minge
4. Johnson

I'm betting it's one of those guys once it's done.

I will be surprised if its Minge- again we get back to if he was the guy- he would have already been here instead of Cann. Kentucky is building him a new stadium also.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm leaning Bohanon or Deggs. AL just polished that turd of a stadium but it's still AL and they don't care about baseball. Deggs would be all over it and he was on the list the last time. Johnson would be the wildcard. The trump card is McDonnell though. Nobody knows how the issues at UL affect him. I still think it's a major long shot though.

ShotgunDawg
03-27-2018, 02:58 PM
I think many of you are too volatile with your feelings about certain coaches depending on recent seasons. Particularly those that haven’t been at their school for 5-7+ years.

With college baseball recruiting getting earlier and earlier with kids committing in the 8th-9th grade, it’s almost impossible to truly get a great feel for a coaches ability to evaluate and recruit, until 5-7 years after he’s hired and actually has a roster full of his own recruits.

Because of the early recruiting, it takes time for a baseball coach to turn around a program.

It’s isnt like football or basketball where you can have a roster full of your own guy by year 2 or 3.

Coach34
03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
I'm leaning Bohanon or Deggs. AL just polished that turd of a stadium but it's still AL and they don't care about baseball. Deggs would be all over it and he was on the list the last time. Johnson would be the wildcard. The trump card is McDonnell though. Nobody knows how the issues at UL affect him. I still think it's a major long shot though.

I'd hate to be a new AD- he was named this week as the permanent AD- and 2 months on the job the most successful coach on the staff leaves. You can bet he will do whatever to keep McDonnell

Jack Lambert
03-27-2018, 03:25 PM
I'd hate to be a new AD- he was named this week as the permanent AD- and 2 months on the job the most successful coach on the staff leaves. You can bet he will do whatever to keep McDonnell

Does UL give full scholarships or partial like Miss schools?

The Federalist Engineer
03-27-2018, 04:34 PM
All this McD and Schossnagle talk has the feel of a mind-game against us MSU fans to really whack us hard with the announcement of Lane Boroughs

I think Kendall Rodgers has heard we will be offering major dollars but that’s doesn’t mean the coaches will take the deal. Or their present employers won’t match.

Four months away from the end of a nightmare season, we sound like Tennessee fans claiming Jon Gruden interest

Bulldog1
03-27-2018, 04:40 PM
All this McD and Schossnagle talk has the feel of a mind-game against us MSU fans to really whack us hard with the announcement of Lane Boroughs

I think Kendall Rodgers has heard we will be offering major dollars but that’s doesn’t mean the coaches will take the deal. Or their present employers won’t match.

Four months away from the end of a nightmare season, we sound like Tennessee fans claiming Jon Gruden interest

If we hire Lane Burroughs, I might go jump off the Grand Canyon. We can do a lot better imo (i.e. Ming, Butch, etc.)

preachermatt83
03-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Anybody who thinks lane would get the job ahead of Butch or mingione just simply doesn't have a clue.

dawgs
I think many of you are too volatile with your feelings about certain coaches depending on recent seasons. Particularly those that haven’t been at their school for 5-7+ years.

With college baseball recruiting getting earlier and earlier with kids committing in the 8th-9th grade, it’s almost impossible to truly get a great feel for a coaches ability to evaluate and recruit, until 5-7 years after he’s hired and actually has a roster full of his own recruits.

Because of the early recruiting, it takes time for a baseball coach to turn around a program.

It’s isnt like football or basketball where you can have a roster full of your own guy by year 2 or 3.

Sounds to me like you are making the case for paying above market value for a proven winner like McDonnell or Schlossnagle. We went for the up-and-comer with Cann, and while on the field he appeared to have the goods, he couldn’t keep his dick in his pants. We are at a point now where can’t gamble on the future of the program, or else we throw away whatever is left of the momentum from the new dude in the wake of the cann aftermath and a lost season. We need someone who is as close to a sure thing as possible. It’s gonna be embarrassing if we spend the $$ to build the best facilities in the country and can’t even make a regional for 3 or 4 years.

preachermatt83
If we hire Lane Burroughs, I might go jump off the Grand Canyon. We can do a lot better imo (i.e. Ming, Butch, etc.)

Lane won't even get a sniff of this job.

Bulldog1
03-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Anybody who thinks lane would get the job ahead of Butch or mingione just simply doesn't have a clue.
Yea, I don’t think he has a shot.

BuckyIsAB****
03-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Oh, and we will pay anyone on list A whatever it takes.

I've heard the guy at UNC was a serious candidate. And the guy at Oklahoma St

MarketingBully
03-27-2018, 05:22 PM

Louisville was dumb to hire that guy as the permanent AD. McDonnell doesn’t like him but he did just hire Chris Mack in the sport they really only care about so if they sacrificed McDonnell to get Chris Mack most to all Louisville fans will see that as a win. He’s not a good AD and has never had any experience at any level of being in sports administration. You or I could have hired Chris Mack away from Xavier to Louisville. I still think the timing is right for us to grab McDonnell.

MarketingBully
03-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Lane won't even get a sniff of this job.

Lane isn’t being mentioned by anyone on the inside for this job.

Coach34
03-27-2018, 05:58 PM

haha- Nailed it. This is exactly how are baseball fans are right now

dawgs
03-28-2018, 09:24 AM

Jon Gruden was making millions working Monday night football, we are tossing around names that actually are coaching baseball. Coaching college baseball at that. Far from Tennessee fans delusion for like the 4th time in the last decade over Gruden.

msstate7
03-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Remember when South Carolina thought they were getting Kevin O?Sullivan from Florida? We have matched their delusion, and we cannot match their baseball history.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Jon Gruden was making millions working Monday night football, we are tossing around names that actually are coaching baseball. Coaching college baseball at that. Far from Tennessee fans delusion for like the 4th time in the last decade over Gruden.

Gruden would have to have taken a pay cut to work twice as much if he took the UT job. That is a little more delusional than MSU fans thinking we might pay someone 10-15% more for the same work load. I doubt we throw enough money at someone like McDonnell that Louisville just doesn't come close to matching it. We might can for someone like O'Connor though because UVA has like 500 fans. UVA's attendance record is a little over 4k so not sure if they would be willing to match $$$ if we wanted him or maybe they do, who knows.

tcdog70
03-28-2018, 10:55 AM
It doesn?t matter if McDonnell started Louisville?s success- all recruits know now is that Louisville wins and they have nice facilities.

LSU wasn?t LSU before Bertman
State wasn?t State before Gregory
OM wasn?t OM before Bianco
SC wasn?t a power before Tanner
Corbin built Vandy
Frasier built Miami
O?Conner has built Virginia

good point--Gregory had Tom D'armi as his right hand Man--he was huge for Paul Gregory.

Homedawg
03-28-2018, 10:58 AM
I've heard the guy at UNC was a serious candidate. And the guy at Oklahoma St

Fox is like 60 years old. He won't be our coach. Will NOT

AusTexDawg
04-02-2018, 01:52 PM

I hard heard that McDonnell was close to the ousted AD Tom Jurich (http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21710106/louisville-athletic-director-tom-jurich-leveraged-big-deals-build-university-sports-powerhouse-only-watch-burn-amid-charges-excess), but I had been curious about the extent of their athletic department's "issues" (beyond just the FBI investigation). After slumming on the UL Boards before and after the Final Four game, I came across this post (https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Board/103990/Contents/UofL-shifts-approval-of-coaches-from-ULAA-to-BOT-116837667) and article (https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/03/27/louisville-basketball-board-trustees-athletic-association-chris-mack/464778002/)which shed some more light on the situation. The TL;DR version is that the UofL Board of Trustees has taken final approval of hiring coaches away from their to-be-discontinued Athletics Association board, and the chairman of said BoT has said that athletics takes too much focus from academics.

While that sentiment about academics being the priority is not necessarily inappropriate for someone in his position, it could make it more difficult for the AD to significantly increase the salary of a highly paid coach in a non-revenue sport. Louisville under Jurich and the previous UofL president were going all-in on athletics, and it seems like that may no longer be the case, which could work in our favor if Cohen approaches McDonnell. Maybe not enough to move the needle, but it can't hurt

AusTexDawg
04-09-2018, 04:49 PM
From the D1 Baseball chat this afternoon (https://d1baseball.com/chats/top-25-chat-april-9/), Kendall dropped Cliff Godwin's name into the candidate pool:

Comment From Andy from NOLA: Kendall, you’ve been somewhat cryptic the last 2 chats on the Miss St job. You sound like you’re in the know as to the leading candidate(s). Then, last week when talking about the Rice job, you said Saarloos would be a good candidate, “if he’s not already the head coach there.” Are you hearing/implying that Schloss is the leading candidate at MSU? Would he go if offered? Is he losing traction with the way TCU’s season is going?

Kendall Rogers: NOLA — You are a smart guy. I think MSU would be foolish not to reach out to guys like Schlossnagle and McDonnell at this point. I think money would be a concern, but I think both would at least listen to MSU. One guy who is quickly rising up my board for the Miss State job is Cliff Godwin. He has ties to a lot of SEC coaches and would be an outstanding hire for State. But obviously, if you could get Schloss/McDonnell, you’d have to make that hire. I think both with will get calls in June.

Comment From Glen: Kendall you say there’s a lot of interest in the Mississippi State job now, but where was the interest 15 months ago when Cohen stepped down. Why did Cohen not go after a experienced coach then. Timing wasn’t great but it was still the off season.

Kendall Rogers: Glen — No coach is going to leave in November when he’s at a premier program, and State was still in the limbo with the new ballpark at that point. The ballpark was a huge huge selling point. With that said, I’ll say this on the elite targets — I wouldn’t get my hopes up until a deal is completely done. Remember, Texas had Pat Casey and Paul Mainieri in its cross-hairs, and then nothing. Kevin O’Sullivan was a candidate — then nothing. You get the drill ….

Comment From Scott: Do you think Cohen/MSU will offer $2M a year for a blockbuster name? Also, do you see the four-year contract rule hindering the search (No public employee in Mississippi can have a contract exceeding four years in length)?

Kendall Rogers: Scott — No on the latter, and there’s zero chance Cohen is paying a baseball coach $2 million a year. MSU doesn’t have that kind of money to throw around and the football coach is making 2.7 million. I do think John could go north of a million, though.

preachermatt83
04-09-2018, 05:06 PM
From the D1 Baseball chat this afternoon (https://d1baseball.com/chats/top-25-chat-april-9/), Kendall dropped Cliff Godwin's name into the candidate pool:

Cliff Godwin is going to make someone a heck of a baseball coach sooner rather than later. It's odd how Kendall has backed off his bold talk from a few weeks ago. I'm sticking with Tadlock until something changes. As of right now scouts he's close to think tadlocks the guy.

Bully13
04-09-2018, 05:48 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Godwin

I like Godwin's resume. what I find kinda funny though is his mug shot. looks like the guy could be a mafia hit man thug type. yet check this out:

In addition to his playing career at East Carolina, Godwin also graduated magna cum laude in 2000 with a Bachelor of Science in management information systems, and went on to earn his MBA from ECU in 2002. He was a two-time Academic All-American selection during his time as a player.[1]

this guy has proven that he is an elite recruiter and a damned good coach.

Bully13
04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
oh, and Godwin's making $270K. double that and we get him one would think.

http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2016/07/29/Godwin-gets-contract-extension.html

Bully13
04-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Cliff Godwin is going to make someone a heck of a baseball coach sooner rather than later. It's odd how Kendall has backed off his bold talk from a few weeks ago. I'm sticking with Tadlock until something changes. As of right now scouts he's close to think tadlocks the guy.

I just wished I knew how these Kendall Rogers types get their info and how reliable it is.

Bulldog1
04-09-2018, 05:55 PM
oh, and Godwin's making $270K. double that and we get him one would think.

http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2016/07/29/Godwin-gets-contract-extension.html

If we want this guy, he’ll come I believe. I’m trusting Cohen in this hire.

bostondawg
04-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Why did Cliff Godwin leave LSU for UCF?

Todd4State
04-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Thoughts:

Andy from NOLA- Irony at it's finest.

As far as Godwin notice he says "Cliff Godwin is rising up MY board." Godwin isn't a candidate at this point.

Agree about not getting hopes up until a deal is done but Cohen wouldn't be talking like he is if he didn't have a good candidate in place.

Actually, I think we would pay 2 million for the right coach. That's probably about as high as we'll go though.

MarketingBully
04-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Thoughts:

Andy from NOLA- Irony at it's finest.

As far as Godwin notice he says "Cliff Godwin is rising up MY board." Godwin isn't a candidate at this point.

Agree about not getting hopes up until a deal is done but Cohen wouldn't be talking like he is if he didn't have a good candidate in place.

Actually, I think we would pay 2 million for the right coach. That's probably about as high as we'll go though.

I think $1.8-2 million would get McDonnell. But I don’t think Kendall Rogers knows shit about what we are willing to pay anyone. We would have paid JoMo more but he wanted to take a cut to pay his assistants more. Hell, we paid Mullen $4.75 million and were willing to go up to $6 million to keep him.

maroonmania
04-09-2018, 09:16 PM
I think $1.8-2 million would get McDonnell. But I don?t think Kendall Rogers knows shit about what we are willing to pay anyone. We would have paid JoMo more but he wanted to take a cut to pay his assistants more. Hell, we paid Mullen $4.75 million and were willing to go up to $6 million to keep him.

On top of that, as much as we are optimistic about what Moorhead will do for our football program, he is not a proven D1 head coach, McDonnell however is. In relative terms to other baseball coaches, McDonnell should warrant a significantly higher salary than what we paid Moorhead relative to other football coaches.

Homedawg
04-09-2018, 09:36 PM
I think $1.8-2 million would get McDonnell. But I don’t think Kendall Rogers knows shit about what we are willing to pay anyone. We would have paid JoMo more but he wanted to take a cut to pay his assistants more. Hell, we paid Mullen $4.75 million and were willing to go up to $6 million to keep him.

This isn't about money. And who we hire won't be. We will pay whatever we need to get whoever we get. But they aren't turning us down bc of amount we offer.

Cooterpoot
04-09-2018, 09:42 PM
We aren’t hiring Godwin.

Todd4State
04-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Exactly. I don't think we would throw 2 million right there out on the table to start with. I could see us going 1.4 or whatever depending on the salary and if Louisville or whoever matches then we go up from there.

confucius say
04-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Yea I do not get the correlation by Moorhead making 2.75 million and not being able to pay top dollar for a baseball coach. We were paying Mullen 5 million. If anything, we can spend more on a baseball coach now since we are getting Moorhead at a discount.

MarketingBully
04-09-2018, 10:09 PM
We spent what $50 million on a new baseball stadium but we can’t afford to pay a baseball coach $2 million? What a joke of a comment that was. It’s almost like he forgot we were in the SEC and we don’t have SEC Network money and we are still just poor ol Mississippi State...

deadheaddawg
04-09-2018, 10:47 PM
The thing about the $50 million stadium is it is not really any more that our competition are spending. We spent enough to keep pace (but built a much better stadium in the process)

Kentucky spent $49 million
Florida is spending $45.8
Bama spent $42

So just saying we spent $50 million on a stadium doesn't translate to us being more willing to outspend everyone else.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2018, 11:11 PM
The thing about the $50 million stadium is it is not really any more that our competition are spending. We spent enough to keep pace (but built a much better stadium in the process)

Bama spent $42

So just saying we spent $50 million on a stadium doesn't translate to us being more willing to outspend everyone else.

No, but it does mean we can afford $2M for a coach, which is what Kendall Rogers was saying we couldn't. Posters here aren't saying "We can do 2M and nobody else can!", they're saying "We can do 2M"

Todd4State
04-09-2018, 11:35 PM
I'll be honest- if ANYONE is going to pay a baseball coach 2 million it's going to be MSU.

Everyone associated with MSU wants a NC in baseball and I think we're going to try to do everything we can to get one. Even if that means overpaying for a quality coach.

dawgs
04-10-2018, 12:01 AM
I'll be honest- if ANYONE is going to pay a baseball coach 2 million it's going to be MSU.

Everyone associated with MSU wants a NC in baseball and I think we're going to try to do everything we can to get one. Even if that means overpaying for a quality coach.

And that $2M would be a bargain if we get a coach that starts winning CWS titles. He’d pay for himself and then some in tickets, concessions, and donations.

MarketingBully
04-10-2018, 12:26 AM

Bama spent $42

Yep and we will be the only school that will fill their stadium as well. Alabama? 8500 seats and probably if they are lucky 6000 gumps will show up. Kentucky? Going from 3k to 6k seats that I doubt even then will fill up. Florida? They won a national championship and I think even then they are only going up to 6k. Our stadium? It will seat 13k by next year and if we hire McDonnell at $2 million a year we will fill that sucker up and McDonnell will pay for himself like Saban has at Bama. If McDonnell wants to win a CWS instead of just getting there, he can come to MSU and will have the tools he needs to take us over the top.

Cooterpoot
04-10-2018, 03:54 AM
We aren?t going to pay $2M. We won?t need to.

AusTexDawg
04-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Yea I do not get the correlation by Moorhead making 2.75 million and not being able to pay top dollar for a baseball coach. We were paying Mullen 5 million. If anything, we can spend more on a baseball coach now since we are getting Moorhead at a discount.

This seemed like a weird correlation to make to me, too. It totally ignored that Mullen was one of the top 15 best paid college football coaches in recent years.