PDA

View Full Version : One thing I loved about Grantham's D...

HoopsDawg
03-14-2018, 08:52 PM
our corners played tight coverage. Yeah, we got beat deep every now and then, but I can live with that. It just drives me crazy to see corners sitting back in zone, 8 yards off the ball and giving up easy completions. I really hope that's not Shoop's M.O. There's a post on another board where a guy said our corners are going to play off a little more this year. That scares the crap out of me.

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Remember when we had Slay and Banks at the corners and still played off about 10 yards? Who was our brave, genius DC that year?

Commercecomet24
03-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Yeah I would rather see guys get burned every now and then than watch easy completion after easy completion. I like aggressive schemes for our dbs with a lot of bump and run.

HoopsDawg
03-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Remember when we had Slay and Banks at the corners and still played off about 10 yards? Who was our brave, genius DC that year?

That was so brutal. It was Chris Wilson. Slay was behind Broomfield most of his junior year.

BuckyIsAB****
03-14-2018, 09:04 PM
our corners played tight coverage. Yeah, we got beat deep every now and then, but I can live with that. It just drives me crazy to see corners sitting back in zone, 8 yards off the ball and giving up easy completions. I really hope that's not Shoop's M.O. There's a post on another board where a guy said our corners are going to play off a little more this year. That scares the crap out of me.

We will play tighter coverage under shoop. That is one thing I can say I feel good about with him. Watching some I didnt see many 3rd downs where they played 7-8 yds cushion

HoopsDawg
Yeah I would rather see guys get burned every now and then than watch easy completion after easy completion. I like aggressive schemes for our dbs with a lot of bump and run.

We very rarely got nickel and dimed last year. Please don't screw up this talent Shoop. No excuse not to have a Top 10 defense this year.

BuckyIsAB****
That was so brutal. It was Chris Wilson. Slay was behind Broomfield most of his junior year.

It was also Mullen and not Wilson that demanded that

HoopsDawg
03-14-2018, 09:07 PM
We will play tighter coverage under shoop. That is one thing I can say I feel good about with him. Watching some I didnt see many 3rd downs where they played 7-8 yds cushion

man, i hope so. Guy on the other board is great friends with one of our corners. said we will play more zone and playing off the ball. More zone is fine, but playing off the ball, just no. Please no.

BuckyIsAB****
03-14-2018, 09:55 PM
man, i hope so. Guy on the other board is great friends with one of our corners. said we will play more zone and playing off the ball. More zone is fine, but playing off the ball, just no. Please no.

Agreed. Its rage inducing

Bothrops
03-14-2018, 10:10 PM
There's a post on another board where a guy said our corners are going to play off a little more this year. That scares the crap out of me.

If this is the case we won't have the defense we hoped for.

Gutter Cobreh
03-14-2018, 11:16 PM
our corners played tight coverage. Yeah, we got beat deep every time the opposing team threw it further than 20 yds., but I can live with that. It just drives me crazy to see corners sitting back in zone, 8 yards off the ball and giving up easy completions. I really hope that's not Shoop's M.O. There's a post on another board where a guy said our corners are going to play off a little more this year. That scares the crap out of me.

FIFY

Ifyouonlyknew
03-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Knowing the kid I'm pretty sure he just assumes more zone equals playing off coverage.

Todd4State
03-15-2018, 12:10 AM
If this is the case we won't have the defense we hoped for.

I mean, it's not like there isn't video of his defense out there at several schools- Tennessee, Penn State, and Vanderbilt.

Looking up highlight videos from when Shoop was at those schools should give us a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's not like this is his first year as a DC at a major school.

bulldawg28
03-15-2018, 05:10 AM

Playing off the ball doesn't necessarily mean soft coverage. That depends on the corners mentality. If they're playing off and in bail technique which we ran alot that's terrible.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-15-2018, 06:01 AM
AJ and DK sure did beat everyone on our defense..

msbulldog
03-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Hunter blows things out of proportion at times, but he does have friends on the FB team.

BulldogDX55
03-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Hunter blows things out of proportion at times, but he does have friends on the FB team.

Yeah, that is one of the few things I listen to him on. His bestie is a RSFR CB on the FB team.

Bully13
03-15-2018, 08:39 AM
What even pisses me off more is when the CB plays off the ball, then sees the ball headed towards the guy he's covering , zeros in on the receiver to make the tackle but allows the WR to spin away for more yards. That should be an easy tackle.

Jarius
03-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Surely you've been on that board long enough to realize that Hunter doesn't have the slightest clue to what he's talking about?