PDA

View Full Version : Here's a sobering stat I missed

Todd4State
03-14-2018, 05:38 PM
In the past 15 years we have had one winning season in SEC play in football. That's half on Croom. But I think it shows how much Dan's record was inflated beating Louisiana Tech 3-4 times every year.

msstate7
03-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Actually 1 in last 18, which includes 4 years of Sherrill.

03-14-2018, 05:52 PM
If you go back to the beginning of the modern era, which is universally considered to be sometime in the 90s, we only add about 3 more (1994, 1998, 1999 maybe?)

Seems to me Jackie is still the KANG

Kang also played 11 game schedules with no FCS opponent, often with another Power 5 team

Yep, still the man

msstate7
03-14-2018, 05:54 PM
If you go back to the beginning of the modern era, which is universally considered to be sometime in the 90s, we only add about 3 more (1994, 1998, 1999 maybe?)

Seems to me Jackie is still the KANG

Kang also played 11 game schedules with no FCS opponent, often with another Power 5 team

Yep, still the man

1991 also. 1999 is the last year before saban came into the sec coincidentally

Bully13
03-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Would like to see similar stats on the other SEC West teams outside of bamer.

Todd4State
03-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Above .500 seasons in SEC football play Starting in 1992 when the SEC expanded:

MSU- 4
Ole Miss- 5
Alabama- 18
Auburn- 16
LSU- 19
Arkansas- 8
Texas A&M- 1 (Came into league in 2012 I believe)

SEC East for reference if anyone is curious:

Tennessee- 16
Vanderbilt- 1
Florida- 20
Georgia- 18
Kentucky- 0
South Carolina- 8
Missouri- 2

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Jackie is still the Kang in many ways: A. SEC West title - only SEC Title game I've attended B. More total wins C. Probably more quality wins (Usually more cupcakes scheduled in the 12 game seasons in recent years) C. Taught us we could win ( I know the last years were bad - thanks UNM & NCAA clouds over program) D. All Dawg - True Maroon. I would still make a donation for statue of him outside the stadium. JMO. I do think Jo will do a great job in all these areas. Hail State!

BuckyIsAB****
03-14-2018, 07:49 PM
We must have went 4-4 3-5 a LOT

msbulldog
03-14-2018, 07:50 PM
In the past 15 years we have had one winning season in SEC play in football. That's half on Croom. But I think it shows how much Dan's record was inflated beating Louisiana Tech 3-4 times every year.

Just read Rosebowl's inteview, me too.

RocketDawg
03-14-2018, 07:51 PM

Geez ....

3rdGen
03-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Geez ....

Man speaks the truth and he gets criticism.
Just stating man. Just stating. I know we will come out of this. Just a matter of time and timing.

Todd4State
03-14-2018, 08:33 PM

4-4 happened 8 times since 1992- Four times under Dan, three under Jackie, and once under Croom.

3-5 happened four times since 1992- Three times under Dan and once under Jackie. Jackie did have a 2-5-1 season in 1993 though just in the sake of curiosity.

So, seven of Dan's nine seasons we were 3-5 or 4-4 in the SEC. So, you're right. The other two seasons we went 6-2 in 2014 and then 2-6 in 2011.

RocketDawg
03-14-2018, 08:42 PM
4-4 happened 8 times since 1992- Four times under Dan, three under Jackie, and once under Croom.

3-5 happened four times since 1992- Three times under Dan and once under Jackie. Jackie did have a 2-5-1 season in 1993 though just in the sake of curiosity.

So, seven of Dan's nine seasons we were 3-5 or 4-4 in the SEC. So, you're right. The other two seasons we went 6-2 in 2014 and then 2-6 in 2011.

So Dan averaged a little under 50% in the SEC. That doesn't seem all that great since we play Vanderbilt and Kentucky every year.

Todd4State
03-14-2018, 08:45 PM
Just read Rosebowl's inteview, me too.

I love the fact that Joe's slogan this year is to "Go from good to great". I remember some notorious MSU fans on Twitter calling me out because I wanted MSU to do just that last year telling me that if I couldn't enjoy our 8 wins seasons I would never be satisfied. It feels good to have a coach that at least has some high expectations and wants to at least try to better the program and take it up a notch.

Here's how I see MSU coaches in my fan lifetime:

Felker- GOB. Thanks for Tennessee 1986 and the 1987 Egg Bowl and beating Favre twice.

Jackie- Took us to the next level. Showed us that we could compete and beat anyone in the SEC. Unfortunately, he was madly inconsistent and those wins are almost offset with embarrassing losses to people like Troy and Northeast Louisiana.

Croom- Nice footnote in SEC history that MSU will reap the rewards from for years to come even though he was a bad coach.

Dan- I can't say he took us to the next level beyond where Jackie took us, but he did provide something very important for us which was stability and got us consistently in bowl games. Jackie got us in bowl games but the consistency wasn't always there. I can stomach a loss to South Alabama once every ten years even though it is embarrassing and unacceptable.

I hope Joe is a combination of Jackie's big game capability and Dan's consistency.

Todd4State
03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
So Dan averaged a little under 50% in the SEC. That doesn't seem all that great since we play Vanderbilt and Kentucky every year.

We rarely play Vanderbilt. Actually, we play them fewer than most of the teams in the league. As well as Georgia. I may be mistaken but I believe Dan only coached against Vandy twice and one of those was in 2009 which was one of his worst years. We totally avoided the James Franklin era.

msbulldog
Rocket, we don't play Vandy every year TSUN does Kentucky is our only permanent east opponent.

maroonmania
Mullen raised our floor and that's about it. 2014 was really the only exception.

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 08:49 PM

If you had a halfway decent team, not hard to win 8 in Dan's years: A. Beat 4 OOC cupcakes B. Beat KY and another SEC East team most years C. Win two against AU, LSU, Arky, UNM, aTm D. Never beat bama Looking back our overpaying Dan made it hard for anyone else to want him most years.

RocketDawg
03-14-2018, 08:50 PM
I love the fact that Joe's slogan this year is to "Go from good to great". I remember some notorious MSU fans on Twitter calling me out because I wanted MSU to do just that last year telling me that if I couldn't enjoy our 8 wins seasons I would never be satisfied. It feels good to have a coach that at least has some high expectations and wants to at least try to better the program and take it up a notch.

Felker- GOB. Thanks for Tennessee 1986 and the 1987 Egg Bowl and beating Favre twice.

Jackie- Took us to the next level. Showed us that we could compete and beat anyone in the SEC. Unfortunately, he was madly inconsistent and those wins are almost offset with embarrassing losses to people like Troy and Northeast Louisiana.

Croom- Nice footnote in SEC history that MSU will reap the rewards from for years to come even though he was a bad coach.

Dan- I can't say he took us to the next level beyond where Jackie took us, but he did provide something very important for us which was stability and got us consistently in bowl games. Jackie got us in bowl games but the consistency wasn't always there. I can stomach a loss to South Alabama once every ten years even though it is embarrassing and unacceptable.

I hope Joe is a combination of Jackie's big game capability and Dan's consistency.

He did really ... didn't average attendance increase almost 50% under Dan? Might not've been that much but close.

msbulldog
03-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Dan had the advantage of many more bowls than Jackie had! You get 6 wins you get a bowl now.

RocketDawg
03-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Rocket, we don't play Vandy every year TSUN does Kentucky is our only permanent east opponent.

Yeah you're right but it seems like we do. Us and Ole Miss have the easiest East permanents.

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Mullen raised our floor and that's about it. 2014 was really the only exception.

2014 was a nice ride until we ran into the ditch against bama and UNM.

RocketDawg
03-14-2018, 08:54 PM
2014 was a nice ride until we ran into the ditch against bama and UNM.

I think Bama did us in that year. If we'd beaten Alabama, we'd have beaten the Bears.

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Dan had the advantage of many more bowls than Jackie had! You get 6 wins you get a bowl now.

So many bowls, good grades and 5-7 got us in one bowl under Dan. There are what 150* bowls now. Heck, we stayed home one year with a 7-5 record under Jackie and I think UNM went to a bowl that year at 7-5.

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 08:57 PM
I think Bama did us in that year. If we'd beaten Alabama, we'd have beaten the Bears.

Dan drew up that year as usual, we had a very late TD to make it look close, if my memory serves me correctly.

Todd4State
03-14-2018, 11:04 PM

1A/1B did us in that year. Our coaches were dumbasses.

dawgday166
03-15-2018, 05:38 PM

Not against Bama it didn't. 323 yds total O for Bama. Our offense basically handed them the first 19 points.

RocketDawg
03-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Dan drew up that year as usual, we had a very late TD to make it look close, if my memory serves me correctly.

I don't remember how the score played out, but every time they'd show Dan on the sideline he looked scared to death. Saban must've really intimidated him.

DownwardDawg
03-15-2018, 05:58 PM
JWS was sooooo much better then Dan. It did not matter who we played when JWS was coach. When I walked into that stadium I EXPECTED to win. Whether we did or not, the other team dreaded the hell out of playing us. Dan never gave us that. He did however get us back on track from the crooms disaster. Hopefully Coach Joe can raise the bar!!

SailingDawg
03-15-2018, 08:27 PM
I don't remember how the score played out, but every time they'd show Dan on the sideline he looked scared to death. Saban must've really intimidated him.

This was always my thing with Dan: he got nervous in big games and the players felt it.

Homedawg
03-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Not against Bama it didn't. 323 yds total O for Bama. Our offense basically handed them the first 19 points.

Don't let facts get in the way.....

RocketDawg
03-15-2018, 08:51 PM
This was always my thing with Dan: he got nervous in big games and the players felt it.

I wonder if that will carry over to Florida? I suppose it's a personality trait so it probably will. It'll be fun to see him with the deer-in-the-headlights look in about 6 months at DWS. Really, I don't hate Dan, but it'll be good to beat him. Hope we can.

QuadrupleOption
03-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Guys, I liked Sherrill too but he was a .500 coach who got us on probation twice. His SEC records weren't any better than Dan's and his teams were way too boom or bust for my taste. For every #2 Florida win there was a ULL loss. Dan had one bad loss in 9 years.

I get that he left us and I'm annoyed that he pussed out and gave up and ran like a little bitch to Florida where he's going to get his ass run off after 4 years but he did a good job here. Give the man his due and let's start his firing from Florida by beating his team's ass in September.

Coach34
03-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Guys, I liked Sherrill too but he was a .500 coach who got us on probation twice. His SEC records weren't any better than Dan's and his teams were way too boom or bust for my taste. For every #2 Florida win there was a ULL loss. Dan had one bad loss in 9 years.

I get that he left us and I'm annoyed that he pussed out and gave up and ran like a little bitch to Florida where he's going to get his ass run off after 4 years but he did a good job here. Give the man his due and let's start his firing from Florida by beating his team's ass in September.

before the NCAA took its toll- Sherill was far from a .500 coach. Also was 7-4 vs OM before all that BS started. He wasnt as steady as Mullen- but fact remains he won the West and Mullen never did.

HoopsDawg
03-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Taking Matt Wells out for the 1B player really hurt us in that game. Bama's punter killed us as well.

Big play was Dak missing the throw before the half. And Dan called a terrible first half, but part of that was due to the Bama punter.

Todd4State
03-15-2018, 11:46 PM

The problem was we put the 1B's on the field for the most critical drive of the game at the end instead of our 1A's.

Todd4State
03-15-2018, 11:47 PM

Dan was cocky- but he wasn't confident.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Jackie is still the Kang in many ways: A. SEC West title - only SEC Title game I've attended B. More total wins C. Probably more quality wins (Usually more cupcakes scheduled in the 12 game seasons in recent years) C. Taught us we could win ( I know the last years were bad - thanks UNM & NCAA clouds over program) D. All Dawg - True Maroon. I would still make a donation for statue of him outside the stadium. JMO. I do think Jo will do a great job in all these areas. Hail State!

Dan was better.

I love Jackie and what he did here but Dan played in a MUCH better SEC West than Jackie. Bama and Auburn were both mediocre. Also, LSU wasn't good either but Jackie still could never beat them. We won the west in 90' by going 5-3 in the SEC with a road loss to Kentucky. Jackie's run in the 90's would have been equivalent to Mullen being in the East while at State. We would have won the east probably 3 times under Dan.

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Dan was better.

I love Jackie and what he did here but Dan played in a MUCH better SEC West than Jackie. Bama and Auburn were both mediocre. Also, LSU wasn't good either but Jackie still could never beat them. We won the west in 90' by going 5-3 in the SEC with a road loss to Kentucky. Jackie's run in the 90's would have been equivalent to Mullen being in the East while at State. We would have won the east probably 3 times under Dan.
Dan would’ve still been conservative in big games and choke them away.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Dan would’ve still been conservative in big games and choke them away.

The 98',99', and 2000 teams would have won 6 games max in the SEC west Dan's teams competed in.

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 08:40 AM
The 98',99', and 2000 teams would have won 6 games max in the SEC west Dan's teams competed in.

I think Jackie could?ve managed at least 3 SEC wins a year, plus the 4 cupcakes Mullins played. That?s at leaat 7 wins right there.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Dan was better.

Let's back that up and look at where we were when Jackie took over vs when Mullen did. In 1992- we were basically looked at by recruits as being the same as La Tech, Memphis, etc. Our facilities were awful. Our stadium seated 35K.

Mullen took over in a time of an elevated SEC that was getting its own network. Bigger stadium, mo momey, mo money, mo money...State was no longer looked at as being comparable to Memphis or La Tech anymore

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Let's back that up and look at where we were when Jackie took over vs when Mullen did. In 1992- we were basically looked at by recruits as being the same as La Tech, Memphis, etc. Our facilities were awful. Our stadium seated 35K.

Mullen took over in a time of an elevated SEC that was getting its own network. Bigger stadium, mo momey, mo money, mo money...State was no longer looked at as being comparable to Memphis or La Tech anymore

I don't disagree, and like I said earlier I like Jackie and am very appreciative of what he did for MSU.

The SEC network started in 2014. Mullen took over in 09.

Lastly, Pre Saban LSU from 1992-1999 while Jackie was at State had an overall record of 44-46. We were 1-7 in those 8 meetings (and we only got the 1 due to there being no instant replay) including a 41-6 beat down to a 4-7 LSU team in the 98' SECW championship season.

03-16-2018, 09:20 AM
That's the point, they performed similarly with the Kang having higher highs and lower lows. Muffins had a tougher SEC but Kang played tougher OOC schedules.

Nobody isn't giving him his due, what are you talking about

I give credit to Merlot for leaving when he did, instead of getting a bad attitude and giving up at the end like Kang. And it was headed that direction, see the emphasis on JUCOs

03-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Dak's red zone pics against Bama did us in, he didn't play like a Heisman contender that day

I'm convinced some of that was Merlot though, I think he rubbed off on the team

The Federalist Engineer
03-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Dan was feasting on minnows and his record is terrible in games with the spread less than 10 in his favor. You could say the Mullen factor is -6 to the opposition. Phil Steel keeps that kind of data.

Mullen will be a Saban ?analyst? in two/three years. But if I were Saban, I would rather have Freeze as an analyst. Freeze always went straight for Saban throat when playing Bama.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Lastly, Pre Saban LSU from 1992-1999 while Jackie was at State had an overall record of 44-46. We were 1-7 in those 8 meetings (and we only got the 1 due to there being no instant replay) including a 41-6 beat down to a 4-7 LSU team in the 98' SECW championship season.

While the network didnt launch until 2014- there was a good 2 years before it launched of SEC coaches selling it to recruits.

The SEC was still the SEC in the 90's. Auburn went undefeated once and was solid. Bama won the NC in 1992. OM was consistent with Tubbs and Cutcliffe. It just didnt have the 1 dominant team as it does now. Auburn has had losing seasons as has OM during Mullen's tenure. UPig has had losing seasons during Mullen's tenure just as they did in the 90's.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-16-2018, 11:50 AM
While the network didnt launch until 2014- there was a good 2 years before it launched of SEC coaches selling it to recruits.

The SEC was still the SEC in the 90's. Auburn went undefeated once and was solid. Bama won the NC in 1992. OM was consistent with Tubbs and Cutcliffe. It just didnt have the 1 dominant team as it does now. Auburn has had losing seasons as has OM during Mullen's tenure. UPig has had losing seasons during Mullen's tenure just as they did in the 90's.

In the 9 year periods from 1992-2000 and 2009-2017 every team in the SECW except Ole Miss (Excluding AM) is better from 09-17.

The SECW was for Mullen what the SECE was for Jackie. Mullen dealt with Bama, Auburn, and LSU every year relatively equivalent to how Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia were in the 90s.

Jackie in these 9 years played the eventual national champion or national runner up twice. Bama 92' and UT 98'. Mullen played the national champ or national runner up 10 times.

The levels of competition aren't even close.

Tbonewannabe
03-16-2018, 12:02 PM
I don't disagree, and like I said earlier I like Jackie and am very appreciative of what he did for MSU.

The TD was very close and could have been overturned but I have seen worse not overturned. I will say without a shadow of doubt that LSU the next year was given a TD by the refs. LSU scored a TD with Eugene Clinton the only one in the endzone with the ball. The LSU player somehow scored a TD from around the 4 yard line while the ball crossed the goal line. I would think that more than made up for it since that game doesn't go into overtime without that TD.

HoopsDawg
03-16-2018, 12:17 PM
I?ll always remember JWS as accomplishing more than Mullen. Mullen is a solid coach though. Very good QB coach.

Tbonewannabe
03-16-2018, 12:33 PM
I?ll always remember JWS as accomplishing more than Mullen. Mullen is a solid coach though. Very good QB coach.

JWS showed we could win a Championship in football. We were less than a quarter away from winning the SEC. Dan showed us we could consistently compete for bowl games. Both have built the program to where hopefully Coach JoeMo will take it.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 12:54 PM
In the 9 year periods from 1992-2000 and 2009-2017 every team in the SECW except Ole Miss (Excluding AM) is better from 09-17.

The levels of competition aren't even close.

UPig is the same now as it was in 90's- 4 losing seasons in that span but an SEC West co-title vs 3 losing seasons 2009-2017
Auburn had 2 losing seasons in that 90's span with 4 top 15 finishes- including 1 undefeated season. Auburn has 2 last place West finishes in the Mullen-era
OM had 2 losing seasons in the Jackie-era 90's- but had 3 in the Mullen era

All thats a wash....LSU and Bama are certainly better tho.

The 90's also had a tougher East- which made those games tougher- as opposed to being the easier games as the power of the SEC has shifted to the West. Did Mullen play a tougher West? Sure. Did Mullen start at a higher point than Jackie to equip him to meet those demands? Absolutely.

sonofozarka
03-16-2018, 01:16 PM
This.

Dan's SEC and especially SEC West were as strong as any division has been... ever.

Jackie won while LSU & Bama were WAY down from what they've been the last 10 years, and while Auburn had some dips.

The East was the bear back then and Jackie avoided playing even 1 of UF, UGA, and UT in many years.

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 01:21 PM
This.

Dan's SEC and especially SEC West were as strong as any division has been... ever.

Jackie won while LSU & Bama were WAY down from what they've been the last 10 years, and while Auburn had some dips.

The East was the bear back then and Jackie avoided playing even 1 of UF, UGA, and UT in many years.

Dan won 6 games because he loaded up with 4 La tech’s, trashy UK, and beat Ark/OM, or aTm. Not that hard. JWS played a tougher NC schedule. I’ll give Dan credit, he was a good developer, but if he was half as good as he thought he was, we’d of won 2 Titles.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Dan was 2-16 vs Bama and LSU...Jackie had a couple more overall. But it still comes down to games vs the rest of the SEC when judging them. Games vs Bama and LSU have never been the way to judge our program

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Dan won 6 games because he loaded up with 4 La tech’s, trashy UK, and beat Ark/OM, or aTm. Not that hard. JWS played a tougher NC schedule. I’ll give Dan credit, he was a good developer, but if he was half as good as he thought he was, we’d of won 2 Titles.

As opposed to Jackie? First of all we always play UK no matter what. This wasn't a scheduling tactic by Mullen. Also, Jackie lost to UK in the 98 SECW Champ season.

Next here is a list of all non conference opponents from 1992-2000

Texas
Memphis
Ark St

Tulane
Ark St
Mem

Mem
Ark St.
Tulane

Baylor
NE Louisiana
Memphis

La Tech
Memphis
NE Lousiana

Memphis
NE Louisiana
UCF

Memphis
E Tenn St.
Ok St

Ok St
MTSU
Memphis

BYU
Memphis
MTSU

So in his first nine years Jackie played a total 3 power 5 teams:

1992 Texas 6-5
1995 Baylor 7-4
1998 Ok St. 5-6 (Beat State SECW Champs)
1999 Ok St. 5-6

HoopsDawg
03-16-2018, 02:20 PM
As opposed to Jackie? First of all we always play UK no matter what. This wasn't a scheduling tactic by Mullen. Also, Jackie lost to UK in the 98 SECW Champ season.

Texas
Memphis
Ark St

Tulane
Ark St
Mem

Mem
Ark St.
Tulane

Baylor
NE Louisiana
Memphis

La Tech
Memphis
NE Lousiana

Memphis
NE Louisiana
UCF

Memphis
E Tenn St.
Ok St

Ok St
MTSU
Memphis

BYU
Memphis
MTSU

1992 Texas 6-5
1995 Baylor 7-4
1999 Ok St. 5-6

Notice that Jackie only got 3 non-conference to Mullen's 4 gimmie wins.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Yeah and notice all the cupcakes, I'm sure he would have scheduled a 4th if it were allowed

msstate7
03-16-2018, 02:50 PM
During sherrill tenure, sec West won 1 natty (1992 bama). During Mullen tenure, sec West won 6 natties, 2 other west teams played in championship game, and bama lost in playoff game.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Yeah and notice all the cupcakes, I'm sure he would have scheduled a 4th if it were allowed

those teams werent cupcakes when Jackie took over and were on our level in both money and facilities

Bulldog1
03-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Texas
Memphis
Ark St

Tulane
Ark St
Mem

Mem
Ark St.
Tulane

Baylor
NE Louisiana
Memphis

La Tech
Memphis
NE Lousiana

Memphis
NE Louisiana
UCF

Memphis
E Tenn St.
Ok St

Ok St
MTSU
Memphis

BYU
Memphis
MTSU

1992 Texas 6-5
1995 Baylor 7-4
1999 Ok St. 5-6

I wish you’d point to anywhere in my posts and show me where I blamed Mullen for playing UK. You won’t find anything. You said JWS wouldn’t win more than 6 games now, and I said JWS would win 7 games at least once. That?s all.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 03:17 PM
During sherrill tenure, sec West won 1 natty (1992 bama). During Mullen tenure, sec West won 6 natties, 2 other west teams played in championship game, and bama lost in playoff game.

That really doesnt matter- State wasnt beating LSU or Bama no matter who coached us

Bama won the title in 1992, finished 13th in 93, 4th in 94, 21st in 95, 11th in 96, and 8th in 99
Auburn was undefeated in 1993, 9th in 94, 21st in 1995, 24th in 1996, 11th in 97, and 15th in 2000
Florida played for the title in 1995
Florida won it in 1996
Tenn won it in 1997

Stop acting like the SEC was any different then. Only difference now is Bama

msstate7
03-16-2018, 03:35 PM
That really doesnt matter- State wasnt beating LSU or Bama no matter who coached us

Bama won the title in 1992, finished 13th in 93, 4th in 94, 21st in 95, 11th in 96, and 8th in 99
Auburn was undefeated in 1993, 9th in 94, 21st in 1995, 24th in 1996, 11th in 97, and 15th in 2000
Florida played for the title in 1995
Florida won it in 1996
Tenn won it in 1997

Stop acting like the SEC was any different then. Only difference now is Bama

You really think the sec west was as good when sherrill was here as Mullen? Lol... during Mullen tenure, what sec west school made the sec championship as a less than 10 win team?

Coach34
03-16-2018, 03:46 PM
You really think the sec west was as good when sherrill was here as Mullen? Lol... during Mullen tenure, what sec west school made the sec championship as a less than 10 win team?

teams played 1 less game then and also there were ties.

The question is not who wins the league- its the strength of the league top to bottom. As I said- We rarely beat Bama or LSU under Jackie- and we rarely beat them now. So nothing has changed for us on that front. The SEC is no different to us in that aspect

Coach34
03-16-2018, 03:52 PM
SEC West Champ-

1992- Bama- national champion
1993- Bama- 8-2-1 (less one win because of scheduling plus a tie)
1994- Bama 11-0
1995- UPig- 8-3 would have been 9-3 overall today...6-2 in the West
1996- Bama and LSU were 9-2...Bama went...would be 10-2 today
1997- Auburn was 9-2...would have been 10-2 today
1998- State- 8-3 would have been 9-3 today....6-2 in the West
1999- Bama 9-2- would have been 10-2 today

But again- the strength of the SEC is top to bottom. Not what the top team is. Hell, you got people around the country today calling the SEC weak except for Bama until Georgia won this year

msstate7
03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
SEC West Champ-

1992- Bama- national champion
1993- Bama- 8-2-1 (less one win because of scheduling plus a tie)
1994- Bama 11-0
1995- UPig- 8-3 would have been 9-3 overall today...6-2 in the West
1996- Bama and LSU were 9-2...Bama went...would be 10-2 today
1997- Auburn was 9-2...would have been 10-2 today
1998- State- 8-3 would have been 9-3 today....6-2 in the West
1999- Bama 9-2- would have been 10-2 today

But again- the strength of the SEC is top to bottom. Not what the top team is. Hell, you got people around the country today calling the SEC weak except for Bama until Georgia won this year

Maybe now they call it weak, but up until a year of 2 ago, the west was very strong top to bottom

Coach34
03-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Maybe now they call it weak, but up until a year of 2 ago, the west was very strong top to bottom

2009- UPig, Auburn, and State 3-5 in the SEC
2010- OM was 1-7
2011- OM was 0-8 and State 2-6
2012- OM 3-5, Upig 2-6, and Auburn 0-8
2013- OM and State 3-5, Upig 0-8
2014- A&M 3-5 and UPig 2-6
2015- Auburn 2-6...strong year
2016- UPig and State 3-5, OM 2-6
2017- OM 3-5 and UPig 1-7

Why is this better than the 1990's?

QuadrupleOption
03-16-2018, 04:17 PM
That's the point, they performed similarly with the Kang having higher highs and lower lows. Muffins had a tougher SEC but Kang played tougher OOC schedules.

Nobody isn't giving him his due, what are you talking about

I give credit to Merlot for leaving when he did, instead of getting a bad attitude and giving up at the end like Kang. And it was headed that direction, see the emphasis on JUCOs

Uh what? This thread is full of folks trying every way they can to NOT give Mullen credit for raising our program another level. I thought his taking the job at Florida was dumb as Hell but I recognize that he did a lot of great things for us, and I think that many of the posters in this thread are romanticizing Sherrill's run here and forgetting about some of the atrocious freaking seasons we had to put up with while he was our coach - '93, '95, '01, '02, and '03.

He was a good coach, and he was responsible for a lot of memorable wins, but Mullen ran a better program in a tougher era. The numbers don't lie.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 04:36 PM
He was a good coach, and he was responsible for a lot of memorable wins, but Mullen ran a better program in a tougher era. The numbers don't lie.

How is this era tougher? Thats what I'm arguing. Bama is still winning the West now like it did in the 1990's- so why is it tougher in the SEC now? Hell, now with all the money we have a top half budget 1/3 budget in college football. in the 1990's? We werent top half.

1992- Bama won the NC
1993- Auburn was unbeaten
1994- Bama won the West at 11-0
1995- Florida lost in the NC game
1996- Florida won the NC
1997- Tenn won the NC

How is now any tougher than then?

QuadrupleOption
03-16-2018, 05:13 PM
How is this era tougher? Thats what I'm arguing. Bama is still winning the West now like it did in the 1990's- so why is it tougher in the SEC now? Hell, now with all the money we have a top half budget 1/3 budget in college football. in the 1990's? We werent top half.

1992- Bama won the NC
1993- Auburn was unbeaten
1994- Bama won the West at 11-0
1995- Florida lost in the NC game
1996- Florida won the NC
1997- Tenn won the NC

How is now any tougher than then?

Are you honestly trying to say that a division that has produced 6 national championships in 9 years as well as two runner-ups is equivalent to a division that produced 1 national champion (okay Auburn had two undefeated seasons as well) in Sherrill's 13 seasons?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-16-2018, 05:13 PM
Yeah you're right but it seems like we do. Us and Ole Miss have the easiest East permanents.

I imagine the SEC East teams say the same thing about UK and Vandy.

bulldawg28
03-16-2018, 05:19 PM
I love Jackie. I played under him but Dan was/is better. Jackie always had good defenses and terrible to below average offenses. He had better FG kickers and good punters. Dan had more balanced teams with good offensive and defensive teams. FG teams never were reliable but it's not even close. Mullen had actual teams. Jackie had defenses. They crazy thing is Jackie had overall better talent than Mullen and didn't use it properly.

Coach34
03-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Are you honestly trying to say that a division that has produced 6 national championships in 9 years as well as two runner-ups is equivalent to a division that produced 1 national champion (okay Auburn had two undefeated seasons as well) in Sherrill's 13 seasons?

I'm saying the division is more than 1 team. Because Gonzaga wins their division every year and is nationally ranked in basketball- does that make their division tougher than the SEC? You are equating one dominant team in a division as making the overall division tougher for some reason. I'm saying nothing has changed for us- we rarely beat Bama or LSU under Sherrill and nothing changed under Mullen. Still just as tough for us.

Goldendawg
03-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Both Jackie and Dan's teams played the teams that they were scheduled to play. I appreciate most of what each of them did for State, but I sat in Atlanta ahead for the SEC Championship with about a quarter to go with a Jackie coached team. Never happened with Dan, even when we were #1 for about 5 weeks. Just sayin.

maroonmania
03-16-2018, 09:53 PM
The TD was very close and could have been overturned but I have seen worse not overturned. I will say without a shadow of doubt that LSU the next year was given a TD by the refs. LSU scored a TD with Eugene Clinton the only one in the endzone with the ball. The LSU player somehow scored a TD from around the 4 yard line while the ball crossed the goal line. I would think that more than made up for it since that game doesn't go into overtime without that TD.

No way the '99 TD would have been overturned against LSU. The runner was in a mass of humanity at the goal line. I've watched that replay 10 times and still can't tell for sure where the ball was when Gibson's knee touched because of the crowd and because he was on top of players. Now one of the TDs LSU scored against us in Baton Rouge in 2000 ABSOLUTELY would have been overturned with replay today where we batted the ball out of the RB's hand at the 1 yard line and it went flying through the back of the end zone. That play was out in the wide open and should have been called correct live if it weren't for biased SEC officiating. Given that game went to OT and we lost I'm going to say that was one LSU victory that was stolen from Sherrill.