PDA

View Full Version : Peter Burns of SECN says Nick is the 7th best QB in the SEC

MadDawg
03-13-2018, 09:18 AM
What do you think?

https://s13.postimg.org/d83qlpqmv/QBList.jpg

msstate7
03-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Drafting for an nfl team or an sec team?

03-13-2018, 09:27 AM
That's absolute silliness. He's probably #1

fishwater99
03-13-2018, 09:29 AM
I hope they keep downplaying Nick and our team. We need a little chip on our shoulder.

tcdog70
03-13-2018, 09:31 AM
I'll take Fitz--who cares about the NFL. Nick will stomp mudholes in the SEC. Now he has some WRs and a Coach that knows how to go down the field. He has a Coach that is a RPO guru. that Is RUN-PASS-Option. If you look up Running QB--Fitz's picture is there.

Bulldog1
03-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Fitz will light the SEC up this year. Mark it down

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-13-2018, 09:37 AM
This is stupid. 7th ? Seriously ? I don't know if I can name 7 starters going into next year in the SEC.

Fromm played well but really didn't throw the ball all that much. Let's see what he does next year when Chubb and Michel are gone and he has to shoulder the load more.

Tua played one great half of football so apparently hes a football god now.

Stidham- Had a good year, and is probably poised for another good season.

I honestly don't know another SEC QB going into 2018. 7th seriously ?

Edit: Forgot about Drew Lock, he had a great year throwing it for Mizzou. I can see him being mentioned here

BulldogBear
03-13-2018, 09:46 AM
And so it begins. 2018 SEC preseason has officially arrived.

I am most looking forward to seeing us picked 8th, 9th, or even as high as 10th in the West*

It. Could. Happen.*

Bass Chaser
03-13-2018, 09:47 AM
If you read through the other comments, he based his ranking on Fitz uncertainty for returning from the injury.

BeardoMSU
03-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Burns is a dufus, and not just because of this. He may be the worst personality on that network, especially now that Booger is gone.

BulldogBear
03-13-2018, 09:51 AM
If you read through the other comments, he based his ranking on Fitz uncertainty for returning from the injury.

I figured as much. BUT..... would we really see them punt another QB with Nick's rep and qualifications so low because of an injury they seem to be recovering from? Of course maybe, but more than likely not.

chef dixon
03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Fitz needs to prove it with his arm

Commercecomet24
03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Burns is a dufus, and not just because of this. He may be the worst personality on that network, especially now that Booger is gone.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/566/702/3f2.jpeg

Cooterpoot
03-13-2018, 09:56 AM
I'd put him 2nd-4th. Fitz does have issues with accuracy and who knows about him after the injury, so I can see why he'd be lower. Noboby knows how good Tua is yet. Hurts is the worst.

Coach34
03-13-2018, 10:00 AM
disagree on Burns- he usually does a solid job. He has given us props numerous times on other things.

Fitz will show everyone his passing is good enough to be drafted next April. Not worried about him.

chef dixon
03-13-2018, 10:13 AM
disagree on Burns- he usually does a solid job. He has given us props numerous times on other things.

Fitz will show everyone his passing is good enough to be drafted next April. Not worried about him.

Yea. Burns is usually showing state a good bit of love. Has called our jobs/atmosphere excellent and underrated.

Dawgbite
03-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Fitz is returning from a major injury, I thinks its a given that he will physically be ready by september but will he be mentally recovered? Fitz hasn't shown accuracy with the deep ball and he needs to develop a touch on the shorter stuff. He throws everything like a bullet. The potential is there, he just hasn't realized it yet.

MedDawg
03-13-2018, 10:49 AM
What do you think?

While I appreciate what Dak doing well in the NFL has done for MSU, for my State QB I will always prefer college production over the pros. I'll take Tee Martin results over Peyton Manning results every time.

PMDawg
03-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Stidham at #1? List is automatically disqualified.

thf24
03-13-2018, 11:25 AM
I don't know what everyone is freaking out over... of course Fitz isn't going to project near the top as a pro based on his career thus far. The only head scratcher is Hurts, and I don't think Tua has enough of a sample size for consideration, but it's not hard to argue that the other four have more potential as pocket passers based on what we've seen thus far. I agree with 34 though that Fitz is going to do plenty to change that this year.

03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
I don't know what everyone is freaking out over... of course Fitz isn't going to project near the top as a pro based on his career thus far. The only head scratcher is Hurts, and I don't think Tua has enough of a sample size for consideration, but it's not hard to argue that the other four have more potential as pocket passers based on what we've seen thus far. I agree with 34 though that Fitz is going to do plenty to change that this year.

It's who you want to play college ball with next season. All things equal it's got to be Fitzgerald

MoreCowbell
03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
If it?s solely for NFL I would probably go
1. Locke
2. Stidham
3. Bentley
4. Fitz
5. Fromm
6. Hurts
...no reason to rank Tua because he has played one game and Hurts will never see the NFL field as a QB IMO. I would take Fitz over them all for college only though. He is going to have to make major strides passing the ball before I would draft him above the other 3. I don?t get Burns putting Hurts, Tua, and Fromm above Fitz though. Burns is a big mouthpiece for us too, he likes State.

BrunswickDawg
03-13-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm going to say this:
Fitz with Dan: #4
Fitz with Joe:#1

We all know what would happen this fall with Dan as coach. Dan would get conservative with Fitz's running, and force him into a check down system attempting to prove again that he is the QB Guru and can make even a 2* with only offers from "U T Chatta-noooga" an NFL QB.

With Joe, I think we will still get to see Fitz do what Fitz does best - RTDFB. For Fitz, that means a much higher completion percentage. In 2 seasons (minus the USA '16 and OM '17 games), when gaining 80+ rushing yards, Fitz has a completion % of 60.4%. In games with less than 80 yards rushing, his completion % plummets to 46.8%. With Joe's RPO package and a downfield passing game, I think we see a Cam Newton-esque season on the horizon.

TrapGame
03-13-2018, 01:16 PM
I'm going to say this:

We all know what would happen this fall with Dan as coach. Dan would get conservative with Fitz's running, and force him into a check down system attempting to prove again that he is the QB Guru and can make even a 2* with only offers from "U T Chatta-noooga" an NFL QB.

With Joe, I think we will still get to see Fitz do what Fitz does best - RTDFB. For Fitz, that means a much higher completion percentage. In 2 seasons (minus the USA '16 and OM '17 games), when gaining 80+ rushing yards, Fitz has a completion % of 60.4%. In games with less than 80 yards rushing, his completion % plummets to 46.8%. With Joe's RPO package and a downfield passing game, I think we see a Cam Newton-esque season on the horizon.

100% agree with this.

Fitz runs to set up the pass next season. And with Guidry, Whop and Heath he'll put up some solid passing stats.

BuckyIsAB****
03-13-2018, 01:58 PM
I hope they keep downplaying Nick and our team. We need a little chip on our shoulder.

Exactly. We always play better as the underdog

BuckyIsAB****
03-13-2018, 02:01 PM
What do you think?

I think its a good thing he is saying this bc Nick and the team will feed off it but realistically, if you take Jalen Hurts, Bentley, Stidham, or Drew Lock over Nick Fitzgerald you should be fired immediately.

I could see the argument for Fromm and Tua bc they are young and only gonna get better but we know what the rest of those guys are and none of them are as talented as Fitz.

Lock is the only one who has a slight chance bc he can help win you a game with his arm. He hasnt won anything but thats mainly due to his defense being trash. The others arent put the team on my back guys

Coach34
03-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Locke is going to be a 1st round draft pick...Stidham likely gets drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Bothrops
03-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Fitz won't be running neatly as much, unless what we're trying to do isn't working

Todd4State
03-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Fitz won't be running neatly as much, unless what we're trying to do isn't working

Not really. He'll be running about as much but just with fewer designed QB runs. It will be off of read option and RPO's mainly.

CarolinaDawgs
03-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Stidham at #1? List is automatically disqualified.

The Auburn QB for Heisman narrative is UNDEFEATED in preseason SEC Media talk.

Wash. Rinse. Fail. Repeat

RiverCityDawg
03-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Not really. He'll be running about as much but just with fewer designed QB runs. It will be off of read option and RPO's mainly.

Precisely because our running game will be based on the read option and RPO?s he likely WILL run less. Unless we think defenses will defend us against the pass first or against the pitch to the RB, he will be running less. Until these receivers and Fitz?s arm make teams plan to stop the passing game more so than his running threat, opponents will continue to plan for stopping Fitz first. He might have a higher YPC average because of fewer short yardage designed runs, but I would bet the farm he has much fewer carries per game.

smootness
03-14-2018, 02:41 PM
I'm going to say this:

The Dan Mullen hate has gone a little overboard on this site. If you think another coach is going to come in and run him more than Mullen did, I think you're insane.

And the completion percentage stat is probably due far more to 2 things:
1) Good defenses are better at stopping you from running and passing.
2) It was probably the run they shut down first. After doing that, he becomes 1-dimensional, and defending his passing is much easier.

I don't believe it was just because we chose not to run him as much in those games.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2018, 03:32 PM
The Dan Mullen hate has gone a little overboard on this site. If you think another coach is going to come in and run him more than Mullen did, I think you're insane.

And the completion percentage stat is probably due far more to 2 things:
1) Good defenses are better at stopping you from running and passing.
2) It was probably the run they shut down first. After doing that, he becomes 1-dimensional, and defending his passing is much easier.

I don't believe it was just because we chose not to run him as much in those games.

How is it Dan Mullen hate to recognize that he did exactly what I described with Dak. He ran Dak 50 fewer times in '14 than in '15 and attempted 81 more passes. That is a significant change in offensive style for a QB.

And while Fitz's worst games were when the run has been shut down - many of those games Dan gave up the QB run from the start. Whenever Dan had a team jump us early for 1-2 quick scores, he moved away from the QB run and got conservative in the passing game. Did you ever feel like we could come from behind if we got down 10 versus any SEC team? So, yeah on that side you are probably right. However, I think Joe's offense stretches the field more and would open things up more if the run gets shut down. And that is an advantage over Dan's offense.