PDA

View Full Version : Surprised no mention of Kermit Jr to the Sharks!

shannondawg
03-13-2018, 08:21 AM
I heard he was actively pursuing the job, whether thats correct or not , I don't know. But the CL did have a mention of it.

Bulldog1
03-13-2018, 08:29 AM
I saw that if offered, he’ll take it. OM fans are not happy!

MedDawg
03-13-2018, 08:59 AM
I heard he was actively pursuing the job, whether thats correct or not , I don't know. But the CL did have a mention of it.

State grad, former MSU basketball player-he's a plant by Cohen and Keenum. Will lose on purpose to State, then slowly trash their program before retiring.

Bulldog1
03-13-2018, 09:32 AM
State grad, former MSU basketball player-he's a plant by Cohen and Keenum. Will lose on purpose to State, then slowly trash their program before retiring.

We can hope lol

Ifyouonlyknew
03-13-2018, 09:55 AM
He's the guy. He'll coach MTSU in their 1st game but if the 2nd game is a road game it's expected he'll hand the reigns to an assistant & he'll head to Oxford.

Dawg61
03-13-2018, 01:04 PM
He's done a terrific job at MTSU. We'll see how he does in the big boy league now. Kermit shoulda been hired here instead of Ray but I ain't mad cause he woulda done too well for us to get Howland.

Bully13
03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
I saw that if offered, he’ll take it. OM fans are not happy!

Why would they be unhappy with Kermit? Cuz he went to State?

Coach34
03-13-2018, 01:34 PM
yep. Bothers alot of their fans. Plus- they were dumb enough to think Matta would take their job or White would leave Fla

MarketingBully
03-13-2018, 03:39 PM
He’s a good coach but not a great recruiter. He was going to bring Butch Pierre with him and make him associate head coach if he had landed the State job instead of Ray. Not sure who his top assistant/recruiter will be at Ole Miss. He’s basically an Andy Kennedy clone. Good coach but blah recruiter. If Penny gets the job at Memphis, I think that hurts Ole Miss far worse then it could hurt us. We shall see. I think they will get more of the same with Davis that they had with Kennedy. I think it’s a slight upgrade but they certainly could have done worse and they didn’t really Rick Ray their situation. I give it a solid B-.

99jc
03-13-2018, 03:46 PM
I went to high school with Kermit...played bb with him. He is a good guy. His career got stymied by the illegal recruiting he got caught coaching Idaho years ago.

preachermatt83
03-13-2018, 03:46 PM
He’s a good coach but not a great recruiter. He was going to bring Butch Pierre with him and make him associate head coach if he had landed the State job instead of Ray. Not sure who his top assistant/recruiter will be at Ole Miss. He’s basically an Andy Kennedy clone. Good coach but blah recruiter. If Penny gets the job at Memphis, I think that hurts Ole Miss far worse then it could hurt us. We shall see. I think they will get more of the same with Davis that they had with Kennedy. I think it’s a slight upgrade but they certainly could have done worse and they didn’t really Rick Ray their situation. I give it a solid B-.

Excellent post.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-13-2018, 03:48 PM
He's made a living the last few years with Senior Transfers....I think their (Ole Miss) best signee has already asked for his release upon hearing the news....

Ari Gold
03-13-2018, 05:05 PM
He would do very well at a place that gave 2 shits about basketball.
Umiss doesn’t . This may be a disaster . Good Luck Kermit . You are going to need it.

Bulldog1
03-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Umiss doesn’t . This may be a disaster . Good Luck Kermit . You are going to need it.

I definitely don’t think it will be a quick fix. Could very well be like you said- a disaster.

MarketingBully
03-13-2018, 08:41 PM

It all will come down to can he recruit which is why AK got let go. If he can’t get the players, he will have similar success and the ceiling of AK. The only issue is the SEC is getting better so Davis will have a tough time reaching AK’s ceiling.

IMissJack
03-13-2018, 10:55 PM
One MSU grad did a heck of a job for OM, Van Chancellor.

BiscuitEater
03-14-2018, 04:27 AM
He's made a living the last few years with Senior Transfers....I think their (Ole Miss) best signee has already asked for his release upon hearing the news....

Graduate transfers, disgruntled transfers, JC players and foreign players have been the OM way. See Marshal Henderson.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-14-2018, 09:45 AM
He's the guy. He'll coach MTSU in their 1st game but if the 2nd game is a road game it's expected he'll hand the reigns to an assistant & he'll head to Oxford.

He has now said he'll coach MTSU for as long as they're in the NIT.

Ari Gold
03-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Unless a contract has been signed, wouldn’t shock me to see Kermit stay at MTSU.

I said it before it’s the worse basketball gig in the conference.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Unless a contract has been signed, wouldn’t shock me to see Kermit stay at MTSU.

He's getting older & it's probably his last shot at a P5 job & big payday. Take it & if it doesn't work out you've banked $4-6m for retirement.

preachermatt83
03-14-2018, 11:27 AM

Reporting that he's accepted

LC Dawg
03-14-2018, 11:48 AM
MTSU losing in their conference tourney really screwed Kermit. I think if they had made the big tourney and won a game or two he could have gotten better offers than Ole Miss but at this point in his career he knows this is about the best he can do - which has to be depressing to him. I think the only way he is successful at Ole Miss is if they decide to give a shit about basketball and use their football recruiting tactics for basketball. It has always perplexed me that as much as they love recruiting on the plantation that they have shunned basketball. It is the best sport in which to get really good really quickly if you are willing to do whatever it takes to get players.

shannondawg
03-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Kellenburger did a hit piece on the sharks hoops program. Somebody must have peed on his leg up there, cause he sure don't like em anymore.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/columnists/kellenberger/2018/03/14/kellenberger-hiring-kermit-davis-ok-but-doesnt-change-ole-miss-basketball-middle-tennessee-state/423681002/

Don't know for sure, but heard that Kermit was rethinking since Matta turned down the other bulldogs.

Ari Gold
03-14-2018, 12:25 PM
He's getting older & it's probably his last shot at a P5 job & big payday. Take it & if it doesn't work out you've banked $4-6m for retirement.

I agree 100% it will be a huge pay raise, but if he thinks another P5 is a year away that actually gives a shit about Hoops and gives him a shot he could rethink it. Im sure he will take it but feed back from Clut U isn?t good

Goldendawg
03-14-2018, 02:10 PM
NM

Rejlector84sports
03-14-2018, 06:30 PM
I think it definitely shows that the Sharts don't give a d**n about basketball when a State grad is actually being considered for a job at the Plantation. Chancellor was brought in to coach women's because of what he did at Harrison Central -- unlike Schafer who has a lot of college experience. Chancellor was able to do something without the athletic department caring -- and when he left the women's team went bust. I doubt Bjork put much into a search, and won't for the women's search either, simply because if 11 aren't playing on a field, no one in Oxtard cares (their softballl team won the SEC last season and who heard about it?)

Bulldog1
03-14-2018, 06:59 PM
I read (on the rant) that they’re going to pay Kermit $2.8M. That’s more than we pay Howland, and Kermit ain’t no Howland, I can assure you that.

Pit Bull
03-14-2018, 07:20 PM
He?s a good coach but not a great recruiter. He was going to bring Butch Pierre with him and make him associate head coach if he had landed the State job instead of Ray. Not sure who his top assistant/recruiter will be at Ole Miss. He?s basically an Andy Kennedy clone. Good coach but blah recruiter. If Penny gets the job at Memphis, I think that hurts Ole Miss far worse then it could hurt us. We shall see. I think they will get more of the same with Davis that they had with Kennedy. I think it?s a slight upgrade but they certainly could have done worse and they didn?t really Rick Ray their situation. I give it a solid B-.

Penny will get the cream of the cream in Memphis area. If Kermit comes in and gets sloppy seconds, he'll do well. Plenty of talent in Memphis area to support 4-5 good D1 programs.