PDA

View Full Version : 2018-2019 hoops schedule

Shake 'n Bake
03-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know anything about next years schedule? Pretty appparent that our weak schedule this year was a huge X on our resume, mainly wondering if we had intentions of beefing the schedule up

MetEdDawg
03-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know anything about next years schedule? Pretty appparent that our weak schedule this year was a huge X on our resume, mainly wondering if we had intentions of beefing the schedule up

Well we get a built in Big 12 challenge game now. Also get Dayton away and Cincinnati at home. Plus we travel to Las Vegas for a tournament that has Arizona State and I believe a couple other decent teams.

So we will have a couple neutral site games against hopefully decent RPI opponents and the Big 12 challenge game. Got to figure we will add another Power 5 game as well. Our non conference will be significantly better next year. We’ve got to stay away from those teams routinely in the 300s in RPI. We had 5 of those this year.

civildawg
03-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Pretty sure we aren?t in the big 12 challenge again next year based on an article that was posted a few weeks ago

Shake 'n Bake
03-11-2018, 08:19 PM
I read somewhere the big 12 challenge is gonna be a repeat of this years participants which sucks for us

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2018, 08:24 PM
Will Sammon had an article about this a couple months ago.

https://amp.clarionledger.com/amp/1045198001

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Well we get a built in Big 12 challenge game now. Also get Dayton away and Cincinnati at home. Plus we travel to Las Vegas for a tournament that has Arizona State and I believe a couple other decent teams.

So we will have a couple neutral site games against hopefully decent RPI opponents and the Big 12 challenge game. Got to figure we will add another Power 5 game as well. Our non conference will be significantly better next year. We’ve got to stay away from those teams routinely in the 300s in RPI. We had 5 of those this year.

No B12 challenge game. Same teams as last year. So the 13th and 14th teams in the final standings will be representing us instead of the 1st and 7th place teams.

http://www.secsports.com/article/19455307/2018-big-12-sec-challenge-match-ups-set

ETA: forgot the B12 has 10 teams in it. The 4 worst teams in the standing from this year will be there instead of Auburn, Mizzou, LSU and us

civildawg
03-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Just stay away from sub 150 RPI teams and it won?t matter. We have no one else to blame but ourselves because of our schedule

ScottH
03-11-2018, 09:06 PM
I caught a hoops show on XM yesterday evening. They were talking about the teams that weren't likely to make it.

When discussing us they said the losses at UM and Vandy hurt us as much as our preseason.

In summary they thought, we win those two and we're in.

Quaoarsking
03-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Cutting the sub-300 games is the easiest way to improve our schedule.

As an experiment, I used BartTorvik to cut 5 home games against sub-300 RPI teams (Alabama State, Florida A&M, Green Bay, Little Rock, and UT-Martin) and replaced them with home games against teams with an RPI around 200: Troy, UTSA, Louisiana Tech, Tennessee State, and Tulane. All of these are local teams we likely would have beaten.

Our RPI jumps from 73 to 49, putting us right on the edge of the tournament, and that's just from replacing 5 scrub home games with 5 other scrub home games.

Quaoarsking
03-11-2018, 09:42 PM
I caught a hoops show on XM yesterday evening. They were talking about the teams that weren't likely to make it.

When discussing us they said the losses at UM and Vandy hurt us as much as our preseason.

In summary they thought, we win those two and we're in.

Flipping those two from wins to losses gets us to an RPI of 46. Also beating Missouri gets us to 35.

crackerjax
03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
There are plenty of regional mid majors to boost the non conference SOS and make for more appealing games for fans: MTSU, Memphis, Lafayette, Tulane, La Tech, Western Kentucky, ETSU, Belmont, Lipscomb, Georgia State, Wofford. Adding another neutral site game or two in Southaven or Biloxi or Tupelo over the holidays would also help a little.