PDA

View Full Version : Mingione has UK at #6 in the nation

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 03:48 PM
and about to get the series win against #3 Texas Tech.. I don't know why anybody would want him coaching our team***. Good grief we have some dumb fans.

ShotgunDawg
03-10-2018, 04:04 PM
I'd love to have Ming coaching our team. He's do really well.

It's important to note however that he did not recruit most of the players on his team that have them at #6 in the country.

College baseball is about recruiting & getting good players to campus. Not about in-game strategy, hitting coach, etc.... a good pitching coach is extremely important, but the rest is about recruiting.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Still don’t want him

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Still don’t want him
Give us a list you would like to see hired. Ur opinion is really respected around here.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 04:13 PM
From what I've been told from a player(a starter) we have reached out to some huge names. Two being sec coaches. I have been like C34 about this... I don't think we can just go get anybody we want like some of you guys do but the more I talk to a couple of people who are def in the know the more I think Cohen is atleast going after some huge fish.

RougeDawg
03-10-2018, 04:16 PM

It's important to note however that he did not recruit most of the players on his team that have them at #6 in the country.

College baseball is about recruiting & getting good players to campus. Not about in-game strategy, hitting coach, etc.... a good pitching coach is extremely important, but the rest is about recruiting.

Coastal Carolina, Fresno State and plenty others disagree. Quality coaching can beat uncoached talent any day and most times does with baseball. It?s even more prevalent than basketball with the two examples above. You give a high baseball mechanics baseball coach like Gilmore a team full of average guys who are cochabke and do what they are told, and he will beat teams like ours with more talent on paper but no coaching. And I?m not talking in game coaching. I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again. The only year in recent memory our players have received quality hitting coaching was last season. Cody Brown was who I heard this from.

Cue the ?you don?t know what you are talking about crowd? in 3,2,1......

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 04:20 PM
I’ve heard that Jim Schlossnagle has reached out to Cohen for the job, but I don’t know if he’ll come here.

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 04:20 PM
From what I've been told from a player(a starter) we have reached out to some huge names. Two being sec coaches. I have been like C34 about this... I don't think we can just go get anybody we want like some of you guys do but the more I talk to a couple of people who are def in the know the more I think Cohen is atleast going after some huge fish.

Butch and Ming are SEC head coaches......

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-10-2018, 04:22 PM
and about to get the series win against #3 Texas Tech.. I don't know why anybody would want him coaching our team***. Good grief we have some dumb fans.
http://4closurefraud.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pot-meet-kettle.jpg

If rumors are true that Cohen doesn't consider him a top choice, and he was Cohen's assistant for years, shouldn't that tell you something? Glad to see you know more than him.

Wow, that's shocking**

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-10-2018, 04:22 PM
I don't claim to be an expert so don't have a strong opinion either way. But what I've picked up is that he's not a good recruiter (hence our bad Jr and Sr classes), and is winning with Henderson's kids. Basically the theory seems to be that Henderson could recruit, but couldn't get them to play to their potential , and Mingione is the opposite.

I looked at last night's box score to check the theory out. Kentucky started: RSr at C, 3 Jrs in the outfield (2 of which being JuCos), and 4 Jrs in the rest of the infield. Only the DH (sophomore) is a high school guy that Mingione signed.

So we have 6 Henderson, 2 Mingione JuCos, and 1 Mingione HS in their batting order. The Friday ace is a Henderson guy, as is another of their weekend starters.

I haven't followed their recruiting, and really don't care enough to dive into it and every reliever they have. But it's pretty clear that he's winning with Henderson's' team- so if the complaints are about his recruiting, his success thus far doesn't do anything to counter it.

ShotgunDawg
03-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Coastal Carolina, Fresno State and plenty others disagree. Quality coaching can beat uncoached talent any day and most times does with baseball. It?s even more prevalent than basketball with the two examples above. You give a high baseball mechanics baseball coach like Gilmore a team full of average guys who are cochabke and do what they are told, and he will beat teams like ours with more talent on paper but no coaching. And I?m not talking in game coaching. I?ve said it before and I?ll say it again. The only year in recent memory our players have received quality hitting coaching was last season. Cody Brown was who I heard this from.

You’re post is logical.

I just disagree with it. Sure, there is a level of adequate coaching needed

I seen it dawg
03-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Give us a list you would like to see hired. Ur opinion is really respected around here.

I’m not going with a list. I want another Cannizzarro, of course much more mature. I want a super high level recruiter that has created MLB connections as that’s how you get players. High energy guy. There are a lot of those out there and Butch and Ming ain’t on my list.

I would assume with Cohens connections he will reach out to all kinds of people including those “who would never come here.” Benefit of all this happening this early in the season we can go after everyone and we are the only ones doing it. Add in a great freshman hitting class and lots of talent returning on pitching staff along with a new stadium it makes us very intriguing for guys. Some that would kill for the chance and some that may be thinking they’ve done all they can do at their current outstanding program.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2018, 04:35 PM

I disagree with the not about in game strategy, hitting coach, etc. You better damn well have a guy that can keep hitters mentally going and a guy that can think during a game. I don’t want to get sideways here but this take is preposterous for college baseball thinking it’s ALL recruiting. I don’t get this at all.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2018, 04:38 PM
I’m also on the if Cohen didn’t go do what he had to do to get Ming, or Butch for that matter, and he hired Cann then that tells me a ton...

MarketingBully
03-10-2018, 04:42 PM
I’m not going with a list. I want another Cannizzarro, of course much more mature. I want a super high level recruiter that has created MLB connections as that’s how you get players. High energy guy. There are a lot of those out there and Butch and Ming ain’t on my list.

I would assume with Cohens connections he will reach out to all kinds of people including those “who would never come here.” Benefit of all this happening this early in the season we can go after everyone and we are the only ones doing it. Add in a great freshman hitting class and lots of talent returning on pitching staff along with a new stadium it makes us very intriguing for guys. Some that would kill for the chance and some that may be thinking they’ve done all they can do at their current outstanding program.

Agree completely.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 04:53 PM

I said HUGE names. Not butch or mingione. The player I'm speaking of is referring to OSully and Corbin. I get the impression that if we want Corbin he would come.

The Federalist Engineer
03-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Not saying TTU is bad, but TTU just lost their ace to TJ - last week

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Not saying TTU is bad, but TTU just lost their ace to TJ - last week

We just split a pair with utah community college.

RocketDawg
03-10-2018, 06:02 PM
I said HUGE names. Not butch or mingione. The player I'm speaking of is referring to OSully and Corbin. I get the impression that if we want Corbin he would come.

Would be funny to steal Florida's coach ....

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Would be funny to steal Florida's coach ....

Payback Strick!

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Big shots told Cohen we are going to spend 55mil on the best stadium in America, they didn't mind spending 2mil a year on the best coach in America.

msbulldog
03-10-2018, 06:19 PM

I want to listen in on that phone call between Cohen and O'Sullivan!

msbulldog
03-10-2018, 06:21 PM
We just split a pair with utah community college.

That Utah CC has 31,000 students, largest university in Utah.

RocketDawg
03-10-2018, 06:33 PM

There's a lot of hate for O'Sullivan every time we play Florida. I guess that'd go away if we hired him ....

ShotgunDawg
03-10-2018, 06:37 PM
I disagree with the not about in game strategy, hitting coach, etc. You better damn well have a guy that can keep hitters mentally going and a guy that can think during a game. I don?t want to get sideways here but this take is preposterous for college baseball thinking it?s ALL recruiting. I don?t get this at all.

Of course, adequate coaching is necessary in game management, hitting, and most importantly culture. A great pitching coach is the most important position.

The difference in college baseball though is players. We need to hire a recruiter with energy.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 06:55 PM
There's a lot of hate for O'Sullivan every time we play Florida. I guess that'd go away if we hired him ....

Youbsang right it would. The guy is great!! He's a jerk but he can coach and recruit.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 06:55 PM
That Utah CC has 31,000 students, largest university in Utah.

So. They still suck.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 06:58 PM

It would prob go something like this... "hey sully u jerk, I wanna double your salary and let you come to double your fan support. You interested?

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 07:06 PM
What is Brian O’Connors salary? $600,000?

raymond21
03-10-2018, 07:07 PM
The name of the coach doesn’t seem to matter at Kentucky, they have filled a top tier team for many years under at least 4 coaches

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 07:22 PM

So Cohen and whoever his hitting coaches were couldnt teach us how to hit? And won an SEC title and almost a natty?

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 07:24 PM

Corbin would be a great hire. Only difference is I think Vandy has a little more scholly money than we do but we have better fans, facillites like its been said.

I think he'd do great here, if he can recruit elite players to Vandy to play baseball he can sure do it here. Regardless of money.

I hate OSully so it would be weird seeing him in our dugout

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 07:27 PM
So. They still suck.

They beat USC and TX A&M CC

MarketingBully
03-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Here’s who imo we have a chance at and not in any particular order:

Corbin
Sully
McDonnell
Schlossnagle

I think those are four names that were the elite names Kendall Rogers was referring to. As stated, Cohen will have his pick and our next coach will be elite.

Homedawg
03-10-2018, 08:05 PM

Stupid as hell again.

Homedawg
03-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Last paragraph is so true.

Homedawg
03-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Corbin would be a great hire. Only difference is I think Vandy has a little more scholly money than we do but we have better fans, facillites like its been said.

I think he'd do great here, if he can recruit elite players to Vandy to play baseball he can sure do it here. Regardless of money.

I hate OSully so it would be weird seeing him in our dugout

Neither one will be our coach so.. there's that.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Neither one will be our coach so.. there's that.

I would have said the exact same thing a week ago but our CF changed my mind.

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 09:44 PM
If these guys say no, what do you think about Brian O’Connor? Just curious.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 09:49 PM

Most of the "hate" that happens between the lines stays between the lines. Everyone at this level understands that everyone is trying their best to win.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 09:49 PM
If these guys say no, what do you think about Brian O’Connor? Just curious.

I think he would be the LEAST likely to come to MSU because he and Manieri don't like to coach against each other.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Here's the thing about Mingione- it would be like hiring someone that took over a plum of a situation because they did well with someone else's players. Knowing the situation I need to see at least two if not three more years of Mingione having the kind of success he is having to be convinced. I wouldn't be surprised if his team regresses next year and then levels out to about what they typically were under Henderson. I'd rather have his hitting coach than him.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 09:57 PM
If these guys say no, what do you think about Brian O?Connor? Just curious.

He's a great coach. Have no idea if he would come or not.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 09:58 PM
I?m not going with a list. I want another Cannizzarro, of course much more mature. I want a super high level recruiter that has created MLB connections as that?s how you get players. High energy guy. There are a lot of those out there and Butch and Ming ain?t on my list.

I would assume with Cohens connections he will reach out to all kinds of people including those ?who would never come here.? Benefit of all this happening this early in the season we can go after everyone and we are the only ones doing it. Add in a great freshman hitting class and lots of talent returning on pitching staff along with a new stadium it makes us very intriguing for guys. Some that would kill for the chance and some that may be thinking they?ve done all they can do at their current outstanding program.

Exactly. Cann was the right type of coach for us from a baseball standpoint. It's a proven formula for winning National Championships- which is what we want to do. We need players like Tanner Allen that can come in and play and contribute immediately that could be drafted out of high school but want to go to college. The only way to do that is with scouting connections. If the new coach can unearth talent that isn't obvious talent as well- that's a huge bonus especially in Mississippi where there are guys like Hunter Renfroe every once in awhile.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Exactly. Cann was the right type of coach for us from a baseball standpoint. It's a proven formula for winning National Championships- which is what we want to do. We need players like Tanner Allen that can come in and play and contribute immediately that could be drafted out of high school but want to go to college. The only way to do that is with scouting connections. If the new coach can unearth talent that isn't obvious talent as well- that's a huge bonus especially in Mississippi where there are guys like Hunter Renfroe every once in awhile.

That's what makes sully ao good.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 10:41 PM
That's what makes sully ao good.

And maybe as importantly- his assistants. Both of his top guys have MLB scouting ties.

I know Corbin has been criticized as being a "CEO" coach but he knows the formula as well and knows the assistants that fit the formula.

I'm not advocating for anyone in particular- Schlossnagle, McDonnell, and others know the formula as well. I would even be fine if we hired another assistant with a similar track record as Cannizaro had minus the obvious off the field issues. I think we hit a home run with this hire and get a big name though. Cohen is going to be hell bent on getting someone good to make up for Cann and from all indications from third party sources that have no vested interest in MSU some big names are interested.

AlSwearengen
03-11-2018, 12:19 AM
I would prefer o’sullivan and McDonnell over Corbin. I tend to believe that Vandy is trending down slightly with Florida taking over their spot. I wonder how hungry Corbin is. O’Sullivan is so competitive that I don’t think hunger would ever be a problem with him.

Todd4State
03-11-2018, 01:01 AM
I would prefer o’sullivan and McDonnell over Corbin. I tend to believe that Vandy is trending down slightly with Florida taking over their spot. I wonder how hungry Corbin is. O’Sullivan is so competitive that I don’t think hunger would ever be a problem with him.

I agree.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-11-2018, 02:00 AM

I think he was talking about Mainieri and Bianco**

Coach34
03-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Here’s who imo we have a chance at and not in any particular order:

Corbin
Sully
McDonnell
Schlossnagle

I think those are four names that were the elite names Kendall Rogers was referring to. As stated, Cohen will have his pick and our next coach will be elite.

You might as well throw LaRussa, Girardi, Madden, and Francona to that list

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 10:03 AM

So, who do you think we will get? Just curious.

Coach34
03-11-2018, 10:21 AM
I don't think a bigtime coach is going to move his family away from Gainesville, Dallas, Louisville, to live in Mississippi unless something is going on that he is unhappy about and he really has no choice. Most wives dont want to make that move- especially ones with HS kids.

I think we are going to get someone that is younger and has been successful- but not at a top 15 program. The State job will be a step up for them and a no-brainer to take.

Homedawg
03-11-2018, 10:26 AM
I don't think a bigtime coach is going to move his family away from Gainesville, Dallas, Louisville, to live in Mississippi unless something is going on that he is unhappy about and he really has no choice. Most wives dont want to make that move- especially ones with HS kids.

I think we are going to get someone that is younger and has been successful- but not at a top 15 program. The State job will be a step up for them and a no-brainer to take.

I think this is spot on.

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 10:28 AM

What about Brian O’Connor? He only makes $600,000 a year, and according to preacher, we will pay up to $2M. That’s over triple his salary at UVA.

Coach34
03-11-2018, 10:34 AM
What about Brian O’Connor? He only makes $600,000 a year, and according to preacher, we will pay up to $2M. That’s over triple his salary at UVA.

I think he will use us to get a raise and stay at the place he has built up. He's 46 and probably has kids in Jr high/HS. Why leave a program you have built and just won a title to move to Mississippi?

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2018, 10:35 AM
What about Brian O?Connor? He only makes $600,000 a year, and according to preacher, we will pay up to $2M. That?s over triple his salary at UVA.

I don't know.

- Lives in Charlottesville

- Has renovated & expanded stadium

- Has life time job security

- Is the furthest North East coast baseball power, which offers outstanding access to Northeast recruiting

- Can offer a more prestigious education than MSU

- Has a national brand to sell.

Why would he leave?

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Why would he leave?
Never said he would, just throwing his name out there.

confucius say
03-11-2018, 10:42 AM
I don't know.

- Lives in Charlottesville

- Has renovated & expanded stadium

- Has life time job security

- Is the furthest North East coast baseball power, which offers outstanding access to Northeast recruiting

- Can offer a more prestigious education than MSU

- Has a national brand to sell.

Why would he leave?

For double his salary

confucius say
03-11-2018, 10:42 AM
I think he will use us to get a raise and stay at the place he has built up. He's 46 and probably has kids in Jr high/HS. Why leave a program you have built and just won a title to move to Mississippi?

To double your salary

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Triple your salary? I’d take it in a heartbeat
Edit: Even if they offer a raise, they won’t offer $2M.

Saltydog
03-11-2018, 10:53 AM
NT

Coach34
03-11-2018, 10:55 AM
I don’t believe we will pay $2MM- but even if we decide to go big, it’s not going to matter to most big names

shoeless joe
03-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Some of y'all are severely under selling butch in a ton of areas. He fits the bill that a lot of y'all are wanting except having a ton of HC experience. He may not be my #1 choice but he would garner extremely serious consideration.

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 11:01 AM
I could see O’Connor here before I see Schlossnagle. He makes $1,400,000 at TCU, but I heard he has reached out to Cohen- don’t see why, unless he wants out

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Some of y'all are severely under selling butch in a ton of areas. He fits the bill that a lot of y'all are wanting except having a ton of HC experience. He may not be my #1 choice but he would garner extremely serious consideration.

I’d take Butch over Mingione, but that’s just me. Either one would be underwhelming hires IMO

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 12:52 PM
I could see O’Connor here before I see Schlossnagle. He makes $1,400,000 at TCU, but I heard he has reached out to Cohen- don’t see why, unless he wants out

Prestige!

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 12:53 PM
NT

I agree. I would not be disappointed in hiring butch. Fact is Cohen would have to try to mess this hire up to not get it right. It's simple. Throw big money at all the BIG names... if no one bites go after butch or mingione.

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 12:53 PM
I Trust in Cohen!

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 12:54 PM
There is a rumor out there (have no idea if it's valid or not,probably not) that we are going to hire a big name and make him the highest paid coach in America.

Coach34
03-11-2018, 01:01 PM
There is a rumor out there (have no idea if it's valid or not,probably not) that we are going to hire a big name and make him the highest paid coach in America.

i would be ecstatic if we do- but surprised. Corbin is buddies with Cohen- so he would be the guess if there is anything to the rumor

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Highest paid=Highest pressure!

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Highest paid=Highest pressure!

The thing is, I don't feel like our baseball fans have absurd expectations. That could change of course.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-11-2018, 01:38 PM
I would prefer o?sullivan and McDonnell over Corbin. I tend to believe that Vandy is trending down slightly with Florida taking over their spot. I wonder how hungry Corbin is. O?Sullivan is so competitive that I don?t think hunger would ever be a problem with him.

Funny you bring this up....I've had that feeling in the back of my head for a little while myself.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-11-2018, 01:47 PM
The thing is, I don't feel like our baseball fans have absurd expectations. That could change of course.

We don't but we would expect to be in Omaha almost every year and win an NC within the next few years if we were paying the highest salary in college baseball.

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 01:53 PM
No O'Sullivan 17 Him!

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 01:59 PM
No O'Sullivan 17 Him!

Stop. If he wants to come here, let him come! Dude can coach. He may be a jerk, but he’ll be our jerk.

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 02:07 PM
Stop. If he wants to come here, let him come! Dude can coach. He may be a jerk, but he’ll be our jerk.

Dang right. Saban is a jerk too but who wouldn't want him.

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Dang right. Saban is a jerk too but who wouldn't want him.

Exactly

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-11-2018, 02:34 PM
I don't see Schlossnagle coming to Starkville. He's in the Metroplex (7+ Million within an hour of campus), at a private school that can offer full rides to every player on the roster each year and he plays in the Big 12 (which is a very good baseball conference) but IS NOT as tough as the SEC. Getting to Omaha 4 years in a row is doable at TCU (given all the tools he has to work with) but it IS NOT at MSU. I think Schlossnagle stays where it's easier to win his 1st NC.

Sullivan has more scholarship money that we do, is in a great recruiting area and I think UF is about to put more money into their stadium. Given he and Cohen's relationship (even if it was just on the field) I don't see him coming.

Corbin (see Schlossnagle and scholarships and Vandy's facilities are pretty good) For that matter, most everybody's facilities are pretty good in the SEC say minus MO's.

If we do make our next coach the highest paid coach in college baseball, McDonnell might be the one that would come given he knows the SEC and what it takes to win here, given Louisville's current AD situation and given he might be looking for another challenge with another program. Not sure how old Dan's kids are but they're probably out of high school by now. I say the AD situation as a reason he'd leave UL but as long as Dan wins at Louisville he's got nothing to worry about with whomever the new AD is and from all indications he'll probably always win there.

Who knows who we get but it's exciting to speculate/talk about for sure.

As some have mentioned, maybe we get a top assistant coach at one of these schools.....a guy that is familiar with and has used the formula, that has MLB experience and ties to MLB scouting but has his personal life in order.

Maybe a guy that is young and gung ho but is not over the top like Cann was.

I'm still blown away at how Cann pissed away one of the BEST opportunities in college baseball.....the guy really could have had it all.

maroonmania
03-11-2018, 03:15 PM

How can you have absurd expectations when the team rarely delivers? LSU fans have absurd expectations. That tends to happen when you have NC after NC.

maroonmania
03-11-2018, 03:18 PM

Nah, if we were going that route we would just Buck Showalter and bring one of our own back home!

maroonmania
03-11-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm still blown away at how Cann pissed away one of the BEST opportunities in college baseball.....the guy really could have had it all.

Strange case indeed. We all know that there are all manner of college HCs out there having affairs. Probably a number of them with multiple women. It is just almost unheard of though for one to be so preoccupied with his side piece that he can no longer function at his job. But then again, we are MState.

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2018, 05:32 PM
We aren't getting Sully... makes 1.25 and will have a 3.5mil buyout after this season.

beretta
03-11-2018, 06:36 PM
I like McDonnell.....would be my pick....interesting....he is off the Bianco coaching tree.....he and Bianco are good buddies....Bianco told his son he needed to get out of Oxford and didn't want to coach him in college....sent him to McDonnell specifically (Ben B told me this to my face)....makes me wonder if he would come back to Ms and coach and recruit against him......i know butch went to Au and is in the division, but the thought of inside the state lines makes me wonder...

Todd4State
03-11-2018, 07:26 PM
We aren't getting Sully... makes 1.25 and will have a 3.5mil buyout after this season.

I thought his buyout was 500K? It may have changed after the CWS.

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 08:34 PM
I don't see Schlossnagle coming to Starkville. He's in the Metroplex (7+ Million within an hour of campus), at a private school that can offer full rides to every player on the roster each year and he plays in the Big 12 (which is a very good baseball conference) but IS NOT as tough as the SEC. Getting to Omaha 4 years in a row is doable at TCU (given all the tools he has to work with) but it IS NOT at MSU. I think Schlossnagle stays where it's easier to win his 1st NC.

Sullivan has more scholarship money that we do, is in a great recruiting area and I think UF is about to put more money into their stadium. Given he and Cohen's relationship (even if it was just on the field) I don't see him coming.

Corbin (see Schlossnagle and scholarships and Vandy's facilities are pretty good) For that matter, most everybody's facilities are pretty good in the SEC say minus MO's.

If we do make our next coach the highest paid coach in college baseball, McDonnell might be the one that would come given he knows the SEC and what it takes to win here, given Louisville's current AD situation and given he might be looking for another challenge with another program. Not sure how old Dan's kids are but they're probably out of high school by now. I say the AD situation as a reason he'd leave UL but as long as Dan wins at Louisville he's got nothing to worry about with whomever the new AD is and from all indications he'll probably always win there.

Who knows who we get but it's exciting to speculate/talk about for sure.

As some have mentioned, maybe we get a top assistant coach at one of these schools.....a guy that is familiar with and has used the formula, that has MLB experience and ties to MLB scouting but has his personal life in order.

Maybe a guy that is young and gung ho but is not over the top like Cann was.

I wouldn't expect a current assistant.. he has said he's looking for HC experience.
I agree, I don't think we have any shot at shlossnagle.
I think Corbin is very much a possibility
I don't think sully comes but he will be given a call. He would be my number 2 choice
My number 1 choice would be McDonnell.. he's an outstanding coach and I know it would be a shot in the eye to OM. They honestly believe he is their next coach. I had a rebel fan tell me this very thing just last night. I don't know if he would leave Louisville but I'd make him tell me no.

My calls would be
1-McDonnell
2-Sully
3-Fox
4-Corbin
5-Ming
6-Butch

(Schlosnagle is the best coach in America but I don't see him leaving tcu for anywhere. So I'm not wasting a call)

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 08:42 PM

Have no idea where that number you have came from. It's not even close. $750k if he leaves before June 30th 2018...500k if after.

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Have no idea where that number you have came from. It's not even close. $750k if he leaves before June 30th 2018...500k if after.

The school would owe him 500k for every year remaining on his contract if they fired him. That would prob be around 3.5 mil. Perhaps that's where u got the number.

Homedawg
03-11-2018, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't expect a current assistant.. he has said he's looking for HC experience.
I agree, I don't think we have any shot at shlossnagle.
I think Corbin is very much a possibility
I don't think sully comes but he will be given a call. He would be my number 2 choice
My number 1 choice would be McDonnell.. he's an outstanding coach and I know it would be a shot in the eye to OM. They honestly believe he is their next coach. I had a rebel fan tell me this very thing just last night. I don't know if he would leave Louisville but I'd make him tell me no.

My calls would be
1-McDonnell
2-Sully
3-Fox
4-Corbin
5-Ming
6-Butch

(Schlosnagle is the best coach in America but I don't see him leaving tcu for anywhere. So I'm not wasting a call)

We aren't getting 1 or 2..3 is 60 years old and in a great place. Aren't getting 4. So ming and butch are your list?

preachermatt83
03-11-2018, 09:56 PM
We aren't getting 1 or 2..3 is 60 years old and in a great place. Aren't getting 4. So ming and butch are your list?

That would be my calls.. in order. Corbin would come if we want him.

Coach34
03-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Corbin would come if we want him.

Then why did he turn us down that led us to hire Cann? He told Cohen no just 15 months ago. Why would he change his mind now? We 100% offered him the job before Cann

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2018, 11:25 PM
The school would owe him 500k for every year remaining on his contract if they fired him. That would prob be around 3.5 mil. Perhaps that's where u got the number.

Yep..misread it.. and thought to double check after posting it and didn't...that's the buyout amount to fire him...

ScoobaDawg
03-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Then why did he turn us down that led us to hire Cann? He told Cohen no just 15 months ago. Why would he change his mind now? We 100% offered him the job before Cann

I have no knowledge, but just thing that was a VERY difficult time to try and pry away a sitting HC during fall ball. If he is really one of the top targets... we have 4 months to go after him instead of around a week.

preachermatt83
03-12-2018, 01:09 AM
I have no knowledge, but just thing that was a VERY difficult time to try and pry away a sitting HC during fall ball. If he is really one of the top targets... we have 4 months to go after him instead of around a week.

Exactly!! Timing. I'm not saying Corbin ends up with the job but comparing now to last time is apples to oranges.