PDA

View Full Version : Sec issues statement after heavy criticism for not stopping play

Coach007
03-09-2018, 11:36 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/sec-issues-official-statement-officials-nick-weatherspoon-mississippi-state/amp

The referees for the Tennessee and Mississippi State game have been heavily criticized after play was not stopped during the game when Nick Weatherspoon was done with an injury.

Here is the statement

The play on which Nick Weatherspoon was injured unfolded in a rapid sequence of events that led to the continuation of play after Nick initially fell under the Mississippi State basket,? said Mark Whitehead, SEC Coordinator of Officials. ?The officials did not recognize Nick was injured until after the transition that led to the completion of the play where, unfortunately, he remained on the floor.?

They did not recognize he was injured.... that's not an excuse. 2 refs saw him when the ball was stolen.

Liverpooldawg
03-09-2018, 11:39 PM
As expected, the SEC will always cover for incompetent refs.

Coach007
03-09-2018, 11:44 PM
As expected, the SEC will always cover for incompetent refs.

I know it was a short time..... but they can't say they didn't see him go down. That is a simple lie. Next when you the ball changes possesion, there is 2 officials at half court. They turn. Neither saw him?

If that's the case, rules need to change or a 4th ref added and stays back. Player safety has to come first.

confucius say
03-10-2018, 12:08 AM
Bull. Sh*t.

Know how I know? The head ref came over and told jimmy dykes that they let play keep going bc pace of game had not stopped. Dykes said on the broadcast that is what they came over and told him.

Now, notice the use of the word injured as opposed to down. They will couch it as, even if they knew he was down, they did not know he was injured.

parabrave
03-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Bull. Sh*t.

Know how I know? The head ref came over and told jimmy dykes that they let play keep going bc pace of game had not stopped. Dykes said on the broadcast that is what they came over and told him.

Now, notice the use of the word injured as opposed to down. They will couch it as, even if they knew he was down, they did not know he was injured.

R Williams said that while they were getting the stretcher ready the ref told coach that he let play continue cause of the scoring opportunity. My ? is if we saw tha nick was down why didn't we say anything.

Bodaski
03-10-2018, 12:56 AM
R Williams said that while they were getting the stretcher ready the ref told coach that he let play continue cause of the scoring opportunity. My ? is if we saw tha nick was down why didn't we say anything.

Yea right. Tenn had the advantage to score. they had 5 players and we had 4. You know the damn refs saw that.

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 01:00 AM
Can't fault the refs when Nick's own teammates and coach haven't stopped themselves or made the refs stop the play yet either

RougeDawg
03-10-2018, 03:42 AM
[QUOTE=Coach007;901915]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/sec-issues-official-statement-officials-nick-weatherspoon-mississippi-state/amp

[QUOTE=Coach007;901915]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/sec-issues-official-statement-officials-nick-weatherspoon-mississippi-state/amp

Are you surprised? Most of these referees can?t recognize common fouls when they occur 6 feet away from them. The simple fact that this entire conference group of circus clown referees still have a job is an abomination of professionalism. This clown show has gone on all season. Their putrid indecisiveness, lack of judgement, and horrendous scalls all season have led to unintended consequences. It?s just a shame this had to happen.

To my point in another thread. Do we not have people to pull him away from the court? Is that against the rules? If so, let?s chsnge that rule to allow team personnel the ability to get a guy out of harms way in similar instances as tonight.

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 03:49 AM
To my point in another thread. Do we not have people to pull him away from the court? Is that against the rules? If so, let?s chsnge that rule to allow team personnel the ability to get a guy out of harms way in similar instances as tonight.

You don't move someone that has suffered a neck or head injury

msbulldog
03-10-2018, 04:47 AM
It is the ref's responsibility to stop play in that circumstance and they blew it, they should be fired.

Dawgface
03-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Can't fault the refs when Nick's own teammates and coach haven't stopped themselves or made the refs stop the play yet either

True.

confucius say
03-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Teammates could not see him. They were running the other way.

They also could not stop playing without the refs stppping the game.

Apparently the rule is if pace of play dictates that either team has a clear scoring opportunity the game is not stopped.

ILOATHEBears
03-10-2018, 07:53 AM

He didn?t first go down with a neck injury so yes he could have been moved however all this happened within 14 seconds so not much reaction time to do anything. It?s a freak accident and just pray he recovers fully

Coach007
03-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Teammates could not see him. They were running the other way.

They also could not stop playing without the refs stppping the game.

Apparently the rule is if pace of play dictates that either team has a clear scoring opportunity the game is not stopped.

Whatbit changed possesion back to us, at that point.... it should have stopped. 2 refs could see.

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Exactly

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 10:02 AM
He didn?t first go down with a neck injury so yes he could have been moved however all this happened within 14 seconds so not much reaction time to do anything. It?s a freak accident and just pray he recovers fully

He had already hit his head on the floor before he got stepped on. You wouldn’t move him.

RougeDawg
03-10-2018, 10:33 AM

He wasn?t badly hurt initially. Concussion at worst. Guess you?ve never seen any football players walk off the field after concussions.

Holy shit does anyone stop and think a minute before posting anything or has social media and the keyboard cowboy mentality completely removed logic from the majority of the inhabitants on this earth.

RougeDawg
03-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Exactly

You two simply raise the bar daily. Next you?ll be claiming the nfl needs a gurney for every concussion. SMH.

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 11:36 AM
You two simply raise the bar daily. Next you?ll be claiming the nfl needs a gurney for every concussion. SMH.

You don't move head injuries if they are down till they have been assessed. That is elementary. That doesn't mean they can't be moved very soon or even walk off, but you just don't go out and drag them to the bench and then try to figure out what happened.

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
He wasn?t badly hurt initially. Concussion at worst. Guess you?ve never seen any football players walk off the field after concussions.

Holy shit does anyone stop and think a minute before posting anything or has social media and the keyboard cowboy mentality completely removed logic from the majority of the inhabitants on this earth.

When an NFL player is walked off a field after it appears they've suffered a concussion it takes a couple minutes and they are supported by several doctors as they walk or when something like what happened with Nick last night happens they don't move them at all because they fear it's a neck injury (which they reported immediately) and it takes 5-10 minutes before they are taken off the field. So you are wrong.

redstickdawg
03-10-2018, 12:01 PM
When an NFL player is walked off a field after it appears they've suffered a concussion it takes a couple minutes and they are supported by several doctors as they walk or when something like what happened with Nick last night happens they don't move them at all because they fear it's a neck injury (which they reported immediately) and it takes 5-10 minutes before they are taken off the field. So you are wrong.

Guys are moved off the field after they have been evaluated and then it has been determined that it is safe to do so. Nick has a broken pelvis, he damn well couldn't move or move without significant assistance. He had also hit is head on the initial fall the refs and no one f'ed this up about as bad as could have been f'ed up. Incompetence on display and a total lack of concern for player safety.

The only way for the SEC and others to get better officials in every sport is to start openly evaluating them and then culling the poor performers, like the group last night and multiple others this year. The players and coaches get instant feedback and accountability, the officials have absolutely none. In the real world very few workers can screw up like a NCAA ref and have their boss come to their rescue time and time again. sooner or later it have to get fixed - likely if UK gets screwed in BB or Bama gets called for holding twice in a game.

Wade Garrett
03-10-2018, 12:09 PM
May have a pelvic fracture. I would say that’s injured pretty bad

MarketingBully
03-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Blaming this on our coaches or players is asinine. What is Howland supposed to do? If he goes out on the court it?s an automatic T. He couldn?t call timeout due to how Peters got the ball and quickly flipped it to Q for the layup. This is all totally on the officiating crew who could stop play with no penalty to either team and should have stopped play.

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Blaming this on our coaches or players is asinine.

I'm not blaming it on anyone cause there's no blame to be put on anyone. It was just a freak accident that happened during the nature of play.

MarketingBully
03-10-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm not blaming it on anyone cause there's no blame to be put on anyone. It was just a freak accident that happened during the nature of play.

You just said it in your post! You were saying it’s just as much our coaches and players fault as it is the refs and that is the dumbest most asinine take I have seen on Elitedawgs ever.

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 01:19 PM
You just said it in your post! You were saying it’s just as much our coaches and players fault as it is the refs and that is the dumbest most asinine take I have seen on Elitedawgs ever.

I didn't say it was the ref's fault or our players or our coaches fault. Learn to comprehend better. Again it is nobody's fault. Quit looking to place blame on a freak accident.

DogsofAnarchy
03-10-2018, 02:31 PM
This is ABSOLUTELY an issue for the refs. Or the absolute dereliction of duty of being an official.

maroonmania
03-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Nice statement, problem is its a flat out LIE. As usual in the SEC, no accountability when it comes to officiating. Wouldn't be surprised to see them back out calling a game today.

Coach007
03-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Its not a freak accident. A freak accident is when you are walking and no reason just flip an ankle.

By not removing him from that spot raised the potential for injury.

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Its not a freak accident. A freak accident is when you are walking and no reason just flip an ankle.

By not removing him from that spot raised the potential for injury.

Ten seconds transpired in between Nick going to the ground and the two players landing on him. The sequence of events happened too quickly for the refs to make the call to stop the game. Had there been a couple moments of slow play or pause than perhaps they are able to stop the game to address the player still laying on the court but that didn't happen in those ten seconds.

FanninDawg
03-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Ten seconds transpired in between Nick going to the ground and the two players landing on him. The sequence of events happened too quickly for the refs to make the call to stop the game. Had there been a couple moments of slow play or pause than perhaps they are able to stop the game to address the player still laying on the court but that didn't happen in those ten seconds.

I was there. It was obvious. Only the players couldn?t see it. The refs should have stopped the game on our steal and stood over Nick to protect him. End of story.

AlmostPositive
03-10-2018, 10:30 PM
It's obvious play should have been stopped. Not stopping caused a player to be seriously hurt. What else is there to discuss?

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 11:23 PM

When you have a helpless player lying in the field of play/court you stop play. You damn sure stop it when his team gets the ball. Those refs are lucky there wasn't something catastrophic that resulted from their incompetence. No surprise that you think they did nothing wrong and are vehemently defending them. It confirms what I think of your judgment in most topics.

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 11:29 PM

10 seconds is too quick? If it is they have no business wearing the stripes. They are expected to make snap judgements much quicker than that as a matter of routine by definition. The argument you are making here excuses us all from ever considering you to be a intelligent poster again. Confirms everything I have ever thought about you. If a ref can't make a decision in ONE second he is by definition incompetent.

AlmostPositive
03-10-2018, 11:34 PM
confirms what I think of your judgment in most topics.

Wait... you're saying 61 has judgment?!

Dawg61
03-10-2018, 11:43 PM
When you have a helpless player lying in the field of play/court you stop play. You damn sure stop it when his team gets the ball. Those refs are lucky there wasn't something catastrophic that resulted from their incompetence. No surprise that you think they did nothing wrong and are vehemently defending them. It confirms what I think of your judgment in most topics.

10 seconds is too quick? If it is they have no business wearing the stripes. They are expected to make snap judgements much quicker than that as a matter of routine by definition. The argument you are making here excuses us all from ever considering you to be a intelligent poster again. Confirms everything I have ever thought about you. If a ref can't make a decision in ONE second he is by definition incompetent.

Calm down Liverpool. You are asking the refs to make an unprecedented judgement call that goes specifically against what they have been instructed to do. Lobby for a rule change fine but blaming the refs for not doing something they have never been expected to do before is ridiculous. It's not like Nick was laying at the free throw line. He was laying out of bounds.

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 11:52 PM
Wait... you're saying 61 has judgment?!

Obviously I posted before I thought.

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Calm down Liverpool. You are asking the refs to make an unprecedented judgement call that goes specifically against what they have been instructed to do. Lobby for a rule change fine but blaming the refs for not doing something they have never been expected to do before is ridiculous. It's not like Nick was laying at the free throw line. He was laying out of bounds.
Unprecedented? Hogwash. Officials in every sport are required to place player safety first. Nick was NOT out of bounds. That confirmed that you are just mouthing off about something you have no real knowledge about. He was partially inbounds directly under the goal. It was a virtually certainty he would be stepped on if play came back to that goal. That you are taking this side in this arguement is SO you. I don't understand why and never will.

Dawg61
03-11-2018, 12:04 AM
Unprecedented? Hogwash. Officials in every sport are required to place player safety first. Nick was NOT out of bounds. That confirmed that you are just mouthing off about something you have no real knowledge about. He was partially inbounds directly under the goal. It was a virtually certainty he would be stepped on if play came back to that goal. That you are taking this side in this arguement is SO you. I don't understand why and never will.

I'm not a fan of you having your pitchforks out trying to create more drama out of an unfortunate play. It's over man let it rest. Nobody on the planet wanted Nick to get hurt including the refs.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2018, 12:14 AM

Yep, great post.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2018, 12:21 AM
I'm not a fan of you having your pitchforks out trying to create more drama out of an unfortunate play. It's over man let it rest. Nobody on the planet wanted Nick to get hurt including the refs.

You are defending their actions that resulted in it potentially being worse than it had to be. The only reason is that I took the side I did. Had I took the side you are taking you would have taken the side almost everybody but you and 34 are. Heck man even the UT fan sites are on our side. By our side I mean the MSU side. Your side is yours, 34's, the ref's, and the SEC office's. It confirms everything I have ever thought about you. Excellent post 61!

Dawg61
03-11-2018, 12:29 AM
You are defending their actions that resulted in it potentially being worse than it had to be. The only reason is that I took the side I did. Had I took the side you are taking you would have taken the side almost everybody but you and 34 are. Heck man even the UT fan sites are on our side. By our side I mean the MSU side. Your side is yours, 34's, the ref's, and the SEC office's. It confirms everything I have ever thought about you. Excellent post 61!

Do you buy the Paranoia whiskey every weekend? I've had more disagreements with C34 than any other poster on this board. Don't believe me just ask him yourself.

Liverpooldawg
03-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Do you buy the Paranoia whiskey every weekend? I've had more disagreements with C34 than any other poster on this board. Don't believe me just ask him yourself.

Whatever 61. I'm defending our player. I'm taking the side even the UT fan site did with a scathing article. You are taking the opposite side. That side is yours, 34's, the ref's and the one of the SEC office. Those are literally the only ones that have. Bless your heart.

ckDOG
03-11-2018, 12:40 AM
Bull. Sh*t.

This is the part that fires me up. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and they just missed it due to pace of play. Mistakes happen. But if they acknowledge they saw it, now it?s a matter of 1) did they comply with the rules and how they are trained or 2) did they just screw up?

Either way, the SEC is lying and that?s unacceptable. Own up to it and be direct. That?s very disrespectful of Weatherspoon.

Dawg61
03-11-2018, 12:53 AM
Whatever 61. I'm defending our player. I'm taking the side even the UT fan site did with a scathing article. You are taking the opposite side. That side is yours, 34's, the ref's and the one of the SEC office. Those are literally the only ones that have. Bless your heart.

And look whose taken the bait from the UT fan site. Rick Barnes said something about Nick right away in the press conference clipping I saw after he had time to learn that MSU fans were ripping him a new asshole for not doing so immediately following the game. UT fan sites caught on to MSU fans with their pitchforks out. Just cause a UT fan site wrote a "scathing" article doesn't mean jack shit. It should tell you something that our coach agreed with the SEC office in this. He's not looking to place blame on anyone because there's none to be placed. Again it was just an unfortunate play. That's all it was. Drop this shit already. There's nothing to be accomplished here other than you just digging in deeper on your stance.

Goldendawg
03-11-2018, 01:02 AM
Nice statement, problem is its a flat out LIE. As usual in the SEC, no accountability when it comes to officiating. Wouldn't be surprised to see them back out calling a game today.

The SEC has had crummy and even dishonest officials ( see Dick Pace Egg Bowl call - I was there.) for 50 plus years. They have also regularly protected the "big guys" at the expense of programs like us "that should remember our place". I am convinced that if we compete or win the West in 2018 in FB, we will have to beat the opposing teams and in many cases the refs. Hail State!

mstatefan91
03-11-2018, 02:17 AM
Stupid

Absolutely idiotic

mstatefan91
03-11-2018, 02:22 AM
And look whose taken the bait from the UT fan site. Rick Barnes said something about Nick right away in the press conference clipping I saw after he had time to learn that MSU fans were ripping him a new asshole for not doing so immediately following the game. UT fan sites caught on to MSU fans with their pitchforks out. Just cause a UT fan site wrote a "scathing" article doesn't mean jack shit. It should tell you something that our coach agreed with the SEC office in this. He's not looking to place blame on anyone because there's none to be placed. Again it was just an unfortunate play. That's all it was. Drop this shit already. There's nothing to be accomplished here other than you just digging in deeper on your stance.

Thank goodness you aren’t in charge of player safety. They’d still be running around in leather caps in football.

If you think nothing can be learned from what happened to Nick and that nothing can change then you are in absolute denial or not intelligent. The officials absolutely shit the bucket on those two possessions as regards player safety. Don’t give them a pass.

Dawg61
03-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Thank goodness you aren’t in charge of player safety. They’d still be running around in leather caps in football.

There'd be less concussions if football went back to leather caps. Personally I'd implement a water hybrid cap or a soft puddy type one. As far as the play for Nick after seeing it several times now I think they should of stopped play immediately when we stole the ball and not even allowed the players to come back under our basket where he was lying.

BulldogBear
03-11-2018, 08:14 AM
This is the part that fires me up. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and they just missed it due to pace of play. Mistakes happen. But if they acknowledge they saw it, now it?s a matter of 1) did they comply with the rules and how they are trained or 2) did they just screw up?

Either way, the SEC is lying and that?s unacceptable. Own up to it and be direct. That?s very disrespectful of Weatherspoon.

This is where I am, ESPECIALLY now that I've seen the video. I didn't see it at the time because I only turned the game on a few minutes after this happened.