PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on who will start at QB for us today.

MetEdDawg
10-05-2013, 03:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9774951/mississippi-state-wait-warm-ups-name-starting-qb-vs-lsu-tigers

Says Mullen is waiting until warmups to determine who will start. I'm sure he's already got a starter in mind, but I've got a feeling we will see a heavy dose of both. We will probably lose this game at the expense of figuring out who the hell is going to be our starter the rest of the year and I have a sneaking suspicion that this will roll into the Bowling Green game and the off week before Kentucky.

Coach34
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Mullen is keeping Lester guessing. He's known who he was going to start since last week.

Political Hack
10-05-2013, 03:26 PM
TR should start today.

Dak should start against BG and UK.

MetEdDawg
10-05-2013, 03:31 PM
I think Mullen is going to shove 2 QB system down our throats the rest of the year and we will just have to live with it barring an injury to someone.

Coach34
10-05-2013, 03:34 PM
I think Mullen is going to shove 2 QB system down our throats the rest of the year and we will just have to live with it barring an injury to someone.

That's not a bad thing if done correctly due to their different skill sets. But he really needs to do something with Russell that is different and really makes the defense have to change the way it plays

MarketingBully01
10-05-2013, 03:38 PM
We had an off week to prepare and plan for using two QBs. I think we will be fine and have a very good chance at the upset here. I don't know if I would necessarily have your overly negative attitude about this.

Political Hack
10-05-2013, 03:38 PM
agreed. I think we can be at our best with both.

MetEdDawg
10-05-2013, 03:40 PM
We don't necessarily have to throw it downfield with Dak in because him being a running option adds a component that can still give us an advantage. But if we put Russell in and never make the defense respect the deep throw, they can get close to the line of scrimmage and shut the run game down and blitz all day, which we all know Tyler struggles in picking up. Until we try and take the lid off the defense when Russell is in, I think we will struggle to sustain drives.

Like you said, we have to change the gameplan with Russell in. He's got the arm to throw it downfield and we have the size outside to let some of our WRs go get it. Need to do that to try and open up the run game because we haven't been able to run it effectively with Russell in the game.

DownwardDawg
10-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I would love to see a 2 QB system if we do it properly!!!

Coach34
10-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I agree with one thing MetEd- just once, just once- I'd like to see Tyler have throw it deep just to see how far he can throw it. We never try to take the top off with him

MetEdDawg
10-05-2013, 03:53 PM
LSU is weak in the secondary and I think we might can get a big play out of something deep down field. That's one very noticeable difference I see between us and the elite teams in the SEC when they play other SEC teams. They don't always have to have a methodical drive to score a TD or get in the red zone. They can hit that big play down field where the WR beats his CB and safety or the WR goes up and hauls in a deep throw. We rarely do that and when we do, we can't connect on it. I think that next step offensively for us is in that area. Have to have the ability to blow the lid off the defense so they can't creep in and sell out in the run game.

I seen it dawg
10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
We will run the 2 QB system like we do our backs. ****ed up. We use LP between the tackles and bring JRob, griff and Shump in for third down work. Like hitting a LH at DH vs a lefty in game 1 of a doubleheader and a RH hitter vs the righty in game 2. Stupid.

Coach34
10-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Like hitting a LH at DH vs a lefty in game 1 of a doubleheader and a RH hitter vs the righty in game 2. Stupid.

it's 1990 all over again

MarketingBully01
10-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Dak was spotted at Dog walk so he is not in Louisiana to dispel that other rumor...

gravedigger
10-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I think it's opposite. Dak needs to throw long after running a few plays to catch them playing up.

Tyler needs to run short timing plays to the sidelines and to tight tends to catch them playing back.

MarketingBully01
10-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I agree with this. I think Dan has a few tricks up his sleeve. Hopefully he calls the game of his life tonight.