PDA

View Full Version : quote from a new coach on our football staff

Coach34
03-09-2018, 02:30 PM
"I can't believe how much defensive talent is on this football team."

West Houston Dog
03-09-2018, 02:34 PM
We'll see how we do on the field. I hated losing Grantham. Am interested to see how the new OL coach does(in fielding an OL) vs Hevesy.

I am really interested to see if they will be more or less successful recruiting than Mullen+staff

starkvegasdawg
03-09-2018, 02:36 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/44179659.jpg

msstate7
03-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Are we practicing yet?

Bulldog1
03-09-2018, 02:40 PM
We start practice March 20

fader2103
03-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Was this an offensive or defensive coach?

gtowndawg
03-09-2018, 03:25 PM

It never fails. I cringe and laugh every time I see that.

Coach34
03-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Was this an offensive or defensive coach?

D

Coach34
03-09-2018, 03:40 PM
We'll see how we do on the field. I hated losing Grantham. Am interested to see how the new OL coach does(in fielding an OL) vs Hevesy.

I am really interested to see if they will be more or less successful recruiting than Mullen+staff

I think our new staff will do well. You cant really mess this up. We are one of the top 6-7 most talented defenses in the country.

Todd4State
03-09-2018, 03:40 PM
It's probably our most deep group since 1999. I could see 10+ guys playing in the NFL after they leave MSU. Getting Sweat back was huge.

Can't wait to hear similar comments on the offensive side of the ball now that the country club is gone.

Dildoes
03-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Our front 7 is just nasty. We may not have the absurd depth Alabama has enjoyed over the years, but I’d put our starters in the same league as some of their best.

Prediction? Pain.
03-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Shoop said something similar in a press conference (https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Shoop-Were-Going-to-Be-In-Your-Face-115680370) a week or so ago, though he was talking specifically about the D line:

"I'm a pretty lucky guy . . . . There's a bunch of guys up front where we can run eight, nine or 10 guys up front," Shoop said. "We have as much depth up front as any place I have ever been, and I don't feel like there is a significant drop-off between those guys."

I haven't looked back at the talent he had at Penn State or (at least on paper, outside of Barnett) at UT. But I'd be shocked if he's ever had as many quality defensive linemen as we've got on the roster this year.

TrapGame
03-09-2018, 04:34 PM

http://replygif.net/i/132.gif

TrapGame
03-09-2018, 04:38 PM
This defense is going to eat some offenses for lunch. LSU's throwback 1990 I-formation offense being chief among them. The fans will be loudly booing the offense by late second quarter.

Mutt the Hoople
03-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Ron Cooper and John Blake were talking about all the defensive talent they had.....just sayin'.

Coach34
03-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Last time I heard this much optimism was 1999

Dallas_Dawg
03-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Last time I heard this much optimism was 1999

I feel like the 2018 defense has more top end talent than 99, but we were solid across the board and better at DB under Joe Lee.
Simmons and Sweat can each take over a game, and I think both of these guys are 1st round talents. I Smoot went 2nd or 3rd round and all of the others were mid to late round picks that mostly didn?t have impactful NFL pro careers (Smoot, Mario Haggan, maybe one more are exceptions)
Our 2018 offense will no doubt be a lot better than 1999s especially at QB.
All of those things add up to 10-2, 11-1.
<insert wooly sheep pic>

BuckyIsAB****
03-09-2018, 06:02 PM
A lot riding on Bob Shoop like I've said 100 times. He better not screw this up, we have a shot at ATL

Todd4State
03-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Ron Cooper and John Blake were talking about all the defensive talent they had.....just sayin'.

Apples and oranges. We were under investigation and coming off of a 3-8 season with a fairly long SEC winless streak going into 2003. And many people felt like it would be Jackie's last year unless he pulled another miracle out of his ass like 1996.

Todd4State
03-09-2018, 06:27 PM
I feel like the 2018 defense has more top end talent than 99, but we were solid across the board and better at DB under Joe Lee.
Simmons and Sweat can each take over a game, and I think both of these guys are 1st round talents. I Smoot went 2nd or 3rd round and all of the others were mid to late round picks that mostly didn?t have impactful NFL pro careers (Smoot, Mario Haggan, maybe one more are exceptions)
Our 2018 offense will no doubt be a lot better than 1999s especially at QB.
All of those things add up to 10-2, 11-1.
<insert wooly sheep pic>

The 1999 team should have gone undefeated- we were screwed big time at Alabama and at Arkansas. The SEC WAS NOT going to let us win the SEC West again or the SEC for that matter.

I have a bad feeling that the SEC isn't going to let us win at Alabama again this year.

gravedigger
03-09-2018, 06:30 PM
I think our new staff will do well. You cant really mess this up. We are one of the top 6-7 most talented defenses in the country.

I hear what you are saying, but were we to have poor chemistry btw players and coaches or problems we would not have a good season.

Personally I believe the opposite. That is to say I think Joe will get more out of this group than Mullen ever would have.

Todd4State
03-09-2018, 06:35 PM
I hear what you are saying, but were we to have poor chemistry btw players and coaches or problems we would not have a good season.

Personally I believe the opposite. That is to say I think Joe will get more out of this group than Mullen ever would have.

I agree. Dan was way too insecure to make changes and also too rigid about certain things to maximize our potential.

msbulldog
03-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Dammit Vegas, ruined any sex for me tonight.

msbulldog
03-09-2018, 06:45 PM
D

We only have 2 new defensive coaches LB and DC.

msbulldog
03-09-2018, 07:00 PM
A lot riding on Bob Shoop like I've said 100 times. He better not screw this up, we have a shot at ATL

Bucky, my man YOU couldn't even screw this up! All you got to do is line 'em up and turn 'em loose!

Pit Bull
03-10-2018, 12:49 AM

A shot......but Hawaii QB #1 looks pretty darn good for the Bummers. Hawaii QB #2 is not bad either, but I'm sure he will do his best to ruin our season again like last year.

Bully13
03-10-2018, 01:11 AM

is this ass opposite of "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" ? or are there parallels ? anybody here been round enough to remember that line that eventually pissed most folk off? that would be pre-ED days on other boards that I'm too senile to remember.

bostondawg
03-10-2018, 01:55 AM
Where would we have to finish in total defense rankings for you guys to think Shoop did a good job? My guess (nationally):
<10 good
10-25 acceptable
Over 25 bad

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 02:10 AM
Where would we have to finish in total defense rankings for you guys to think Shoop did a good job? My guess (nationally):
<10 good
10-25 acceptable
Over 25 bad

If he finishes out of the top 50 he should be fired.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 08:18 AM
<10 good
10-25 acceptable
Over 25 bad

I wouldn't base it on just total defense. I would look at points allowed per game, sacks, tackles for loss, and turnovers created too.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2018, 02:40 PM
This staff is light years better than the one that just left. Hopefully their isn’t a raging whore running around the offices we don’t know about...

raymond21
03-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Where does Rivers fit into the equation

I seen it dawg
03-10-2018, 02:58 PM

Running around killing people. Hard to not see him starting

AlSwearengen
03-10-2018, 03:47 PM
This staff is light years better than the one that just left. Hopefully their isn’t a raging whore running around the offices we don’t know about...

Yeah. We need to bar any semi attractive women from working in or hanging around the athletic dept.

Also, I would love to have heard the line of questioning that Megan gave Danny after all of the news about the road whore went public.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 03:55 PM

Agreed. He's the one hire I questioned a lot and worry about.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 03:57 PM
If he finishes out of the top 50 he should be fired.

Agree. Man you have turned into one of the best posters on here lately. Keep it up!!

MedDawg
03-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Bucky, my man YOU couldn't even screw this up! All you got to do is line 'em up and turn 'em loose!

That worked out pretty well for our defense in the bowl game vs Louisville and their Heisman QB.

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 04:25 PM

Was told by a former DL and a current one that I played with that he is the best DL we have outside of Simmons

BuckyIsAB****
03-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Agreed. He's the one hire I questioned a lot and worry about.

Im worried too tbh. Im at 50/50 with him. Giving up 400 rushing yards is about more than injuries

chef dixon
03-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Simmons is the best player in college football in 2018

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 06:59 PM
It would be hard for Peter Sirmon to mess this defense up.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Oh but he could do it.

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Oh but he could do it.
Yea, he’d find a way lol

bulldawg28
03-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Im worried too tbh. Im at 50/50 with him. Giving up 400 rushing yards is about more than injuries

Are you referring to the GT game?

bulldawg28
03-10-2018, 07:27 PM

He would do it by being passive. Turning an aggressive player into react mode kills his play every time.

CadaverDawg
03-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Shoop makes me nervous. I didn’t like the hire, but I’m willing to give him a chance to prove me wrong. He has a lot of pressure though, because he must have a big first year and has no excuse not to.

msstate7
03-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Shoop makes me nervous. I didn’t like the hire, but I’m willing to give him a chance to prove me wrong. He has a lot of pressure though, because he must have a big first year and has no excuse not to.

You shut your mouth. I love shoop lol

Jack Lambert
03-10-2018, 09:20 PM

I swear I heard the same thing about Grantham on this very board. The only difference is we were replacing a really bad DC. I think Shoop is going to take a advantage of his second chance.

Bulldog1
03-10-2018, 09:25 PM
I’m behind Shoop, I think he’ll do just fine.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Agree completely

CadaverDawg
03-10-2018, 09:26 PM
I swear I heard the same thing about Grantham on this very board. The only difference is we were replacing a really bad DC. I think Shoop is going to take a advantage of his second chance.

I loved the Grantham hire, he had only had like 1 season ranked lower than 30th defensively. This isn’t like the Grantham hire. Not saying Shoop can’t do good here, but Grantham was very low risk/high reward, because while he didn’t have any Top 5 D’s, he had a ceiling at about #30 which was a 100 point improvement over Sirmon.

preachermatt83
03-10-2018, 09:28 PM
You shut your mouth. I love shoop lol

One of the funniest movie scenes of all time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9n46CtDmKOg

Jack Lambert
03-10-2018, 09:31 PM
I loved the Grantham hire, he had only had like 1 season ranked lower than 30th defensively. This isn’t like the Grantham hire. Not saying Shoop can’t do good here, but Grantham was very low risk/high reward, because while he didn’t have any Top 5 D’s, he had a ceiling at about #30 which was a 100 point improvement over Sirmon.

I a not saying you said it but I read many post talking about how he was let go at Georgia and folks were worried.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Shoop is a good DC who made a poor career decision in going to Tennessee. He's probably going to be like Manny Diaz without having to go through La Tech to recover his career.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 10:01 PM
I a not saying you said it but I read many post talking about how he was let go at Georgia and folks were worried.

And Louisville for that matter.

maroonmania
03-10-2018, 11:37 PM

Well if any dimwits were saying that, which I don't remember, then they hadn't taken the time to look at the Grantham track record. Grantham has never had any defenses of his come close to level of ineptness that the TN defense has played at over the last 2 years. Yes, I am nervous about Shoop but just hope that the TN situation was too far gone when he arrived and he can still produce defenses like he did at PSU and Vandy.

Todd4State
03-10-2018, 11:58 PM
Well if any dimwits were saying that, which I don't remember, then they hadn't taken the time to look at the Grantham track record. Grantham has never had any defenses of his come close to level of ineptness that the TN defense has played at over the last 2 years. Yes, I am nervous about Shoop but just hope that the TN situation was too far gone when he arrived and he can still produce defenses like he did at PSU and Vandy.

There was definitely some concern here about "Third and Grantham". The difference is with Shoop the only concern is with what happened at Tennessee. With Grantham the criticism was heard from both Georgia and Louisville fans. Grantham was never anywhere near as bad as Tennessee was last year.

I think Shoop is going to be near the equivalent of Grantham- you don't win and produce top 25 defenses at Vanderbilt if you don't know what you are doing. I think Shoop's floor is Geoff Collins level.

biggun
03-11-2018, 03:34 AM

Areas of Concern: OL (depth), DT (depth) & CB (starters & depth)
Need Corey Thomas to stay healthy this season. He got hurt vs LSU and had to miss both the Georgia and Auburn games which allowed Georgia to double and even triple (a couple of times) J Simmons and pretty much do whatever they wanted vs our D.
CT, if healthy, should have a huge Senior year but he must stay on the field and give Jeffrey some help at other DT spot. Also, still pretty average at CB with little quality depth. Peters is too routinely beaten inside and deep, cb is still just not a natural position for him.
Ditto for OL. Paper thin.

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Need Corey Thomas to stay healthy this season. He got hurt vs LSU and had to miss both the Georgia and Auburn games which allowed Georgia to double and even triple (a couple of times) J Simmons and pretty much do whatever they wanted vs our D.
CT, if healthy, should have a huge Senior year but he must stay on the field and give Jeffrey some help at other DT spot. Also, still pretty average at CB with little quality depth. Peters is too routinely beaten inside and deep, cb is still just not a natural position for him.

Don't forget C. Rivers adding depth to DL.

Coach34
03-11-2018, 08:26 AM

completely disagree. We have some good depth finally at DT and on the OL- especially at OG.
Not as worried about CB as I was for 2017. Dantzler looked good in the bowl game and either he or Peters will be the 3rd CB because the juco that redshirted is going to start at 1 corner

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Your right 34, I forgot about B. Cole.

99jc
03-11-2018, 08:43 AM
completely disagree. We have some good depth finally at DT and on the OL- especially at OG.
Not as worried about CB as I was for 3017. Dantzler looked good in the bowl game and either he or Peters will be the 3rd CB because the juco that redshirted is going to start at 1 corner

I agree with 34 this team is 1999 good.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-11-2018, 08:54 AM

I don't get why we're "paper thin" at OL. So we lose Rankin and the backup C, but Phillips and Suggs should both be good enough to be competent backups. Maybe give Story some snaps at C and and we can lose 3 starters and have competent backups. That's pretty good depth.

DT is another position I don't see problems with. First off Rivers gives more depth at DE and allows us more freedom to shift other guys around, secondly Lee Autry comes off redshirt to add another big body. Hoyett, Brown, harris, and now Autry gives 4 competent backups along the interior. Seems like as deep as you'll ever get, tbh

CB I agree with. We all agree Dantzler will be solid, and Peters isn't a disaster... but with Rayford as the only backup, we really need MM or Cole or someone to step up and play at a level between Peters and Dantzler. If peters is the #2 CB come game time I'll be worried. But I'm fine with him as the first backup in

Coach34
03-11-2018, 09:48 AM
According to multiple people Ive talked to- Cole will be the best CB we have. I worry alot less about them now- especially after Dantzler's bowl game

Commercecomet24
03-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Not as worried about CB as I was for 2017. Dantzler looked good in the bowl game and either he or Peters will be the 3rd CB because the juco that redshirted is going to start at 1 corner

Dead on 100% accurate.

Ari Gold
03-11-2018, 11:56 AM
From a returning of the old staff
This entire staff as a whole is night and day better than last years .

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 11:58 AM

100%

DogsofAnarchy
03-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Absolutely true and sound wisdom!!

VandelayIndustries
03-11-2018, 12:30 PM

In what ways is this staff better?

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 12:31 PM

There blue collar, not country club.

msbulldog
03-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Knox-Holloway!
Hev recruiting-Pleeaze!
Gonzales-no receivers with more than 300 yards 2017!

VandelayIndustries
03-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Nice. Can we start the season tomorrow?

Bulldog1
03-11-2018, 12:38 PM

JoMo- aggressive play caller. Don liked to be aggressive, until we played a big game, then he played not to lose; AND he won’t be out job shopping every year like Don.
Shoop- Don’t think he’s better than Grantham, but I think he’s just as good.
We have a former NFL coach as an assistant- that can’t hurt.
Shoop will be working w/ safeties- our biggest hole on D.
Someone else can fill in the other improvements, this is just a few

Coach34
03-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Communication in recruiting and with current players for one

Commercecomet24
03-11-2018, 02:13 PM
There blue collar, not country club.

Yep I see this as well. This staff actually understands the concept of relentless effort.