PDA

View Full Version : When do we start to see/hear names mentioned for the baseball job?

LibraryDawg
03-08-2018, 05:20 PM
I've seen guys like Kendall Rogers say that big name guys are expressing interest, but he left it at that. When do we start to see those names leaked?

Todd4State
03-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Probably late May or June if I had to guess. I expect Cohen to keep it mostly quiet.

bostondawg
03-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately for the fans (but fortunately for MSU), Cohen has all the time in the world for this hire. He won't rush it.

Todd4State
03-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately for the fans (but fortunately for MSU), Cohen has all the time in the world for this hire. He won't rush it.

Right. But I also think we will have someone in place by the 4th of July. All indications are it will be a current head coach and Cohen is going to let whoever it is finish out their season.

HoopsDawg
03-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Gotta be Dan Heefner right?

The Federalist Engineer
03-08-2018, 06:33 PM
It will be the Monday after Louisville’s last game, during the CWS probably

99jc
03-08-2018, 06:35 PM
My sources say Henderson is being given the chance to see what he can do.

BuckyIsAB****
03-08-2018, 06:35 PM
It will be the Monday after Louisville’s last game, during the CWS probably

Or UNC...Or TTU....Or OK State

HoopsDawg
03-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Well, yeah, he will be given a chance. But no way he's our coach.

The Federalist Engineer
03-08-2018, 06:37 PM
UNC and OkSU would be downers for me.... Heefner is good thou

Commercecomet24
03-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Well, yeah, he will be given a chance. But no way he's our coach.

This. Unless he wins the cws don?t see him getting the job.

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:42 PM
I've seen guys like Kendall Rogers say that big name guys are expressing interest, but he left it at that. When do we start to see those names leaked?

You won’t

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Gotta be Dan Heefner right?

Heefner is snuggled in good at DBU. Not sure he’s a great fit.

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:44 PM

We need a recruiter and evaluator. That’s 80% of the job and Henderson won’t be able to show that this year.

Head coaches have to recruit now whereas when Henderson was coming up in the business, they did not.

preachermatt83
03-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Anybody who says they wouldn't want heefner loses all credibility. All of it.

ShotgunDawg
Or UNC...Or TTU....Or OK State

UNC guy is too old to start over. Not a fit for what we need.

Texas Tech - I’m all in on Tadlock and J Bob. They fit what we need.

Ok State - Holliday has potential but is a terrible recruiter, control freak, and is maybe the worst hitting coach in America that doesn’t realize he’s bad.

HoopsDawg
Heefner is snuggled in good at DBU. Not sure he’s a great fit.

He might be ready for a change. He is an elite hitting coach which is what I want. And he gets DBU to the NCAAT all the time. Been to the NCAA tourney 6 of the last 7 years.

preachermatt83
03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
UNC and OkSU would be downers for me.... Heefner is good thou

So are u really saying you wouldn't want fox or holliday?? No way you are serious.

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Anybody who says they wouldn't want heefner loses all credibility. All of it.

Really?

Heefner would be an awkward fit but would do a good job. Problem is that he’s married to Ben Zobrist’s sister and they are all very ingrained in DBU baseball. I just don’t see it happening.

preachermatt83

Texas Tech - I’m all in on Tadlock and J Bob. They fit what we need.

Ok State - Holliday has potential but is a terrible recruiter, control freak, and is maybe the worst hitting coach in America that doesn’t realize he’s bad.

Oh my this may be the worst post you have ever made... and that's saying A LOT!!

ShotgunDawg
So are u really saying you wouldn't want fox or holliday?? No way you are serious.

I wouldn’t hire either of them. Not the right fit.

preachermatt83
Really?

Heefner would be an awkward fit but would do a good job. Problem is that he’s married to Ben Zobrist’s sister and they are all very ingrained in DBU baseball. I just don’t see it happening.

Said nothing about it happening, said anyone who wouldn't want him is an idiot.

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Oh my this may be the worst post you have ever made... and that's saying A LOT!!

If you don’t see it from my perspective, I can certainly see where you could say that.

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Said nothing about it happening, said anyone who wouldn't want him is an idiot.

Maybe. Maybe not. Again, depends on the perspective and level of education on these candidates from which you are speaking

msbulldog
03-08-2018, 06:52 PM
John Cohen will wait until our season is over, out of respect for Gary Henderson. Because that is the kind of man John Cohen is and we're lucky to have him!

HoopsDawg
03-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Really?

Heefner would be an awkward fit but would do a good job. Problem is that he?s married to Ben Zobrist?s sister and they are all very ingrained in DBU baseball. I just don?t see it happening.

I don't see why it would be an awkward fit. They won something like 22 of their last 24 games last year and still only got a 3 seed. If he wants to take the next step and compete for championships he will need to leave Dallas Baptist.

Another note, they have been in the top 25 in the country in home runs 7 years in a row. One of only 6 teams in the nation to win 40 or more games six seasons in a row.

preachermatt83
03-08-2018, 06:56 PM
I don't see why it would be an awkward fit. They won something like 22 of their last 24 games last year and still only got a 3 seed. If he wants to take the next step and compete for championships he will need to leave Dallas Baptist.

Another note, they have been in the top 25 in the country in home runs 7 years in a row. One of only 6 teams in the nation to win 40 or more games six seasons in a row.

Great post

ShotgunDawg
03-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Heefner would be an excellent coach. I just don’t see it happening. His personality is interesting

We could do worse than Heefner.

You guys are just looking at won/loss records. It takes the right fit at MSU and not just someone who has built a quality program at a school that has a completely different set of circumstances.

Yes Dallas Baptist is a quality program, but they have one of the top 15 stadiums in the country and can recruit within a 2 hour radius.

The Federalist Engineer
03-08-2018, 07:10 PM

With our recent run of luck, Fox would die on us in-season, hes old and Mississippi is hot. Fine coach thou, been close to the title

OkSU is a hexed, chip on shoulder, corrupt, sleazy, soul-rotted-with sooner-envy school, we don?t want that contamination. It will corrode our fine bulldog spirit

Todd4State
03-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Texas Tech - I?m all in on Tadlock and J Bob. They fit what we need.

Ok State - Holliday has potential but is a terrible recruiter, control freak, and is maybe the worst hitting coach in America that doesn?t realize he?s bad.

Tadlock is a Texas Tech alum and while I agree having someone that can identify talent that isn't obvious is a good thing I liked the fact that Cann had a lot of scouting connections and could get draftable talent to campus like Tanner Allen. But anyway- my point I was trying to get to is it seems surprising to me that Tadlock would leave Texas Tech given that he is an alum there. My other thing is I'd like to have someone that can get draftable talent in at a high rate because that is a proven formula for winning what we all want- a National Title.

It seems to me like a "perfect" situation would be to have a coaching staff that has lots of MLB ties like Cann did, a coach that can identify talent that isn't obvious like a Mark Calvi, and an elite pitching coach like a Butch or Kirk Saarloos.

Actually the other two coaches are also alums of their schools as well. And Holliday's Dad used to be the head coach at Oklahoma State on top of that.

Coach34
03-08-2018, 08:05 PM
You guys are just looking at won/loss records. It takes the right fit at MSU and not just someone who has built a quality program at a school that has a completely different set of circumstances.

Yes Dallas Baptist is a quality program, but they have one of the top 15 stadiums in the country and can recruit within a 2 hour radius.

They are just being fans and have some trouble seeing the big picture sometimes.

OM has hired 3 nobodies as the their head football coach the last 3 tries....and their next basketball hire is going to be mid-major Kermit Davis most likely.
State has hired a top coordinator in the country in football the last 2 hires...in basketball- we hired an out of work coach having trouble finding a job. Our 2 baseball hires saw us steal Kentucky's coach who was a former player and coveted this job- and then one of the country's top hitting coaches.

I'll say it again- We are not going to hire a top 15 head coach to come to Sville. We have a great program- but people arent leaving their lives in good cities to move to Mississippi. We are going to be used by a couple of coaches to get pay raises at their current schools- and then we will finally settle on a guy in his 30's that is a HC at a lower school most likely.

HaggardDawg
03-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I?d still make McDonnell tell me no.

Coach34
03-08-2018, 11:07 PM
I?d still make McDonnell tell me no.

so whats your plan when he does?

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-09-2018, 12:30 AM
so whats your plan when he does?

We're gunna make him an offer he can't refuse

AusTexDawg
03-09-2018, 10:17 AM
OkSU is a hexed, chip on shoulder, corrupt, sleazy, soul-rotted-with sooner-envy school, we don?t want that contamination. It will corrode our fine bulldog spirit

So, you're saying it's basically Auburn on the Great Plains

BB30
03-09-2018, 10:32 AM
They are just being fans and have some trouble seeing the big picture sometimes.

OM has hired 3 nobodies as the their head football coach the last 3 tries....and their next basketball hire is going to be mid-major Kermit Davis most likely.
State has hired a top coordinator in the country in football the last 2 hires...in basketball- we hired an out of work coach having trouble finding a job. Our 2 baseball hires saw us steal Kentucky's coach who was a former player and coveted this job- and then one of the country's top hitting coaches.

I'll say it again- We are not going to hire a top 15 head coach to come to Sville. We have a great program- but people arent leaving their lives in good cities to move to Mississippi. We are going to be used by a couple of coaches to get pay raises at their current schools- and then we will finally settle on a guy in his 30's that is a HC at a lower school most likely.

Agree with some of this logic but not all of it. Alot will depend on how much we are willing to spend on a new coach and how important a good raise is to the said head coach. There are some guys in that top 15 group that we should be able to go get if we throw enough money at them. I don't think the whole Mississippi thing will be as much of a crutch in baseball as it is in football.

How many people would chose to live in Auburn or Tuscaloosa if it weren't for their profession? Alabama hires great football coaches pretty consistently solely based off their history and facilities. We should without a doubt be able to go out and get a solid coach. As a coach you don't have a lot of free time regardless of where you live to go and do stuff and when you do you can just take your family on a vacation.

Now we will definitely have to throw more money at some of these guys than some other programs would have to but that doesn't mean we shouldn't go after a top 15 coach.

Randolph Dupree
03-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Hmm. Not sure about that. Not sure he wants the head job but that may have changed. Regardless of how he does this year (and I hope he does well) I think hiring Henderson is a mistake. If you?re looking to build a dynasty type program he is not the guy. He?s a 3,4,5 year hire. Unless the market for good coaches is down, I think Cohen sticks with the model of young, energetic, and smart.

AusTexDawg
03-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Maybe Tadlock is tired of having dirt in his ears:

http://wpnature.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/misc-lubbock-texas-dust-storm-usmc-marines-recon-marine-corps-wallpaper-hd.jpg

Cooterpoot
03-09-2018, 10:43 AM
McDonnell isn't reasonable. He's already the highest paid coach in America with commitment to facility upgrades in hand. He's not leaving.
Same with Schlossnagle. He's not realistic either.
After that, we've got a shot. I'm not saying we're getting O'Connor or Corbin, but we're not hiring another Canns type guy as far as experience goes. There's a premium on proven experience this time.