PDA

View Full Version : OT- L.A/Santa Monica

MoreCowbell
03-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Taking a trip to LA next week and the girl I?m staying with lives in Santa Monica on the beach. I?ve never been west of Colorado and I have Thursday and Friday to myself while she is at work. If anybody has been there what is some stuff in that area I should do while I have the time? I am not familiar with LA/Santa Monica at all so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cooterpoot
03-08-2018, 04:23 PM
LAX is the devil. You'll be close to Beverly Hills and Hollywood, and they're pretty cool. Plenty of sight-seeing available. Beaches area is nice.
Cali isn't as bad as people make it out (Just get the hell out of LA).

Tailgate Superstar
03-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Walk or rent a bike and walk/ride on the boardwalk from Santa Monica to Venice Beach. The people watching is unbelievable and will keep you entertained. I was out there last summer and had a blast. Be forewarned, traffic is the worst you will ever experience. We rented a convertible and rode up the PCH and also went into LA and caught Tom Petty's last show at the Hollywood Bowl before he passed away. Had a blast and look forward to going out there again.

Jack Lambert
03-08-2018, 04:40 PM
If she's hot I would not be concerned about even leaving the house.

dawgs
03-08-2018, 05:03 PM
LAX is the devil. You'll be close to Beverly Hills and Hollywood, and they're pretty cool. Plenty of sight-seeing available. Beaches area is nice.
Cali isn't as bad as people make it out (Just get the hell out of LA).

I’d live in California over almost anywhere else in the country.

ScoobaDawg
03-08-2018, 05:11 PM
All depends on what you are interested in... being a tourist and sight seeing, gawking around town on a tmz tour looking for a star, or enjoying the town for things you enjoy. Beer? Wine? , Food, or other activities.

dawgs
03-08-2018, 05:12 PM
If you like art, LA is the only comparison to NYC. Broad museum (modern art), Getty museum (classics, great views), and LA county museum of art (the classics, lots of ancient artifacts) are all top notch. I’d at least pick one to hit for a few hours. Get on eater.com and go find their best taco recommendations. Hit up phantom carriage brewery (my favorite out of LA). Hang out in Venice beach. Check out a comedy show at upright citizens brigade or million other comedy clubs. Check out a lakers game if they are at home.

That’s more than enough to eat up 2 days of free time.

dawgs
03-08-2018, 05:16 PM
All depends on what you are interested in... being a tourist and sight seeing, gawking around town on a tmz tour looking for a star, or enjoying the town for things you enjoy. Beer? Wine? , Food, or other activities.

LA is such a big place, you can literally make whatever you want to make of it. You can be a beach bum, you can eat and drink with some of the best in the world, you can stalk movie stars, you can go find hipster hoods with quirky shops, you can go hiking, you can get cultured by hopping from museum to museum. It?s not all just gawking at movie stars and plastic surgery. I was actually kinda surprised how much I enjoyed LA. I probably like it more than the bay area right now (for comparison to the other main metro attraction in California).

ScoobaDawg
03-08-2018, 05:59 PM
LA is such a big place, you can literally make whatever you want to make of it. You can be a beach bum, you can eat and drink with some of the best in the world, you can stalk movie stars, you can go find hipster hoods with quirky shops, you can go hiking, you can get cultured by hopping from museum to museum. It?s not all just gawking at movie stars and plastic surgery. I was actually kinda surprised how much I enjoyed LA. I probably like it more than the bay area right now (for comparison to the other main metro attraction in California).

That's kinda my point..never been. But if he's only got 2 days, not like walking into a small town with few options.. best to plan and figure out what you are interested in and plan it out... or hell just wing it. but hard for anyone to just suggest what to do without knowing what his interests are.

MedDawg
03-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Taking a trip to LA next week and the girl I?m staying with lives in Santa Monica on the beach. I?ve never been west of Colorado and I have Thursday and Friday to myself while she is at work. If anybody has been there what is some stuff in that area I should do while I have the time? I am not familiar with LA/Santa Monica at all so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Visit Universal Studios. Ask for Babs.

viverlibre
03-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Needs pics to give advice.

99jc
03-08-2018, 06:33 PM
LA sucks. San Fran is ok. Spent a lot of time in Cali to many people cost of living is ridiculous. Northern cali is nice though.

RougeDawg
03-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Better visit now before they secede.

ILOATHEBears
03-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Take the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu hang out at the pier. If you like sushi go to Nobu in Malibu. Santa Monica pier is good for people watching cause you will some crazy stuff

MoreCowbell
03-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Yea she?s stacked. I hate flying but my ass aint missing that.

MoreCowbell
03-08-2018, 08:53 PM

I?m really down for anything, I?d normally like to just party but I actually want to do some sight seeing

MoreCowbell
03-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys

gtowndawg
03-08-2018, 09:09 PM
After you do Santa Monica watch Goliath on Amazon (with Billy Bob Thorton). It was filmed on location there. You will see a bunch of stuff you'll recognize.

If you have a car and can spare more time, drive down to the Laguna Beach area. Unbelievable views. While you are driving there look for the Crystal Cove Shake Shack. It's literally on the side of the road (pacific coast highway), with outdoor seating on top of the cliffs looking over the Pacific. Get a burger and shake and just chill. It's a great local spot. About 1 hour a way, maybe hour a half. Check it out here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32588-d468216-Reviews-Crystal_Cove_Shake_Shack-Laguna_Beach_California.html

RougeDawg
03-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Don?t bring back any of their views on policy or life in general, please.

dawgs
03-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Can’t not make it political, can y’all?

RougeDawg
03-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Can?t not make it political, can y?all?

I think it?s more of the pointing out of the hypocrisy than being political.

dawgs
03-09-2018, 12:35 AM
I think it?s more of the pointing out of the hypocrisy than being political.

What are you even talking about? Dude just asked about shit to do in LA and people were giving him ideas.

Dawg61
03-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Bruh get some legal weed and go smoke trees with Mickey at Disneyland

Dawg61
03-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Don?t bring back any of their views on policy or life in general, please.

When are you going to join the political board RougeDawg?

Bothrops
03-09-2018, 01:31 AM

Take about 10 million people out of the LA basin, and cut Oakland out of the map, and California would be awesome. Best outdoors state, hands down. The California coast is underrated, especially in certain areas. Very scenic.

CowtownDawg
03-09-2018, 09:38 AM
I go to L.A. several times a year for work. Anyone that is bashing it for any reason is full of crap. Yes, it is busy and congested b/c it is the 2nd largest metro area in the U.S. As long as you make up your mind to just relax and enjoy, the traffic and congestion isn't that big of a deal.

The Santa Monica area is a pretty cool area. Hit the pier for an hour or so. Neat place but not something to spend a lot of time on. South from the SM pier is a cool eclectic area with lots of little dives with good food and a relaxed vibe. Stick between Ocean Ave and the beach to find the best spots. Ask locals too. Most people out there are pretty helpful and friendly when you're asking about things to do in the area.

Other things to hit: Griffith Observatory in the hills just north of L.A. Some cool history and great views of the city. You'll be close enough to hit Hollywood Blvd (walk of stars) & Mann's Chinese Theater (which is on Hollywood Blvd), cruise down Rodeo Drive, cruise through the sunset strip. All of those things are within about 10 to 15 minutes drive of each other. You could easily knock out all of those 4 things in a morning as long as you don't spend a bunch of time shopping for souvenirs on Hollywood Blvd.

If you have time, head north up the PCH towards Malibu. There will be some traffic for a while, but the scenery is amazing and there are any number of places to pull off and park and walk up and down the beach. One of my favorite L.A. restaurants, Gladstone's, is on PCH right were Sunset Blvd dead ends into it. It's kind of pricey (Dinner for just me is usually around $70 for just me), but it is delicious. The Ocean Club is another restaurant just a few minutes farther that is also really good, but on the pricey side. The Reel Inn is a way more moderately priced restaurant just a bit farther. If you have the time, I would recommend to just keep cruising north up PCH through Malibu. The traffic will get lighter and lighter and the views just keep getting better. At the very north end of Malibu is a burger shack/fried seafood place called Neptune's Net (which you might recognize from The Fast and The Furious). Great food and cool atmosphere. About a mile past Neptune's Net, the PCH goes down to a 2 lane highway and that is where the scenery really gets amazing. You have the Santa Monica mountains rising above you on your right and the Pacific Ocean 50ish yards away on your left. Tons of places to pull over and walk down to beach.

L.A. is a really cool town and you should be able to find plenty to do during the days while the lady is at work. Just make up your mind that you're going to go out and experience the city and you will have a blast.

1bigdawg
03-09-2018, 09:51 AM
My advice: Trust her. You are going to see her and she lives there and knows. The bike ride to Venice Beach is nice and easy. The museums are great. There are great restaurants and great Cal/Mex at taco stands as well. But the big thing is to see it like a local. Enjoy.