PDA

View Full Version : Songs that get too much airplay on Classic Rock Stations

Bully13
03-06-2018, 07:39 PM
not in any particular order of suckness

Styx--Renegade, Blue Collar Man--in fact, Come Sail Away is the only thing they ever did worth a shit

whoever in the 17 sings that "There Must be Some Misunderstanding"

whoever in the 17 sings that "Hold the Line"

Huey Lewis should NEVER be played on a Classic Rock Station

Kansas--Carry on Wayward Son & Dust in the Wind

that's a start

BeardoMSU
03-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Styx--Renegade, Blue Collar Man--in fact, Come Sail Away is the only thing they ever did worth a shit

that's a start

Anything by Journey...Yeah, I said it.

also...The Dude said it best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc

Bully13
03-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Never been a huge Eagles fan. I consider them somewhat generic. I will admit though, saw 'em when I was 18 and don't think I've ever seen a group produce their songs to that degree of perfection on stage. I like a few Joe Walsh solo songs.

Tbonewannabe
03-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Never been a huge Eagles fan. I consider them somewhat generic. I will admit though, saw 'em when I was 18 and don't think I've ever seen a group produce their songs to that degree of perfection on stage. I like a few Joe Walsh solo songs.

I am not much of an Eagles fan either but those guys harmonize about as well as anyone ever.

Prediction? Pain.
03-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Dude, this thread could be massive. And divisive. Other than maybe (maybe) the Beatles, every "classic rock" band's got at least a couple of songs that have been overplayed for decades. Here we go:

"Bad Company" by Bad Company

"Turn the Page," "Like a Rock," and "Night Moves" by Bob Seger

"Simple Man," "That Smell," "Sweet Home Alabama," "What's Your Name" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix

"Heartbreaker," "Living Loving Maid," "Immigrant Song," "Kashmir," "Whole Lotta Love" by Zeppelin (man, I hate "Living Loving Maid")

"Young Lust" by Pink Floyd (that song should never, ever, ever be played on the radio unless it's part of an uninterrupted broadcast of The Wall in its entirety; stripped from context -- and, hell, even in context to a degree -- it's just awful)

"Start Me Up" and "Angie" by the Stones

"Rockin into the Night" by .38 Special

"Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith (I honestly don't care for most of their songs, but this was the first one to jump into my head that needs to go)

"Rock'n Me" and "Take the Money and Run" by Steve Miller

"Up on Cripple Creek" by the Band

"Cocaine" and "Wonderful Tonight" by Clapton

And, as Beardo already mentioned, most songs by the Eagles.

That's all I got off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's plenty more.

Bully13
03-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Dude, this thread could be massive. And divisive. Other than maybe (maybe) the Beatles, every "classic rock" band's got at least a couple of songs that have been overplayed for decades. Here we go:

"Simple Man," "That Smell," "Sweet Home Alabama," "What's Your Name" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Heartbreaker," "Living Loving Maid," "Immigrant Song," "Kashmir," "Whole Lotta Love" by Zeppelin (man, I hate "Living Loving Maid")

"Young Lust" by Pink Floyd (that song should never, ever, ever be played on the radio unless it's part of an uninterrupted broadcast of The Wall in its entirety; stripped from context -- and, hell, even in context to a degree -- it's just awful)

"Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith (I honestly don't care for most of their songs, but this was the first one to jump into my head that needs to go)

I guess I should have titled it songs that suck and shouldn't be played classic rock stations.

how anybody doesn't like Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is amazing. fantastic song.

love me some Bad Company. should play Silver Blue and Gold more though.

like Simple Man, but it needs to be 50 / 50 with Tuesday's Gone which is one of their best songs, Love me some Skynyrd

Be careful bashing Zep, 34 might ban you

plenty of other Clapton songs to play other than cocaine and wonderful night--agreed

don't really HATE Steve Miller, but maybe they do overplay

old Aerosmith is good. never understood the reason the Rocks album blew up like it did. their new shit is awful. their 1st album (Dream On) , Toys in the Attic, and Get Your Wings are 3 very solid albums . Get Your Wings has their best song in my opinion "Seasons of the Wither" which I've never heard once on the radio.

Love me some The Band--disagree with you there

.38 Special has some good songs but Rockin' into the Night isn't one of them--agreed

The Stones are my favorite band. "Start me Up" is a good song but they've got much better. not enough Exile and Beggars on the radio from the Stones.

The Wall is one of the best albums (still prefer Darkside) never cared for Young Lust or Brick in the Wall. too many other great songs on that album to be playing those. Comfortably Numb is more my style.

Prediction? Pain.
03-07-2018, 12:50 PM
I guess I should have titled it songs that suck and shouldn't be played classic rock stations.

how anybody doesn't like Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is amazing. fantastic song.

love me some Bad Company. should play Silver Blue and Gold more though.

like Simple Man, but it needs to be 50 / 50 with Tuesday's Gone which is one of their best songs, Love me some Skynyrd

Be careful bashing Zep, 34 might ban you

plenty of other Clapton songs to play other than cocaine and wonderful night--agreed

don't really HATE Steve Miller, but maybe they do overplay

old Aerosmith is good. never understood the reason the Rocks album blew up like it did. their new shit is awful. their 1st album (Dream On) , Toys in the Attic, and Get Your Wings are 3 very solid albums . Get Your Wings has their best song in my opinion "Seasons of the Wither" which I've never heard once on the radio.

Love me some The Band--disagree with you there

.38 Special has some good songs but Rockin' into the Night isn't one of them--agreed

The Stones are my favorite band. "Start me Up" is a good song but they've got much better. not enough Exile and Beggars on the radio from the Stones.

The Wall is one of the best albums (still prefer Darkside) never cared for Young Lust or Brick in the Wall. too many other great songs on that album to be playing those. Comfortably Numb is more my style.

My list is a mix of songs/bands that I both like and dislike. I like Zeppelin, Hendrix, and the Band, for example, and I'm a Pink Floyd zealot. (Though Zeppelin hasn't aged as well with me as some other bands for some reason.) But, dude, do I really need to hear the back-to-back "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Made" combo or "Whole Lotta Love" again? Where's the BBC version of "Dazed and Confused"? And why do I hear "Since I've Been Loving You" so little? "Good Times Bad Times"? "Bring it On Home"? "What is and What Should Never Be"? Those songs are all as good or better than "Living Loving Maid" or "Kashmir" or whatever, but they're often relegated to random "deep cut" sessions. And the same is true of the Band, Hendrix, the Floyd, and so on. It's like the corporate radio overlords (does Clear Channel still own most of these stations?) refuse to acknowledge the existence of 75% of most bands' back catalog. And we're not talking obscure cuts from obscure, fan-only records. Axis Bold As Love, Music from Big Pink, Animals, and so on and on. These were chart-topping or critically acclaimed classics in the UK and the USA back in the day, but you'd never know it by their lack of air play on "classic rock" radio.

Oh, here's another: "NIB" by Black Sabbath. The record that comes from -- Black Sabbath's self-title debut -- is outstanding, but that song, which is not close to the best on its album, is played way too much.

BrunswickDawg
03-07-2018, 01:09 PM

that's a start

"There Must be Some Misunderstanding" is Genesis

"Hold the Line" is Toto

My personal "played too much" list:

Stairway to Heaven - LZ: Yes, it is played too much. Its the most played song ever

Anything by Drivin' n Cryin' - they don't deserve any airtime

Sweet Home Alabama - I can name a half dozen other Skynrd songs I'd rather hear every 15 minutes.

BeardoMSU
03-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Lol, some good ones in there.

I forgot all about Aerosmith.....I ****ing hate Aerosmith. I don't know what it is about them, but I really dislike them. The J.T. Show on Supertalk probably has a little to do with it (**** you J.T.!). The only song I'll tolerate is "Dude looks like a lady", and that's only because of Mrs. Doubtfire, lol.

I actually don't hear much Seger, outside of Turn the Page. That's my dad's favorite song, so I always like hearing it, but I'll agree it's a tad overplayed.

I love Clapton. I actually wish radios would play more Cream; you typically only hear White Room or Sunshine of your Love....they need to play some Strange Brew, Crossroads, and Toad. So many great songs.

Outside of Satisfaction, Paint it Black, and Jumpin' Jack Flash, I'm not a huge Stones fan....

And you're right about the Beatles....if anything, they don't get played enough. I feel like I rarely hear them on the radio. I hear solo stuff from Lennon, Paul (esp. Wings), and George (What is Life is one of my all time favorite songs), but not much Beatles.

BeardoMSU
03-07-2018, 03:41 PM
For the Tom Jones haters, lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDzA0YDso8

Bully13
03-07-2018, 04:25 PM
I like Tom Jones AND Elvis.

and yes, when it comes to Zeppelin, why no Rover? Not enough Bring it on Home... Zep III..tangerine and shit... I really like that Street Corner Girl tune too

Bully13
03-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Being that I really dig MS Blues, I really enjoy George Thorogood's covers of Bo Didley & John Lee Hooker. Who Do you Love? and One Bourbon, one Scotch & One Beer.

Side 2 of Abbey Road is a masterpiece. the only thing you ever hear these days is Here Comes the Sun from that side.

if you are a fan of MS Delta Blues, you would also like Beggar's Banquet. good stuff.

Loving Cup is their best song in my opinion and that one comes from Exile.

Let it Rain--Clapton-- and he had some good ones with what was it, Bonnie and Delaney? something like that? Crossroads is KILLER.

Bully13
03-07-2018, 05:37 PM
OH MY GOD...Has ANYONE ever seen this? Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominoes), Carl Perkins & Johnny Cash? first Clapton and crew play a good song then for the 2nd song, Johnny & Carl come on stage and they Let it Rip. WOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1BFtWPbX4

BeardoMSU
03-07-2018, 08:55 PM
OH MY GOD...Has ANYONE ever seen this? Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominoes), Carl Perkins & Johnny Cash? first Clapton and crew play a good song then for the 2nd song, Johnny & Carl come on stage and they Let it Rip. WOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1BFtWPbX4

Word.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/97/11/b4/9711b48659eb893688c717030d25cb9b.jpg

Bully13
03-07-2018, 11:11 PM
that was just so damn awesome. you can really find some cool shit on you tube.

I once had an album back in the early 80's titled "Muddy and the Wolfe" was Muddy Waters & Howling Wolfe Jamming with Eric Clapton . it was bad ass. "highway 49".. I need to go you tube that to bring back those teenage memories. good shit indeed.

BrunswickDawg
03-08-2018, 08:44 AM
that was just so damn awesome. you can really find some cool shit on you tube.

I once had an album back in the early 80's titled "Muddy and the Wolfe" was Muddy Waters & Howling Wolfe Jamming with Eric Clapton . it was bad ass. "highway 49".. I need to go you tube that to bring back those teenage memories. good shit indeed.

Clapton and BB on "Riding with the King" was pretty cool too.

Prediction? Pain.
03-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Stopped at the store last night to pick up some things on my way home. While I was picking out bananas, I realized that "Smoke on the Water" was playing the background over the store's intercom system. I thought of this thread and laughed.

Prediction? Pain.
03-08-2018, 02:25 PM
And you're right about the Beatles....if anything, they don't get played enough. I feel like I rarely hear them on the radio. I hear solo stuff from Lennon, Paul (esp. Wings), and George (What is Life is one of my all time favorite songs), but not much Beatles.

Side 2 of Abbey Road is a masterpiece. the only thing you ever hear these days is Here Comes the Sun from that side.

The Beatles are probably the best example of a band whose catalog's near-unanimous critical and commercial success is entirely out of whack with current "classic rock" radio. Even if you relegate the pre-Rubber Soul stuff to "oldies" fare, there are seven entire albums' worth of stuff (well, maybe six and a half, if you filter out some of the duds on the second disc of the White Album) that merit much, much more air play than they get. You'd like to think that it wouldn't be too hard to replace every third spin of freaking "Night Moves" or "Abracadabra" or "We're an American Band" with "You Never Give Me Your Money" or "She's Leaving Home" or "I'm Only Sleeping" or "Hey Bulldog," but who knows.

And 13, I'm with you on Abbey Road. It's my favorite Beatles' album, start to finish, but the second-half song cycle is especially strong.

Matty Dispatch
03-09-2018, 03:59 PM
"Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas. One play per year is enough.

Bully13
03-09-2018, 09:02 PM
"Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas. One play per year is enough.

agreed. maybe reduce it to zero? LOL

you've got songs like loving cup (their best song in my opinion that's never seen airwaves) , torn and frayed (that I've never heard on the radio either), no expectations (never heard that one on the radio), Sweet Virginia (maybe banned due to the lyrics of having "have to wipe the shit right off your shoes"? kinda ironic since the GD and SOB is OK by FCC rules.

BeastMan
03-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Bob Dylan. Great songwriter, horrible performer. Play any of the 3 thousand artist who covered his songs because the cover is better 100% of the time and GNR “Knockin on Heaven’s Door” is included in that assertion

BeastMan
03-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Bob Dylan. Great songwriter, horrible performer. Play any of the 3 thousand artist who covered his songs because the cover is better 100% of the time and GNR “Knockin on Heaven’s Door” is included in that assertion

Bully13
03-10-2018, 01:51 PM

saw Dylan in Madison Square Garden in '86. I've never left a concert more disappointed. one of my favorites, Positively 4th Street. I didn't even know that was what he was playing till it was around 1/2 way through. all he wants to do is play the songs as fast as he can and get the 17 off stage. he's had the media kiss his ass for so long I guess he's got this attitude that he can do whatever he wants and 17 his fans that made him rich. The best thing about the show was to everyone's surprise, Tom Petty joined him about 1/2 through the show and played and sang with him for the remainder.

Having said that, his studio work is amongst my favorite stuff and still listen regularly. The only cover I would consider that topped his original was Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower.

Positively 4th Street, Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again, Knocking on Heaven's Door (gotta admit GNR version kicks ass), It ain't me babe, don't think twice it's all right,
Like a rolling stone, Highway 61, Tangled up in Blue, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, She's Mine.

Greatest song writer of all time. hands down and it's not close.

Bully13
03-10-2018, 01:58 PM
And I'd bet Dylan never goes back to Mexico to vacation. I've always loved this one. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2RUpzW6IM

BeardoMSU
03-10-2018, 11:55 PM
all he wants to do is play the songs as fast as he can and get the 17 off stage.

Sadly, a lot of singers/bands are like this now....

If you ever have a chance, go to a Foo Fighters concert. They are the epitome of a big time rock band. They play for a legit 2.5-3 hours, they love what they do, and they put on a great show. They are like a throw-back rock band. There's no contemporary group like 'em, IMO.

We've seen them 4 times so far, and we've got tickets to see them this summer at Fenway....yeah, that's gonna be bad ass.

Bully13
03-11-2018, 11:30 AM
thanks for the tip Beard. I've heard of them but had never heard any of their songs. I went to you tube to check them out. not my style but at least I know who they are and what they sound like. but your right, at least they like performing and want to give their fans a good show while enjoying what they do. even though I may not dig their music, I do respect them.

as far as alternatives from my norms, I like a few Nirvana songs (entertain us, don't have a gun) wide spread panic (cuz I also like allman bros, greatful dead) and I really dig that Live song Lightening strikes; really like how phish covered my favorite stones song "Loving Cup" heard a few other phish songs that were good too

Bully13
03-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Exile on Main Street is not only one of Rock's greatest albums, it has a little interesting history behind it. After battling their drug busts, jail, court , and the media hounding them and shit, they got the 17 out of England and headed to the south of France where they could chill out, not be paranoid and hounded by the media and simply clear their heads where they could put together the double album. One of my all time favorites is Loving Cup. There's some real cool you tube clips of them putting the songs together while down there.

Here's a Loving Cup clip that has poor audio & video but I think it's pretty cool cuz it shows 'em having a good time and you can kinda see from their expressions that they know they're putting together some really good shit. lyrics provided. well written song in my opinion.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.
I'm the plowman in the valley with a face full of mud.
Yes, I'm fumbling and I know my car don't start.
Yes, I'm stumbling and I know I play a bad guitar.
Give me little drink from your loving cup.
Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk.
I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.
I'm the man that brings you roses when you ain't got none.
Well I can run and jump and fish, but I won't fight
You if you want to push and pull with me all night.
Give me little drink from you loving cup.
I feel so humble with you tonight,
Just sitting in front of the fire.
See your face dancing in the flame,
Feel your mouth kissing me again,
What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz,
What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
Oh, what a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
Yes, I am nitty gritty and my shirt's all torn,
But I would love to spill the beans with you till dawn.
Give me little drink from your loving cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEMSqR-kvtc

Bully13
03-11-2018, 01:42 PM
I thought these guys were pretty good. too bad their lyrics were just to0 generic. April Wine--I like to Rock

I think these guys could have had some decent success if they just could had someone who could write some creative lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcY_enzwmI

Bully13
03-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Please tell me what happened to this song on the air waives. The Pretenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99svrFj-G_g

Dolphus Raymond
03-13-2018, 12:40 PM
"Touch Me" The Doors.
Way too much of a "Tom Jones does Vegas" sound to it for my taste.
A song that is rarely played but should be? Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again".
"Oh the Rag Man he draws circles, up and down the block. I'd ask him what the matter was but I know that he don't talk."

Bully13
03-13-2018, 01:27 PM
"Touch Me" The Doors.
Way too much of a "Tom Jones does Vegas" sound to it for my taste.
A song that is rarely played but should be? Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again".
"Oh the Rag Man he draws circles, up and down the block. I'd ask him what the matter was but I know that he don't talk."

Lol, dolphus, I like Tom Jones AND touch me. I've often wondered how cool it would have been had Frank Sinatra covered Touch Me.

Spot on with stuck inside of mobile. Just like tom thumbs blues, she's mine, positively 4th street...I could go on and on about lack of airplay on Dylan.

Mjoelner34
03-14-2018, 06:57 PM
1. Barracuda
2. Barracuda
3. Anything after 1980

BeardoMSU
03-14-2018, 08:45 PM
1. Barracuda
2. Barracuda
3. Anything after 1980

This is the only Heart song I care to hear....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0

and only because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCm3An4QxY0

BrunswickDawg
03-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Sadly, a lot of singers/bands are like this now....

If you ever have a chance, go to a Foo Fighters concert. They are the epitome of a big time rock band. They play for a legit 2.5-3 hours, they love what they do, and they put on a great show. They are like a throw-back rock band. There's no contemporary group like 'em, IMO.

We've seen them 4 times so far, and we've got tickets to see them this summer at Fenway....yeah, that's gonna be bad ass.

RHCP still puts on a great show too. Saw them about a year ago and they played almost 3 hours full tilt. It was funny how the crowd had changed though. I saw them in Jacksonville, and it was almost like a family show (I admit I took my teenage kids). Last time I had seen them was '89 in the Roxy in Buckhead, with a full on mosh pit. Needless to say, that crowd was much more entertaining.

Bully13
03-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Who is RHCP and what is a mosh pit?

BeardoMSU
03-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Who is RHCP and what is a mosh pit?

Red Hot Chili Peppers

and this is a mosh....

http://www.6am-group.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/MoshPit.jpeg

BeardoMSU
03-15-2018, 08:32 AM
RHCP still puts on a great show too. Saw them about a year ago and they played almost 3 hours full tilt. It was funny how the crowd had changed though. I saw them in Jacksonville, and it was almost like a family show (I admit I took my teenage kids). Last time I had seen them was '89 in the Roxy in Buckhead, with a full on mosh pit. Needless to say, that crowd was much more entertaining.

I agree about RHCP, just totally forgot about them. I saw them back in 2001 or 2002 in New Orleans (Snoop Dogg opened for them, lol), and they were great. They played in Boston last year, and we were planning on going, but other plans came up.

BrunswickDawg
03-15-2018, 10:36 AM
I agree about RHCP, just totally forgot about them. I saw them back in 2001 or 2002 in New Orleans (Snoop Dogg opened for them, lol), and they were great. They played in Boston last year, and we were planning on going, but other plans came up.

I was pleasantly surprised. Anthony and Flea still have a ton of energy on stage - which most guys in their mid-50s don't have. Jagger and Buddy Guy are about the only 2 artists I've seen live in their 50s who could really still bring it like they were in their early 20s. Oddly - it was at the same show - Stones Steel Wheels Tour at Grant Field in ATL in '89. Buddy Guy climbed the damn lighting tower over the stage and played from the top. Dude was unreal.

Coach34
03-15-2018, 04:16 PM
good thread- a few things from me:

1. Agreed that other artists sign Dylan's songs better than him. Hendrix doing Like a Rolling Stone is greatness.
2. Agree that Zepp doesnt get enough of their songs played. They have about 25 songs that should be played- but radio plays the same 5-6 over and over.
3. Disagree on Heart- Ann's voice is awesome and none of it gets old
4. Bad Company, Boston, and some others have absolutely been driven into the ground.