PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss the first few fouls on Big T

Alphadog
03-04-2018, 06:54 PM
The first was an over the back call that was legit. Probably doesn't get called on Aja
Second was a pretty weak blocking foul. I didn't see the replay so she may have fouled her but looked pretty weak to me.

These 2 fouls totally change to first half of the game. And this to me is an example of the refs changing the game. I totally agreed with the first call but the second I think you have to let go (unless there was more to it than I initially saw). I just think the refs have to let the best players play when its a game of this importance. When you have a SEC defensive player of the year, you let her play defense. SWAT got away with some fouls when he played because he had a reputation as a great defensive player. I think you have to give T the same credit that all great defensive players seem to get. If a guard wants to take it up on a great shot blocker, then there needs to be a lot of contact for it to get called.

The 3rd foul I thought was bullshit but it didn't really have any significance on the outcome. The 3rd foul was a great player (Aja) getting the benefit of the doubt because of who she is. And that is my whole point of this post. V didn't get that same benefit of the doubt when she was driving to the goal and T getting that benefit of the doubt when she was blocking shots.

Alphadog
03-04-2018, 06:56 PM
I don't want it to come off as blaming the refs for the loss because they outplayed us when T was on the court in the 2nd half too. But I just hate seeing her sit the whole first half when she should receive SOME of the same benefit calls that Aja gets. Not ALL but SOME

Martianlander
03-04-2018, 07:31 PM
SEC and NCAA rules. If anyone comes within 3 feet of Wilson it's a foul if the game is close. Wilson is also allowed to take as many steps as she wants without walking being called.

Liverpooldawg
03-04-2018, 07:53 PM
SEC and NCAA rules. If anyone comes within 3 feet of Wilson it's a foul if the game is close. Wilson is also allowed to take as many steps as she wants without walking being called.

And install a ladder on the opponent's backs in order to rebound better.

bulldogcountry1
03-05-2018, 08:54 AM
When she got that second foul, it was all over for her. She checked out mentally. Unfortunately, she's not the type that plays well angry, and she loses focus.

dawgday166
03-05-2018, 08:59 AM
And install a ladder on the opponent's backs in order to rebound better.

She do get away with over the back a good bit of the time.

sleepy dawg
03-05-2018, 09:58 AM
The first was an over the back call that was legit. Probably doesn't get called on Aja
Second was a pretty weak blocking foul. I didn't see the replay so she may have fouled her but looked pretty weak to me.

These 2 fouls totally change to first half of the game. And this to me is an example of the refs changing the game. I totally agreed with the first call but the second I think you have to let go (unless there was more to it than I initially saw). I just think the refs have to let the best players play when its a game of this importance. When you have a SEC defensive player of the year, you let her play defense. SWAT got away with some fouls when he played because he had a reputation as a great defensive player. I think you have to give T the same credit that all great defensive players seem to get. If a guard wants to take it up on a great shot blocker, then there needs to be a lot of contact for it to get called.

The 3rd foul I thought was bullshit but it didn't really have any significance on the outcome. The 3rd foul was a great player (Aja) getting the benefit of the doubt because of who she is. And that is my whole point of this post. V didn't get that same benefit of the doubt when she was driving to the goal and T getting that benefit of the doubt when she was blocking shots.

That is just not the way the game is being called, and the refs are being pushed to continue calling every foul they see. The refs are letting too many go in the eyes of the NCAA and the head of officials. The foul being petty is irrelevant. No one is supposed to get away with calls. If they see a foul, they are supposed to call it. The NCAA is pushing for more fouls to be called, not less.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2018, 10:24 AM
She do get away with over the back ALL of the time.

fify

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2018, 10:27 AM

This drives my wife nuts. She played for a girls basketball team that won the state championship and the coach was one of the all time greats in MS High School. Wilson does a shuffle step almost every time she touches the ball and it is walking. She is a great player but that shuffle step gives her extra "quickness" to get around defenders.

tcdog70
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Victoria got fouled at least 4 times on lay ups with no call.

Lord McBuckethead
03-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Well, Mc could get better position when she is on defense. Looked to be out of position, almost the entire game. Also, when you let a player face you up, 15 feet from the basket, you are going to be called for the foul or you are going to let them score. got to keep a body on her and trust the people behind you.

dawgday166
03-05-2018, 10:38 AM
fify

LOL ... you may be right. I can't remember it being called on her more than maybe once or twice when I've watched her play. And she rebounds from behind quite often. Sometimes that isn't over the back if no contact is made, but majority of the time there will be contact.

Alphadog
03-05-2018, 01:48 PM
That is just not the way the game is being called, and the refs are being pushed to continue calling every foul they see. The refs are letting too many go in the eyes of the NCAA and the head of officials. The foul being petty is irrelevant. No one is supposed to get away with calls. If they see a foul, they are supposed to call it. The NCAA is pushing for more fouls to be called, not less.

There is no doubt that they are calling more fouls and that it is the NCAA pushing it. My issue is that everyone knows that certain players get away with more than other players. And that is usually because they are the best players on the court and have put in their time "earning" that right. Aja gets away with more than just about anyone because she is the best player on the court. I'm just saying that I feel like if you are the a junior and the SEC defensive player of the year, you have earned that right also. I've go problem with the best players getting the calls because it has happened for as long as I have been watching sports. I just feel that T should have gotten the benefit of the doubt on the 2nd foul. And I have no doubt that the 3rd foul would not have been called if it had been anyone but Aja that she blocked.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2018, 03:01 PM
LOL ... you may be right. I can't remember it being called on her more than maybe once or twice when I've watched her play. And she rebounds from behind quite often. Sometimes that isn't over the back if no contact is made, but majority of the time there will be contact.

Saw Wilson get a rebound over T which is pretty much impossible for anyone in women's college basketball without going over the back. I honestly can't remember another player that gets away with more than Wilson. She is a great player and would probably adjust if it was called fair but it drives me nuts watching her. It is like if Kershaw got 6 inches off the plate consistently every game. The guy would be unhittable. For Wilson's size and quickness, she is probably the best power forward in the SEC in the last 10 years. She still would be if they didn't let her get away with what she does. The refs make her almost unstoppable when they call the game like that.

raymond21
03-05-2018, 03:12 PM
T is slow and very poor footwork, prime candidate to have fouls called on her if anyone remotely matches her size.

Alphadog
03-05-2018, 03:38 PM
And yet SEC defensive player of the year

notsofarawaydawg
03-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Easy to sit in that damn chair and criticize anyone on the floor actually playing in a high profile game including the refs. You people take the cake when it comes to criticizing our athletes at MSU. **** you people.

sleepy dawg
03-05-2018, 07:26 PM
There is no doubt that they are calling more fouls and that it is the NCAA pushing it. My issue is that everyone knows that certain players get away with more than other players. And that is usually because they are the best players on the court and have put in their time "earning" that right. Aja gets away with more than just about anyone because she is the best player on the court. I'm just saying that I feel like if you are the a junior and the SEC defensive player of the year, you have earned that right also. I've go problem with the best players getting the calls because it has happened for as long as I have been watching sports. I just feel that T should have gotten the benefit of the doubt on the 2nd foul. And I have no doubt that the 3rd foul would not have been called if it had been anyone but Aja that she blocked.

And I get what you are saying, but what I am saying is that Aja should be getting called, not us being let go b/c Aja gets let go. There's a difference. If you go you're way, you can never expect consistency. There will always be questions about when you call a foul and don't. You shouldn't call a game one way part of the time. If a foul is seen, a foul should be called. The refs should always strive to call a game exactly as the rules are written. That's their job. Call fouls you see. Don't call fouls you don't see. When needed, go check the monitor.

Percho
03-05-2018, 09:34 PM
What is sad is William was fouled on the shot, hit in the head, a no call which resulted in T getting a foul.