PDA

View Full Version : Settle the debate between Henderson and Mingione re Kentucky

03-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Their lineup vs. Houston on Friday featured 3 high schoolers, all upperclassmen, all recruited by Henderson. 4 others were JUCO players recruited by Mingione. 2 others were second year JUCO players that were seemingly recruited/signed by Henderson, but hard to tell, they may have been late signees. Either way, I credit half the team to Henderson and half to Mingione's JUCOs. Last year's Kentucky team was nearly all Henderson obviously.

Why does this matter? I see many of our fans pining for that guy, then at the same time say they hate JUCOs, then saying Henderson failed and Mingione is a good coach.

Also, Kentucky just unveiled a 49 million dollar stadium plan last October. Pretty sure Mingione was hired to be the face of that program going forward, and would be hard to lure him back here

We need someone else, a different direction. Mingione's recruits were the problem children we have had the past few years.

I'm also not saying Henderson should be the coach, unless he takes us to Omaha or something, don't mistake me for implying that

Ari Gold
03-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Neither one will be the head coach here next year..

Todd4State
03-04-2018, 02:37 PM
As I said yesterday Kentucky has an elite hitting coach that Mingione hired named Todd Guilliams. Living and dying off of JUCO's is not going to be sustainable for them in the long run either. They also have to rely on JUCO's make than us because they are second in their state in baseball.

We'll see how they do in SEC play. And for the record I don't want Mingione.

Todd4State
03-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Neither one will be the head coach here next year..

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen knows who he is going to get already. We like to harp on the elite guys we allegedly can't get- but there are some like Jay Johnson that are very probable.

Bulldog1
03-04-2018, 02:40 PM
I don't want either, no disrespect to them.

Todd4State
03-04-2018, 03:42 PM
And to add- I see people saying stuff like "Butch just beat someone 20-4 and yet we have fans that don't think he should be a candidate". You can't and shouldn't base who our candidates should be based on one game or one season. It needs to be a steady consistent track record.

The goal is to win a NC and our fans need to keep that in mind instead of going good old boy.

tireddawg
03-04-2018, 04:27 PM
I'll trust John.

preachermatt83
03-04-2018, 08:21 PM
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen knows who he is going to get already. We like to harp on the elite guys we allegedly can't get- but there are some like Jay Johnson that are very probable.

1-Jay Johnson would be a great hire
2- I've been saying he's the one to watch for from the beginning
3- I don't know a single fan that can made a credible argument against him.. I think the entire fan base would get behind him

preachermatt83
03-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Maybe we should hire pat Murphy.

State82
03-04-2018, 08:48 PM
3- I don't know a single fan that can made a credible argument against him.. I think the entire fan base would get behind him

I would have no problem with that hire.

Pit Bull
03-04-2018, 09:44 PM
I'll trust John.

Me too!....and I noticed at the Sat. game that KY has a JUCO transfer that has like 6-7 HRs already. And another freshman pitcher from Minnesota that goes about 6'7" and chunks it 90+ effortlessly. They already have JellyDonut from White Bear Lake Minnesota who is 6'11" and is a beast on the mound. Didn't know that part of the country produced such good baseball players.....maybe we need to send some coaches up north and get some awesome size and arms like that.

msbulldog
03-05-2018, 07:40 AM

Wasn't Jay Johnson the coach at Arizona that we played in the 2016 regional, that pitched one of his pitchers an un-godly pitch count and ruined the guys arm?

03-05-2018, 10:27 AM
You don't know any smart people then

03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Wasn't Jay Johnson the coach at Arizona that we played in the 2016 regional, that pitched one of his pitchers an un-godly pitch count and ruined the guys arm?

That would be him

I have no respect for coaches who do that, and the guy ended up with arm soreness in Omaha