PDA

View Full Version : So we ran Stans off and after 5 years of suckass basketball

ATTILLA THE DOG
03-03-2018, 02:57 PM
in year 6 we are in the same place we were nit bound.Makes sense.

msstate7
03-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Lose to South Carolina 1st round and we may not be NIT

Dawg61
03-03-2018, 03:11 PM

And Stansbury is still the same coach getting his ass waxed by MTSU securing his new team a spot in NIT as well. We took a shot on trying to improve our program after 14 years of watching Stansbury fail time and again to even get back to his peak year of 2004 when he got raped by Xavier in the 2nd round. You got a better strategy than just letting the same guy never be able to get us above a bubble team every year? All ears? Tell us your brilliant strategy to improve our program than.

confucius say
03-03-2018, 03:14 PM
4 pages.

This Should end well.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 03:15 PM

We are a lock for the NIT ass.

ScoobaDawg
03-03-2018, 03:17 PM

You know what.. I almost locked this because It's just stupid.. but I'm gonna enjoy watching you get pummeled.. starting with me..
Stans is a great man. a GOOD not Great coach.. a GREAT recruiter. But could not control his teams.
He was FIRED because our team had become a dumpster fire and national embarrassment.

We might only go to the NIT this year but our team isn't full of trash players running the program and out of control.

I'm glad Stans has a HC job again and good luck to him, but as pointed out.. he's just proving what we all knew. Good coach only.

Let it f*cking DIE already, now. take your ass kickings and enjoy how dumb you look

ATTILLA THE DOG
03-03-2018, 03:18 PM
And Stansbury is still the same coach getting his ass waxed by MTSU securing his new team a spot in NIT as well. We took a shot on trying to improve our program after 14 years of watching Stansbury fail time and again to even get back to his peak year of 2004 when he got raped by Xavier in the 2nd round. You got a better strategy than just letting the same guy never be able to get us above a bubble team every year? All ears? Tell us your brilliant strategy to improve our program than.

You want to compare Stans last 6 years vs the past 6 years.

Dawg61
03-03-2018, 03:20 PM
You want to compare Stans last 6 years vs the past 6 years.

Howland hasn't been here for 6 years so why would we do that?

ATTILLA THE DOG
03-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Howland hasn't been here for 6 years so why would we do that?

Fair enough,lets revisit this 3 years from now.

Dawg61
03-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Stapleton takes the most wrath from our fans for having a bad attitude. His attitude is like the NCAA man of the year compared to the attitudes on Stansbury's last team. Had Stansbury had a bunch of guys playing hard with great attitudes he'd still be the coach but he had Renardo Sidney doing cocaine to try to lose weight and Devin Smith smoking fake gas station weed to the point of mental hospital insanity.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Because our former dick head of an AD hired a shit ass coach in Rick Ray and let that sinkhole of a coach bury our program for three years. In Howland’s third year, we are 21-10 and in prime NIT position which imo is where everyone who didn’t have way out there expectations thought we should be. Next year, we will definitely be in the NCAA tournament with the talent and experience our team will have and I foresee we will have a run of tourney runs with the way Howland is recruiting.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Lol, you will not like that result....

Dawg61
03-03-2018, 03:29 PM

I get that you're frustrated. I am very frustrated. We all are including Howland. It just is what it is and what it is is our still young team decided to pout after getting killed by Tennessee and now we'll enjoy a quick exit in the SECT and a quick exit in the NIT. I am most disappointed in Peters right now. He just settled for disappearing into the shadows the last two games when we needed him to be his best. We don't have any leaders on this team when we have to ask Nick and Ado to be those guys.

AROB44
03-03-2018, 03:38 PM
You know what.. I almost locked this because It's just stupid.. but I'm gonna enjoy watching you get pummeled.. starting with me..
Stans is a great man. a GOOD not Great coach.. a GREAT recruiter. But could not control his teams.
He was FIRED because our team had become a dumpster fire and national embarrassment.

We might only go to the NIT this year but our team isn't full of trash players running the program and out of control.

I'm glad Stans has a HC job again and good luck to him, but as pointed out.. he's just proving what we all knew. Good coach only.

Let it f*cking DIE already, now. take your ass kickings and enjoy how dumb you look

Thank you. Perfectly said.

thf24
03-03-2018, 03:39 PM
How is it that we still have fans who think Stansbury was fired solely for wins and losses?

yjnkdawg
03-03-2018, 03:40 PM

We may not even play SC in the first round. No we are in the NIT.

ScoobaDawg
03-03-2018, 03:43 PM
How is it that we still have fans who think Stansbury was fired solely for wins and losses?

Because sadly lawsuits and laws did away with a lot of things that used to take care of idiots in this world in a process called natural selection....

yjnkdawg
03-03-2018, 03:43 PM

You are apparently clueless on why MSU parted ways with Stans. I could say IMO that this could be the stupidest thread of the year, but you do have a few competitors so the jury is still out on that.

confucius say
03-03-2018, 03:45 PM
I did not get to see the game today, listened on radio.

It sounded like we had low energy and were lazy. Listening to cbh on postgame, his comments seemed to say the same. Horrible screening, not going to rim, not getting ball inside, no free throw attempts from ado, Holman, x, or datcher and only one blocked shot by LSU. Tells me we were settling for a lot of jump shots. Again,lazy.

Not unexpected after Tuesday. But CBH has to be able to get us back up and he did not. CBH seems very positive and hand-holding. It?s okay to get in the face of our guys and challenge them. That?s my biggest fear with CBH long term.

Coach34
03-03-2018, 03:50 PM

We are not in the same place at all. We are no longer known as a team full of druggies or called “the most dysfunctional team in America”

Coach34
03-03-2018, 03:52 PM

We can lose to anybody in the SEC Tourney and we will still host our 1st game in the NIT

chainedup_Dawg
03-03-2018, 03:56 PM
With the 6 year comparison, are we talking about his last 6 yrs here when we were getting bounced in the 1st round with far greater than 1st round talent in the rare instances we made it or are we talking his last 6 coaching years period including when he was an assistant for 2 years because even other schools knew not to take a chance on him? Yes, we haven't made it yet but we had a pretty deep hole to dig out of after Ray and that's on nobody but Stricklin for taking a chance on a guy who clearly wasn't ready.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-03-2018, 03:57 PM
http://hilltopperhaven.com/board/index.php?board=1.0

I think this board is a better fit for you

Bulldog1
03-03-2018, 03:57 PM
We can lose to anybody in the SEC Tourney and we will still host our 1st game in the NIT
If they don't give any more effort than this, even OM or Vandy can send us home.

preachermatt83
03-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I like stans but this is a ignorant thread

Bulldog1
03-03-2018, 04:01 PM
You can't act like Stans had no part in the death of our basketball program. This was (at the time) probably the worst job in the SEC, because of him. A total dumpster fire, and it wasn't going to get any better under him.

LC Dawg
03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Anyone that thinks we should trade Stansbury for Howland right now is delusional. I don?t like the last two games but I?m excited for the future of our program.

msstate7
03-03-2018, 04:11 PM

Maybe. Another 20 point loss, and I can see South Carolina taking our spot. If South Carolina holds on vs auburn, their rpi will be better than ours

ATTILLA THE DOG
03-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Because sadly lawsuits and laws did away with a lot of things that used to take care of idiots in this world in a process called natural selection....

you internet tough guys are a hoot,i simpley made a post that stated, after firing stans it took us 6 years to get back to the nit(all facts) and you act like a 12 year old.Really sad.

Quaoarsking
03-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Does anyone think we would've made the NCAA Tournament over the last 6 years had Rick Stansbury stayed our coach all along?

ATTILLA THE DOG
03-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Does anyone think we would've made the NCAA Tournament over the last 6 years had Rick Stansbury stayed our coach all along?

I think we should have hired Kermit Davis myself, and i believe we would be much farther along.

Coach34
03-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Maybe. Another 20 point loss, and I can see South Carolina taking our spot. If South Carolina holds on vs auburn, their rpi will be better than ours

Today was are at worst a 2-seed in the NIT. Another loss won?t get us bounced out of it. That?s crazy

msstate7
03-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Stansbury made the tourney 6 of his 14 years. I think it is a very real possibility he would have made the tourney 1 of the last 6. AK made it 2 out of the last 6. Now would I trade howland for Stansbury? No

DawgRockur
03-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Spend more time in beautiful Scooba and less posting. Trash players or not, we are in the same position we were with Stans. Say anything else you want, but THAT is the only fact and what it boils down to.

Coach34
03-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Stansbury made the tourney 6 of his 14 years. I think it is a very real possibility he would have made the tourney 1 of the last 6. AK made it 2 out of the last 6. Now would I trade howland for Stansbury? No

Stands missed the NCAA’s his last 3 seasons and the team he had for 2013 would have made 4 straight. After that- with all the drug problems and such- it’s hard to say he certainly would have

msstate7
03-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Today was are at worst a 2-seed in the NIT. Another loss won?t get us bounced out of it. That?s crazy

It is not unrealistic that Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, and bama could finish with a higher rpi than us. I do not wanna lose 3 straight before selection.

Dawg61
03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
I think we should have hired Kermit Davis myself, and i believe we would be much farther along.

It is an absolute fact we'd be farther ahead right now as a program if SS doesn't go rogue and hire the worst candidate outta a possible 10,000 candidates by hiring Rick Ray. I can say with 100% certainty I would rather have the coach at Madison Central instead of Ray and I know absolutely dick about the HC at MCHS. I'd take the freshman basketball coach at you pick it high school in Dallas, Texas over Ray.

Coach34
03-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Spend more time in beautiful Scooba and less posting. Trash players or not, we are in the same position we were with Stans. Say anything else you want, but THAT is the only fact and what it boils down to.

as Scooba pointed out- that’s untrue. We are no longer being made fun of nationally as we were under Stands

DawgRockur
03-03-2018, 04:37 PM
as Scooba pointed out- that’s untrue. We are no longer being made fun of nationally as we were under Stands

Show me that article. We were never made ?fun of?.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 04:37 PM
It is not unrealistic that Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, and bama could finish with a higher rpi than us. I do not wanna lose 3 straight before selection.

Just stop. We are going to the NIT period.

Bulldog1
03-03-2018, 04:38 PM
It is an absolute fact we'd be farther ahead right now as a program if SS doesn't go rogue and hire the worst candidate outta a possible 10,000 candidates by hiring Rick Ray. I can say with 100% certainty I would rather have the coach at Madison Central instead of Ray and I know absolutely dick about the HC at MCHS. I'd take the freshman basketball coach at you pick it high school in Dallas, Texas over Ray.

This is so true. I mean a mannequin could've had more success than Rick Ray.

DawgRockur
03-03-2018, 04:39 PM

This all day. Fire Stans, I get it. Hire a halfway decent coach and we are not in this predicament.

Bulldog1
03-03-2018, 04:40 PM

We were the headline of SportsCenter for having 2 crack heads fighting in Hawaii.

dawgoneyall
03-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Stapleton takes the most wrath from our fans for having a bad attitude. His attitude is like the NCAA man of the year compared to the attitudes on Stansbury's last team. Had Stansbury had a bunch of guys playing hard with great attitudes he'd still be the coach but he had Renardo Sidney doing cocaine to try to lose weight and Devin Smith smoking fake gas station weed to the point of mental hospital insanity.

I don't think his attitude is that bad. He is definitely intense. And takes no gump from the opposition (although unfortunately that includes the officials at times).

Ari Gold
03-03-2018, 04:51 PM
The Stans Cult lives.
Yeah don’t lock this thread , let’s see how ****ing stupid some of you can get..

BeardoMSU
03-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Damn, some of y'all have lost your gawd damn minds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTpsv9PNqo&t=34s

Coach34
03-03-2018, 04:57 PM

and those teams have zero to do with whether we make the NIT or not

msstate7
03-03-2018, 04:59 PM
I have never been a big Stansbury guy, and I thought it was time to part ways. I do think the anti-Stansbury guys are foolish in acting like he cannot coach at all though. Hell, he was 18 spots higher than us at Wku in rpi before we got raped at LSU. Can you not acknowledge Stansbury did a good job here, and is a good coach without being labeled a Stansbury lover... wanting howland fired and such?

msstate7
03-03-2018, 05:05 PM
and those teams have zero to do with whether we make the NIT or not

17 of the 32 nit teams in 2017 came from mid majors.

23 of the 32 nit teams in 2016 came from mid majors.

The sec will not get 5 teams.

Coach34
03-03-2018, 05:07 PM

SportsCenter made fun of us for weeks for fighting in Hawaii
A sporting news writer in an article he wrote about the preseason SEC in 2011-2012 called us "the most dysfunctional program in America"
Doug Gottlieb on his national radio show kept making fun of Stands and our program for all the drama
We had to send Renardo Sidney to John Lucas for his cocaine problem while the rest of the team went to Europe to play.
Stand's back-up PG in 2012- Deville Smith- had to spend a couple of weeks in a mental facility during the season after smoking some synthetic weed.
Sidney and Moultrie both served drug suspensions during Stand's last seasons.

People all over were laughing at us

shannondawg
03-03-2018, 05:08 PM
We were showing such promise late in the season and then two blowouts. What happened?

Coach34
03-03-2018, 05:11 PM
17 of the 32 nit teams in 2017 came from mid majors.

23 of the 32 nit teams in 2016 came from mid majors.

The sec will not get 5 teams.

Since the NCAA took over the NIT- it has been more RPI/Computer based. We will not get left out of the NIT. This is the strongest the SEC has been in 8 years. At least 7 teams make the NCAA's most likely

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-03-2018, 05:14 PM

This is asinine

CJDAWG85
03-03-2018, 06:16 PM
This might be the dumbest post of all time. Please delete it.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Since the NCAA took over the NIT- it has been more RPI/Computer based. We will not get left out of the NIT. This is the strongest the SEC has been in 8 years. At least 7 teams make the NCAA's most likely

Latest NIT Braketology has us a 2 seed. That’s pretty safely in to me...
http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

msstate7
03-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Latest NIT Braketology has us a 2 seed. That’s pretty safely in to me...

Good deal. When was that updated?

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2018, 06:30 PM
This crap needs to go away. Let him go......both sides.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 06:31 PM
March 2nd but the point is you don’t go from 2 to out based on two games.

thf24
03-03-2018, 06:56 PM
People all over were laughing at us

It's simply a fact. I had people who barely follow college sports at all giving me shit over the Hawaii mess and our basketball program in the weeks following that incident. Anyone who claims not to know what a laughingstock our program was during that period is either lying or had their head planted firmly in the sand.

mstatefan91
03-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Tried to tell some of you this in one of the “why can’t we fill the Hump?” threads. Our fan base can’t get over Stans.

It’s silly

Coach34
03-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Tried to tell some of you this in one of the “why can’t we fill the Hump?” threads. Our fan base can’t get over Stans.

It’s silly

Best line of the day from Ari:

Me- "I hope like hell we draw Western Kentucky in the NIT 1st in the Hump"

Ari- "I'm not sure we would have home court advantage from our fans if we did"

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Best line of the day from Ari:

Me- "I hope like hell we draw Western Kentucky in the NIT 1st in the Hump"

Ari- "I'm not sure we would have home court advantage from our fans if we did"

What I don’t understand is people saying we won’t make the NIT even though we are 21-10 and 9-9 in the SEC. I’ve never seen such asshats. I get that we didn’t play well this week and I’m just as mad as anyone but I’m not going to sit here and say we won’t make the NIT which we are solidly in no matter what we do down the stretch.

msstate7
03-03-2018, 07:37 PM
What I don?t understand is people saying we won?t make the NIT even though we are 21-10 and 9-9 in the SEC. I?ve never seen such asshats. I get that we didn?t play well this week and I?m just as mad as anyone but I?m not going to sit here and say we won?t make the NIT which we are solidly in no matter what we do down the stretch.

I am not looking at record. I am looking at rpi. Our rpi is 72 now... down 10 spots. If we lose to lsu again Thursday, our rpi is 80ish

Coach34
03-03-2018, 07:43 PM
I am not looking at record. I am looking at rpi. Our rpi is 72 now... down 10 spots. If we lose to lsu again Thursday, our rpi is 80ish

A) RPI isnt the only thing they look at

B) Ga Tech and Valpo got in last year with RPI's of 77 and 78

Dawg61
03-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Good deal. When was that updated?

7 is just trolling y'all at this point. He knows our NIT spot is already locked up. Don't feed the trolls.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 07:45 PM
7 is just trolling y'all at this point. He knows our NIT spot is already locked up. Don't feed the trolls.

I don’t know. I honestly think he doesn’t think we make the NIT.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
As for as the NIT goes, I'd feel better if we win one in St. Louis, for the same reason I thought we had to win the last three and one in St.Louis to get to the NCAA. We NEED to get into the NIT.

shannondawg
03-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Tried to tell some of you this in one of the ?why can?t we fill the Hump?? threads. Our fan base can?t get over Stans.

It?s silly

Stans fans have got over it a hell of a lot more than the haters and posters. They are not the reason they aren't filling the stands, its more on Rick Ray.

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 07:56 PM
As for as the NIT goes, I'd feel better if we win one in St. Louis, for the same reason I thought we had to win the last three and one in St.Louis to get to the NCAA. We NEED to get into the NIT.

WE WILL BE IN THE NIT REGARDLESS....

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Stans fans have got over it a hell of a lot more than the haters and posters. They are not the reason they aren't filling the stands, its more on Rick Ray.

It’s Rick Ray. I agree with that. He Grand Canyoned our program and Howland is just now getting us back to post season respectability.

msstate7
03-03-2018, 08:00 PM

I do not think it is locked up at all. I think 1 win will

Coach34
03-03-2018, 08:02 PM
I do not think it is locked up at all. I think 1 win will

We can lose by 33 in our next game and will still be in the NIT. Only question is whether we will still host or not

MarketingBully
03-03-2018, 08:06 PM
So it’s looking like we will play LSU and if we win that game we will play Tennessee. Interesting. This should really test our players mettle and if they have any pride should come out and show these teams who we really are instead of the shit we did show them.

I seen it dawg
03-03-2018, 08:08 PM
**** stains.

msstate7
03-03-2018, 08:13 PM
We can lose by 33 in our next game and will still be in the NIT. Only question is whether we will still host or not

You are mighty confident when there has not been 1 conference champ yet. Let a couple upsets happen in mid major tournaments, then you have bubble teams go to the NIT. I think we are in decent shape, but 3 butt kickings in a row will not be a good thing

Ari Gold
03-03-2018, 08:14 PM

If this is the case then they should be coming back in droves and they aren’t.
Rick Ray has been gone for 3 years now.
As soon as we announced CBH as the new coach the excitement should have been off the charts. And we had a team battling for the dance and the lower level couldn’t even fill up.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2018, 09:27 PM
WE WILL BE IN THE NIT REGARDLESS....

Hope you are right. You probably are.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2018, 09:28 PM

And Greg Byrne. In all honesty it's more on Byrne.

Coach34
03-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Stands getting his ass handed to him again tonight. Hell, he may not make the NIT

confucius say
03-03-2018, 09:49 PM
And Greg Byrne. In all honesty it's more on Byrne.

And SS. He hired ray and didn?t fix the seating problem.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-03-2018, 09:56 PM
If this is the case then they should be coming back in droves and they aren’t.
As soon as we announced CBH as the new coach the excitement should have been off the charts. And we had a team battling for the dance and the lower level couldn’t even fill up.

It will be interesting to see what happens with OM attendance next year if they manage to get someone like Thad Motta. Our fanbase would really run out of excuses for why we couldn't get 5,000 at a basketball game for a borderline tourney team if they started to fill up their arena next season.

msstate7
03-03-2018, 09:58 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens with OM attendance next year if they manage to get someone like Thad Motta. Our fanbase would really run out of excuses for why we couldn't get 5,000 at a basketball game for a borderline tourney team if they started to fill up their arena next season.

We suck as a men basketball fanbase, period

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-03-2018, 10:01 PM

I agree now. Before this season I would have said we had a good one, and I think most of our fans think we have a good one.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2018, 10:51 PM

We didn't used to. It has nothing to do with Stans. Hell, the Stans guys were Williams guys. The name is Byrne.

maroonmania
03-04-2018, 12:10 AM
We didn't used to. It has nothing to do with Stans. Hell, the Stans guys were Williams guys. The name is Byrne.

After this year I agree that we have a sucky basketball fanbase for whatever complicated reason. I'm now of the opinion that we are very, very lucky to have Ben Howland as our coach and if we lose him we will have difficulty replacing him with anyone similar in caliber because we have shown we won't support the program like we should. And the seating issues need to get fixed NOW. Cohen should make that a priority and get all the students back in the lower bowl and together. I don't see why that has to be so complicated. And it should happen even if we give up a little bit of revenue to do so.

shannondawg
03-04-2018, 11:21 AM
If this is the case then they should be coming back in droves and they aren?t.
As soon as we announced CBH as the new coach the excitement should have been off the charts. And we had a team battling for the dance and the lower level couldn?t even fill up.

With a respectable season under his belt and especially if we do good in the tournament you will see an increase in season ticket sales. Politics don't enter into it if you are winning.

It takes effort on many of our fans to make the games, it not driving across town for most of them and figuring on losing sure doesn't make the effort worthwhile to many of them.
+

Coach34
03-04-2018, 12:03 PM
SEC Network is killing our attendance

MarketingBully
03-04-2018, 12:32 PM
After this year I agree that we have a sucky basketball fanbase for whatever complicated reason. I'm now of the opinion that we are very, very lucky to have Ben Howland as our coach and if we lose him we will have difficulty replacing him with anyone similar in caliber because we have shown we won't support the program like we should. And the seating issues need to get fixed NOW. Cohen should make that a priority and get all the students back in the lower bowl and together. I don't see why that has to be so complicated. And it should happen even if we give up a little bit of revenue to do so.

You know what the most embarrassing thing is? Auburn supported their team the moment they got Pearl and they have one of the worst basketball programs in SEC history. The way Auburn fans supported their program when Pearl was hired should have been the way MSU fans supported our program when Howland was hired.

MarketingBully
03-04-2018, 12:34 PM
SEC Network is killing our attendance

That’s a dumb thought process. Look at Auburn’s attendance. Get another excuse.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 12:49 PM
That’s a dumb thought process. Look at Auburn’s attendance. Get another excuse.

Auburn's metro area is 158,000- Starkville's is 30,000....thats a huge difference. Auburn also has more campus students than State as well.

Putting our school in the corner of the state away from everything was stupid and hurts us more than any other SEC school. It kills us with attendance now that people can watch the games on TV and dont have to drive up from Jackson or other places that were 2 hour drives

tcdog70
03-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Auburn's metro area is 158,000- Starkville's is 30,000....thats a huge difference. Auburn also has more campus students than State as well.

Putting our school in the corner of the state away from everything was stupid and hurts us more than any other SEC school. It kills us with attendance now that people can watch the games on TV and dont have to drive up from Jackson or other places that were 2 hour drives

Did Auburn take away 3000 tickets from loyal fans who came to every game and give them to fans who never show up?
Then shift the students to crappy seats and split them up. Then hire a basketball coach who couldn't coach a church league team. Remember " just play defense the offense will take care of its self". You can't give a priority to Football ticket holders for basketball seats. If you want the Hump back rocking let basketball fans have the tickets.if your seat doesn't have butts in them then you lose them.plus the fact we now play 6 o'clock games then 8 o'clock games makes it hard to attend games.

MarketingBully
03-04-2018, 01:13 PM

How are the women able to pack the Hump then? Their games are also on the SEC Network. We are able to pack Davis Wade and Dudy Noble pretty easily...

MarketingBully
03-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Did Auburn take away 3000 tickets from loyal fans who came to every game and give them to fans who never show up?
Then shift the students to crappy seats and split them up. Then hire a basketball coach who couldn't coach a church league team. Remember " just play defense the offense will take care of its self". You can't give a priority to Football ticket holders for basketball seats. If you want the Hump back rocking let basketball fans have the tickets.if your seat doesn't have butts in them then you lose them.

Something has to be done and fast. We will have a top 20 team next year and still will have issues packing the Hump.

tcdog70
03-04-2018, 01:17 PM
How are the women able to pack the Hump then? Their games are also on the SEC Network. We are able to pack Davis Wade and Dudy Noble pretty easily...

The tickets are cheaper and not locked up by people who don't attend. Make the Men's tickets the same as women's

Bulldog1
03-04-2018, 01:18 PM
The tickets are cheaper and not locked up by people who don't attend. Make the Men's tickets the same as women's

Yep. $20 dollars for upper deck seats when the lower bowl is half full... What a joke!

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-04-2018, 01:23 PM
You know what the most embarrassing thing is? Auburn supported their team the moment they got Pearl and they have one of the worst basketball programs in SEC history. The way Auburn fans supported their program when Pearl was hired should have been the way MSU fans supported our program when Howland was hired.
This is what I was alluding to about if OM hires Motta and starts filling up their arena next season. Except that OM has an even worse history than Auburn does.

The more I think about it, the more I'm embarassed by our fans this year. The continuous excuses (see below) and the way some on here just basically kept moving the goalposts back this season until the team finally slipped up.

It's one thing to just admit we don't care about basketball. It's another thing to say we do then come up with a million reasons why we can't even fill up the Hump 2/3 of the way, all the while having borderline Tennessee-football levels of delusion about our basketball program's prestige and ability to go out and get a coach better than Howland

MarketingBully
03-04-2018, 01:33 PM
This is what I was alluding to about if OM hires Motta and starts filling up their arena next season. Except that OM has an even worse history than Auburn does.

The more I think about it, the more I'm embarassed by our fans this year. The continuous excuses (see below) and the way some on here just basically kept moving the goalposts back this season until the team finally slipped up.

It's one thing to just admit we don't care about basketball. It's another thing to say we do then come up with a million reasons why we can't even fill up the Hump 2/3 of the way, all the while having borderline Tennessee-football levels of delusion about our basketball program's prestige and ability to go out and get a coach better than Howland

Great post and well said!

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Then shift the students to crappy seats and split them up. Then hire a basketball coach who couldn't coach a church league team. Remember " just play defense the offense will take care of its self". You can't give a priority to Football ticket holders for basketball seats. If you want the Hump back rocking let basketball fans have the tickets.if your seat doesn't have butts in them then you lose them.plus the fact we now play 6 o'clock games then 8 o'clock games makes it hard to attend games.

This is pretty much spot on. Our attendance problem is self inflicted by our athletic department's failure to correct their mistakes.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Football and SEC baseball series are played on weekends
Women’s tickets aren’t as expensive plus they are undefeated. Easier to take the whole family

Ari Gold
03-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Something has to be done and fast. We will have a top 20 team next year and still will have issues packing the Hump.

It’s a complete different crowd. More kids and family’s. The team is interactive with the fans. Ect....

Ari Gold
03-04-2018, 02:17 PM
I attended my share of home games this year.
We can bitch all we want about the students , but season ticket holders that gobble up premium lower level seating are the problem.
There were rows of seats (4-8 seats ) that would be empty game in game out in the same sections every ****ing game.
That’s the issue.
Understandable that 6pm tip times on Tuesday and Wednesday hurt crowds, but no excuse for season ticket holders to miss weekend games.

shannondawg
03-04-2018, 04:05 PM
We were selling out season tickets before Ray and had a waiting list.

The only vacant seats you see at the girls game are reserved seats, but very few on weekends. I had 4 vacant seats next to me all year, didn't mind a whit, moved into one of them and loved having the space.

I hope they don't increase the reserved seating again this year, but would have to admit if it was my business I would probably do so.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 04:25 PM
We were selling out season tickets before Ray and had a waiting list.

The only vacant seats you see at the girls game are reserved seats, but very few on weekends. I had 4 vacant seats next to me all year, didn't mind a whit, moved into one of them and loved having the space.

I hope they don't increase the reserved seating again this year, but would have to admit if it was my business I would probably do so.

No SEC network before Ray. Half ours games werent on TV. People dont have to drive up from Jackson anymore to see State play

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Why would you do so? Basketball team isn't in the red and the university most certainly isn't after getting 40 mill from the SECN alone so if it was your business and you're already making fat bank I would think you'd want the atmosphere to be as helpful for your team as possible instead of trying to make another buck.

RougeDawg
03-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Not to mention the 6 pm game times now due to SEC network. Yes we had plenty before but the majority of our fans that used to attend live 1.5 hrs or greater away from campus. 6 pm game means getting off of work by 4 at the latest for this living the closest. Hell I rarely get away from work before 5-6 pm to make it home in Nola to catch the game on tv, with a 1 hr commute. I can?t imagine having to try to drive 2 hours to and from a game during the week. We never had eeek day crowds during the stands era to begin with. Tv just shows it more frequently now.

Some of you lose all sense of logic and reason when you think about MSU. The downtown of crowds was also during skme rough years in our economy. People did not have as much expendable income to pay for tickets and the petroleum to make games. This things are all factors and all things that are getting better. Winning helps too.

If we don?t have decent crowds next year then there may be something to it but let?s wait and see. The team made great strides this year and people started attending 2nd half of season.

tcdog70
03-04-2018, 05:49 PM
If you have season tickets but game after game nobody sits in your seats, take them away. Cohen has to nut up, and figure out how to put butts in the seats.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Why would you do so? Basketball team isn't in the red and the university most certainly isn't after getting 40 mill from the SECN alone so if it was your business and you're already making fat bank I would think you'd want the atmosphere to be as helpful for your team as possible instead of trying to make another buck.

women's basketball loses money. If we can finally start turning a profit- it would be nice

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 06:05 PM
women's basketball loses money. If we can finally start turning a profit- it would be nice

Doubt it loses money after this season after having 6 straight sellouts. Certainly don't need to leave more open seats from sold season tickets to men's games just to make up money lost from women's hoops when we are sitting in the black.

msstate7
03-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Latest nit projection has us 3-seed.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Doubt it loses money after this season after having 6 straight sellouts. Certainly don't need to leave more open seats from sold season tickets to men's games just to make up money lost from women's hoops when we are sitting in the black.

This may be the 1st year it actually makes money. Which is huge

Liverpooldawg
03-04-2018, 06:25 PM

It loses a LOT of money.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 06:26 PM
Latest nit projection has us 3-seed.

I thought we were borderline out of it?

msstate7
03-04-2018, 06:29 PM
I thought we were borderline out of it?

I said with another loss. Guess I was off though if this projection is accurate

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 06:41 PM
It loses a LOT of money.

Not this year it doesn't

shannondawg
03-04-2018, 07:01 PM

Don't expect an invite to be on my board of directors anytime soon.

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Don't expect an invite to be on my board of directors anytime soon.

You must only like ass kissers. Glad to know I don't fit your criteria.

shannondawg
03-04-2018, 07:35 PM
You must only like ass kissers. Glad to know I don't fit your criteria.

Who doesn't , but I was referring to your socialist attitude.

Liverpooldawg
03-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Not this year it doesn't

Maybe so, but I know what the figure used to be. I doubt the increased attendance covered that.

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Who doesn't , but I was referring to your socialist attitude.

If you call wanting a top 25 basketball atmosphere a socialist attitude then ok

tcdog70
03-04-2018, 08:28 PM
There was a time when Football paid for everything. Basketball is a money maker. But who cares, I would rather lose money and have the Hump go back to a rocking place.

Homedawg
03-04-2018, 08:33 PM

I think he's referring to women's. And hell yes thy are in the red. Now, I'm not saying add more reserved. Just pointing out we are big time in the red on women's hoops.

Homedawg
03-04-2018, 08:34 PM

We are going to lose 4 million on women's hoops. Just what it is. Now I'm willing to take the loss, and ling as we win. I'm good

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 08:34 PM
I think he's referring to women's. And hell yes thy are in the red. Now, I'm not saying add more reserved. Just pointing out we are big time in the red on women's hoops.

Not sure how they could be this year since they average more fans than the men do

RocketDawg
03-04-2018, 08:35 PM

Isn't that true of all women's sports at just about every (maybe every) school in the country?

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 08:37 PM
We are going to lose 4 million on women's hoops. Just what it is. Now I'm willing to take the loss, and ling as we win. I'm good

This sounds like some fancy book work by our athletic department if true. Women average more fans and have to be one of the best draws on tv for wbb so it makes no sense they are losing 4 mill while the men are making money. How?

msstate7
03-04-2018, 08:45 PM
This sounds like some fancy book work by our athletic department if true. Women average more fans and have to be one of the best draws on tv for wbb so it makes no sense they are losing 4 mill while the men are making money. How?

Don?t they practically give tickets away for women games?

Bulldog1
03-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Don?t they practically give tickets away for women games?
Basically. Like $5 a ticket

IMissJack
03-04-2018, 08:54 PM

The problem is that many people around Starkville now choose to go to the women's games because they cannot afford to go to the men's and women's. Women's is cheaper. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it increases the problem because men's crowds go down, thus revenue has suffered.

Homedawg
03-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Not this year it doesn't

You have no clue what you are talking about.

ScoobaDawg
03-04-2018, 10:22 PM

No fancy bookwork needed... tickets for womens games are $5, no BC donation required. Tickets for mens games make A LOT more money because the tickets are 5-10x the cost and require a BC donation...

Coach34
03-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Every woman's sport is a drain on the SEC budget- women's basketball included

Dawg61
03-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Every woman's sport is a drain on the SEC budget- women's basketball included

Well that's unfortunate if true and unfortunate you feel that way considering MSU women's basketball is the best thing about our University sports wise right now.

Coach34
03-04-2018, 11:13 PM
Well that's unfortunate if true and unfortunate you feel that way considering MSU women's basketball is the best thing about our University sports wise right now.

Im glad they are successful. It means we are losing less money on them now

tcdog70
03-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Women's sports have never made money. They never will. Football is the Cash Cow that funds everything. breaking even with Men's basketball is a good thing, if you can do it. TV money is the key that opens all our doors. If you want the HUMP to be rocking again quit putting all the games on TV and win. that is 2 big keys. why do you think Pro Football used to black out home games that were not sell outs.

RougeDawg
03-05-2018, 01:40 PM

I don?t quite understand one particular part of your post. And this isn?t specific to you, it?s an observation of our current society.

C34 stated that women?s sports are a drain on the funding. If you can refute this with facts please do, because the books back up his statement. So therefore C34 simply restated something that should be a known truth. Yet you respond that he feels a certain way? Because he states a fact?

Hell most men?s sports lose money in collegiate athletics. These are all facts, not feelings. So why respond that you are sad that he feels this way about women?s basketball? He said nothing that even included an emotional.

I see this everywhere on twitter and such. If a truth goes against what one hopes or wishes of how something should be, they attempt to attach an emotion to it, in order to alter the truth.

Dawg61
03-05-2018, 02:04 PM
I don?t quite understand one particular part of your post. And this isn?t specific to you, it?s an observation of our current society.

C34 stated that women?s sports are a drain on the funding. If you can refute this with facts please do, because the books back up his statement. So therefore C34 simply restated something that should be a known truth. Yet you respond that he feels a certain way? Because he states a fact?

Hell most men?s sports lose money in collegiate athletics. These are all facts, not feelings. So why respond that you are sad that he feels this way about women?s basketball? He said nothing that even included an emotional.

I see this everywhere on twitter and such. If a truth goes against what one hopes or wishes of how something should be, they attempt to attach an emotion to it, in order to alter the truth.

join the political board already C34 and I have over a decade of posting history with each other

BB30
03-05-2018, 02:58 PM
This is pretty much spot on. Our attendance problem is self inflicted by our athletic department's failure to correct their mistakes.

So when college kids leave football games early because we are getting skull drug or when they don't show up for an 11 am kick off when it is 90 degrees it is the Millennial jerk kids fault. When adults and older fans don't show up to basketball games that matter it is the Administration's fault. Got it.

Dawg61
03-05-2018, 03:15 PM
So when college kids leave football games early because we are getting skull drug or when they don't show up for an 11 am kick off when it is 90 degrees it is the Millennial jerk kids fault. When adults and older fans don't show up to basketball games that matter it is the Administration's fault. Got it.

Administration keeps selling season tickets to people that don't show up instead of focusing on selling them to people that'll make 80% of the games and live within 30 minutes of the Hump. Administration split up the students and alienated all the fans that were buying season tickets for years. So yes it is the administrations fault for not correcting their errors

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Women's sports have never made money. They never will. Football is the Cash Cow that funds everything. breaking even with Men's basketball is a good thing, if you can do it. TV money is the key that opens all our doors. If you want the HUMP to be rocking again quit putting all the games on TV and win. that is 2 big keys. why do you think Pro Football used to black out home games that were not sell outs.

Seems like I read an article once that there was only around 2 to 4 women's basketball programs that actually either break even or made a small profit. UT was one and maybe UConn was the other. Baseball is actually pretty similar in profitability. Pretty much football and the NCAA tournament is where the NCAAs make all of their money for the most part.