PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Hitting

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 08:04 PM
They are absolutely murdering the baseball tonight. Every time I've watched Kentucky under mingione they hit the ball so hard all the way thru the lineup. Even when. They aren't falling they are smashed. Meanwhile we got dinks and bloops if we are lucky. Mostly we just K. I am on the hire Nick wagon. I'd be satisfied with several guys but anyone who would be disappointed if we hired him have not watched his teams play the last two seasons.

The Federalist Engineer
03-02-2018, 08:14 PM
I like this camera angle. This makes ESPN3 look like a Bulgarian soccer telecast

ShotgunDawg
03-02-2018, 08:19 PM
They are absolutely murdering the baseball tonight. Every time I've watched Kentucky under mingione they hit the ball so hard all the way thru the lineup. Even when. They aren't falling they are smashed. Meanwhile we got dinks and bloops if we are lucky. Mostly we just K. I am on the hire Nick wagon. I'd be satisfied with several guys but anyone who would be disappointed if we hired him have not watched his teams play the last two seasons.

I love Ming but he’s got better players than we do. Most of which he did not recruit.

Saying that though, he’d be a great hire.

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 08:22 PM
I love Ming but he’s got better players than we do. Most of which he did not recruit.

Saying that though, he’d be a great hire.

Maybe he's developed them?

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Maybe he's developed them?
Then why didn't we mash the ball like they do when he was here?

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 08:24 PM

We did at times.

msstate7
03-02-2018, 08:24 PM

We mashed in 2016... his last season

The Federalist Engineer
03-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Was Mig the one who recruited the 9 midget all-bunt lineup or was that directed by Cohen?

bulldogcountry1
03-02-2018, 08:42 PM
It never felt like Mingione was very liked by the fans when he was here. He was pretty hot-headed in those earlier seasons, and then he caught a lot of flack coaching 3rd base. That said, he would probably still be my top choice. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen at least 3 seasons of results and recruiting, but I've seen enough. He's still young, but nobody knows him better than Cohen.

I know he is originally from NY. Where is his wife from?

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-02-2018, 08:47 PM
We did at times.

We mashed in 2016... his last season
Most of his time here was in the dead ball era too. I guess it's not fair to judge how those teams hit relative to now.

ETA: especially since Cohen went so far off the deep end recruiting around the dead balls.

Cooterpoot
03-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Y’all don’t have high standards.

Dawg61
03-02-2018, 09:12 PM
He was pretty hot-headed in those earlier seasons

At least he was coaching with the right head

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Y’all don’t have high standards.

Yea since McDonnell and Schlosnagle are anxiously awaiting to leave top 10 programs**

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 09:13 PM
At least he was coaching with the right head

Outstanding

BuckyIsAB****
03-02-2018, 09:46 PM
I heard from a reliable source we are swinging for the fences with the baseball hire. Mingione will be plan C or D if its true

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 09:57 PM
I heard from a reliable source we are swinging for the fences with the baseball hire. Mingione will be plan C or D if its true

We can swing for all the fences we want but the only sure nuff big name hire we have any realistic shot at is Corbin and jay Johnson if you consider him a HR. I'd be very pleased with him but don't call that swinging for the fences. Like I said we can swing all we want for McDonnell, Schlosnagle, and The like but it ain't gonna happen. Tim tadlock would be a great hire to me but he's not a "swinging for fences" hire either.

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 10:01 PM

I'd be very satisfied with any of the following and I think any of them would come... again the only top ten program coach I see us having any realistic shot at would be Corbin and I don't think it's a good chance at all that we could get him. I have no doubt he's #1 on the list and I'm sure Cohen is courting him heavy but after him it's one of these guys I listed below and that is perfectly fine. Make Corbin say no then go to these guys.

Tadlock
Mingione
Butch
Jay Johnson

BuckyIsAB****
03-02-2018, 10:22 PM
I'd be very satisfied with any of the following and I think any of them would come... again the only top ten program coach I see us having any realistic shot at would be Corbin and I don't think it's a good chance at all that we could get him. I have no doubt he's #1 on the list and I'm sure Cohen is courting him heavy but after him it's one of these guys I listed below and that is perfectly fine. Make Corbin say no then go to these guys.

Tadlock
Mingione
Butch
Jay Johnson

Mike Fox was a name that was mentioned

preachermatt83
03-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Mike Fox was a name that was mentioned

I'd def call that swinging for the fences. He is a top 10 coach for sure. First I've heard that name in connection with our search.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-02-2018, 11:19 PM
We can swing for all the fences we want but the only sure nuff big name hire we have any realistic shot at is Corbin and jay Johnson if you consider him a HR. I'd be very pleased with him but don't call that swinging for the fences. Like I said we can swing all we want for McDonnell, Schlosnagle, and The like but it ain't gonna happen. Tim tadlock would be a great hire to me but he's not a "swinging for fences" hire either.

Why would we have a realistic shot at Corbin but not McDonnell/Schlosnagle? Unless he's not making a lot of money, I would think he's in the best situation of all 3.

Homedawg
03-03-2018, 01:13 AM

Accurate. However, c or d isn't as far down as it sounds.

Homedawg
03-03-2018, 01:14 AM
Why would we have a realistic shot at Corbin but not McDonnell/Schlosnagle? Unless he's not making a lot of money, I would think he's in the best situation of all 3.

We aren't getting any of those 3. So move on

Cooterpoot
03-03-2018, 05:48 AM
We aren’t hiring Ming unless John Cohen is a failure as an AD. It’s just not happening otherwise.

The Federalist Engineer
03-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Mike Fox, 60-year-old coach from UNC?

03-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Who recruited all those upperclassmen at Kentucky? Hmmmmm

Meanwhile in Starkville, we have a bunch of freshmen, and our upperclassmen are not power hitters, and our fans expect more. and if they are power hitters, they suck

Poole finally hit a bomb against decent pitching, need Vansau to step up

3rdGen
03-03-2018, 09:41 AM
What?s great about all this baseball coach talk is that it will stretch out through the entire baseball season and we probably won?t know anything because Cohen seems to be a silent working AD(which I like). It will keep us all talking and throwing out names and many many threads will be started about the subject.

BuckyIsAB****
03-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Mike Fox, 60-year-old coach from UNC?

Just what I heard. And Elliot Avent from NC State

The Federalist Engineer
03-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Just for shits and giggles, why don’t we just re-invent college baseball coaching?

(1) forget coaches as the $1M-$2M team “grandfather”
(2) have a program CEO, the “GM” that works for the AD
(3) then have 3 world class baseball instructors from AAA backgrounds

The instructors have a $200K market rate from pro ball numbers I have looked up

The kids would probably welcome getting MLB development from connected guys rather than college professor equivalents. Isn’t the prowess of instruction how the kids pick their elite team?

Think about business students- rather have classes thought by fortune 200 VPs and Presidents or a dude reading about business for 20 years

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
We aren't getting any of those 3. So move on
I'm not saying we are. I'm asking what makes Corbin any different than McDonnell/Schlosnagle.

I do hope Cohen takes a swing at those type guys though. Louisville and TCU are better programs than us currently, but we have the infrastructure (facilities/fan support) that TCU and Louisville will never have if they don't have them with their current runs of success, that's a worthy selling point to at least try in my opinion. Louisville average attendance was 1500 last season.

preachermatt83
03-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Just what I heard. And Elliot Avent from NC State

Elliot avent?? Gosh that would be very underwhelming. That's not a swinging for the fences hire.. like not at all. I'd 20 to 1 rather have 30 other coaches than I had avent. I'd love to hire mike fox though.. I don't care if he's 90

I seen it dawg
03-03-2018, 08:12 PM
What?s great about all this baseball coach talk is that it will stretch out through the entire baseball season and we probably won?t know anything because Cohen seems to be a silent working AD(which I like). It will keep us all talking and throwing out names and many many threads will be started about the subject.

Everyone click some ads

preachermatt83
03-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Delete. Wrong thread.

BuckyIsAB****
03-04-2018, 01:53 AM
Elliot avent?? Gosh that would be very underwhelming. That's not a swinging for the fences hire.. like not at all. I'd 20 to 1 rather have 30 other coaches than I had avent. I'd love to hire mike fox though.. I don't care if he's 90

Hes done pretty good at NC State

Todd4State
03-04-2018, 02:34 AM
Kentucky has a really good hitting coach named Todd Guilliams. We should probably hire him regardless of who our coach is honestly. He should get some of the credit for Kentucky's success.

preachermatt83
03-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Kentucky has a really good hitting coach named Todd Guilliams. We should probably hire him regardless of who our coach is honestly. He should get some of the credit for Kentucky's success.

True. And Cohen has got to let the new guy hire his own staff and not try to push his guys on him.

Todd4State
03-04-2018, 10:38 AM
True. And Cohen has got to let the new guy hire his own staff and not try to push his guys on him.

That's why I am in favor of a full reboot. Get elite coaches that can recruit with MLB scouting ties.

I don't think our staff was pushed on Cann. The timing of the hire complicated things and Cohen didn't have a problem with Cann replacing Coggin with Gautreau. That's where experience as a coach comes in- coaches that have experience know who to hire and who they work well with.