PDA

View Full Version : You know you've lost all care about MLB when...

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 04:32 PM
You see breaking news scroll across the screen about Matt Harvey needing Tommy John surgery, but you don't know Matt Harvey from Paul Harvey.

I'm ashamed in myself and in baseball for not being able to pick Matt Harvey out of a lineup.

Dawg61
10-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Ha this reminds me of the Mets fans they interviewed during the All-Star game in NY done by Matt Harvey asking them about Matt Harvey and they had no clue it was him doing the interview.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0D8V0dCbf8

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Ha this reminds me of the Mets fans they interviewed during the All-Star game in NY done by Matt Harvey asking them about Matt Harvey and they had no clue it was him doing the interview.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V0D8V0dCbf8

Haha that is hilarious. That's the first time I've seen that.

Ironically, he ended up throwing his arm out like that kid at the end said.

MSUDawg4Life
10-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm the same way. I haven't watched a single game this year. I see names of players and have no idea who they are, who they play for or what position they play.

I did attend a Braves game last year with my daughter, but I've lost the overall passion that I used to have for the game.

Dawg61
10-04-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm the same way. I haven't watched a single game this year. I see names of players and have no idea who they are, who they play for or what position they play.

I did attend a Braves game last year with my daughter, but I've lost the overall passion that I used to have for the game.

Play fantasy baseball and watch the MLBNetwork next year and you'll fall back in love with baseball. Lots of people have the assumption that baseball is slowly dying but that's just not true. Look at the overall attendances and the significant increases in television contracts recently and they point to baseball thriving not dying.

Todd4State
10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I have a cousin that lives in Manhatten and is a very casual Yankees fan. One year when the Yankees won the World Series, I asked him if the World Series parade was crazy and he said- "Meh, there's so much going on in New York a lot of people didn't even notice."

With baseball- a lot of your fame comes from what you do in the postseason a lot of times. Harvey has only been around a little over a year on some bad Mets teams. ESPN hasn't caught wind of him to hype him up yet. If the Mets were good, then he would be all over the place.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Play fantasy baseball and watch the MLBNetwork next year and you'll fall back in love with baseball. Lots of people have the assumption that baseball is slowly dying but that's just not true. Look at the overall attendances and the significant increases in television contracts recently and they point to baseball thriving not dying.

I joined fantasy baseball with you guys this year, and still didn't watch an entire game. The season is just too long for me, and the games don't mean enough. If they shortened the season down to about 80 games, I would be more interested. When you play each team in your division 19-20 times or whatever it is, it takes the meaning out of individual games to me.

I understand why some people like it, and I used to love MLB, but the fact that rosters have so much turnover, and the games are longer and slower than ever...I just lost interest over the years. Now I don't watch a single game.

Todd4State
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM

I think the networks hurt attendance at least to a degree. Growing up in Mississipppi, we got the Braves and the Cubs and then whatever game of the week ESPN wanted to show. One year, WDBD showed about 5-6 Cardinals games in Jackson. Those were the first Cardinals broadcasts I have ever watched. Now, I can get FoxSports Midwest on my network plan and watch the Cardinals all year long in Jackson, Mississippi. MLB Network does a great job with everyone in baseball- there's no Yankees/Red Sox bias like there is on ESPN.

But because of that access- it's just so much easier nowadays to watch it on TV for most people than it is to travel to games. And that includes in the cities as well which have the MLB team. But that doesn't mean interest in baseball is waning.

Todd4State
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I joined fantasy baseball with you guys this year, and still didn't watch an entire game. The season is just too long for me, and the games don't mean enough. If they shortened the season down to about 80 games, I would be more interested. When you play each team in your division 19-20 times or whatever it is, it takes the meaning out of individual games to me.

I understand why some people like it, and I used to love MLB, but the fact that rosters have so much turnover, and the games are longer and slower than ever...I just lost interest over the years. Now I don't watch a single game.

The new CBA and the culture of signing your young star players to long term deals in their early twenties has and is going to limit roster turnover big time. I daresay the NFL has as much if not more roster turnover than MLB.

Will James
10-04-2013, 05:15 PM
The new CBA and the culture of signing your young star players to long term deals in their early twenties has and is going to limit roster turnover big time. I daresay the NFL has as much if not more roster turnover than MLB.

And since the NFL is actively seeking to eliminate the attraction of the sport baseball will move back into the forefront of sports fans interest. Our league boosted my already high number of games watched. Extra Innings is great.

I expect the league to be even more competitive next year.

Bo Darville
10-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Ironically, he ended up throwing his arm out like that kid at the end said.

You are as bad as the folks in the video. I can't believe you didn't recognize that kid. It was Will James.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 05:29 PM

I hope so, but the NFL has so few games that they are all very important. MLB will never have that as long as their season stretches from April to November. Again, I understand why people like baseball, but until I start seeing less roster turnover and/or a shorter season...I probably won't be watching.

Like college baseball, where every game in the conference slate is crucial, I wish MLB could incorporate something similar. But when you play divisional opponents 20 times, it is just not important game by game. Imagine MSU playing every team in the SEC 20 times per season. That would take away alot, if not all, of the excitement surrounding a big series with LSU. I know the sports are very different, I am just explaining what prompts me to watch each sport. I wish I could put my finger on something easier that would reel me back in to MLB, but I don't know what it would be other than those few bigger issues.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 05:29 PM
You are as bad as the folks in the video. I can't believe you didn't recognize that kid. It was Will James.

+1

Dawg61
10-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I joined fantasy baseball with you guys this year,

What? No you didn't. What was our league name and your team's name?

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 05:33 PM
What? No you didn't. What was our league name and your team's name?

I thought you made me sign up. Maybe I didn't. Hell, I never checked it if I did. Ha, maybe I thought I did, but didn't.

Dawg61
10-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I thought you made me sign up. Maybe I didn't. Hell, I never checked it if I did. Ha, maybe I thought I did, but didn't.

Haha you declined twice and never signed up. Will James, Dawg@Auburn, Lettuce and I did along with some of Lettuce's buddies and 3 of mine. It was hilarious! I wish you had signed up though cause I would of been on you to keep up. I'll hit you up next year about it on one condition. You have to try and beat us. The league is no bullshit. You have to actually follow baseball and you have to be willing to make trades (I learned this this year) to win it. I thoroughly enjoyed the league! I had the second best overall record but lost right away in the playoffs. Lettuce won the playoffs.

Will James
10-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the league! I had the second best overall record but lost right away in the playoffs. Lettuce won the playoffs.

and Will James had the second half run of the ages.

ETA you had the third best record 61 :)

Dawg61
10-04-2013, 05:51 PM
and Will James had the second half run of the ages.

ETA you had the second best record 61 :)

Haha yes Will James had a nice run but I would of DESTROYED him in the playoffs!

CadaverDawg
10-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Haha you declined twice and never signed up. Will James, Dawg@Auburn, Lettuce and I did along with some of Lettuce's buddies and 3 of mine. It was hilarious! I wish you had signed up though cause I would of been on you to keep up. I'll hit you up next year about it on one condition. You have to try and beat us. The league is no bullshit. You have to actually follow baseball and you have to be willing to make trades (I learned this this year) to win it. I thoroughly enjoyed the league! I had the second best overall record but lost right away in the playoffs. Lettuce won the playoffs.

Ha ok. Let me know

Dawg61
10-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Ha ok. Let me know

Will do! Btw you just committed yourself to watching/paying attention to baseball for EVERY SINGLE DAY next year!! Muahahahahahaha WE GOT YOU NOW!!!! <------- in a Dr. Evil laugh

godlluB
10-04-2013, 07:38 PM
This guy who just retired from the Yankees that everyone made such a big deal out of? Yeah, I think I may have heard that name before. Maybe.

Then again, I don't really watch any professional sports, except maybe the Saints or the Titans if I happen to catch them on TV. The MLB season is about 132 games too long for me to care.

BulldogBear
10-04-2013, 07:57 PM
MLB lost the average American a long time ago I think. Now, it's ridiculous with too many games that it takes $300 to take your kids to go see.

Gone are the days of picking up the kids from school and heading to the ballpark. Average Joe can't afford it.

Will James
10-04-2013, 08:01 PM
MLB lost the average American a long time ago I think. Now, it's ridiculous with too many games that it takes $300 to take your kids to go see.

Gone are the days of picking up the kids from school and heading to the ballpark. Average Joe can't afford it.

I'm guessing baseball is the cheapest ticket of the sports. You can usually get decent seats for Reg Season games around 20 bucks.

BulldogBear
10-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm guessing baseball is the cheapest ticket of the sports. You can usually get decent seats for Reg Season games around 20 bucks.

Average cost for a family of four to go to a baseball game is $300. I didn't make it clear I was talking about the entire cost of going, not just the tickets.