PDA

View Full Version : Bracketmatrix shows me if we beat Tenn- we are in the NCAA Tourney

Coach34
02-25-2018, 08:49 PM
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

They list all their rankings and projections- but when you look at their last 4 out and next 4 out- of the 8 teams- we have the highest seed rankings of all 8 teams. They have us listed as basically the 7th team out today- but of all those teams- we have the highest seed average? Cmom mane

We beat Tennessee- we are gonna be dancing in March

preachermatt83
02-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Your twitter links struggling.

Coach34
02-25-2018, 08:54 PM
Try that

preachermatt83
02-25-2018, 08:55 PM
Try that

That got it.

Covercorner2
02-25-2018, 08:58 PM

They list all their rankings and projections- but when you look at their last 4 out and next 4 out- of the 8 teams- we have the highest seed rankings of all 8 teams. They have us listed as basically the 7th team out today- but of all those teams- we have the highest seed average? Cmom mane

Lunardi's newest update has us in the first four out. Supposed to be posted tomorrow, but ESPN's Instagram just posted a snapshot 15 minutes ago.

Quaoarsking
02-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Agreed we're "in" if we beat Tennessee, but we're back out if we lose to LSU, and if we beat both and go 0-fer in St. Louis I'm going to be nervous as hell.

Bulldog1
02-25-2018, 09:04 PM
Lunardi's newest update has us in the first four out. Supposed to be posted tomorrow, but ESPN's Instagram just posted a snapshot 15 minutes ago.

Awesome. Just keep winning, 1 game at a time

confucius say
02-25-2018, 10:09 PM

I?ll add, after tom brackets come out we will be higher than 7th team out on bracket matrix. Well over half of their brackets have not been updated.

msstate7
02-25-2018, 10:44 PM
Since state has gone MIA in postseason play, I have quit studying bracketology. Do the consensus last 4 in usually get in? If I were on the committee, I think I would leave those out just for hell of it (haha). I like taking the opposite view than most though

Dawg61
02-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Agreed we're "in" if we beat Tennessee, but we're back out if we lose to LSU, and if we beat both and go 0-fer in St. Louis I'm going to be nervous as hell.

I am sticking to we need to go 3-0 to get in. If our first loss is in the SECT semis we'll get in and even then I will say it's a first four game. We get to the SECT Champ game at 4-0 they'll put us around a 10-11th seed. We win the SECT we might get all the way up to a 9th seed and some 1 seed is going to be pissed.

Lord McBuckethead
02-26-2018, 09:06 AM
What I do not get, and have never agreed with, how are you the "next 4 out" and project as an 11 seed? Shouldn't you be a 16 seed?

PMDawg
02-26-2018, 09:10 AM
LSU? What a joke!

What is their RPI these days? It's bound to be around 80. If our RPI and SOS are keeping us out, in what universe could they be in over us?

klong-dog
02-26-2018, 09:11 AM
They usually save 12-16 seeds as mid majors.

dickiedawg
02-26-2018, 09:16 AM
The bottom seeds are from one-bid leagues or bid-stealers that won their automatic bid but aren?t good enough to be considered for at-large spots.

smootness
02-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Look at the next column, where they list the number of brackets each team is in. That's why. And this certainly does not show that if we beat UT we're in.

smootness
02-26-2018, 09:28 AM
What I do not get, and have never agreed with, how are you the "next 4 out" and project as an 11 seed? Shouldn't you be a 16 seed?

The last at-large teams are always given 11, 12, sometimes 13 seeds. Seeds 13-16 are basically always automatic qualifiers who would not have gotten in without winning their conference tournament. Which is why it makes sense. The teams who did make it in as at-large teams, even if the last to get in, are better than those who would not have made it in as an at-large.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-26-2018, 09:40 AM
If we win these last 2 games we will go into the SEC tourney on the right side of the bubble. 1 win in St. Louis should be enough but 2 would erase any doubt. 1st things 1st have to handle business tomorrow.

AlmostPositive
02-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Seems to me there's a sort of Stockholm syndrome sympathy for the idea that we don't deserve to be in the NCAAT because of a sub-mediocre early schedule.

Here's newsflash for anyone in this group: Your schedule doesn't determine anything at all about how good your team is. Winning and losing does. You are clinging to a popular fiction if you buy the idea that other teams with lesser bodies of work should go ahead of us because they bravely lost to higher quality teams in the non-conference phase.

RPI and SOS have fully factored in everything related to the schedule. You're double dipping, illogically, to say RPI SOS AND bad non-con games are working against us. The selection committee may be thinking that way, but they need to ask themselves what their goal is in selecting the field.

RougeDawg
02-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Seems to me there's a sort of Stockholm syndrome sympathy for the idea that we don't deserve to be in the NCAAT because of a sub-mediocre early schedule.

Here's newsflash for anyone in this group: Your schedule doesn't determine anything at all about how good your team is. Winning and losing does. You are clinging to a popular fiction if you buy the idea that other teams with lesser bodies of work should go ahead of us because they bravely lost to higher quality teams in the non-conference phase.

RPI and SOS have fully factored in everything related to the schedule. You're double dipping, illogically, to say RPI SOS AND bad non-con games are working against us. The selection committee may be thinking that way, but they need to ask themselves what their goal is in selecting the field.

Great post. May need to explain Stockholm Syndrome to the board. Common sense is not so common these days.

Quaoarsking
02-26-2018, 10:04 AM

There's no question in my mind that we deserve to go. I just maintain a healthy skepticism that the Committee will put us in unless we leave them no choice by winning these next 2 and at least 1, maybe 2, in St. Louis.

AlmostPositive
02-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Great post. May need to explain Stockholm Syndrome to the board. Common sense is not so common these days.

You are probably right. My notion of it, which may not be exactly right, is coming under the spell of your oppressor, like kidnap victims accepting the legitimacy of their captors.

Cutting to the chase, if we beat TN and LSU and don't get an invitation, the fix will have been in.

Quaoarsking
02-26-2018, 10:12 AM
You are probably right. My notion of it, which may not be exactly right, is coming under the spell of your oppressor, like kidnap victims accepting the legitimacy of their captors.

Cutting to the chase, if we beat TN and LSU and don't get an invitation, the fix will have been in.

Major conference teams with RPIs around 50 get left out every year.

MedDawg
02-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Yes, and I'd like to add it's stupid that our RPI would be better than it is now if we scheduled Duke and North Carolina and lost by 50. The RPI is 75% scheduling (ours and our opponents) and only 25% our wins/losses. Ridiculous!

Plus, as I pointed out in another thread, if we schedule #150 teams instead of #300 teams, our RPI would be much much better, but the #150 teams are just as beatable as the #300 teams. There should be some sort of maximum RPI penalty, so that all teams worse than #150 are treated the same in the RPI.

smootness
02-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Yes, and I'd like to add it's stupid that our RPI would be better than it is now if we scheduled Duke and North Carolina and lost by 50. The RPI is 75% scheduling (ours and our opponents) and only 25% our wins/losses. Ridiculous!

Plus, as I pointed out in another thread, if we schedule #150 teams instead of #300 teams, our RPI would be much much better, but the #150 teams are just as beatable as the #300 teams. There should be some sort of maximum RPI penalty, so that all teams worse than #150 are treated the same in the RPI.

There seems to be a disconnect. I think some are saying, 'We will be in if we do X,' when what they mean is, 'I think we should be in if we do X.'

And I think some are saying, 'No, it is not a definite that we would be in,' and some are hearing, 'No, we shouldn't get in.'

The bottom line is, the selection committee will determine who gets in, and they have no set criteria. So none of us know what will happen. Period. And yes, RPI factors in SOS. You can say that is dumb all you want, but it is a fact, and the committee obviously looks at RPI. They also, however, look at other things. And even though SOS is factored into RPI calculations, the reality is that we have seen in the past that if teams have similar RPIs and similar resumes, the committee gives more credit to those who scheduled tougher in the OOC. That is simply a fact. You can disagree with it all you want, but it is true.

None of this is Stockholm Syndrome. I'm not claiming the selection committee to be pure and great and always logical. I'm just telling you what I've seen them do in the past. I obviously hope like crazy we get in. And I think that if we win the next 2, we will deserve to get in. But I don't think it is a guarantee at that point that we will get in.

Quaoarsking
02-26-2018, 10:43 AM
None of the mock brackets factor in any bid-stealers at this point, but there are bound to be at least a couple. If we head to St. Louis as a "last 4 in," we may find ourselves the odd man out if the enough conference tournaments have upset winners.

Just ask St. Mary's from the year Stans and Varnado won the SECT. They thought they were in, but were suddenly out when we won our tournament. A team (or 2 or 3 or 4) finds themselves in that situation every year.

smootness
02-26-2018, 10:55 AM
None of the mock brackets factor in any bid-stealers at this point, but there are bound to be at least a couple. If we head to St. Louis as a "last 4 in," we may find ourselves the odd man out if the enough conference tournaments have upset winners.

Just ask St. Mary's from the year Stans and Varnado won the SECT. They thought they were in, but were suddenly out when we won our tournament. A team (or 2 or 3 or 4) finds themselves in that situation every year.

This is a great point. The projected brackets right now are assuming that no teams who would not otherwise get in will win their conference tournament. The bubble can only shrink from here, it won't expand.

If WKU wins the CUSA tourney, for example, they take one of those spots, as Middle Tennessee is likely getting in either way.

ETA: Lunardi now has us as the #4 team out. I would imagine beating Tennessee would probably move us in for his projection. And then further in with a win over LSU. But I still think a first game loss in the SECT would put us right on the edge.

AlmostPositive
02-26-2018, 11:17 AM
There is what the selection committee will do, and then there is what they should do. If they see their mission as Select-NCAA-Teams-And-Shame-Under-shechedulers, then maybe they can justify leaving us out.

Quaoarsking
02-26-2018, 01:06 PM
http://www.bracketmatrix.com

Updated again. Now the 4th team out but not in on many brackets

ETA: it would be nice if the site would mark the first four out on each bracket somehow