PDA

View Full Version : Athletic facility projects

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 11:16 AM
A few days ago, somebody posted an article about with quotations by Cohen about facility projects at MSU. I think it was from the Tupelo newspaper.

In addition to baseball, he mentioned new dressing rooms for football in the NW corner of the stadium. Anbody know if this is ongoing, or just in the planning stages. I know there's a tunnel there (probalby can't see if if you sit on the west side) but not sure what's beyond the tunnel. Once they complete this project, what would the Seal building be used for?

He also mentioned refurbishment/updating the Hump ... any idea what the plans are?

DogsofAnarchy
02-25-2018, 11:45 AM
They are going to refurbish the Seal Building also. I heard it was going to be gutted and completely overhauled. Not sure of the accuracy but it came from a former player who is a member of the club.

DCdawg
02-25-2018, 11:49 AM
They are going to refurbish the Seal Building also. I heard it was going to be gutted and completely overhauled. Not sure of the accuracy but it came from a former player who is a member of the club.

M-Club or new Seal Building?

http://www.djournal.com/sports/msu-s-cohen-keeping-his-focus-on-the-future/article_d943f73e-7e05-59bd-bd9f-37fe81526b0e.html

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2018, 11:59 AM

Former players normally don’t know much.

Wouldn’t make much sense to spend a ton of money on the Seal Club since the actual goal is to close in the stadium in some capacity over the next 5 or so years.

PassInterference
02-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Close in the stadium within 5 years?

KOdawg1
02-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Close in the stadium within 5 years?

we don't need to add anymore seats

BrunswickDawg
02-25-2018, 01:11 PM
It?s the suites that are needed. If we expand DWS again, you will see the lower bowl go all chairbacks to even out expansion - I would bet our market studies tell us our sweet spot on capacity is about 68-70k, going chairback would about do that.

Lance Harbor
02-25-2018, 01:14 PM
If they just went straight up with a wall of suites/boxes on M Club side that would be pretty awesome.

It?s the suites that are needed. If we expand DWS again, you will see the lower bowl go all chairbacks to even out expansion - I would bet our market studies tell us our sweet spot on capacity is about 68-70k, going chairback would about do that.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Bowl it in... move dressing room to Northwest corner.. south end zone lofts or hotel...recruiting/convention center, lower level chairbacks/loge....implode Dorman and build parking garage/transportation shuttle hub...upgrade west side press box and add Suites ... 100% chairbacks lower level...free wifi in all areas of stadium... upgrade concessions and restroom facilities...

Mimi's Babies
02-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Lets clean up the East side first.

Steakonastick
02-25-2018, 02:27 PM
States locker room will now be under the north end zone starting in 2018. The current visitors locker room will be converted into the recruiting lounge. The visitors will move to states current locker room.

Steakonastick
02-25-2018, 02:28 PM
And they are also renovating the east club level.

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 02:30 PM
States locker room will now be under the north end zone starting in 2018. The current visitors locker room will be converted into the recruiting lounge. The visitors will move to states current locker room.

Is putting the visitors in our current locker room a permanent thing? I think they should just leave it as is.

msbulldog
02-25-2018, 02:30 PM
Bowl it in... move dressing room to Northwest corner.. south end zone lofts or hotel...recruiting/convention center, lower level chairbacks/loge....implode Dorman and build parking garage/transportation shuttle hub...upgrade west side press box and add Suites ... 100% chairbacks lower level...free wifi in all areas of stadium... upgrade concessions and restroom facilities...

Hey I took Plant Science from No-till Merwine in Dorman 45 years ago. It's sacred*****

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 02:31 PM
And they are also renovating the east club level.

Yeah, and I'm not sure what they're doing. I've been there since it opened and don't see any improvements that need to be made. I think they could spend that money better elsewhere.

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Hey I took Plant Science from No-till Merwine in Dorman 45 years ago. It's sacred*****

I've never really understood the dislike for Dorman. Way back when, around 2000 and before, we tailgated in Lot 11, which is just outside and across Lee Drive from the south end zone (what is now The Junction). Dorman had the nearest restrooms and served us well.

Steakonastick
02-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Is putting the visitors in our current locker room a permanent thing? I think they should just leave it as is.

Yes it is permanent. The team will enter thru the gridiron club like the cowboys.

Steakonastick
02-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Yeah, and I'm not sure what they're doing. I've been there since it opened and don't see any improvements that need to be made. I think they could spend that money better elsewhere.

I think the biggest thing is making pouring rooms like the scoreboard club.

Bully13
02-25-2018, 02:43 PM
I would vote to have the stadium bowled in.

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 02:46 PM
I think the biggest thing is making pouring rooms like the scoreboard club.

What is a "pouring room"? A place to mix illegal-on-campus alcoholic drinks?

Goldendawg
02-25-2018, 03:58 PM

What happens to the wooden carved lockers in the current locker room ( may be long gone or need replacement now)? My family donated one in my late Father's name when they were originally placed there. His was in the asst coaches' dressing room. Are they still in use? Haven't been to an open house in the home locker room in many years. Really interested in knowing if they are still in use????

Bully13
02-25-2018, 04:08 PM
What is a "pouring room"? A place to mix illegal-on-campus alcoholic drinks?

I want to know what a pouring room is too

ShotgunDawg
02-25-2018, 04:50 PM

Who said it had to be seats?

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Who said it had to be seats?

It would be nice from a noise standpoint. There should be some sort of acoustic study to determine the best shape to direct the crowd noise onto the field. It'd probably be some sort of parabola with those sitting near the top literally hanging by a thread. :)

Having all chairbacks might reduce the demand for certain premium areas, like the club levels. I suspect there are quite a few that don't care all that much about the club amenities, but like the comfortable seats enough to pay the premium. Having all chairbacks would certainly look a lot better though.

gravedigger
02-25-2018, 05:42 PM
I've never really understood the dislike for Dorman. Way back when, around 2000 and before, we tailgated in Lot 11, which is just outside and across Lee Drive from the south end zone (what is now The Junction). Dorman had the nearest restrooms and served us well.

It?s brick makes it look like a 1970?s design and just doesn?t mesh with the more traditional designs. I think it just needs an exterior renovation.

RocketDawg
02-25-2018, 05:45 PM
It?s brick makes it look like a 1970?s design and just doesn?t mesh with the more traditional designs. I think it just needs an exterior renovation.

Well, that's certainly true and should be possible for not a lot of money.

They'd have to do something with the Alumni Center too ... that place looks terrible.

Lord McBuckethead
02-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Well they need to combo a new MClub building with a new Dorman. Like always, hire a local architect.

BorneDawg
02-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Me too but not that many years.... Only 20 yr ago

MedDawg
02-26-2018, 10:31 AM
A few days ago, somebody posted an article about with quotations by Cohen about facility projects at MSU. I think it was from the Tupelo newspaper.

In addition to baseball, he mentioned new dressing rooms for football in the NW corner of the stadium. Anbody know if this is ongoing, or just in the planning stages. I know there's a tunnel there (probalby can't see if if you sit on the west side) but not sure what's beyond the tunnel. Once they complete this project, what would the Seal building be used for?

He also mentioned refurbishment/updating the Hump ... any idea what the plans are?

We should replace the Seal Building with a much larger building with apartments (or a hotel) like the new Left Field Lofts. If they looked out over the field and The Junction, they would command some premium prices! I believe we have talked about something like that in the past and I believe OM has, too. Now that we are trying it out with the Left Field Lofts, we will have a better idea how put it in Davis Wade.

Of course, we would need to plan it so we could still someday be able to add additional seating in the South Endzone, at least a lower level. I don't think a South Endzone hotel would constrain our future expansions too much because we would still have the ability to finish the upper decks all the way around on the North End. That plus a South Endzone lower level should be more seating than we would need for decades.

Tbonewannabe
02-26-2018, 10:36 AM
I want to know what a pouring room is too

I am guessing it is referring to the end zone "locker room" that has an island with a sink in the middle of it. People that rent the seats have a locker that they can put anything they want into it on Friday before the game. You can then go in and pour whatever is in your locker into a cup. The only rule is no soft sided coolers I think since they might leak. I have used my friend's ticket a couple of times and he usually has a bottle of Jack or whatever and the drink machine is directly beside the doorway into the locker room.

Jack Lambert
02-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Did they put in a new sound system in Davis Wade?

Buddy
02-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Yes it is permanent. The team will enter thru the gridiron club like the cowboys.

Haven't heard this about the players entering DWS through the Gridiron Club... is that gonna really happen? Would be awesome if true.

mstatefan91
02-26-2018, 12:14 PM
It cracks me up how many of you go after Dorman without realizing how many research labs are in that building.

DawgFromOxford
02-26-2018, 12:25 PM
I think it just needs an exterior renovation.

Wrong. The whole building needs to be renovated all the way through. Inside and out.

DawgFromOxford
02-26-2018, 12:26 PM
It cracks me up how many of you go after Dorman without realizing how many research labs are in that building.

Research labs on the inside don't keep it from looking like trash on the outside

mstatefan91
02-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Research labs on the inside don't keep it from looking like trash on the outside

Agreed but gotta have the money and space to replace those labs in the ugly building before you can just knock it down

Lord McBuckethead
02-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Or build a new one somewhere else, demo Dorman and build new classroom building that is more of an appropriate backdrop to our stadium.

mstatefan91
02-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Or build a new one somewhere else, demo Dorman and build new classroom building that is more of an appropriate backdrop to our stadium.

Ok, again money.. and now you've added on the new responsibility of coming up with parking for it.. it just isn't as simple as some of you guys want to believe.. I agree that the building needs to be replaced, but I also know that it probably isn't happening anytime soon.

Howboutdemdogs
02-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Update The Leo Seal building, bowl in the South end, new entrance / exits to the campus for better traffic flow, let the electronic ribbon stretch the entire length of the upper deck, and put a parking garage somewhere (not a parking lot) to facilitate more people. That's my wish list.

As for the ribbon, keep a section of live game stats during the game up at all times. Don't have them run in conjunction with the Scores.

jacksondawg
02-26-2018, 02:42 PM
I think a good spot for parking garage could be put at the corner of bully Blvd and stone Blvd

Jack Lambert
02-26-2018, 03:02 PM
Update The Leo Seal building, bowl in the South end, new entrance / exits to the campus for better traffic flow, let the electronic ribbon stretch the entire length of the upper deck, and put a parking garage somewhere (not a parking lot) to facilitate more people. That's my wish list.

As for the ribbon, keep a section of live game stats during the game up at all times. Don't have them run in conjunction with the Scores.

How would you bowl in with out removing the Leo Seal Building?

ghostofjackie
02-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Can we not just go ahead and address the elephant in the room, which is the complete demo of Dorman?

mstatefan91
02-26-2018, 04:40 PM
Can we not just go ahead and address the elephant in the room, which is the complete demo of Dorman?

Did you even read the thread?

RocketDawg
02-26-2018, 07:36 PM
How would you bowl in with out removing the Leo Seal Building?

You'd have to sort of square off the south end zone, and that would look terrible. You could demolish the existing building, and incorporate a new building as part of the design, probably with premium seating. But why is it even needed with the dressing rooms moving to the NW corner? Isn't that all it's there for?

Florida State has a really nice upscale restaurant in one of their end zones, but they also have a culinary school. Don't know if we do or not but that might be something to consider.

Probably the best thing would be to have premium seating from the existing Club Level all the way around to where it meets the current west side, but that might be too much premium seating.

RocketDawg
02-26-2018, 07:42 PM
I think a good spot for parking garage could be put at the corner of bully Blvd and stone Blvd

Are there any parking garages anywhere on campus? I don't remember seeing one. If not, it must be the biggest school anywhere without them. Even UAH has parking garages. Maybe a little more space-limited than MSU though?

jacksondawg
02-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Are there any parking garages anywhere on campus? I don't remember seeing one. If not, it must be the biggest school anywhere without them. Even UAH has parking garages. Maybe a little more space-limited than MSU though?

The only parking garage on campus is underneath ol main there is a two level one that cost $3 an hour to park in.

RocketDawg
02-26-2018, 08:15 PM
The only parking garage on campus is underneath ol main there is a two level one that cost $3 an hour to park in.

They probably don't get a lot of business. But ... I think parking at games this year is $25 per. That's about $6/hour if you don't tailgate, and it costs a lot just to be able to get a parking pass.

DawgFromOxford
02-27-2018, 12:09 AM
The parking lot that's behind Barnes and Noble and next to the stadium seems like an ideal location for a parking garage.