PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Warm February Edition

BeastMan
02-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Fish for lunch today and probably dinner later. My parents are cooking for us tomorrow night but methinks they really just want to see the grands so they're bribing us with a meal. Shame it's raining because I'm sure the fish are actively feeding.

SpeckleDawg
02-23-2018, 07:59 PM
Stocked up on hops. Just put some stuffed goose breasts on the grill along with some sausage. Red potatoes and black eyed peas cooking inside.

https://s14.postimg.org/7phvh30q9/B53_EEADA-46_F2-4_E7_F-9252-7_A490954593_C.jpg

Howboutdemdogs
02-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Brining a pork loin, that will seasoned tomorrow night. Will stuff with cream cheese, chives, and cooked bacon. It will be smoked on Sunday.

SpeckleDawg
02-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Shrimp tacos & margaritas.

https://s14.postimg.org/80hvdjlht/CC0029_EB-9_C58-4_A0_B-93_BE-0_EE6_B086_AFD4.jpg

BeastMan
02-24-2018, 08:45 PM
My dad did porterhouses and chicken breast. Ice cream and Girl Scout cookies for dessert

https://s26.postimg.org/9adiubmcp/DBD8_A174-5_CDB-447_E-_BA33-2_A8_F1_BCBCC31.jpg

BeastMan
02-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Grabbed a bottle of vino on the way home. Night cap is a nice glass of cab

BeardoMSU
02-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Ok, I know this is midweek, but I had to share.

I bought Fergus Henderson's cookbook "The Complete Nose to Tail" years ago. I even ate at his restaurant St. John's when I was in London back in 2013; it was amazing.

However, one of his most famous dishes is roasted bone marrow. This dish literally changed the culinary landscape. Tons of chefs are rippin' it off, and you now see bone marrow on menus everywhere. For some reason I didn't order it when I was there, nor tried it anywhere else, but I finally got around to making it myself tonight.

I picked up about seven 3inch tall beef marrow bones from the grocery (all cost less than $1.50). The recipe couldn't be simpler: put the bones on a tray and roast in the oven at 450 until they're bubbly. The salad is just parsley, thinly shaved shallots, a few capers, lemon juice, and olive oil. When the marrow is done, scoop out with a butter knife and smear over some good toasted bread, sprinkle some flaky salt over it, then drape some of the salad over the top.

Holy hell....Delicious doesn't really do it justice. I've seen bone marrow referred to as "butter of the Gods" numerous times. That's about right. Do y'all's self a favor and try it out.

BeastMan
02-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Ok, I know this is midweek, but I had to share.

I bought Fergus Henderson's cookbook "The Complete Nose to Tail" years ago. I even ate at his restaurant St. John's when I was in London back in 2013; it was amazing.

However, one of his most famous dishes is roasted bone marrow. This dish literally changed the culinary landscape. Tons of chefs are rippin' it off, and you now see bone marrow on menus everywhere. For some reason I didn't order it when I was there, nor tried it anywhere else, but I finally got around to making it myself tonight.

I picked up about seven 3inch tall beef marrow bones from the grocery (all cost less than $1.50). The recipe couldn't be simpler: put the bones on a tray and roast in the oven at 450 until they're bubbly. The salad is just parsley, thinly shaved shallots, a few capers, lemon juice, and olive oil. When the marrow is done, scoop out with a butter knife and smear over some good toasted bread, sprinkle some flaky salt over it, then drape some of the salad over the top.

Holy hell....Delicious doesn't really do it justice. I've seen bone marrow referred to as "butter of the Gods" numerous times. That's about right. Do y'all's self a favor and try it out.

Me and my dad were just talking about marrow the other day. You might have talked me in to it.

BeardoMSU
02-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Me and my dad were just talking about marrow the other day. You might have talked me in to it.

Do it, dude.

Warning though, it's not the prettiest thing in the world to look at when you scoop it out of the bone, but fear not, lol. It's dee-ri-shush. You're gonna cover it up with the parsley salad anyways, so no biggie.