PDA

View Full Version : Some more geek stuff to track

curmudgeon
02-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Last week we had a 9% chance of making the tournament. Beating A&M raised it to 22%.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/mississippi-state-bulldogs/bracketology

msstate7
02-22-2018, 12:30 PM
I suppose we pull for these teams Saturday?

Bama over ark (played bama 2 times)
Auburn over Florida
Mizzou over Kentucky
LSU over Georgia (LSU still road game on schedule)
aTm vs vandy?

This correct?

Anyone have a national pull for list?

Bulldog1
02-22-2018, 12:35 PM

aTm vs vandy?

This correct?

I think we should pull for Vandy to knock aTm off.

Covercorner2
02-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Bama over ark (played bama 2 times)
Auburn over Florida
Mizzou over Kentucky
LSU over Georgia (LSU still road game on schedule)
aTm vs vandy?

This correct?

We really need Ole Miss to beat UT. If that happens, we have a good chance at finishing 2nd in the SEC. People can say conference standings don't matter, but IDGAF, they are not leaving us out if we finish 2nd in the SEC.

Bulldog1
02-22-2018, 12:38 PM
We really need Ole Miss to beat UT. If that happens, we have a good chance at finishing 2nd in the SEC. People can say conference standings don't matter, but IDGAF, they are not leaving us out if we finish 2nd in the SEC.
That’s right, and I’ll argue it with anyone on this board. It’s a fact!

MetEdDawg
02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
I think we should pull for Vandy to knock aTm off.

I don't. Vandy is a bad loss no matter what they do. The better TAMU looks the better we look. At this point we need to be pulling for things in our favor and quality wins over quality opponents will do that.

Vandy won't get an RPI under 100, but if TAMU could stay in the 20s that would really be a feather in our cap come resume comparison time.

Covercorner2
02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
I don't. Vandy is a bad loss no matter what they do. The better TAMU looks the better we look. At this point we need to be pulling for things in our favor and quality wins over quality opponents will do that.

Vandy won't get an RPI under 100, but if TAMU could stay in the 20s that would really be a feather in our cap come resume comparison time.

All that is true, but you are not considering that if TAMU stumbles, we can take their spot.

It's catch 22. We want teams we beat to win, but at the same time, we want bubble teams to lose, and A&M is trending towards a bubble team.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
02-22-2018, 12:43 PM
We really need Ole Miss to beat UT.

Closet rebel.**

Bulldog1
02-22-2018, 12:45 PM

But it will come closer to giving us aTm’s spot

MetEdDawg
02-22-2018, 12:46 PM

No. We need Tennessee to be a strong win.

I think people on this board don't understand what looks good to the committee. A bunch of above average wins isn't impressive. Do we want a win over a Top 20 RPI team, or to make our loss against Ole Miss go from a loss to a 100 RPI team to a loss to a 90 RPI team?

At this point you need things in your favor. Ole Miss loss is going to look not so great no matter what we do. So if they beat Tennessee, Tennessee may drop above 20 in the RPI. Why would we want that? We want Tennessee to be a Top 20 RPI win. If they lose to us and Ole Miss, they won't be that.

We need to be thinking about what's best for us. Ole Miss and Vandy aren't good. Those losses look bad no matter what happens. We want our wins to look as good as possible at this point because no matter what Ole Miss and Vandy do, those will be bad losses.

Covercorner2
02-22-2018, 12:49 PM
No. We need Tennessee to be a strong win.

I think people on this board don't understand what looks good to the committee. A bunch of above average wins isn't impressive. Do we want a win over a Top 20 RPI team, or to make our loss against Ole Miss go from a loss to a 100 RPI team to a loss to a 90 RPI team?

At this point you need things in your favor. Ole Miss loss is going to look not so great no matter what we do. So if they beat Tennessee, Tennessee may drop above 20 in the RPI. Why would we want that? We want Tennessee to be a Top 20 RPI win. If they lose to us and Ole Miss, they won't be that.

We need to be thinking about what's best for us. Ole Miss and Vandy aren't good. Those losses look bad no matter what happens. We want our wins to look as good as possible at this point because no matter what Ole Miss and Vandy do, those will be bad losses.

A win against UT is a Q1 win regardless of what they do against Ole Miss, right? They would have to drop out of the top 50. Isn't that the threshold?

You also completely ignored my post about finishing 2nd in the SEC. You can say that's not important, but that just doesn't make sense.

Bulldog1
02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Top 30 at home is Q1

MetEdDawg
02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
If we win out and grab one in the tournament we are in no matter what TAMU does. And we aren't sure that TAMU is the spot to take. We should want Florida out. I want my wins over tournament teams. That makes us look better. The committee looks for reasons why you want a team in. Having solid wins over Bama, TAMU, Mizzou, Arkansas, and hopefully Tennessee is a big feather in our cap. That would be 5 wins over NCAA Tournament teams.

That's pretty solid for a bubble team. We didn't beat up on the bottom of the league. We will have taken some wins from some NCAA Tournament teams.

smootness
02-22-2018, 01:01 PM
But it will come closer to giving us aTm?s spot

That's not how this works. The SEC doesn't have a set number of spots and they're just switching conference teams in and out.

@A&M is our best win of the year. We do not want that to become anything lesser than it is right now. Good wins are far more important for us than any 'spot' in the SEC or any marginal improvement in Vandy's RPI.

Covercorner2
02-22-2018, 01:06 PM
That's not how this works. The SEC doesn't have a set number of spots and they're just switching conference teams in and out.

@A&M is our best win of the year. We do not want that to become anything lesser than it is right now. Good wins are far more important for us than any 'spot' in the SEC or any marginal improvement in Vandy's RPI.

A&M continuing to lose could remove them as a bubble team, regardless of conference. The less bubble teams we have to compete with, the better. Like I said, it's a catch 22 because you want A&M to win to help RPI, but you also want the bubble to weaken. There are two sides.

Also, if we win out, we will probably at least have one more better win than the A&M one.

Bulldog1
02-22-2018, 01:12 PM

Yes, but experts say this is an 8 bid league. Here we are back at conf standings- they won’t skip us to give aTm a tourney ‘spot’

smootness
02-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Yes, but experts say this is an 8 bid league. Here we are back at conf standings- they won’t skip us to give aTm a tourney ‘spot’

When they say that, they mean there are 8 teams they currently project in. There is no such thing as a league that has a set number of spots. A&M dropping hurts us, it doesn't help.

smootness
02-22-2018, 01:17 PM
A&M continuing to lose could remove them as a bubble team, regardless of conference. The less bubble teams we have to compete with, the better. Like I said, it's a catch 22 because you want A&M to win to help RPI, but you also want the bubble to weaken. There are two sides.

Also, if we win out, we will probably at least have one more better win than the A&M one.

The two biggest knocks against us are our OOC schedule and our lack of a lot of really good wins. Having one of those two things weaken further with A&M dropping does not help us, no matter how many teams are on the bubble. It hurts us.

Covercorner2
02-22-2018, 01:33 PM
The two biggest knocks against us are our OOC schedule and our lack of a lot of really good wins. Having one of those two things weaken further with A&M dropping does not help us, no matter how many teams are on the bubble. It hurts us.

If we win out, we will have another really good win (against UT). That helps us. So does other bubble teams losing.

smootness
02-22-2018, 01:37 PM
If we win out, we will have another really good win (against UT). That helps us. So does other bubble teams losing.

Sure it does. But we need all the good wins we can get. Other bubble teams losing may help, but one single team doesn't help us all that much. It is better for us to have A&M win than to have them lose.

Covercorner2
02-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Sure it does. But we need all the good wins we can get. Other bubble teams losing may help, but one single team doesn't help us all that much. It is better for us to have A&M win than to have them lose.

If A&M loses out, they will still have an RPI of 53. If they lose 2/3, they will still have an RPI of 40. It would still be a "good" win on the road, yet the committee would have a choice to make between us. I think they make take us in that first scenario for a number of reasons, including head to head.

If A&M starts winning, it's still a "good" win, yet they will be in the tourney and one less spot for us.

A&M would have to drop out of the top 75 for that to not be a Q1 win. That's not happening regardless of what they do.

Ari Gold
02-22-2018, 01:49 PM
BPI > RPI

That?s the one to follow. BPI is 57 . Keep winning that will be in the low 40s come seasons end .