PDA

View Full Version : What do we have to do to get into the Big Dance?

Jeb Busch Lite
02-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Commentators seemed to think we need to win out and win 2 in the SECT to be on the bubble (which I think is horseshit.) I think if we win out, take 1 or 2 in the tourney then we should be in. If we don't beat a good Tennessee team at the Hump, then I think we'd probably need to make the semi's of the SECT. Lose to USCe or LSU, and I think we'd have to win the whole thing to be in.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2018, 09:14 PM
We have to win the next three, and probably one in St. Louis. The non-conference schedule is killing us, but we wouldn't be where we are if we hadn't don't it that way.

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Cant lose to South Carolina or LSU probably. If we win out I think we are in. Anything in the tourney is close.

If we win the other 2 (wont be easy) and lose to UT, we would need 1 or 2 in the tourney to make it

Quaoarsking
02-20-2018, 09:15 PM
Winning out and reaching the semifinals of the SECT probably does it unless we're super unlucky with the bubble. 11-7 should give us a double bye, so that's just 1 win in St. Louis.

Lose another regular season game, and it's probably win the SECT or out.

Bart Torvik gives us around a 60% of making it if we win out but lose the first game in the SECT.
http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?&team=Mississippi+St.&year=2018

Jack Lambert
02-20-2018, 09:17 PM
I don't listen to folks like them. They don't know and are only guessing.

Covercorner2
02-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Winning out and reaching the semifinals of the SECT probably does it unless we're super unlucky with the bubble. 11-7 should give us a double bye, so that's just 1 win in St. Louis.

Bart Torvik gives us around a 60% of making it if we win out but lose the first game in the SECT.

As long as we don't lose to USC at home and finish above .500 the next slate of games, I don't see how we don't get in.

Losing to LSU on the road wouldn't be a bad loss.

Jarius
We are in the tournament with 3 more wins.

Bulldog1
They’re interviewing Lunardi about our chances on the sec network after the game that’s on now goes off.

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 09:20 PM
My God.......how fun would March be. Turkeys and us finally back in the tourney......im getting teary eyed

Quaoarsking
02-20-2018, 09:23 PM
Losing to LSU on the road wouldn't be a bad loss.

It's not a bad loss per se, but we're still sitting with an RPI in the 60s and need to improve 15-20 spots. Missing an opportunity to improve our RPI @ LSU would be devastating.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2018, 09:24 PM
This is what sucks about college basketball.

It?s pretty easy with the eye test to see we are a tournament team and if it wasn?t for two terrible calls at Mizzou and Vandy, we are easily in.

shoeless joe
02-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Those announcers are the dumbest on the SEC network...and that's saying something.

Howland has officially gotten us to the standard that stansbury set...on the bubble late. And just like durin the stans era it's what happened out of conference that has us squarely on the bubble instead of squarely in.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Win out + 2 in tourney.... they will take A&M and UK even if they don't win another game... UGA is the team we have to be worried about getting picked over us...

Coach34
02-20-2018, 09:35 PM
We are in the tournament with 3 more wins.

This is the correct answer. 11-7 and a top 5 finish in the SEC gets us in. End of story.

Covercorner2
02-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Win out + 2 in tourney.... they will take A&M and UK even if they don't win another game... UGA is the team we have to be worried about getting picked over us...

So we have to win 25 games? Holy shit.

We won 26 games in 2004.

Jarius
02-20-2018, 09:42 PM
So we have to win 25 games? Holy shit.

We won 26 games in 2004.

He’s wrong.

msugolf
02-20-2018, 09:43 PM
This is the correct answer. 11-7 and a top 5 finish in the SEC gets us in. End of story.

Yep. And finishing 11-7 in conf most likely gets us the double bye in the SEC tourney and thats a huge advantage.

Ari Gold
02-20-2018, 09:44 PM

11-7 4 seed we win

Ifyouonlyknew
02-20-2018, 10:01 PM

Add 1 win in St. Louis & that's the correct answer. A loss in the 1st game would make us have to do some unnecessary sweating.

Coach34
02-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Add 1 win in St. Louis & that's the correct answer. A loss in the 1st game would make us have to do some unnecessary sweating.

3-0 to finish and we are in. A Top 5 SEC team with the conference RPI is not getting left out.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Yep.

Bulldog1
02-20-2018, 10:17 PM
3-0 to finish and we are in. A Top 5 SEC team with the conference RPI is not getting left out.

I think I saw that if we when out, the lowest seed we could get is a 4. No way they leave us out if that happens

RougeDawg
02-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Win 3 more and in. Tonight?s win was huge.

jackindabox
02-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Good old Joe has them as the next four out, which is the four out behind the first four out so it should be called one of the last 8 out. I think a win vs South Carolina and Tennessee would move them either into the last four in or the first four out. Then they would need to see where the chips fall from there. If I had to guess if they win out the regular season they are in. They will beat whoever they play in first round of sec tournament if they are good enough to finish season 9-2. If they loose any of the next three games they are going to be either the first team out or last team in. I think it would be that close. If they loose 2 of the last three, they are out.

Liverpooldawg
02-21-2018, 09:00 AM
The thing that a lot of you are not taking into account is that because of our weak OCS they will be looking for reasons to leave us out, not for reasons to take us.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-21-2018, 09:02 AM
The thing that a lot of you are not taking into account is that because of our weak OCS they will be looking for reasons to leave us out, not for reasons to take us.

If we finish 11-7 in 1 of the toughest leagues in the country winning 9 of their last 11 regular season games, they'll be talking about how no one wants to face us in the tourney.

Liverpooldawg
02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
If we finish 11-7 in 1 of the toughest leagues in the country winning 9 of their last 11 regular season games, they'll be talking about how no one wants to face us in the tourney.

Hopefully you are right.

Bully13
02-21-2018, 10:25 AM
the whole selection process sucks ass. A&M could lose the rest of their remaining games and they are already in. That's 17ing is insane. giving more weight to having your ass handed to you by a good team than soundly beating a lesser team. 17 that. we shouldn't be fighting for our lives to get in like we are based on our overall SEC play. PERIOD. this 17ing sucks.

RougeDawg
02-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Haven?t you learned that your sound logic is not appreciated here? These people want to melt like a snowball in July at the drop of a hat. I think 10-8 gets us in after last night and our two shit losses due to referees. They?ve been saying 8-9 SEC teams in tourney this year. I?m still waiting on someone to make an argument that we aren?t in the top 6. Let alone 8-9.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-21-2018, 10:41 AM
we are winning the SEC tourney.

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Haven?t you learned that your sound logic is not appreciated here? These people want to melt like a snowball in July at the drop of a hat. I think 10-8 gets us in after last night and our two shit losses due to referees. They?ve been saying 8-9 SEC teams in tourney this year. I?m still waiting on someone to make an argument that we aren?t in the top 6. Let alone 8-9.

During this entire time they have been saying 8 SEC teams are getting in not once have they listed MSU amongst the 8. The simple fact is guys we are having to scramble to make up serious ground that our OOC put us in. Yes we looked a lot better than Texas A&M last night but and this is a big but aTm looked a whole lot better than us for all of Nov and Dec. They looked so good then they made it to being ranked #5 in the country. We haven't even sniffed the top 25 all year. They take the entire year into consideration not just the SEC. If we don't ever want to have this feeling of scrambling to make up Howland MUST MUST MUST schedule a top 100 OOC SOS moving forward. Had he done that this year and we had survived it with a 12-1 record we would be a 5 or 6 seed right now not still on the outside.

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 10:57 AM
we are winning the SEC tourney.

If we finish 3-0 we have a pretty good shot. We'll have to beat Kentucky to do it as I think they are about to get really hot.

RougeDawg
02-21-2018, 10:59 AM
During this entire time they have been saying 8 SEC teams are getting in not once have they listed MSU amongst the 8. The simple fact is guys we are having to scramble to make up serious ground that our OOC put us in. Yes we looked a lot better than Texas A&M last night but and this is a big but aTm looked a whole lot better than us for all of Nov and Dec. They looked so good then they made it to being ranked #5 in the country. We haven't even sniffed the top 25 all year. They take the entire year into consideration not just the SEC. If we don't ever want to have this feeling of scrambling to make up Howland MUST MUST MUST schedule a top 100 OOC SOS moving forward. Had he done that this year and we had survived it with a 12-1 record we would be a 5 or 6 seed right now not still on the outside.

So are we throwing the eye test completely out the window? Thought that was a key factor as well. If the eye test really does count as much as these clowns say it does we are in with a 10-8 conference record. At some point these talking heads have to be held accountable and have to be forced to stop talking out of their Merlins. They can?t keep spewing shit for 3 months and backtracking when their team sucks.

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 11:28 AM
So are we throwing the eye test completely out the window? Thought that was a key factor as well. If the eye test really does count as much as these clowns say it does we are in with a 10-8 conference record. At some point these talking heads have to be held accountable and have to be forced to stop talking out of their Merlins. They can?t keep spewing shit for 3 months and backtracking when their team sucks.

Head to head does matter which would be your "eye test" of a single game. aTm is an odd example as they looked better than Duke for two straight months and then have had non-stop suspensions and injuries that have really derailed them. If it's me in charge I am not putting aTm in if they finish 7-11 in the SEC. They are clearly not the same team they were at the beginning of the year. I do think in their case the committee is going to look at their injuries, suspensions and stumble to the end and they will punish them by placing them in the first four games. Our problem isn't aTm necessarily it's the other 20 teams on the bubble that will all be feeling jaded if we get in without clearly showing we deserve it because every single one of them has a much better OOC than us. We are in the 300's for OOC strength of schedule. That's like trying to win a boxing match after losing all of the first 8 rounds. Can we still get in? Yes but it's gonna take us winning all our games in the regular season and 1 in the SECT. When I said yesterday was the start of do or die for us I wasn't joking. We are in elimination mode for the NCAAT. Survive and advance.

Coach34
02-21-2018, 11:45 AM
If A&M loses 3 more to go 7-11, they arent getting in

Liverpooldawg
02-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Go look at the other thread where someone posted a NCAA team sheet the committee uses to evaluate teams under the new set up. We don't rank very high in that stuff. It sucks but it's what we are dealing with. The OCS is killing us. We needed it at the time, but its an anchor around our necks now. We HAVE to have 3 more wins, and most likely 4.

MadDawg
02-21-2018, 11:47 AM

As long as our RPI is around 40, I agree. I think it may take another 1-2 wins in the SECT.

Coach34
02-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Go look at the other thread where someone posted a NCAA team sheet the committee uses to evaluate teams under the new set up. We don't rank very high in that stuff. It sucks but it's what we are dealing with. The OCS is killing us. We needed it at the time, but its an anchor around our necks now. We HAVE to have 3 more wins, and most likely 4.

3-0 and a top 4 finish gets us in. End of story

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 11:53 AM

I agree with this but I'd like 1 win in the SECT too just to make sure.

Commercecomet24
02-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Ageed. At least 1 win in the SEC tourney sure would be nice though

Johnson85
02-21-2018, 12:26 PM

I assume this is right. Hard to see how a top 4 finish in a 7 bid league doesn't get you in. The only question I would have is how bunched up are the teams behind us? If we finish two or three games ahead on a roughly equivalent conference schedule, that seems to answer the question of who deserves to get in. If we finish one game ahead, or finish two or three games ahead but the difference is that we dodged playing some of the harder teams twice, then maybe we get penalized for our shitty OOC schedule.

Bulldog1
02-21-2018, 12:27 PM

I don’t care what that sheet says, if we go 11-7 they are NOT skipping us to give 3 or 4 other teams a tourney spot.

Quaoarsking
02-21-2018, 12:31 PM
I assume this is right. Hard to see how a top 4 finish in a 7 bid league doesn't get you in. The only question I would have is how bunched up are the teams behind us? If we finish two or three games ahead on a roughly equivalent conference schedule, that seems to answer the question of who deserves to get in. If we finish one game ahead, or finish two or three games ahead but the difference is that we dodged playing some of the harder teams twice, then maybe we get penalized for our shitty OOC schedule.

Finishing 2nd in a 5-bid league wasn't enough for Alabama in 2011, and they were 4 games ahead of Tennessee and 3 games ahead of 2 other teams with a bid.

Why not? SOS issues. What do we Have? SOS issues.

I think we're probably in at 11-7, but it's not a lock like some people are making it out to be.

Johnson85
02-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Finishing 2nd in a 5-bid league wasn't enough for Alabama in 2011, and they were 4 games ahead of Tennessee and 3 games ahead of 2 other teams with a bid.

Why not? SOS issues. What do we Have? SOS issues.

I think we're probably in at 11-7, but it's not a lock like some people are making it out to be.

it's meaningless to say they are four games ahead when they didn't play a comparable schedule. It's more meaningful than saying MSU was four games ahead of Clemson, but not by a lot.

We may get left out because of SOS, but Alabama in 2011 is not a precedent unless a couple of those teams that got bids finished behind Bama in the West. If Bama and Tennessee had a comparable conference schedule and Bama got left out despite being four games ahead, that would be a strong indicator that we are hosed this year unless we pick up some good wins in teh SEC tourney.

Liverpooldawg
02-21-2018, 12:53 PM

I hope you are right but the only people saying that are MSU fans.

Liverpooldawg
02-21-2018, 12:55 PM
I don’t care what that sheet says, if we go 11-7 they are NOT skipping us to give 3 or 4 other teams a tourney spot.

They have done it before. The sheet is what they look at, not what we want them to look at. Hopefully we win the next 4 and it won't matter. If we don't win the next three it's a moot point anyway.

JoseBrown
02-21-2018, 01:32 PM
We control our own destiny. Win and we are in, the tourney won’t matter. We just gotta win out. And with our guard rotation combined with the way our bigs are playing now, we could make a run this year. I’m just sayin... not expecting, just sayin...

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 02:22 PM
I don't think anyone really knows what the committee is going to do on SS. Dan Dakich last night said aTm now had to win the SECT to get in. Lunardi had them as a 6 seed before our game. I think everyone in the country is like this thread and doesn't really know one way or the other. Looking back on Alabama in 2011 from our perspective it sure looks like a 12-4 SEC team shouldn't of been left out till you look at their OOC and notice they went 0-6 vs any team with a pulse. Had they gone just 1-5 they probably get in with that strong SEC finish but they went winless vs any decent team in OOC and that's what kept them out. 8-6 OOC doesn't get you in when the SEC is rated so shitty that year. Remember the committee was pretty down on the SEC for awhile there.

Johnson85
02-21-2018, 03:02 PM
They have done it before. The sheet is what they look at, not what we want them to look at. Hopefully we win the next 4 and it won't matter. If we don't win the next three it's a moot point anyway.

When have they done it before?

Not saying they won't, but have they ever done it before?

Coach34
02-21-2018, 03:07 PM
When have they done it before?

Not saying they won't, but have they ever done it before?

He is talking about Bama in 2011 when they won a weakass West and finished 12-4. 3 East teams were selected ahead of them. But that was also with a divided conference- and its almost like Bama was in a separate conference from those teams

as 615 said- they didnt do it to USC when they finished 4th in a 7 bid league. Their RPI was about what ours is now.

ScreenCaptureThis
02-21-2018, 03:40 PM
So we keep bringing up RPI and how we'll finish with a win or two in the SECT, but I'm not seeing that as a boost unless we actually do win out. If we lose a game, stay somewhere in the 5-7 region in the SECT, we'll most likely play a team that's significantly lower seeded. Is a win on a neutral court versus a team that's possibly at/below .500 worth enough bump points in that case? I'm trying to figure the math and wondering what the difference would be in the tournament with the exception of a visit to the championship game. I'm not doubting anyone or anything, I just don't see the tournament being a deciding factor without a full run through it.

Again, this question is the "if we don't win out" scenario. If we do win out, finish top 4 in the SEC, I don't see how the tournament would play in, unless a 12-14 seed wins two games and plays us in round one and beats us. Otherwise it seems like a wash.

I've read in a few other areas where the tournament games really have no bearing on the decisions of the committee, with the exception of the finals and who is involved and the outcome of those games.

Percho
02-21-2018, 06:40 PM
All I know is how wonderful it would be for the Girls and the Guys to both win a NC in the same year.

RougeDawg
02-21-2018, 07:39 PM
All I know is how wonderful it would be for the Girls and the Guys to both win a NC in the same year.

Who there turbo. Pump the brakes a tad. Although it would be great I?ll take a women?s NC and men?s ncaa birth and be ecstatic.

msstate7
02-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Our win at South Carolina is on the verge of becoming a Q1 win

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Our win at South Carolina is on the verge of becoming a Q1 win

Pretty stupid they have Georgia ahead of us right now. We are clearly a better team than UGA.

Bulldog1
02-21-2018, 07:54 PM
Pretty stupid they have Georgia ahead of us right now. We are clearly a better team than UGA.

Just give it about 2 games. They’ll be off the bubble

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Just give it about 2 games. They’ll be off the bubble

I was wrong Lunardi swapped us and Georgia last night. Need South Carolina to hold on here.

Bulldog1
02-21-2018, 08:12 PM
I was wrong Lunardi swapped us and Georgia last night. Need South Carolina to hold on here.

Ok

Bulldog1
02-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Where did he have Georgia?

Dawg61
02-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Where did he have Georgia?

He moved us into next four out #8 position basically and put Georgia behind that so they are basically around 10th team to not get in but they are about to lose to USC and that'll bury them. Good news for us.

Bulldog1
02-21-2018, 08:23 PM
He moved us into next four out #8 position basically and put Georgia behind that so they are basically around 10th team to not get in but they are about to lose to USC and that'll bury them. Good news for us.
Yep. Rooting for auburn and Tennessee tonight

Turfdawg67
02-21-2018, 08:42 PM
I hear all of y?all but I think we are in for a major disappointment if we don?t get the automatic bid. Do a Google search... we are an after-after thought. Our SOS is atrocious and late losses to Mizzou & Vandy will be the death knell. We can and must win the SEC Tournament or we are looking at a 21+ win team heading for the NIT.

Bully13
02-21-2018, 08:43 PM
I hear all of y?all but I think we are in for a major disappointment if we don?t get the automatic bid. Do a Google search... we are an after-after thought. Our SOS is atrocious and late losses to Mizzou & Vandy will be the death knell. We can and must win the SEC Tournament or we are looking at a 21+ win team heading for the NIT.

Wrong.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Nope

Bully13
02-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Nope

Not only are you wrong but you suck too. And you're a dumbass.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2018, 09:09 PM
And you’re a douchebag... and when we win the SEC Tourney and get in, this will be a moot point, but you will still be.

Coach34
02-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Nope

think you are totally wrong. 23 win Miss State makes the NCAA Tourney

Turfdawg67
02-21-2018, 09:57 PM

I obviously HOPE I'm wrong and a dumbass, but unless I'm looking at the wrong sites we seem to be nowhere on the radar. Guess a UT win could change the landscape but if A&M is a lock with a losing SEC record, that can't bode well for our chances.

Turfdawg67
02-21-2018, 10:04 PM
It's not apples to apples, but maybe 2010 still haunts me. Didn't we win like 22 games that year and went to the NIT? And we had a little more street cred back then too...

99jc
02-21-2018, 10:06 PM

I hope your right but I think 24 wins is what we need. I'm just impressed that we are playing this well. I doubted this team all season and contrary to what many think I'm glad I was wrong. And your correct the change started when Peters started leading this team.

Coach34
02-21-2018, 10:10 PM
but if A&M is a lock with a losing SEC record, that can't bode well for our chances.

A&M is not a lock and is fading quickly. Their status was based on projections of beating us. That didnt happen- so projections have changed

Covercorner2
02-21-2018, 10:17 PM
We are probably going to be 3rd in the SEC after tonight. If people don't even have us in the NCAA picture they are either stupid or haven't updated projections yet. Just give it time.