PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts On Potential Coaching Hires

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
First off, today is a terrible day. As bad as it is for Cannizaro, it's even worse for the assistant coaches that had the opportunity to coach at MSU, did a good job, & were on their way to building a career themselves, before their selfish boss derailed their career when they were doing good jobs & everything right.

That being said, here are my thoughts on who MSU should target in the coaching search:

- While I think Cannizaro was a good hire from a profile standpoint (recruiter, energy, etc), I'm don't think Cohen can afford to go down the same road again of getting an inexperienced head coach who has never been the "the guy". He has to go get a sitting power 5 head coach that he can trust to nurture the program.

That being said here are the names I would consider:

Safe Hire

Butch Thompson - I would make Butch the odds on favorite because Cohen will want someone he can trust. Butch isn't sexy, but he'd do a quality job. The program would lack ceiling but it would be steady.

Tier 1

Dan McDonald - Throw a bunch of money at McDonald & make him say no. He probably will say no.
Jim Schlossnagle - Throw a bunch of money at Scholss & make him say no. He will probably say no.

Tier 2: The likely hires if he does not just hire Butch

Tim Tadlock - Texas Tech - Tadlock has done a hell of a job & has a great staff. The Texas Tech staff has done a better job than most anyone in America at finding grinders & underrated players across America that can play. You could make an argument that the new Dudy Noble will take care of national recruiting & that the most important thing may be to have a coaching staff that isn't scared to take a chance on non-famous players. Texas Tech is the Wisconsin/ Michigan State/ Mississippi State when comparing college football to college baseball. Not sexy but we'd win big.
Nick Mingione - Nick is Cannizaro but more grounded. KY is building a new stadium & Nick has a good program there. Not sure he'd leave.

Brad Bohannon - Coach at Alabama. May be one of the best evaluators of 14-15 year old boys on the planet. As early recruiting more a part of college baseball, Bohannon could make some sense.

Tony Vitello - Tony is maybe the best recruiter in America. Head coach at Tennessee now & finds underrated players. He built & is responsible for Arkansas' roster. High energy but is risky due to potentially having another Cannizaro situation.

sandjunky
02-20-2018, 09:46 AM
No Deggs? Dudes a boss

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2018, 09:46 AM
No Deggs? Dudes a boss

Deggs is a mid-major coach & has skeleton's in the closet. He belongs at Sam Houston State.

I can't imagine Cohen would hire him.

Anonymous
02-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Corbin will get another call. He was Cohen's number one last go around, I assume we will put a number out there and make him say no before moving on to anyone else.

drummerdawg
02-20-2018, 09:50 AM
I remember going through this last time with all the big names and then we ended up with a guy nobody ever heard of that was only a college assistant for a couple of years. Not saying Cann was a bad hire, it's just that nobody knew what to expect with him because he never coached before. I hope Cohen does what it takes and goes after every top coach in the country. Make them tell us no. Let's see how attractive our program really is.

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Corbin will get another call. He was Cohen's number one last go around, I assume we will put a number out there and make him say no before moving on to anyone else.

I'm not sure I'd hire Corbin. He's gotten lazy in recruiting & is more of a CEO now. MSU needs a head coach that will recruit

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2018, 09:52 AM
I remember going through this last time with all the big names and then we ended up with a guy nobody ever heard of that was only a college assistant for a couple of years. Not saying Cann was a bad hire, it's just that nobody knew what to expect with him because he never coached before. I hope Cohen does what it takes and goes after every top coach in the country. Make them tell us no. Let's see how attractive our program really is.

Agree. I just think Cohen will go the more established this time. For optics he kind of has to.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2018, 09:53 AM
I've talked to several commits parents last night and this morning. Mingione is extremely popular and so is Butch.

Ari Gold
02-20-2018, 10:00 AM
This is easy...
you have a list of the top 5-10 guys in the country and make them say no. Brian O’connor , Jim Schlossenagle , Ect..
Then you work your way down.

And Butch and Mig are way way down on that list.

Cooterpoot
02-20-2018, 10:01 AM
I personally prefer a more proven coach than Ming and Butch. I'm not a huge fan of simply hiring guys with connections to MSU. They'd be on my list, but on down it. We're a top 10 or so program. We can hire someone that's proven.

RAYn_Man
02-20-2018, 10:16 AM
I would take Butch off your lists. As well as Lane. Don't think they would come.

I seen it dawg
02-20-2018, 10:21 AM
No Butch and no Mingione. And no Burroughs. We should be able to go get a top shelf guy. We are not a stepping stone baseball job. We are a blue blood and we should act like it.

I got text Kirk Saarloos which is very interesting. Absolutely take a look at him.

drummerdawg
02-20-2018, 10:21 AM
I say we give Stricklin some payback and go after O'Sullivan.

Bulldog1
02-20-2018, 10:26 AM
I think the worst case scenario is Cohen pulls double duty. If all the big shots turn him down, he may want another shot in the best stadium in college baseball.

KB21
02-20-2018, 10:27 AM
One thing to keep in mind when thinking about who John Cohen will go after at the end of the season. College baseball is different than college basketball and college football. Coaches at major institutions who have built championship caliber programs don't move around as much as they do in the other sports. Tim Corbin has been at Vanderbilt since 2003. Jim Schlossnagle has been at TCU since 2004. Pat Casey has been at Oregon State since 1995. Dan McDonnell has been at Louisville since 2007.

Anything can happen, but the more likely scenario is that the next head coach will be either a top assistant coach from a major program (Kevin McMullen, Kirk Saarloos), a lower level head coach, or a current head coach who has MSU ties (Butch Thompson, Nick Mingione).

Commercecomet24
02-20-2018, 10:34 AM
I would prefer to hire a more proven HC as well and believe we could get whoever we wanted. I'm just letting you know what some of our commits over the next couple of years are thinking. You're always gonna lose a couple whenever there's a coaching change anyway, so we have to do what's best for State. Besides they are all emotional now just like us and if you get a big name coach it ain't gonna matter.

Saarloos is an interesting option.

shoeless joe
02-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Y'all are under rating butch. Dude is just as charismatic in the recruiting game as anyone. Plus he's a quality guy.
That said I think we should explore several "high profile" options if they fit into what we are looking for.

ETA: you guys are missing the boat!! We've got the guys rite here to get us a championship mstate7 watches every braves game and rouge talked to an MLB player once!! They are more than qualified! Make em co-head coaches and get ur reservations to Omaha!!!!

preachermatt83
02-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Cliff Godwin

dawgs
02-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Well unlike the Cann hire, the hire won’t be happening between fall practice and spring. If we don’t go get a top tier coach, then I’m just going to give up. ****ing Fresno st and coastal Carolina can win a CWS. Programs like Vandy, Virginia, and Oregon st didn’t realize college baseball was a thing until the last 15 years and they can win a CWS, and yet we can’t. I’m sick and tired of it. Go get someone who will win and won’t **** up the opportunity in a year.

Cooterpoot
02-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Well unlike the Cann hire, the hire won’t be happening between fall practice and spring. If we don’t go get a top tier coach, then I’m just going to give up. ****ing Fresno st and coastal Carolina can win a CWS. Programs like Vandy, Virginia, and Oregon st didn’t realize college baseball was a thing until the last 15 years and they can win a CWS, and yet we can’t. I’m sick and tired of it. Go get someone who will win and won’t **** up the opportunity in a year.

Dilly Dilly

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I think Butch is doing a great job at auburn and would do well here. Mingione would too. I think they would both take it, Thompson has called MSU his ''dream job'' before BUT.......

We should offer Corbin, Schlossnaggle, McDonell, the guy at Oregon St, O'Sullivan, on down the list before we got there. No reason why we cant have the best coach in college baseball

Homedawg
02-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I would take Butch off your lists. As well as Lane. Don't think they would come.

Lane would take this job in a heartbeat. Now he won't get it, but he'd take it.

Homedawg
02-20-2018, 11:19 AM
I think the worst case scenario is Cohen pulls double duty. If all the big shots turn him down, he may want another shot in the best stadium in college baseball.

Zero chance this happens. Ad is a time consuming job. Can't do both.

Bulldog1
02-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Zero chance this happens. Ad is a time consuming job. Can't do both.

I would rather get a big name. We don’t have to get an up and comer in baseball

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-20-2018, 11:24 AM
none of these names are right...it'll be the cal st. fullerton guy that turned us down last time. Cohen will make him an offer he cant refuse

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 11:25 AM
none of these names are right...it'll be the cal st. fullerton guy that turned us down last time. Cohen will make him an offer he cant refuse

Who? Saarloos at TCU came from Cal St Fullerton. Or are you talking about Vanderhook

RAYn_Man
02-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Lane would take this job in a heartbeat. Now he won't get it, but he'd take it.

That's why I said to take him off the list. Cohen won't offer him and Butch won't leave Auburn.

Saltydog
02-20-2018, 12:00 PM
his dream job. Plus, all of his family still lives in North MS.

Percho
02-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Y'all are under rating butch. Dude is just as charismatic in the recruiting game as anyone. Plus he's a quality guy.
That said I think we should explore several "high profile" options if they fit into what we are looking for.

ETA: you guys are missing the boat!! We've got the guys rite here to get us a championship mstate7 watches every braves game and rouge talked to an MLB player once!! They are more than qualified! Make em co-head coaches and get ur reservations to Omaha!!!!

Has either one stayed in a HIE?

KB21
02-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Who? Saarloos at TCU came from Cal St Fullerton. Or are you talking about Vanderhook

Jason Dietrich.

Coach34
02-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Cohen was tired of baseball and wanted a new challenge. I'd be shocked if he went back

BeardoMSU
02-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Cohen was tired of baseball and wanted a new challenge. I'd be shocked if he went back

I like him as AD, anyway. No way you can juggle both of those jobs.

Bulldog1
02-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Cohen isn’t coaching again, but we are NOT hiring a young assistant

preachermatt83
02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Cohen thinks he can get any coach in America to come here.

HancockCountyDog
02-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Cohen thinks he can get any coach in America to come here.

He is not wrong to think that. We are a top 5 job in baseball. Top 5 jobs can get anyone.

Lets just disqualify anyone that wears a ski hat in a basketball gym that is over 15 years old.

Cooterpoot
02-20-2018, 12:58 PM
He is not wrong to think that. We are a top 5 job in baseball. Top 5 jobs can get anyone.

Lets just disqualify anyone that wears a ski hat in a basketball gym that is over 15 years old.

We have top five support for our program. We're not a top 5 program. Not yet.

Bulldog1
02-20-2018, 01:02 PM

We’re at least a top 10 program

msstate7
02-20-2018, 01:03 PM

If we are not, we are close... top 10 anyway.

preachermatt83
02-20-2018, 01:03 PM

We are a blue blood of college baseball.

preachermatt83
02-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Agree on all accounts.

msstate7
02-20-2018, 01:07 PM

LSU, usc, Texas, FSU, and Miami are my top 5 programs

HancockCountyDog
02-20-2018, 01:15 PM

LSU and Texas are the only jobs I would rank ahead of ours as far as overall job for a coach. The other three aren't close in my opinion.

Cooterpoot
02-20-2018, 01:19 PM
LSU and Texas are the only jobs I would rank ahead of ours as far as overall job for a coach. The other three aren't close in my opinion.

But coaches want to win. It should be their #1 priority. And we're not a top team from a national title standpoint. We have none. Even Coastal Carolina has one.
That's why I'm wanting to see us go all in on a big time coach and not someone that's been here. We need to step up to the plate with our coaching hire. We've done everything else we can do.

AusTexDawg
02-20-2018, 01:46 PM
- If Schlossnagle didn't take the Texas job when it was offered, he won't leave TCU for MSU. No reason not to ask him, though.
- Tadlock has worked wonders in Lubbock - I'm convinced he was who Texas wanted but couldn't get through the no-Big XIII-teams clause in his contract. I bet we would be willing to stock several ponds on campus with catfish for him (https://www.hookem.com/story/31-days-texas-insiders-look-baseball-coaching-search/) if that's what it takes.
- Given Matt Deggs' baggage, I'm not sure a high-visibility, high-pressure job like ours is the best place for him, but he seems like a good fit. His redemption narrative seems more genuine and less self-serving than some coaches in the North Mississippi area.

I seen it dawg
02-20-2018, 01:58 PM

I seen that...

bobcat91
02-20-2018, 01:59 PM
If we go the assistant route, I want Saarloos from TCU. If we go the proven HC route, I want either Mingione or Tadlock. Right now my money is on Mingione. Cohen didn't bring him with him on multiple stops for no reason. I'd prefer Tadlock.

I seen it dawg
02-20-2018, 02:00 PM
He also didn’t go get him when he hired Cann

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2018, 02:14 PM
If we go the assistant route, I want Saarloos from TCU. If we go the proven HC route, I want either Mingione or Tadlock. Right now my money is on Mingione. Cohen didn't bring him with him on multiple stops for no reason. I'd prefer Tadlock.

Saarloos is a good dude but is a West coast guy and likes to play golf 4 times a week.

I just don’t see him as a viable option or fit.

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 05:47 PM

You mean like Cali USC or South Carolina. USC in Cali aint been relevant or gave a shit in quite a while.

The rest I can agree with

Coursesuper
02-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Mississippi State University is not a blue blood baseball program, if you think we are you are deluded. We, mine and your university has won exactly dick on the national stage. We have gotten close and had a good view of the dance floor but have yet to get asked to the ball. Take a step back and look at what we are known for, great support, great crowds and the left field lounge (that is no more). That's it period. When we can claim a national championship and repeat the feat then we can claim to be a "blue blood" program until then we ain't.

msstate7
02-20-2018, 06:52 PM
You mean like Cali USC or South Carolina. USC in Cali aint been relevant or gave a shit in quite a while.

The rest I can agree with

They have 12 national championships. They have fallen off of late, but they are still a great program just like Bama football when they were not winning natties

Memphisbulldog
02-20-2018, 07:22 PM

We are a top 5 job, yes. But ALSO, we will have the nicest stadium by far in the country and have all 20 of the largest on campus crowds in college baseball history. Counting all that, I think we are maybe the most attractive baseball coaching job in the country.

Todd4State
02-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Mississippi State University is not a blue blood baseball program, if you think we are you are deluded. We, mine and your university has won exactly dick on the national stage. We have gotten close and had a good view of the dance floor but have yet to get asked to the ball. Take a step back and look at what we are known for, great support, great crowds and the left field lounge (that is no more). That's it period. When we can claim a national championship and repeat the feat then we can claim to be a "blue blood" program until then we ain't.

Go look at a list of who has even made it to the CWS finals all-time and then get back to me. Georgia has one National Title in football since 1980- would you consider them a blue blood program? I would. Those resources you mentioned are why we are a blueblood program.

Todd4State
02-20-2018, 07:34 PM
First off, today is a terrible day. As bad as it is for Cannizaro, it's even worse for the assistant coaches that had the opportunity to coach at MSU, did a good job, & were on their way to building a career themselves, before their selfish boss derailed their career when they were doing good jobs & everything right.

That being said, here are my thoughts on who MSU should target in the coaching search:

- While I think Cannizaro was a good hire from a profile standpoint (recruiter, energy, etc), I'm don't think Cohen can afford to go down the same road again of getting an inexperienced head coach who has never been the "the guy". He has to go get a sitting power 5 head coach that he can trust to nurture the program.

That being said here are the names I would consider:

Safe Hire

Butch Thompson - I would make Butch the odds on favorite because Cohen will want someone he can trust. Butch isn't sexy, but he'd do a quality job. The program would lack ceiling but it would be steady.

Tier 1

Dan McDonald - Throw a bunch of money at McDonald & make him say no. He probably will say no.
Jim Schlossnagle - Throw a bunch of money at Scholss & make him say no. He will probably say no.

Tier 2: The likely hires if he does not just hire Butch

Tim Tadlock - Texas Tech - Tadlock has done a hell of a job & has a great staff. The Texas Tech staff has done a better job than most anyone in America at finding grinders & underrated players across America that can play. You could make an argument that the new Dudy Noble will take care of national recruiting & that the most important thing may be to have a coaching staff that isn't scared to take a chance on non-famous players. Texas Tech is the Wisconsin/ Michigan State/ Mississippi State when comparing college football to college baseball. Not sexy but we'd win big.
Nick Mingione - Nick is Cannizaro but more grounded. KY is building a new stadium & Nick has a good program there. Not sure he'd leave.

Brad Bohannon - Coach at Alabama. May be one of the best evaluators of 14-15 year old boys on the planet. As early recruiting more a part of college baseball, Bohannon could make some sense.

Tony Vitello - Tony is maybe the best recruiter in America. Head coach at Tennessee now & finds underrated players. He built & is responsible for Arkansas' roster. High energy but is risky due to potentially having another Cannizaro situation.

I would be fine with any of these hires but I hope Cohen does what he did with Moorhead- get the best guy and not worry about what Cann did if it's a guy like Vitello.

dawgs
02-20-2018, 07:53 PM
There’s a difference between top 5 programs and top 5 jobs. I think we are a top 5 job (support, facilities, etc), but until we start winning ****ing natty’s we aren’t near a top 5 program. That’s why this stings so much and I get frustrated every time we blow another postseason while I watch Fresno st and coastal Carolina hang banners. And now this is going to be a lost season, and who knows how it affects us the next couple of years. Potentially sets us back multiple years. This is the big 3 sport we legitimately can offer what many other programs only dream about and we still can’t close the deal on a natty.

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 08:00 PM
They have 12 national championships. They have fallen off of late, but they are still a great program just like Bama football when they were not winning natties

They didnt make the tournament from 2005 to 2015 and havent been to Omaha since 2001. And nobody in southern california gives a shit.

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 08:02 PM
There’s a difference between top 5 programs and top 5 jobs. I think we are a top 5 job (support, facilities, etc), but until we start winning ****ing natty’s we aren’t near a top 5 program. That’s why this stings so much and I get frustrated every time we blow another postseason while I watch Fresno st and coastal Carolina hang banners. And now this is going to be a lost season, and who knows how it affects us the next couple of years. Potentially sets us back multiple years. This is the big 3 sport we legitimately can offer what many other programs only dream about and we still can’t close the deal on a natty.

I think this team may surprise some people, esp after learning kids were interviewed about Cann going into the USM series. Wednesday is opening day IMO

msstate7
02-20-2018, 08:05 PM
They didnt make the tournament from 2005 to 2015 and havent been to Omaha since 2001. And nobody in southern california gives a shit.

Since my graduating year (1995), we both have 4 CWS appearances. They won 1 and were a runner up another year

TNDawg35
02-20-2018, 08:10 PM

SHIT!!! Ole Poppy Henderson gonna bring home the bacon... Don’t be surprised if these guys rally behind him and exceed expectations... I just have a gut feeling about all this....

Todd4State
02-20-2018, 08:16 PM
SHIT!!! Ole Poppy Henderson gonna bring home the bacon... Don’t be surprised if these guys rally behind him and exceed expectations... I just have a gut feeling about all this....

I wouldn't be surprised either. At the same time I could see this being 2015 all over again too. We'll just see what happens.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2018, 08:21 PM
I don?t know how this season is gonna turn out. I do know that Henderson is going to have a calming effect on this team and I can see him getting max potential out of the players. I just don?t know how much that?s gonna get us this year with all that?s happened. I?m gonna be patient and let it play out. I hope for the players sake they have a good season

Todd4State
02-20-2018, 08:21 PM
- If Schlossnagle didn't take the Texas job when it was offered, he won't leave TCU for MSU. No reason not to ask him, though.
- Tadlock has worked wonders in Lubbock - I'm convinced he was who Texas wanted but couldn't get through the no-Big XIII-teams clause in his contract. I bet we would be willing to stock several ponds on campus with catfish for him (https://www.hookem.com/story/31-days-texas-insiders-look-baseball-coaching-search/) if that's what it takes.
- Given Matt Deggs' baggage, I'm not sure a high-visibility, high-pressure job like ours is the best place for him, but he seems like a good fit. His redemption narrative seems more genuine and less self-serving than some coaches in the North Mississippi area.

Maybe Schlossnagle didn't want to follow up Augie Garrido? Plus I think next season we should be a better situation and team than what Texas was when Garrido left. We have some quality arms to work with that should be all 100% recovered from Tommy John or whatever injury and all of our freshmen that are starting will be a year older plus we have juniors that I think will be back next year as seniors

Todd4State
02-20-2018, 08:24 PM
I don?t know how this season is gonna turn out. I do know that Henderson is going to have a calming effect on this team and I can see him getting max potential out of the players. I just don?t know how much that?s gonna get us this year with all that?s happened. I?m gonna be patient and let it play it. I hope for the players sake they have a good season

It's comforting to me that he has SEC head coaching experience and success. That has to increase the odds of "turning it around" vs. "dumpster fire".

It's not like we're stuck with the student managers running the show or something like that.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2018, 08:32 PM
It's comforting to me that he has SEC head coaching experience and success. That has to increase the odds of "turning it around" vs. "dumpster fire".

It's not like we're stuck with the student managers running the show or something like that.

That?s the way I see it too. Gary is very calm and poised. Just what these kids need right now.

Coursesuper
02-20-2018, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;891398]Go look at a list of who has even made it to the CWS finals all-time and then get back to me. Georgia has one National Title in football since 1980- would you consider them a blue blood program? I would. Those resources you mentioned are why we are a blueblood program.[/QUOTE

What's on our resume to prove our blue bloodedness? We have an appearance in the national finals and lost, we have one SEC championship in the last 28 years how does that resume stack up against LSU, TX, Miami and S Car in the last 20 years. Those are elite blue blood programs, they are what we are aspiring to be. If spending money, and selling out season tickets and having a great fan base makes a program a blue blood then that means you can technically buy that status and never really earn it.

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2018, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;891398]Go look at a list of who has even made it to the CWS finals all-time and then get back to me. Georgia has one National Title in football since 1980- would you consider them a blue blood program? I would. Those resources you mentioned are why we are a blueblood program.[/QUOTE

What's on our resume to prove our blue bloodedness? We have an appearance in the national finals and lost, we have one SEC championship in the last 28 years how does that resume stack up against LSU, TX, Miami and S Car in the last 20 years. Those are elite blue blood programs, they are what we are aspiring to be. If spending money, and selling out season tickets and having a great fan base makes a program a blue blood then that means you can technically buy that status and never really earn it.

We have 9 Omaha Trips. 17 SEC conf titles...7 SEC tourney titles....36 tourney appearances....thats a top 10 program.

You cant have it both ways. You cant say what have you done lately then say what have you done all time.

Lately our football program is top 25 at least... cant keep raising and lowering the bar to fit the narrative

Coursesuper
02-20-2018, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Coursesuper;891535]

We have 9 Omaha Trips. 17 SEC conf titles...7 SEC tourney titles....36 tourney appearances....thats a top 10 program.

You cant have it both ways. You cant say what have you done lately then say what have you done all time.

Lately our football program is top 25 at least... cant keep raising and lowering the bar to fit the narrative

When did I say anything about lately, we have won nothing to make us elite, if you want to go all UNM though and talk about the good ole days before segregation go ahead. That still changes nothing, we have no national championships period. None in the last 20 or 30 or 50 much less 100 years. You can also take that narrative bullshit and walk, I at least have an open and honest opinion, I'm not trying to boost my narrative by stating stats from forever for or program.