PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post by 615Dawg/Curmudgeon on Sixpack about our NCAA Chances

Coach34
02-18-2018, 06:45 PM
He is a numbers guy btw and has been great over the years on breakdowns:

I think 23 wins gets us in

That includes the SEC Tournament.

This team is two last second threes and a blown 13 point second half lead from being in first place in the SEC.

at Texas A&M
South Carolina
Tennessee
at LSU

all winnable games. If we win all four, we will have a double bye in the SEC Tournament. If we win three, we will probably be the 5 seed and get an opportunity to play the 12-13 winner to pick up a 24th win.

South Carolina and Tennessee games need to be sell outs especially if we win in College Station on Tuesday.

23 is the most number of wins by a Power conference team ever left out of the NCAA Tournament. It was Mississippi State in 2010.

Bulldog1
02-18-2018, 07:00 PM
The a&m game and Tennessee games will be big rpi boosters, especially if we win.

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Everyone spread the word. FILL THE HUMP AND BRING THE NOISE!!

Ari Gold
02-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Maybe we should offer Free Ricks Rowdies T-shirt’s for the Tennessee game it would probably sell out In 20 minutes.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Cool. Hope it works out. I see us winning 2 of the next 4 at best. Is it the same Curmudgeon from this site? If so he like literally stalked me one time. Like he started sending me info about my kids names and schools and such. It freaked me out. Like I thought (and still do) that he must be someone who knows me. Just throwing it out FYI.

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 08:26 PM
Maybe we would offer Free Ricks Rowdies T-shirt’s for the Tennessee game it would probably sell out In 20 minutes.

Haha ISWYDT but maybe we should get Rick's Cafe to sponsor some Rick's Rowdies and still use all those t-shirts everybody got stored in their closets and Rick's Cafe can pass out some new ones that say Howland's Dick is Bigger or something maybe more PC.

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Cool. Hope it works out. I see us winning 2 of the next 4 at best. Is it the same Curmudgeon from this site? If so he like literally stalked me one time. Like he started sending me info about my kids names and schools and such. It freaked me out. Like I thought (and still do) that he must be someone who knows me. Just throwing it out FYI.

Haha this reminded me of the time curmudgeon and dude from Boston that quit this site right after it got into it during the world cup match. Shit was hilarious. Can anyone find that thread? It is worthy of another read I promise.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Haha this reminded me of the time curmudgeon and dude from Boston that quit this site right after it got into it during the world cup match. Shit was hilarious. Can anyone find that thread? It is worthy of another read I promise.

I remember the guy from Boston. Can't remember his handle though

Quaoarsking
02-18-2018, 08:39 PM
If we win all of the next 4 we can probably make the NCAAT without winning the SECT, but still no guarantee.

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 08:40 PM
I remember the guy from Boston. Can't remember his handle though

Oh shit I have discovered some of it. The world cup and all the threads spawned off of it might be the most hilarious 2-3 weeks this board has ever seen. Curmudgeon, C34 and a few other soccer haters were absolutely not having it. It's why to this day all soccer posts get kicked to the BS board.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?17082-C-mon-Ghana!!!!-Kick-that-Ball-Kick-that-Ball!!!!!/page5&highlight=curmudgeon

msstate7
02-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Oh shit I have discovered some of it. The world cup and all the threads spawned off of it might be the most hilarious 2-3 weeks this board has ever seen. Curmudgeon, C34 and a few other soccer haters were absolutely not having it. It's why to this day all soccer posts get kicked to the BS board.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?17082-C-mon-Ghana!!!!-Kick-that-Ball-Kick-that-Ball!!!!!/page5&highlight=curmudgeon

ISID and I finally have common ground... we do not like soccer

confucius say
02-18-2018, 09:25 PM
If we win all of the next 4 we can probably make the NCAAT without winning the SECT, but still no guarantee.

If we win the next four we will no doubt be listed as in going into the sec tourney. We will finish between 2-4 in sec and our RPI will have jumped 30 spots from today. Three of our last four games are tier 1 games.

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 09:56 PM
Fun times.

1. I really think 23 can do it. We have big opportunities with A&M and Tennessee. Even South Carolina and LSU are good opportunities. Just need to win.
2. I still hate soccer. When do we find out who we play in the World Cup???

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Fun times.

1. I really think 23 can do it. We have big opportunities with A&M and Tennessee. Even South Carolina and LSU are good opportunities. Just need to win.
2. I still hate soccer. When do we find out who we play in the World Cup???

You need to post more on here. Just saying. Don't stalk preacher though. I am assuming you're aware we didn't qualify for the WC this time so gonna play that one off as a joke. We deserve it for being so shitty we can't beat a country the size of San Diego.

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 10:47 PM
You need to post more on here. Just saying. Don't stalk preacher though. I am assuming you're aware we didn't qualify for the WC this time so gonna play that one off as a joke. We deserve it for being so shitty we can't beat a country the size of San Diego.

Kids and work have me posting less everywhere! I'm not going to rehash the Preacher thing, but he and I know each other in real life. One day I'm going to let him in on it. I haven't seen him in years though.

I honestly believe soccer is responsible for the pussification of youth sports and the demise of the college football kicker. It might be responsible for ANTIFA and the progressive movement that is going to end up killing us all.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 10:50 PM
Kids and work have me posting less everywhere! I'm not going to rehash the Preacher thing, but he and I know each other in real life. One day I'm going to let him in on it. I haven't seen him in years though.

I honestly believe soccer is responsible for the pussification of youth sports and the demise of the college football kicker. It might be responsible for ANTIFA and the progressive movement that is going to end up killing us all.

It kills me that I don't know. Give me some clues. I wanna know man.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-18-2018, 10:52 PM

If we win the next 4 then we can win 1 in St. Louis & come home & be fine.

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 10:52 PM

Well this ain't true we all know it's from eating Tide Pods and watching Jersey Shore.

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 10:53 PM
If we win the next 4 then we can win 1 in St. Louis & come home & be fine.

We win the next 4 we might get a double bye

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Ha! I had honestly forgotten about it.

confucius say
02-18-2018, 10:58 PM

We would. No doubt.

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 10:58 PM

If we win four, there is only one scenario involving 19 other games that would result on us not being the #4 seed or higher.

Quaoarsking
02-18-2018, 11:08 PM
If we win the next four we will no doubt be listed as in going into the sec tourney. We will finish between 2-4 in sec and our RPI will have jumped 30 spots from today. Three of our last four games are tier 1 games.

When you say that our RPI will jump 30 spots, have you done the math, or are you just guessing? That seems like an unrealistically huge improvement over just 4 games this late in the season.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:10 PM
If we win four, there is only one scenario involving 19 other games that would result on us not being the #4 seed or higher.

Hints. I want hints. Are your initials LB? What about TP? Or is it JA? HINTS!! Do we know each other from school, from somewhere I've pastored? What??

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 11:11 PM
When you say that our RPI will jump 30 spots, have you done the math, or are you just guessing? That seems like an unrealistically huge improvement over just 4 games this late in the season.

I've done the math. Its not quite 30 spots, more like 21-24 spots.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:12 PM

Or is it CB? What about MS? Or DC??

confucius say
02-18-2018, 11:13 PM

I think we would go from 71 to mid forties.

confucius say
02-18-2018, 11:15 PM
Or is it CB? What about MS? Or DC??

He is a wizard with numbers, so prob not anybody from scott county.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:17 PM
He is a wizard with numbers, so prob not anybody from scott county.

Haha!! Tru dat!! I'm the only one out sc with skills like that. I kid I kid.

msstate7
02-18-2018, 11:18 PM

How can you do that with any accuracy considering rpi takes all teams in effect?

Dawg61
02-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Just now was looking at RPI and at the bottom of the page what do I discover.

Southeast Missouri State is ineligible due to APR issues

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Are you from Forest originally and are you involved with youth softball?

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 11:31 PM
You have to assume that the favored team wins a certain percentage of the time, thus the range.

RPIforecast.com allows you to play with the numbers. I do it a little differently, but this isa web based tool that anyone can use.

Here's a link to our team page: http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Mississippi%20St..html

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:34 PM

Yes and yes

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-18-2018, 11:34 PM

I remember getting rustled as hell by C34 and Curmudgeon in some of the game threads that year. Took the bait like an idiot.

I still get rustled about the bolded part. Its a death sentence because no one goes to the BS board.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:35 PM

DK?

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:40 PM
:confused:

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 11:41 PM
I remember getting rustled as hell by C34 and Curmudgeon in some of the game threads that year. Took the bait like an idiot.

I still get rustled about the bolded part. Its a death sentence because no one goes to the BS board.

It wasn't bait. I can't speak for C34, but I seriously loathe the sport and wish it would die in this country. It has ruined countless lives and it kickstarted the demise of good youth sports. That crap has made its way to baseball and softball. For what it has done in this country and for us to be so terrible on the international stage makes it even worse.

preachermatt83
02-18-2018, 11:43 PM
It wasn't bait. I can't speak for C34, but I seriously loathe the sport and wish it would die in this country. It has ruined countless lives and it kickstarted the demise of good youth sports. That crap has made its way to baseball and softball. For what it has done in this country and for us to be so terrible on the international stage makes it even worse.
I hate it too... now... HINTS

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-18-2018, 11:49 PM

I'm not getting into this again, as its a pointless argument. But I'm curious what you mean by the bolded part

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Unsolicited advice about how the soccer crew can make soccer better in this country:

1. Stop forcing it down our throats. There are some people that just aren't going to like it. Accept it and move on.
2. Accept that it is going to be a niche sport in a country that fills 100k stadiums for football. Many of the soccer diehards want to see it flourish on that level. Its just not going to happen.
3. Fix the youth system. Its a mess and it finally cost a World Cup bid. Too many daddies coaching younger players and not knowing what they are doing. Once kids get 10 years old, they should have a certified coach.
4. Move the high school season so it doesn't compete with basketball. There's some great athletes that are having to choose and the choices are becoming racial. Its a fall sport in college, it should be in high school as well.
5. You have to find a way to get it on to SEC college campuses on the men's side. You have an uphill battle with Title IX, but it will not thrive until its a viable college sport across the nation.

curmudgeon
02-18-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm not getting into this again, as its a pointless argument. But I'm curious what you mean by the bolded part

There are too many youth teams. This trend started with soccer. Some kids aren't athletes, and the "there's always a place to play" combined with parents living through their kids has kids that should be doing something else playing Upward sports or super rec league crap. I'm not against giving younger kids every opportunity, but there becomes a point - maybe its 9-10 years old, where maybe its not their thing.

There used to be an Ad Council PSA that aired that had a mom trying a kid in every sport and he was a complete failure. Then he ended up being an outstanding vocalist, singing solos in the choir. That's what that kid needed to be doing. By giving kids unlimited avenues to fail, we have created a problem. Go watch a YMCA or Upward league baseball game for 12 year olds. These kids cant throw, they cant catch, they cant run, they cant hit. Its miserable. Those kids could be future engineers or talented musicians or cure cancer, but they cant hit a baseball. Stop lying to kids and telling them they can do anything.

All this started with soccer. Ruining lives.

You know what the curmudgeon did when he couldn't hit a middle school curve ball? I started running stats. I started coordinating video. I found my place. Now its if you cant be the superstar, go to another team. If you cant play sports, you're destined to be a loser. Screw that.

preachermatt83
02-19-2018, 12:06 AM
There are too many youth teams. This trend started with soccer. Some kids aren't athletes, and the "there's always a place to play" combined with parents living through their kids has kids that should be doing something else playing Upward sports or super rec league crap. I'm not against giving younger kids every opportunity, but there becomes a point - maybe its 9-10 years old, where maybe its not their thing.

There used to be an Ad Council PSA that aired that had a mom trying a kid in every sport and he was a complete failure. Then he ended up being an outstanding vocalist, singing solos in the choir. That's what that kid needed to be doing. By giving kids unlimited avenues to fail, we have created a problem. Go watch a YMCA or Upward league baseball game for 12 year olds. These kids cant throw, they cant catch, they cant run, they cant hit. Its miserable. Those kids could be future engineers or talented musicians or cure cancer, but they cant hit a baseball. Stop lying to kids and telling them they can do anything.

All this started with soccer. Ruining lives.

You know what the curmudgeon did when he couldn't hit a middle school curve ball? I started running stats. I started coordinating video. I found my place. Now its if you cant be the superstar, go to another team. If you cant play sports, you're destined to be a loser. Screw that.

Ok so that throws out both LB and DK cause both could hit a curveball extremely well. I'm starting to think you are yanking me. I don't think we were ever friends or even knew each other.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-19-2018, 12:09 AM
Unsolicited advice about how the soccer crew can make soccer better in this country:

1. Stop forcing it down our throats. There are some people that just aren't going to like it. Accept it and move on.
2. Accept that it is going to be a niche sport in a country that fills 100k stadiums for football. Many of the soccer diehards want to see it flourish on that level. Its just not going to happen.
3. Fix the youth system. Its a mess and it finally cost a World Cup bid. Too many daddies coaching younger players and not knowing what they are doing. Once kids get 10 years old, they should have a certified coach.
4. Move the high school season so it doesn't compete with basketball. There's some great athletes that are having to choose and the choices are becoming racial. Its a fall sport in college, it should be in high school as well.
5. You have to find a way to get it on to SEC college campuses on the men's side. You have an uphill battle with Title IX, but it will not thrive until its a viable college sport across the nation.

This is mostly great advice and stuff that I would say myself as a fan of the game. I wish MSU would find a way to start a men's team and begin establishing a program before other SEC schools do (UK and USC aside). I think that soccer is slowly finding its way South, and it would be nice to be ahead of the curve.

Dawg61
02-19-2018, 12:28 AM
This is mostly great advice and stuff that I would say myself as a fan of the game. I wish MSU would find a way to start a men's team and begin establishing a program before other SEC schools do (UK and USC aside). I think that soccer is slowly finding its way South, and it would be nice to be ahead of the curve.

I'd love it if we'd drop tennis for men's soccer. **** tennis. why the hell do we have tennis over soccer? Ladies tennis is fine but men's come on. Sorry if I offended any tennis fans.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-19-2018, 01:01 AM
I'd love it if we'd drop tennis for men's soccer. **** tennis. why the hell do we have tennis over soccer? Ladies tennis is fine but men's come on. Sorry if I offended any tennis fans.
And 6 of the 8 players on the men's team are European. Talk about a sport bringing about the demise of America***

In all seriousness, we could add an equestrian team. We probably already have the facilities to house horses and I'm sure we could work in some cool opportunities for our vet school students to care for them and what not. I don't know how many scholarships an equestrian team gets, but Texas A&M's team photo has as many people as a 2A football team.

http://12thman.com/images/2017/8/31/DSC_8211.jpg?width=539

Dawg61
02-19-2018, 01:07 AM
And 6 of the 8 players on the men's team are European. Talk about a sport bringing about the demise of America***

In all seriousness, we could add an equestrian team. We probably already have the facilities to house horses and I'm sure we could work in some cool opportunities for our vet school students to care for them and what not. I don't know how many scholarships an equestrian team gets, but Texas A&M's team photo has as many people as a 2A football team.

http://12thman.com/images/2017/8/31/DSC_8211.jpg?width=539

Beach volleyball! Everyone can thank me later.

mstatefan91
02-19-2018, 01:59 AM

Even if you are joking, this is dumb. :)

Coach34
02-19-2018, 02:16 AM
Whatever Curmudgeon says about soccer- do a +1 for me

BrunswickDawg
02-19-2018, 09:39 AM

I?m not the worlds biggest soccer fan, but there is a lot of wrong in your statements

1) No one forces you to watch it, so don?t. The volume of soccer on TV is a reflection of how popular it is.

2) It already has flourished at pretty high attendance level - albeit inconsistently. The Cosmos were selling out the Meadowlands in the 70s, various international exhibition games over the years - not to mention the ?94 World Cup and ?96 Olympics sold out multiple NFL and college venues. The Atlanta United sold out the new dome with 42,000 so much, they expanded it to football seating and they hold the record for the building at 71,874 people. Now, as a whole, MLS is starting to push MLB for attendance not the NFL and they are the ones who should be scared. 90 minute matches (not 4:45 every day) cheaper tickets, and more easily accessible sport for youth to play is a bad recipe for baseball.

3) Youth soccer may be a mess in MS - but in areas like Atlanta, you just described youth soccer 30 years ago not now. Youth soccer is highly organized, well coached, and has even attracted affiliation programs with EPL teams. Hell, my little community here on the coast has a youth club affiliated with Chelsea. The down side of that is it is more expensive then rec soccer - but it?s no different then travel baseball.

4) Competes against basketball in HS? I?ve never known it as a winter sport anywhere - most states it is fall or spring. In Georgia it runs Spring and tracks a similar season timeline to baseball. If a kid is on the basketball team, they might miss early season IF they make playoffs, otherwise not much conflict. If MS is doing it was a winter sport, you are an outlier and it is a problem.

5) After all the hate, you advocate making it an SEC men?s sport??? I get that you think that the SEC holds some sort of magic keys to athletic dominance becuae ?it just means more?, but the ACC has a 30 year leg up on us in this sport. It?s funny that 12 ACC schools have figured out how to do it with the same Title IX issues and the SEC hasn?t.

CapitalCityDawg
02-19-2018, 05:40 PM
He is a numbers guy btw and has been great over the years on breakdowns:

I think 23 wins gets us in

That includes the SEC Tournament.

This team is two last second threes and a blown 13 point second half lead from being in first place in the SEC.

at Texas A&M
South Carolina
Tennessee
at LSU

all winnable games. If we win all four, we will have a double bye in the SEC Tournament. If we win three, we will probably be the 5 seed and get an opportunity to play the 12-13 winner to pick up a 24th win.

South Carolina and Tennessee games need to be sell outs especially if we win in College Station on Tuesday.

23 is the most number of wins by a Power conference team ever left out of the NCAA Tournament. It was Mississippi State in 2010.

This is not true... South Carolina was left out with 24 in 2016