PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day - Choke those Dirty Buzzards edition - MSU at USM

Pages : 1 [2]

Commercecomet24
02-16-2018, 08:49 PM
0-56 here we come ******

First game guys lot of new faces. Be patient. We are talented and have a great coach. We gonna be alright.

msstate7
02-16-2018, 08:49 PM
At least Belmont is vastly improved like everyone expected

Not taking the bait. You right... this loss all on Alexander

Bothrops
02-16-2018, 08:50 PM
We'll see what tomorrow brings, but if we do this again tomorrow, all you can say is these boys aren't ready to play.

Tbonewannabe
02-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Not taking the bait. You right... this loss all on Alexander

I didn't watch any of it but didn't Gilbert and McNamee strike out pretty much every at bat? Is this the bait you were referring to? Did anyone make good contact?

msstate7
02-16-2018, 09:12 PM
I didn't watch any of it but didn't Gilbert and McNamee strike out pretty much every at bat? Is this the bait you were referring to? Did anyone make good contact?

C34 just trolling me by saying how bad Alexander sucks. Usually I would argue, but Alexander did suck today along with pretty much the entire team

Cooterpoot
02-16-2018, 09:39 PM
If we can’t score runs the next two days, we 17ing suck. It’s that simple. We don’t have a decent catcher on the team. May not have a SS either. Damn...that shit was unacceptable.

msstate7
02-16-2018, 09:43 PM
ND beating LSU 6-0 in 5th

Dawg61
02-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Go Fighting Irish!

The Federalist Engineer
02-16-2018, 09:57 PM
At least this did not happen at the new DNF on opening day

- Luke Reynolds proved MSU was wrong to cut him for any baseball reason
- I hope James and Leibelt pitching today was because we knew Sandlin dialing a shutout, not because they are our top 2 bullpen arms
- We looked like 2015 today

Bothrops
02-16-2018, 10:07 PM

LSU grand slams 6-4

Todd4State
02-16-2018, 10:22 PM
At least this did not happen at the new DNF on opening day

- Luke Reynolds proved MSU was wrong to cut him for any baseball reason
- I hope James and Leibelt pitching today was because we knew Sandlin dialing a shutout, not because they are our top 2 bullpen arms
- We looked like 2015 today

1. No. Unless you think we should have cut Nate Lowe, Gavin Collins, Rooker, Cody Brown, or Reid Humphreys. Not sure why our fans don't get this. The guy gets hot for 2-3 weeks on a shitty team and all of a sudden he's Rod Carew. He's going to look awesome this weekend against us and then not do shit the rest of his baseball career. I better not hear about how our team lacks toughness this year from anyone that advocates bringing back a guy back that didn't work hard enough to stay on the team because I will throw that shit back in their face.
2. They aren't. Blake Smith and Self are. I would say Leibelt is among the better ones- but we left him out there to rot today.
3. Agree here. I think Cann has his work cut out for him. He's already suspended two guys in McQuary and Zane Stephens. Lots of rumors about drug problems- and yeah, I consider weed a drug since we aren't Colorado State or Alaska State. On top of that- lots of freshmen in the field and two-three average former JUCO players. Stovall and LA look like four year guys. And Mangum still swings at everything- I'd bet he would find a way to get two strikes on himself on pitches out of the zone if he went to the plate without a bat. And much like last year Pilkington got his pitch count up. Our most talented players in general are our freshmen- and Jordan Anderson needs to be in the lineup over someone. And that's usually not a good thing. Obviously it's too early to panic- but this is the kind of team that things could get out of hand with if Cann doesn't get them to straighten up. He did it last year- so at least Cann has the ability to do it. We'll see if our guys hit better now that they have used their ace up.

confucius say
02-16-2018, 11:01 PM
1. No. Unless you think we should have cut Nate Lowe, Gavin Collins, Rooker, Cody Brown, or Reid Humphreys. Not sure why our fans don't get this. The guy gets hot for 2-3 weeks on a shitty team and all of a sudden he's Rod Carew. He's going to look awesome this weekend against us and then not do shit the rest of his baseball career. I better not hear about how our team lacks toughness this year from anyone that advocates bringing back a guy back that didn't work hard enough to stay on the team because I will throw that shit back in their face.
2. They aren't. Blake Smith and Self are. I would say Leibelt is among the better ones- but we left him out there to rot today.
3. Agree here. I think Cann has his work cut out for him. He's already suspended two guys in McQuary and Zane Stephens. Lots of rumors about drug problems- and yeah, I consider weed a drug since we aren't Colorado State or Alaska State. On top of that- lots of freshmen in the field and two-three average former JUCO players. Stovall and LA look like four year guys. And Mangum still swings at everything- I'd bet he would find a way to get two strikes on himself on pitches out of the zone if he went to the plate without a bat. And much like last year Pilkington got his pitch count up. Our most talented players in general are our freshmen- and Jordan Anderson needs to be in the lineup over someone. And that's usually not a good thing. Obviously it's too early to panic- but this is the kind of team that things could get out of hand with if Cann doesn't get them to straighten up. He did it last year- so at least Cann has the ability to do it. We'll see if our guys hit better now that they have used their ace up.

1. Keep digging that hole. Everybody on here knows keeping Michael smith and his .120 avg over Reynolds and his left handed bat was stupid. It was stupid then and it was stupid in hindsight. Nobody cares if he struggled in the fall. He raked against sec pitching and he will hit at least .320 this year. And Cohen said himself Reynolds was a good kid, a hard worker, and he wished him the best. So stop with the notion that he just would not work and had an entitled attitude.

Homedawg
02-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Just stop w the Reynolds stuff. He's not here. And he wouldn't be here now had we kept him, he would have graduated by now. So quit it. Just stupid. We lost carry on

Dawgface
02-16-2018, 11:19 PM
We lost 11-0? Glad I'm not a baseball fan.

Todd4State
02-16-2018, 11:20 PM
1. Keep digging that hole. Everybody on here knows keeping Michael smith and his .120 avg over Reynolds and his left handed bat was stupid. It was stupid then and it was stupid in hindsight. Nobody cares if he struggled in the fall. He raked against sec pitching and he will hit at least .320 this year. And Cohen said himself Reynolds was a good kid, a hard worker, and he wished him the best. So stop with the notion that he just would not work and had an entitled attitude.

Really? So, we were supposed to cut the guy that was performing better and did what he was supposed to because the other guy is a good guy and was hot for a month? The guy that nearly slugged as much as Reynolds did in 2015 despite hitting .214 who could play defense and steal bases? Because anyone that is saying we should have kept Luke Reynolds- that's what you're saying. But it's cool- I know how MSU baseball fans are.

If he's that good, why is he not at another SEC school right now? At the very, very worst he could be at Alabama right now.

I'm telling you and the board based on how he performed in the fall of that year why he didn't make the team. It was very obvious at that time two years ago that his defense had not improved and that he may have also regressed as a hitter. I'm 100% sure that Cohen told him at the end of the year what he needed to work on and he simply did not do it. Now, did he learn a lesson and improve after that? Maybe so. Probably so. Based on the team we had and the roster limits- he was player 36. And it was because he didn't improve his game enough. If you think that Cohen is publically going to come out and criticize a player that he cut- you're crazy. If he's such a hard worker, why didn't he work on his game in the offseason and come back last year instead of immediately running to USM?

And I guarantee you that had we just let him stay on and he continued to struggle there would have been people wondering why we kept him on the team.

confucius say
02-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Just stop w the Reynolds stuff. He's not here. And he wouldn't be here now had we kept him, he would have graduated by now. So quit it. Just stupid. We lost carry on

I agree it has no bearing on this season or todays game. Does not mean that stating the idea that it was a good decision to keep Michael smith over him should not be called out as ridiculous.

As for this team, we will have to be dominant on the mound to be good. There is a reason Cann has started both speeches I?ve heard by discussing that our next 3 recruiting classes are all ranked top 2. That?s code for, patience, the talent is coming.

Todd4State
02-16-2018, 11:36 PM
I agree it has no bearing on this season or todays game. Does not mean that stating the idea that it was a good decision to keep Michael smith over him should not be called out as ridiculous.

As for this team, we will have to be dominant on the mound to be good. There is a reason Cann has started both speeches I?ve heard by discussing that our next 3 recruiting classes are all ranked top 2. That?s code for, patience, the talent is coming.

Yes, because keeping a player who can contribute more to the team over one who only has a higher batting average is ridiculous.

confucius say
02-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Really? So, we were supposed to cut the guy that was performing better and did what he was supposed to because the other guy is a good guy and was hot for a month? The guy that nearly slugged as much as Reynolds did in 2015 despite hitting .214 who could play defense and steal bases? Because anyone that is saying we should have kept Luke Reynolds- that's what you're saying. But it's cool- I know how MSU baseball fans are.

If he's that good, why is he not at another SEC school right now? At the very, very worst he could be at Alabama right now.

I'm telling you and the board based on how he performed in the fall of that year why he didn't make the team. It was very obvious at that time two years ago that his defense had not improved and that he may have also regressed as a hitter. I'm 100% sure that Cohen told him at the end of the year what he needed to work on and he simply did not do it. Now, did he learn a lesson and improve after that? Maybe so. Probably so. Based on the team we had and the roster limits- he was player 36. And it was because he didn't improve his game enough. If you think that Cohen is publically going to come out and criticize a player that he cut- you're crazy. If he's such a hard worker, why didn't he work on his game in the offseason and come back last year instead of immediately running to USM?

And I guarantee you that had we just let him stay on and he continued to struggle there would have been people wondering why we kept him on the team.

1. To answer your first question, yes, You keep the guy who slugged more and hit .100 points more the season prior. That?s an easy decision.

2. No, I don?t think Cohen would come out publically and criticize him. But he would not, unprovoked, speak glowingly about the kid unless it were true. He brought it up when he did not have to.

3. Bc usm is a top 25 program and Bama is not.

4. He went to usm bc they told him he had a roster spot and we would not tell him the same.

5. Goodnight. Hail state.

confucius say
02-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Yes, because keeping a player who can contribute more to the team over one who only has a higher batting average is ridiculous.

But Smith did not contribute to the team. Even if you think he possibly could have done so it would have been as a pinch runner 2-3 meaningful times all year. He was not even used as a + defensive replacement late in games. Give me the guy who hits over one hundred points higher every time.

When nobody on here agrees with you, you likely are wrong.

Homedawg
02-16-2018, 11:50 PM

I won't argue with patience. Haven't seen me say this is going to be a great team. Starting 3 true fr is a recipe for disaster. But with all that said, One game doesn't make it that way. We will scrap and claw and be a good club and be as good as our pitching takes us

BuckyIsAB****
02-17-2018, 12:08 AM

WTF. Not just calling you out Todd but since bascially the end of last year we've all been excited, hell look at the predictions thread of the season that was on the board the other day.

Now all of a sudden we're a bunch of pot smoking losers that might go full 2015???

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:16 AM
1. To answer your first question, yes, You keep the guy who slugged more and hit .100 points more the season prior. That?s an easy decision.

2. No, I don?t think Cohen would come out publically and criticize him. But he would not, unprovoked, speak glowingly about the kid unless it were true. He brought it up when he did not have to.

3. Bc usm is a top 25 program and Bama is not.

4. He went to usm bc they told him he had a roster spot and we would not tell him the same.

5. Goodnight. Hail state.

1. Luke Reynolds SLG% in 2015- .370 Michael Smith SLG% in 2015 .333 Smith had only four less extra base hits in about 75 less PA's. Reynolds was hitting .154 going into the Arkansas series that year and basically got white hot against LSU and Ole Miss and that's why his average is inflated- due to a small sample size. All our fans see is the bottom line and think he is some hitting machine.

2. I'm sure Cohen has gotten some e-mails about it from people like you though. It's pretty unlikely that he would just bring it up- which he hasn't done with the first baseman at Auburn Dylan Ingram who has performed much better than Reynolds.

3. If you are a baseball player you take the SEC team every time. Alabama currently has six players in MLB. USM has produced seven MLB players ALL TIME.

4. But he's not entitled and is obviously a hard worker.**

5. Good night.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:19 AM
But Smith did not contribute to the team. Even if you think he possibly could have done so it would have been as a pinch runner 2-3 meaningful times all year. He was not even used as a + defensive replacement late in games. Give me the guy who hits over one hundred points higher every time.

When nobody on here agrees with you, you likely are wrong.

Obviously you forgot the SR when we took out Rooker and put Smith in for his defense. And he played in 39 games with only 14 AB's while scoring 11 runs. I'd say we used him a decent amount that year.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:40 AM
WTF. Not just calling you out Todd but since bascially the end of last year we've all been excited, hell look at the predictions thread of the season that was on the board the other day.

Now all of a sudden we're a bunch of pot smoking losers that might go full 2015???

I also said it was too early to panic. I kind of want to see how the entire weekend goes before I fully comment on it- but my point is it "could get like that"- that doesn't mean I think it will. Based on last year. Last year the same thing could have happened as well- heck I remember MSU web site owners talking about how bad last year could be this time of the year.

Just that we do have some issues and things that Cann is going to have to clean up that were here before he came on board. The good news is we have better pitching right now than we did in 2015. Or last year. Sure, the three guys had a rough time today but Pilkington was fine and got his pitch count up and Leibelt was out there to rot to save our arms for the other two games. I don't think that's indicative of what this staff is going to be by the end of the year.

As far as today and really the whole weekend- you have to factor in the fact that we were playing a team that has wanted to beat us since we eliminated them last year. They have something to prove to us and will be really focused. We started three freshmen and a JUCO catcher in their first college action today- and most of them made some mistakes. I think the bottom line is we just didn't match their intensity. We're going to have to match that intensity the next two days to win the series- we'll see if it happens.

Personally- I think our program has suffered from baseball players resting on the laurels of past teams at times. I think that's part of what happened in 2015 and going back to when we went to the National Finals in Omaha. It has certainly cycled out at times- we got our asses embarrassed in 2015 which spurned us on to the SEC Championship in 2016 but then we start off really slow last year until Cann suspends a couple of guys. Now we go to a SR and we have a guy suspended the entire year for failing a drug test, another guy suspended for a DUI, and another guy suspended because he couldn't get to practice on time. So, that's why I'm saying I don't think the focus is exactly where it needs to be- at least not yet. And if we're going to avoid slow starts and having seasons like 2015 we need to recruit players that are focused on winning and not OK being considered awesome around Starkville because they played on the same team as Brent Rooker or Hunter Renfroe.

Now, if all of that goes on long enough- then yeah it could be like 2015. But to be honest by the same token- it also could end up like last year too if we deal with it soon enough like Cann did last year. And I think that was the main difference between 2015 and 2017 is Cohen didn't handle it soon enough or didn't handle it right.

And my point about talking about how many freshmen and JUCO guys and all of that- we have got to get our recruiting more balanced so that we don't have a team where we're starting half freshmen and JUCO guys and few juniors. Cann is starting to do that- but it's going to take another year or two to get it where it needs to be. And that's not saying that we can't or won't have success in the meantime. Just that it's going to take Cann a few years to get our program where we really want it.

MarketingBully
02-17-2018, 06:04 AM
I really don’t understand our fans at all. Do you guys just love to complain about everything? Seriously. It was opening day in a sport that has what 50-60 games? Chill please. I’ll say this though at least it’s gotten you guys off complaining about the men’s basketball team...I’ll take that.

MarketingBully
02-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Todd, there’s no use explaining yourself to these guys. They would complain regardless of what we did yesterday.

MarketingBully
02-17-2018, 06:14 AM
In 2016, we lost 10-6 and 4-0 to a Florida Atlantic team at Dudy Noble Field to start the season 1-2. I think that year turned out okay. They also beat Hudson. So I would chill with the sky is falling after one game. Southern Miss is a better team then Florida Atlantic and we are playing them at their place not the Dude. Perspective...

confucius say
02-17-2018, 08:06 AM
In 2016, we lost 10-6 and 4-0 to a Florida Atlantic team at Dudy Noble Field to start the season 1-2. I think that year turned out okay. They also beat Hudson. So I would chill with the sky is falling after one game. Southern Miss is a better team then Florida Atlantic and we are playing them at their place not the Dude. Perspective...

No need to panic, but this club ain?t going to be anywhere close to 2016 offensively. Better pitch it really well.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 08:08 AM
Obviously you forgot the SR when we took out Rooker and put Smith in for his defense. And he played in 39 games with only 14 AB's while scoring 11 runs. I'd say we used him a decent amount that year.

I remember the SR well. I remember smith having to hit in a key spot. Of course it didn?t end well. Would have loved to have a career .320 hitter there.

msstate7
02-17-2018, 08:12 AM
No need to panic, but this club ain?t going to be anywhere close to 2016 offensively. Better pitch it really well.

Yep. May need to play some small ball this season.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 08:13 AM
1. Luke Reynolds SLG% in 2015- .370 Michael Smith SLG% in 2015 .333 Smith had only four less extra base hits in about 75 less PA's. Reynolds was hitting .154 going into the Arkansas series that year and basically got white hot against LSU and Ole Miss and that's why his average is inflated- due to a small sample size. All our fans see is the bottom line and think he is some hitting machine.

2. I'm sure Cohen has gotten some e-mails about it from people like you though. It's pretty unlikely that he would just bring it up- which he hasn't done with the first baseman at Auburn Dylan Ingram who has performed much better than Reynolds.

3. If you are a baseball player you take the SEC team every time. Alabama currently has six players in MLB. USM has produced seven MLB players ALL TIME.

4. But he's not entitled and is obviously a hard worker.**

5. Good night.

1. You insult the intelligence of our fans a lot. There are several on here who know exactly why he hit over .300 and for you to claim it was a 6 game hit streak and that is all insults us.

2. Never emailed a coach. Do not know why he brought it up.

3. Maybe so.

4. The fact you think a kid going to a school with a place for him makes him entitled is interesting.

5. Hope you slept well. What you think small does today?

msstate7
02-17-2018, 08:17 AM
What is it with the Lukes around MSU baseball that make them so polarizing? Usually it is Luke Alexander that creates these debates, but Luke Reynolds has taken LA?s spot lol

msbulldog
02-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Let's not confuse things with logic. +1

msstate7
02-17-2018, 08:36 AM
When you consider usm scored 4 runs in 6 ip with 7 hits against our best pitcher and one of our best arms, it is obviously Luke Reynolds is a hitter bc he is their 3-hole hitter. The guy can hit... he has destroyed sec pitching going back to hit time here once he got acclimated to div 1 baseball. I think he will be all conf USA this season

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 08:52 AM
1. You insult the intelligence of our fans a lot. There are several on here who know exactly why he hit over .300 and for you to claim it was a 6 game hit streak and that is all insults us.

2. Never emailed a coach. Do not know why he brought it up.

3. Maybe so.

4. The fact you think a kid going to a school with a place for him makes him entitled is interesting.

5. Hope you slept well. What you think small does today?

The six game hit streak is what it is. It's not something I pulled out of my ass. He was below the Mendoza line most of his career and then he got hot. It's in black and white.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 08:55 AM
When you consider usm scored 4 runs in 6 ip with 7 hits against our best pitcher and one of our best arms, it is obviously Luke Reynolds is a hitter bc he is their 3-hole hitter. The guy can hit... he has destroyed sec pitching going back to hit time here once he got acclimated to div 1 baseball. I think he will be all conf USA this season

It's obvious he's a C-USA player with a chip on his shoulder. If he's that great how come Cohen cut him? How come Butch didn't take him at Auburn? How come Mingione wouldn't take him at Kentucky?

Do you really think Cohen just cut a guy who was a good hitter just because?

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 09:09 AM
https://msstate_ftp.sidearmsports.com

So people don't think I'm "insulting their intelligence".

msstate7
02-17-2018, 09:10 AM
It's obvious he's a C-USA player with a chip on his shoulder. If he's that great how come Cohen cut him? How come Butch didn't take him at Auburn? How come Mingione wouldn't take him at Kentucky?

No idea. Perhaps, just perhaps, Cohen (like all men) is not perfect and messed up.

I am a little confused by your cusa slight. Are you saying none of usm guys are good enough for us? If so, that is beyond ridiculous

ETA... I am a huge Cohen fan too, so I am not in any way trying to rip cohen

basedog
02-17-2018, 09:23 AM
I just shouldn't have read the melt by you naysayers poor mouth, live in the dark that don't get out of the house on message boards.

One game and the first one is insane, adjustments will be made, we lost some talent last year. Usm isn't a bad team, this weekend is there CWS.

Cann will survive not like some of you, before you folks give up on this team and season, maybe some should step away for a day or two.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 09:33 AM
No idea. Perhaps, just perhaps, Cohen (like all men) is not perfect and messed up.

I am a little confused by your cusa slight. Are you saying none of usm guys are good enough for us? If so, that is beyond ridiculous

ETA... I am a huge Cohen fan too, so I am not in any way trying to rip cohen

OK Matt Wallner could play for anyone in the SEC. There are exceptions but most of them can't play in the SEC. It is what it is.

It's not a Cohen thing for me. It's a guy that didn't do what he was supposed to do got cut but somehow it's a mistake on our part because he learned a lesson and got better for it. I just don't like MSU fans bashing MSU because of something that wasn't MSU's fault. Especially since a lot of those same fans will probably bash our current players at some point and all they do is look at a stat line without taking everything else into consideration. But at the same time they'll contradict themselves by wanting to keep a player who we justifyingly cut because he's "a good kid"? WTF?

That's what it is. But our idiot fans will keep glorifying this guy. The same guy that was so great that neither of his own two former assistant coaches would take. Or Alabama who had a coach who has massive connections at Hinds where he used to play before MSU and could have used him but still didn't take him. But he goes to the first place that has a guaranteed spot for him- and takes the easier way. Which is fine- that's his business. But don't expect me to bash MSU for that.

Hope that clears things up.

Dawg61
02-17-2018, 09:39 AM
What time is the game today? Thanks in advance

msstate7
02-17-2018, 09:42 AM
What time is the game today? Thanks in advance

confucius say
02-17-2018, 09:47 AM
The six game hit streak is what it is. It's not something I pulled out of my ass. He was below the Mendoza line most of his career and then he got hot. It's in black and white.

What you pulled out of your ass is that the 6 game hit streak was the reason he hit over .300. He tore it up over two months.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 09:48 AM

He may be. But still better than Michael smith.

msstate7
02-17-2018, 09:52 AM
What you pulled out of your ass is that the 6 game hit streak was the reason he hit over .300. He tore it up over two months.

Also had a .439 obp. Struck out 22 times and walked 21. Pretty impressive

Bully13
02-17-2018, 09:57 AM
OK Matt Wallner could play for anyone in the SEC. There are exceptions but most of them can't play in the SEC. It is what it is.

It's not a Cohen thing for me. It's a guy that didn't do what he was supposed to do got cut but somehow it's a mistake on our part because he learned a lesson and got better for it. I just don't like MSU fans bashing MSU because of something that wasn't MSU's fault. Especially since a lot of those same fans will probably bash our current players at some point and all they do is look at a stat line without taking everything else into consideration. But at the same time they'll contradict themselves by wanting to keep a player who we justifyingly cut because he's "a good kid"? WTF?

That's what it is. But our idiot fans will keep glorifying this guy. The same guy that was so great that neither of his own two former assistant coaches would take. Or Alabama who had a coach who has massive connections at Hinds where he used to play before MSU and could have used him but still didn't take him. But he goes to the first place that has a guaranteed spot for him- and takes the easier way. Which is fine- that's his business. But don't expect me to bash MSU for that.

Hey Todd, do you know for a fact Reynolds tried to get on with KY, AU & AL and all 3 turned him down? just wondering. Are you saying the team that just kicked the shit out of us has no players good enough to play in the SEC? I think Cohen made a mistake cutting Reynolds. All great coaches make mistakes sometimes.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Bohannon and Ostrander both tried to get him, fyi.

And I could not care less what kind of kid he is. I am a huge Cohen guy, but he made a mistake. Reynolds > Smith.

Again, the fact that nobody agrees with you on this doesn?t make all of us ?idiot fans.? When you are the only one taking a position, it is usually wrong. But i am not going to convince you I know. So I am done.

maroonmania
02-17-2018, 10:16 AM
I won't argue with patience. Haven't seen me say this is going to be a great team. Starting 3 true fr is a recipe for disaster. But with all that said, One game doesn't make it that way. We will scrap and claw and be a good club and be as good as our pitching takes us

Agree that we need to keep our expectations in check for this team. Starting 3 true freshmen is almost unheard of for us. And while they are talented I'm sure, they certainly aren't the Raffy Palmeiro level true freshman that can come in here and hit .400+ in their first year. If any of them hit over .300 that would be a big bonus. Add to that the fact that another one of starters playing SS was benched last year due to lack of production at the plate. We certainly need pitching to carry this team, at least early on, but giving up 11 runs on opening day is not a good start for that.

Bodawg
02-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Usm won 50 games last season. They returned a strong core. Losing by 11 was a shock. Thought Pilk would match their AA pitcher very well. Reynolds struggled at State but judging from last night, has matured into a good college baseball player. Hopefully Small can give us a good outing and we can produce some runs today.

Coach34
02-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Damn- looks like we are going 0-60

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 11:13 AM
April to May = 2 months?

I'm the one pulling things out of my ass? And that's not even counting Smith's BA that you obviously made up too.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Hey Todd, do you know for a fact Reynolds tried to get on with KY, AU & AL and all 3 turned him down? just wondering. Are you saying the team that just kicked the shit out of us has no players good enough to play in the SEC? I think Cohen made a mistake cutting Reynolds. All great coaches make mistakes sometimes.

I'm saying they didn't ask. And if he's that good why didn't he go? I think we just got beat by a team on the road by a team highly motivated to beat us. USM is a good program. But look at their record against us the past few years and make your conclusion. It's not much different than UCF beating Auburn. Which program is better long term? It happens in baseball. Just like when LSU losing to Tulane- which program is better overall and has better players overall. Being better on one day or one weekend doesn't mean a program or team is better in baseball in the big picture.

Just like USM was better when we played them in Jackson last year but then we improved and were the better team by the end of the year.

We'll just have to disagree about Cohen making a mistake.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Bohannon and Ostrander both tried to get him, fyi.

And I could not care less what kind of kid he is. I am a huge Cohen guy, but he made a mistake. Reynolds > Smith.

Again, the fact that nobody agrees with you on this doesn?t make all of us ?idiot fans.? When you are the only one taking a position, it is usually wrong. But i am not going to convince you I know. So I am done.

That's bullshit because Bohannon wasn't at Alabama last year and he was already at USM and sure wasn't going to sit out again.

Just because others don't think I'm right doesn't mean I'm wrong. And just because others don't agree it doesn't mean I'm going to go along with it.

I'm sorry your friend didn't make the team. He should have worked harder.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 11:26 AM
And he'll even yesterday- who made USM's only error? Everyone's favorite Golden Eagle. And that doesn't count the bunt single that Jake got on him for a hit. Wonder why Jake choose him to bunt at.

Coach34
02-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Not keeping Reynolds was 100% a mistake- can't really be argued at this point.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 11:49 AM
April to May = 2 months?

I'm the one pulling things out of my ass? And that's not even counting Smith's BA that you obviously made up too.

April and May. Yes, two months.

And smith hit .208 and .214. Literally the lowest avg on the team.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 11:50 AM
I'm saying they didn't ask. And if he's that good why didn't he go? I think we just got beat by a team on the road by a team highly motivated to beat us. USM is a good program. But look at their record against us the past few years and make your conclusion. It's not much different than UCF beating Auburn. Which program is better long term? It happens in baseball. Just like when LSU losing to Tulane- which program is better overall and has better players overall. Being better on one day or one weekend doesn't mean a program or team is better in baseball in the big picture.

Just like USM was better when we played them in Jackson last year but then we improved and were the better team by the end of the year.

We'll just have to disagree about Cohen making a mistake.

Actually 2 of the 3 did inquire. I do not know if they actually offered.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 11:53 AM
That's bullshit because Bohannon wasn't at Alabama last year and he was already at USM and sure wasn't going to sit out again.

Just because others don't think I'm right doesn't mean I'm wrong. And just because others don't agree it doesn't mean I'm going to go along with it.

I'm sorry your friend didn't make the team. He should have worked harder.

I did not say bohannon or ostrander were at Bama when they tried to get him.

And I?ve never even met Reynolds. I do know several people who know him though, fwiw.

confucius say
02-17-2018, 11:58 AM
And he'll even yesterday- who made USM's only error? Everyone's favorite Golden Eagle. And that doesn't count the bunt single that Jake got on him for a hit. Wonder why Jake choose him to bunt at.

He is not good defensively, no doubt. Heck of a left handed option to DH or pinch hit though. Which we really could have used at DH against righties seeing as though when hump DH he was atrocious against righties.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:38 PM
April and May. Yes, two months.

And smith hit .208 and .214. Literally the lowest avg on the team.

April 26- May 26 is not two months.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:41 PM
He is not good defensively, no doubt. Heck of a left handed option to DH or pinch hit though. Which we really could have used at DH against righties seeing as though when hump DH he was atrocious against righties.

And then who plays defense? That's the thing that gets missed.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Actually 2 of the 3 did inquire. I do not know if they actually offered.

If they did offer and he chose USM he didn't make a wise choice. I highly doubt they did. Ostrander was at La Tech I believe before he went to Alabama so that's obviously not a SEC offer.

YurdMe
02-17-2018, 12:56 PM
We just have terrible coaching and players. Can’t hang with southern miss. They are a top notch team who will no doubt go to Omaha. We just have to focus on the next team on the schedule and hang this series up!

vv83
02-17-2018, 01:00 PM
We just have terrible coaching and players. Can’t hang with southern miss. They are a top notch team who will no doubt go to Omaha. We just have to focus on the next team on the schedule and hang this series up!

Hope you had fun here while you could

Bully13
02-17-2018, 01:02 PM
And then who plays defense? That's the thing that gets missed.

I have no problem with a sub par defensive player as long as he drives in more than he lets thru. cutting him was a mistake then and in hindsight even a worse mistake. especially considering how offensively weak we are. if any of those coaches turned him down, they made mistakes too.

YurdMe
02-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Hope you had fun here while you could
Just saying what everyone knows is true but doesn’t wanna be the one to say it bud.

The Federalist Engineer
02-17-2018, 01:06 PM
For me Reid Humphries vs Bobby Dalbec of Arizona was a Gene Morgan moment for MSU baseball. A tragedy that cost us a National Championship.

A dude that could not hit right-handers, especially a quality starter for a great team like Arizona. Plus, he was a make-believe OF.

We have Rooker in Left Field and (Left-handed hitter) Luke Reynolds as DH, I don't kink we lose that damn game. I know that it cannot be proven, but I think Reynolds gives us 4 competitive ABs rather than what Humphreys gave us that day (0-4 with 3Ks). Plus, Rooker catches the fly ball that Humphreys dropped.

The above is the perspective of a baseball fan, with no pedigree or specialized knowledge of the game, my specialty is message board conspiracy theories

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 01:23 PM
I have no problem with a sub par defensive player as long as he drives in more than he lets thru. cutting him was a mistake then and in hindsight even a worse mistake. especially considering how offensively weak we are. if any of those coaches turned him down, they made mistakes too.

Well he would have graduated by now had he stayed so that is moot. I would say sub par is being nice.

Same shit different person. Guy is great until he costs us a game in the field and then it's the guy sucks and is a singles hitter who should have been cut. Guy goes to USM plays motivated and gets a couple of hits and all of a sudden it's a "100% mistake".

msstate7
02-17-2018, 01:26 PM
35 mins to first pitch... we should just let this thread die.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 01:26 PM
For me Reid Humphries vs Bobby Dalbec of Arizona was a Gene Morgan moment for MSU baseball. A tragedy that cost us a National Championship.

A dude that could not hit right-handers, especially a quality starter for a great team like Arizona. Plus, he was a make-believe OF.

We have Rooker in Left Field and (Left-handed hitter) Luke Reynolds as DH, I don't kink we lose that damn game. I know that it cannot be proven, but I think Reynolds gives us 4 competitive ABs rather than what Humphreys gave us that day (0-4 with 3Ks). Plus, Rooker catches the fly ball that Humphreys dropped.

The above is the perspective of a baseball fan, with no pedigree or specialized knowledge of the game, my specialty is message board conspiracy theories

My conjecture is Cohen would have played Cody Brown over Reynolds. Probably. And Cody is a reason why Luke was expendable. And cutting Cody Brown would have 100% been a mistake.

YurdMe
02-17-2018, 01:46 PM
My conjecture is Cohen would have played Cody Brown over Reynolds. Probably. And Cody is a reason why Luke was expendable. And cutting Cody Brown would have 100% been a mistake.

Please quit talking when you have no idea what you’re talking about. Kids these days.

Coach34
02-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Just saying what everyone knows is true but doesn’t wanna be the one to say it bud.

coming in trolling is not the way to stay very long

YurdMe
02-17-2018, 02:04 PM
State is trash

Bulldog1
02-17-2018, 02:05 PM
State is trash

This guy must be a troll

YurdMe
02-17-2018, 02:08 PM
I am. I’m a southern fan.

Bully13
02-17-2018, 02:10 PM
coming in trolling is not the way to stay very long

why is this 17 nut still here?

Mutt the Hoople
02-17-2018, 07:02 PM
I am. I’m a southern fan.

How are you and other nine southern fans gonna celebrate tonight?

BeardoMSU
02-17-2018, 07:09 PM
How are you and other nine southern fans gonna celebrate tonight?

Go to the Hattiesburg Hunt Club, get shit faced on bud light, throw up like weak bitches, then in the morning go home to their parents house in Vancleave to do their laundry and beg for money to float this month's bills. This is the typical USM student life cycle.

Commercecomet24
02-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Go to the Hattiesburg Hunt Club, get shit faced on bud light, throw up like weak bitches, then in the morning go home to their parents house in Vancleave to do their laundry and beg for money to float this month's bills. This is the typical USM student life cycle.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/566/702/3f2.jpeg