PDA

View Full Version : Dan was Just on QB & Coach

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Say what you want about Hal Mumme & that show, but they get some hellacious interviews. A few days ago Brett Favre called in & today they had Dan on, in what I think may be his first interview with a Mississippi based show since he left.

I didn't catch the entire thing, but he knows he will be booed when Florida comes here & asks everyone to "ring responsibly"

I didn't catch if Bond or Mumme got a good explanation as to why he left. Did anyone hear the entire interview?

Coach34
02-16-2018, 11:39 AM
He had been trying to leave for 3 years. He'd be at Tenn if not for Florida sliding in at the last minute. He believes its easier to win a title at Florida- so he went there. And he is right- it is.

Cooterpoot
02-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Danny logic- Move to an easier place to win. Keep coaches that make it harder to win.

mstatefan91
02-16-2018, 11:46 AM
He had been trying to leave for 3 years. He'd be at Tenn if not for Florida sliding in at the last minute. He believes its easier to win a title at Florida- so he went there. And he is right- it is.

Also easier to get fired

Homedawg
02-16-2018, 12:07 PM

This. All of it.

sandwolf
02-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Also easier to get fired

I really don't think that the fear of failure is a factor for coaches at this level. First of all, they are paid so much that they don't have the financial considerations that most of us do. Second, good coaches are generally confident in their abilities and believe that they are going to succeed.

Acid mouth
02-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Also easier to get fired

Yup. And regardless of what Don thinks, he ain?t winning a title at Florida

Cooterpoot
02-16-2018, 12:52 PM
I really don't think that the fear of failure is a factor for coaches at this level. First of all, they are paid so much that they don't have the financial considerations that most of us do. Second, good coaches are generally confident in their abilities and believe that they are going to succeed.

Some truth in that. When you know a school will still pay you $10 million when they fire you, you've got it made.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-16-2018, 01:02 PM
WTF is Bond thinking? He's giving him a platform in MS.

msbulldog
02-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Some truth in that. When you know a school will still pay you $10 million when they fire you, you've got it made.

Yea I'd be like please fire me.

JoseBrown
02-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Say what you want about Hal Mumme & that show, but they get some hellacious interviews. A few days ago Brett Favre called in & today they had Dan on, in what I think may be his first interview with a Mississippi based show since he left.

I didn't catch the entire thing, but he knows he will be booed when Florida comes here & asks everyone to "ring responsibly"

I didn't catch if Bond or Mumme got a good explanation as to why he left. Did anyone hear the entire interview?

Yes, you are correct about their interviews. Coach Lou Holtz called in yesterday. He was funny as hell too, telling stories, cracking jokes. Said that’s all he has to look forward to anymore. Told some Spurrier stories. They asked about Skip, how he was doing. His response was, remember Smokey And The Bandit, Buford T. Justice, he is not a product of his loins, when he gets home he gonna smack his momma in the mouth...haha

Very enjoyable show, even with all the name dropping.. especially because they call in...

msbulldog
02-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Listen to it every day.

Drugdog
02-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Was Jackson from OOB there mumbling?

Jarius
02-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Also easier to get fired

Money is no longer an issue for Mullen. He wants a title and that's a better place to accomplish that. He's not gonna win a title anywhere because he won't recruit well enough, but he thinks it's easier there.

Todd4State
02-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Ironically it's easier for MSU to win A championship without Dan Mullen.

TrapGame
02-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Money is no longer an issue for Mullen. He wants a title and that's a better place to accomplish that. He's not gonna win a title anywhere because he won't recruit well enough, but he thinks it's easier there.

As long as Mullen has the Country Club he'll never win a championship.

ScoobaDawg
02-16-2018, 05:30 PM
If anyone finds a link.. I want to listen to it.. for some weird reason

Todd4State
02-16-2018, 07:26 PM
As long as Mullen has the Country Club he'll never win a championship.

That and I think he deep down inside has a lot of insecurity about himself. You can tell anytime something would happen that wouldn't go right that was questionable like a fake punt call or when the media finally questioned him about Holloway starting. I think that was one big reason why he seemed to like the job searches and people talking about him- it helped validate to him in his mind that he was good.

The other thing is if he keeps playing upperclassmen over underclassmen it will always limit the ceiling of his team. Even at Florida.

But back to my original point- I think he likes the country club in part because they are a bunch of yes men who don't question him. It seemed to me like being on the outside that the one offensive assistant we had that he clashed the most with was Hud. My guess is because Hud probably had some ideas and ways of doing things that were different than Dan and I'm sure some of his ideas as far as play calling worked well- which probably made Dan feel threatened. The fact of the matter is our play calling became a lot more predictable and a lot less creative after Hud left if you look at highlight films of MSU from the 2009-2010 season vs. the rest of the time Dan was here. For example- the wishbone in 2009 on the goal line and shifting from a spread formation into the pro-style I-formation and then snapping the ball quickly. It seemed like we ran more screens and like the screens weren't as elaborate and complicated when Hud was here too. See the 2010 Egg Bowl.

That's one reason why I like having Hud back on staff- yes, he's a great recruiter with a lot of ties in some hostile areas for us- but he's also a pretty creative offensive football coach. That could pair well with Joe assuming Joe doesn't have the same insecurities that Dan did.

BrunswickDawg
02-16-2018, 09:52 PM
I think that was one seemed like we ran more screens and like the screens weren't as elaborate and complicated when Hud was here too. See the 2010 Egg Bowl.
The 2011 Gator Bowl stands out for screens too. I remember a couple of good ones to Vic, then a couple of long ones to Perk, and I thought ?Damn, these two guys are going to be hell on wheels as a combo next year? - then I think Dan never threw a screen to either one again. Ever.

Buddy
02-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Yes, you are correct about their interviews. Coach Lou Holtz called in yesterday. He was funny as hell too, telling stories, cracking jokes. Said that’s all he has to look forward to anymore. Told some Spurrier stories. They asked about Skip, how he was doing. His response was, remember Smokey And The Bandit, Buford T. Justice, he is not a product of his loins, when he gets home he gonna smack his momma in the mouth...haha

Very enjoyable show, even with all the name dropping.. especially because they call in...

That wasn't Lou Holtz. It was a friend of JB's impersonating him. I didn't think he was very good at it either.

Dawg50
02-17-2018, 01:02 AM

I agree have to agree with this post. After we reached #1 with the Auburn victory (thanks to Dak), he choked on his own ego. His record against top 25 teams is dismal. We had Alabama down in the 4th & he wouldn't go for it with Nick, heck, Matt Luke outcoached him badly last November.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 01:37 AM
I agree have to agree with this post. After we reached #1 with the Auburn victory (thanks to Dak), he choked on his own ego. His record against top 25 teams is dismal. We had Alabama down in the 4th & he wouldn't go for it with Nick, heck, Matt Luke outcoached him badly last November.

Yeah- I can't think of very many games that we won where it was a top opponent and we won because of a great play call. It's usually we either blew them out and won or we just didn't win. Like LSU 2014- we won but we had a huge lead and it came down to a Hail Mary because Dan decided to put his back ups in with a LOT of time remaining. Thank God Les Miles didn't have a Les Miles moment there. I'll be lying if I didn't say that the possibility of that happening didn't cross my mind when I was sitting in the stands. Maybe the 4th down call against Ole Miss where Bumphis scored a TD but that was kind of a backyard play as much as anything. Still awesome though.

I almost came unglued in the stands after the 2009 LSU game though where Tyson didn't pitch it and we had AD. He made a terrible coaching decision in the St. Petersburg Bowl that could have cost us the game when he had Damien Williams throw the ball instead of running the ball or calling time out so that we could get Nick back in the game. Running the ball and not getting the first down would have at worst kept the clock running. But we throw it, lose the ball on downs and thankfully the Miami of Ohio kicker was terrible.

Token Bammer
02-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Not a flame, but is this sour grapes? Do you guys really believe this?

Dan was super successful at MSU and did an amazing job. He had State in a few positions with opportunities to do some incredible things. Obviously he never quite pulled it off, but he did a heck of job building a program at MSU and was a legit threat at times.

JoMo may set the world on fire, I honestly don't know, but it looks like many are discounting just how good Dan Mullen was for MSU.

For the record, I personally don't think Mullen is a good fit at UF, and I think he'll be done in 4 years.

Just a Bammer's opinion.

thf24
02-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Dan was super successful at MSU and did an amazing job. He had State in a few positions with opportunities to do some incredible things. Obviously he never quite pulled it off, but he did a heck of job building a program at MSU and was a legit threat at times.

JoMo may set the world on fire, I honestly don't know, but it looks like many are discounting just how good Dan Mullen was for MSU.

For the record, I personally don't think Mullen is a good fit at UF, and I think he'll be done in 4 years.

Just a Bammer's opinion.

I don't think anyone is saying Dan didn't do a tremendous job building and progressing the program, and aren't greatly appreciative for it. The criticism is that he had some specific flaws that caused us to fall short when we had an opportunity to take another step at multiple points in time over the second half of his tenure. While it may be a little too strong, the optimism for JoMo is that at first glance he appears to have answers for the areas that caused Dan to more or less plateau here.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Just a Bammer's opinion.

Yes. What thf said.

Dan was just inflexible.

maroonmania
02-17-2018, 09:26 PM

Just a Bammer's opinion.

How do you propose that a coach win a championship when he spends the last month of every good season working on finding a new job? That's the primary reason we lost 3 of the last 4 to OM even though we usually had the better team. The one year we destroyed OM was when we came into the game at 4-7 (2016) and nobody else was interested in Mullen. We may not be able to win a championship with JoMo, we don't know yet, but we sure as heck weren't going to win one with Mullen. His whole focus had become climbing the coaching ladder and getting out of Starkville, not winning a championship of any kind at MSU.

Todd4State
02-17-2018, 10:36 PM
How do you propose that a coach win a championship when he spends the last month of every good season working on finding a new job? That's the primary reason we lost 3 of the last 4 to OM even though we usually had the better team. The one year we destroyed OM was when we came into the game at 4-7 (2016) and nobody else was interested in Mullen. We may not be able to win a championship with JoMo, we don't know yet, but we sure as heck weren't going to win one with Mullen. His whole focus had become climbing the coaching ladder and getting out of Starkville, not winning a championship of any kind at MSU.

I think it was that and two other things that held Dan and us back:

1. He did not recruit well enough and was inflexible with his recruiting style. Comparing our Junior Day today to any Junior Day under Dan doesn't even compare. Joe has me thinking that I might have actually possibly underrated our ceiling based on who he is attracting to MSU so far. We may actually be more like 10-15 as opposed to the 15-20 that I thought we were.

2. He was not willing to put the best personnel on the field at times or used players improperly. We're not going to beat Bama ever running Holloway up the middle even with Dak as our QB. We proved that in 2015.

maroonmania
02-17-2018, 10:51 PM
I think it was that and two other things that held Dan and us back:

1. He did not recruit well enough and was inflexible with his recruiting style. Comparing our Junior Day today to any Junior Day under Dan doesn't even compare. Joe has me thinking that I might have actually possibly underrated our ceiling based on who he is attracting to MSU so far. We may actually be more like 10-15 as opposed to the 15-20 that I thought we were.

2. He was not willing to put the best personnel on the field at times or used players improperly. We're not going to beat Bama ever running Holloway up the middle even with Dak as our QB. We proved that in 2015.

Agree on both of those AND I believe we already have a better overall coaching staff that what Mullen had strictly because JoMo was willing to take less money so he could have more money for assistants. That's a much different attitude from Mullen who was pushing the envelope every year for the max salary he could get from us every year. Now granted Joe is taking significantly less than even the current SEC going rate but I think that just shows the type guy he is. He is in this to win and have as good a program as he can, not just to make every dime possible.

Token Bammer
02-18-2018, 12:08 AM
All good points fellas. Thanks for the responses. I see where you're coming from. Here's to hoping you guys take the next the step!

ScoobaDawg
02-18-2018, 02:19 AM
All good points fellas. Thanks for the responses. I see where you're coming from. Here's to hoping you guys take the next the step!

You sure about that? The next step is beating Bama..

msbulldog
02-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Agree on both of those AND I believe we already have a better overall coaching staff that what Mullen had strictly because JoMo was willing to take less money so he could have more money for assistants. That's a much different attitude from Mullen who was pushing the envelope every year for the max salary he could get from us every year. Now granted Joe is taking significantly less than even the current SEC going rate but I think that just shows the type guy he is. He is in this to win and have as good a program as he can, not just to make every dime possible.

Joe knows more money will come with success and success comes with hiring good coaches and recruiters.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Joe knows more money will come with success and success comes with hiring good coaches and recruiters.

This. You listen to Joe talk and watch the way he carries himself. He exudes confidence. People that have confidence in their abilities know the money will take care of itself.